Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Buckwheat Sings
Feb 9, 2005
This company is literally one of my favorites even though Endless Space isn't that great of a game. Luckily the other ones are so good, it doesn't matter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Buckwheat Sings posted:

This company is literally one of my favorites even though Endless Space isn't that great of a game. Luckily the other ones are so good, it doesn't matter.

They were learning the ropes with ES. EL was a huge huge huge improvement.

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

:munch:
Amplitude and Triumph are among my favourite devs, the community rapport is top notch. Every time I've brought up bugs there was a dev response which often led to its inclusion in the very next patch. Compare that to sending a ticket into the abyss for an infinitude of other games.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky
ES is a very flawed game on many levels in terms of gameplay, but holy poo poo did they do interface and interface interaction right. I can't think of a single 4X game up until that point with such a smooth and easy to navigate interface. Even 4Xs released today often fall short of what they did back when it released.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

I remember getting more involved in following the development of ES and I was aghast at the idea of the community voting on what to put in the game, because if they started slavishly going down that road the game would be garbage. Having played the hell out of EL and DOTE I'm so happy they learned the right lesson: sure, let the community come up with things, but always vet it and always have the final say on everything. If they do come up with something cool, by all means use it.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

Cynic Jester posted:

ES is a very flawed game on many levels in terms of gameplay, but holy poo poo did they do interface and interface interaction right. I can't think of a single 4X game up until that point with such a smooth and easy to navigate interface. Even 4Xs released today often fall short of what they did back when it released.

I love all of the interface design for the Endless games.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I love the font they use. I wish i could find it and use it in all my daily applications

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
I must be a maniac because endless legends made my eyes roll into the back of my head out of boredom but I loved endless space.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Blacktoll posted:

I must be a maniac because endless legends made my eyes roll into the back of my head out of boredom but I loved endless space.

:trumppop:

GoodluckJonathan
Oct 31, 2003

Yeah, I really enjoyed Endless Space as well, but then again Endless Legends is good too so :shrug: bring on ES2

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

I mean I certainly got enough out of EL to consider it worth the money I spent, even if it ran out of replayability faster than you'd like for 4Xes.

EL is a loving masterwork though. Never seen a company learn that many lessons that well, and that quickly. ES2 could be a hell of a thing.

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012
I remember one of the big dick moves in Dungeon of the Endless: out of the starting characters, one of them is an obvious speedy-type runner and another is clearly a massive tank. If you choose them as your starting characters, it turns out they loving hate each other and after a few floors, get into an unavoidable fight and one of them will murder the other.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

So the Hissho are a minor race now. I would imagine the Pilgrims will get demoted similarly, hopefully not Horatio though.

Buckwheat Sings
Feb 9, 2005

Inadequately posted:

I remember one of the big dick moves in Dungeon of the Endless: out of the starting characters, one of them is an obvious speedy-type runner and another is clearly a massive tank. If you choose them as your starting characters, it turns out they loving hate each other and after a few floors, get into an unavoidable fight and one of them will murder the other.

But it's such an awesome dick move and really adds the lore. I don't know many games that'd have the balls to pull that off.

It's rare that I care about characters and lore in 4x games due to the devs being obsessed with procedural asset garbage. Amplitude meanwhile has such amazing races. Like ghost vampires stuck in armor and dragons who's leaders swap out every other season due to hibernation.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Defiance Industries posted:

So the Hissho are a minor race now. I would imagine the Pilgrims will get demoted similarly, hopefully not Horatio though.

Not every race is coming back as ES1 is now considered "non-canon." ES2 is basically a reboot.

They've stated there will be one human major faction, but haven't elaborated on who it is. My guess would be the Empire as a military/industrial niche.

EDIT: \/ one thing they've said is that the race quests now have branching questlines. Some of them are a little obvious from the faction intro videos (Sophons are going to likely have a rebellion against their AI, Vodyani will be dealing with the heretics in some fashion, Lumenis have the old families vs the upstart dust user, etc.) So humans who are assholes or not definitely seems a possibility.

Mokinokaro fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Sep 17, 2016

Buckwheat Sings
Feb 9, 2005

Mokinokaro posted:

Not every race is coming back as ES1 is now considered "non-canon." ES2 is basically a reboot.

They've stated there will be one human major faction, but haven't elaborated on who it is. My guess would be the Empire as a military/industrial niche.

I'd love it if they made humanity space baddies in this. Then they could have a great questline for a civil war revolt to redeem themselves! It's so boring how everyone always makes the human race a generic Startrek version instead of a Babylon 5 one.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

If they bring Harmony back, I'd like one major change to them. The ability to rush construction. Since they don't use dust, you could rush it some other way, like by sacrificing population or something.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Oh, apparently I missed a whole xpac for EL, how is Shifters? The Allayi look pretty cool, but how about the other new features?

Hopefully it'll go on sale when the new xpac comes out.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
It's a small thing, but the wiki has one hero where her bio nonchalantly refers to her saving her wife in her backstory and working hard to maintain their relationship even after she's been augmented by dust. :3:

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

Oh, apparently I missed a whole xpac for EL, how is Shifters? The Allayi look pretty cool, but how about the other new features?

Hopefully it'll go on sale when the new xpac comes out.

Shifters and the Allayi are really good. The Allayi are an interesting mix of exploration and city management. Their cities grow slowly and they get double expansion disapproval, , but all their districts are special and produce huge amounts of FIDS, so they're a quality over quantity race. They are better at scooping up pearls from the land (special gems that appear during winter now) and one of their units is a flying manta ray that just sucks resources out of the ground when parked over a deposit, even in unclaimed territory. Plus all their units shift from defensive during summer to offensive during winter.

For non Allayi races, the pearls can be used to craft rare items or build special buildings. You can also spend pearls to try to control which bad effect the next winter will bring.

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Everything's coming up explodey!

Pillbug
Ugh, I reinstalled because I hadn't played EL in forever, and I'm getting like 2 frames per second. Running on a GTX 980 Ti and similar hardware for the rest, drivers updated and on Windows 10. Anyone know why that might be?

E: Never mind, restarting Steam fixed it.

Lprsti99 fucked around with this message at 07:47 on Sep 18, 2016

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Buckwheat Sings posted:

I'd love it if they made humanity space baddies in this. Then they could have a great questline for a civil war revolt to redeem themselves! It's so boring how everyone always makes the human race a generic Startrek version instead of a Babylon 5 one.

I liked the Empire in ES a lot. Cool imagery in their art, big blocky ships are my jam and plus they blended together authoritarian politics and Plutocracy.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Defiance Industries posted:

I liked the Empire in ES a lot. Cool imagery in their art, big blocky ships are my jam and plus they blended together authoritarian politics and Plutocracy.

I suspect that if humanity is a major race in ES2, it's going to be Horatio. They were never a faction I enjoyed, but they're apparently very popular with the fanbase on the official site.

Not a fan of the new Roving Clans faction. A film noir mafia group that got lost and wound up an interstellar civilization, and also has an extremely boring visual design (humanoid frogs, wheeee) just doesn't grab me.

And the Hissho got demoted to a minor race. :(

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007
I'm still hoping that the Vaulters will be a major race since I love my techno vikings way too much.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Cythereal posted:

I suspect that if humanity is a major race in ES2, it's going to be Horatio. They were never a faction I enjoyed, but they're apparently very popular with the fanbase on the official site.

I really hope not. I don't like Horatio at all.

As for the Lumeris, I agree on their aesthetics being rather dull but their mechanics sound like a lot of fun.

EDIT: \/ the four armed guys' faces look so much like krogans in the concept art that it's distracting. We have three unknowns with one human confirmed so I'm expecting of the last two it'll be one new faction and one returning one. I could definitely see the Harmony returning due to how unique their mechanics were.

Mokinokaro fucked around with this message at 14:52 on Sep 18, 2016

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Mokinokaro posted:

I really hope not. I don't like Horatio at all.

As for the Lumeris, I agree on their aesthetics being rather dull but their mechanics sound like a lot of fun.

The new minor race robots also sound like they're a straight find/replace for the Sowers, so I'll be surprised if we see them come back which is a shame. Another of the new minor races is so striking close to WoW's pandarens I'm impressed they're getting away with it, even if the ES2 version are four-armed yetis instead of pandas.

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Any of a group of colors that are between red and yellow in hue. Middle English, from Anglo-French, from Old Occitan, from Arabic, from Persian, from Sanskrit.

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.
If they're smart they'll make Horatio an end-game event instead of a race.

The original Endless Space always felt more like a "proof of concept" than a real game. Like, Amplitude had some really cool ideas they wanted to play around with, but they put so much effort into engine and interface design that they kinda had to release a game to recoup costs. ES was a bit of a half-measure, EL seemed more like the game they would have wanted to make from the start.

Phenomenal studio, though. They have by far the best art/world design of any turn-based strategy game I've ever played, they've done the best job of anyone at figuring out how to do Early Access/player input correctly, great interface design, and they're very inventive with twisting established TBS game mechanics on their head. They even tossed out an masterful roguelike in their spare time. Someday, they may even figure out either make combat entertaining or cut it out entirely and actually make a game that surpasses Fall From Heaven.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
People need to pay more attention to the music and sound design of Legend, because it is sublime.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Where are these"meet the races" videos?

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

I dont get the hate Endless Space gets on this forum. Sure its not as mechanically refined as Endless Legend is, but its very pretty and it still has all that charm, originality, asymmetrical races and ease of use that makes Amplitude games so good. Also at this point it's super cheap so just the lore and writing are worth at least one playthrough, imo

One of my favorite parts of ES is that the only 4x game ive ever seen that has techs that represent how a post scarcity economy would work

Oh and the music is really good too. It's just a really good game in general it's just the balance thats bad, dont diss it goons

babypolis fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Sep 18, 2016

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

babypolis posted:

I dont get the hate Endless Space gets on this forum. Sure its not as mechanically refined as Endless Legend is, but its very pretty and it still has all that charm, originality, asymmetrical races and ease of use that makes Amplitude games so good. Also at this point it's super cheap so just the lore and writing are worth at least one playthrough, imo

Yeah, it's a bad game presented very well.

But it's a bad game.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
ES2 has got me legit hyped, and it's going head to head with Civ 6 for my probably final set of release purchases this year. As much as I appreciate Civ 6 keeping all of Civ 5's expansion features (which is pretty huge), Amplitude are absolute masters at making races feel different to play, which Firaxis has only gotten recently into. It also helps that ES is set in space and feels much more open in terms of possible story and lore, which Amplitude is also great at.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

Jastiger posted:

Where are these"meet the races" videos?

On the Endless Space Youtube account. They've also got an overarching info-trailer from last week for the Early Access that I haven't seen posted yet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yo3PQR_vS9M

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010

babypolis posted:

It's just a really good game in general it's just the balance thats bad, dont diss it goons

It's pretty to look at and the lore is nice, but very rough as an actual game. Like compared to other 4x games I find it ok, but compared to EL it's not very engaging.

Tanith
Jul 17, 2005

Alpha, Beta, Gamma cores
Use them, lose them, salvage more
Kick off the next AI war
In the Persean Sector
Really, the human faction quest in ES2 should just be about Horatio becoming the Horatio.

rocket_Magnet
Apr 5, 2005

:unsmith:
:neckbeard: amplitude have gotten flybyno to do the soundtrack to ES2! Endless space and legend really had some great soundtracks, really suited the settings so well. I remember being surprised with the music for both games when I tried them in EA especially legend's tracks I actually have the ost and still listen to it occasionally. http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLwNcU6UOEFaxMVCHUYQqWRTXJaBFUs2Qp

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.
Endless Legend got me to buy a music DLC and I'm not feeling a single bit of shame about it.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Lichtenstein posted:

Endless Legend got me to buy a music DLC and I'm not feeling a single bit of shame about it.

The Crusader Kings metal soundtracks are super sweet too.

So when is ES2 hitting early access? I really want to buy this one.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
Should be this week unless they run into major bugs.

Edit: \/ I'll add them later. Can't believe I missed the cult.

Mokinokaro fucked around with this message at 12:31 on Sep 19, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart
OP missed two races for EL - cultists(their gimmick is having only one supercity and converting villages everywhere for bonus population and resources) and mezari(just re-skinned Vaulters pretty much)

Pyromancer fucked around with this message at 12:42 on Sep 19, 2016