Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

I kinda wish that there was an option to slowly repair them other than paying a mountain of dust. Then again, I'm not spending a bunch of dust elsewhere, and it's fairly easy to get high in the black if you research the tier 1 economic techs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Safety Factor posted:

I actually have no idea how to do ground assaults/defenses well. Ships take forever to restock their manpower even in my own territory with the right laws in place.

Manpower is produced by food, so the Vodyani are exceptionally bad at it. You basically need to build up an empire stockpile of it, and the fastest way to do that is the "draft" button available on the military screen. It consumes influence and food (ie: population) to max out your stockpile.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

berenzen posted:

I kinda wish that there was an option to slowly repair them other than paying a mountain of dust. Then again, I'm not spending a bunch of dust elsewhere, and it's fairly easy to get high in the black if you research the tier 1 economic techs.

Repair costs are getting cut by 2/3rds next patch.

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

Mokinokaro posted:

Repair costs are getting cut by 2/3rds next patch.

Cool, now just let me glass a planet as the Vodyani and I'll be happy.

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
I finally understand everything there is to know about axes!
Is building defense ships useful? I had a bunch and the Cravers seemed to ignore them and go straight to planetary invasion which was frustrating.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Yeah I don't think they've yet worked out the new siege mechanics. Like in ES1 besieging a planet was a function of having ships in the system, which could be countered other ships in the system. The only fleet defense mechanic is stopping the enemy ships from leaving the system, which does nothing if they bring in a fleet that has better ground forces than you.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!
Is Endless Space 2 worth it right now in the current state? I know it's 25% less than it will be when it hits beta of Early Access according to the news for the game. I do like me some 4X strategy games.

I mean is it worth it more than Master of Orion or Stellaris?

IAmTheRad fucked around with this message at 06:56 on Oct 8, 2016

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

IAmTheRad posted:

Is Endless Space 2 worth it right now in the current state? I know it's 25% less than it will be when it hits beta of Early Access according to the news for the game. I do like me some 4X strategy games.

If you want something to play right now, I'd probably avoid Endless Space. It is very much in an unfinished state. Stellaris has a new expansion hitting soon which should improve things for it, while MoO4 is just very a very polished ehhhhhh game.

SetPhazers2Funk
Jan 27, 2008

Good, bad, I'm the one with the gun.

IAmTheRad posted:

It's definitely a better game than Master of Orion, but it's not in full release state (i.e. the game is stable but content, particularly late game content, is missing). I picked up Master of Orion to tide me over until this hit full release and regretted the decision. Can't speak for Stellaris.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
yeah, I would say wait unless you enjoy watching a game get made, while potentially yelling advice at the people making it. I backed Legend in EA and I liked watching it take shape.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Biggest problem is the price. Endless Space 2 is much cheaper than Stellaris, and with an expansion I'd bet I'd need to grab that as well to "enjoy" the game. I don't really like the idea of a real time strategy game. I didn't like Sins of the Solar Empire because of the realtime gameplay, but just loved Galactic Civilizations II. Heck, something to play right now I'd just reinstall GalCiv2. I like taking my time when playing 4X games.

I know Endless Space 2 isn't finished. If it was, I would have a much easier choice by just looking at the finished products. I enjoyed the hell out of Endless Space 1. I like Endless Legend even if I am garbage at it. Dungeons of the Endless is also enjoyable. So to me, Amplitude Studios has a very good track record. I don't mind playing a half finished game.

Edit: If it's garbage I'll just get a Steam refund. Woo.

IAmTheRad fucked around with this message at 07:16 on Oct 8, 2016

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.
I mean if you're going to buy it ANYWAY then sure why not, it's 25% off and that's as good a price as you'll see for another year (I am trying to convince myself not to follow this logic to its conclusion because I should not buy more games right now.)

Just don't expect much from it right now and you'll be fine. I'll probably buy it on discount because I'm a weak, weak man, and then play EL and Stellaris with their new patches and DLC until like Christmas and see where ES2 is then.

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

Anyone figure out what's the best way to spend essence as the Vodyani? Currently I'm going Ark1 Pop > Build Ark2 > Ark2 pop > Ark1 pop > Ark2 pop> Build Ark3 > Ark3 pop> Ark3 pop. That usually gets me right before era 2 at around turn 35 or so.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

HiKaizer posted:

Is building defense ships useful? I had a bunch and the Cravers seemed to ignore them and go straight to planetary invasion which was frustrating.

Put defence ships in an adjacent system on guard duty. If they're in orbit of the planet they're supposedly defending the AI can somehow still ground assault.

This is especially bad for Vodyani as you lose the Ark in an instant.

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
I finally understand everything there is to know about axes!
You can have ships orbit a specific planet? Is that anything like garrisons in Endless Legend?

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I don't know if it's intended, but I once prevented a ground assault by minimizing the pop-up and attacking the enemy fleet. The ground assault still happened, but the enemy had 0 troops. :v:

Clarste posted:

Manpower is produced by food, so the Vodyani are exceptionally bad at it. You basically need to build up an empire stockpile of it, and the fastest way to do that is the "draft" button available on the military screen. It consumes influence and food (ie: population) to max out your stockpile.
It took me forever to find that stupid button. I thought it would be planet-specific and instead it's just tossed in with the ship designs. Time to start a new game where I don't waste 25 turns building up manpower.

Safety Factor fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Oct 8, 2016

That Guy Bob
Apr 30, 2009

Safety Factor posted:

I don't know if it's intended, but I once prevented a ground assault by minimizing the pop-up and attacking the enemy fleet. The ground assault still happened, but the enemy had 0 troops. :v:

You can also do this with explorers if you want to send out probes from an explorer ship before it gets blown up by whatever.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Well, I did bite the bullet and purchased Endless Space 2 (Digital Deluxe). I have the special editions of all the other titles so what the hell.

Combat is very pretty when you watch it. I had a flagship with a hero in it who single handedly took out an entire wing of 3 enemy ships before the rest of my ships could get in range. I want my regular ships to eject their hot sticky loads of plasma into the enemy.

I just don't can't find any planets that the drat space cartel didn't buy up already to make their own colony that I can settle on. Or one that this minor faction owns. How can I do the quest to place a building inside a minor faction controlled system when I can't even put a colony ship on the minor faction controlled system when I have the tech to settle on one of their planets?

--
A patch in the near future will make it so you can play past the turn limit of 125 if you want to.

IAmTheRad fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Oct 8, 2016

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

IAmTheRad posted:

I just don't can't find any planets that the drat space cartel didn't buy up already to make their own colony that I can settle on. Or one that this minor faction owns. How can I do the quest to place a building inside a minor faction controlled system when I can't even put a colony ship on the minor faction controlled system when I have the tech to settle on one of their planets?

Who're you playing as? If you're Lumeris I think you just have to be faster, if you're Vodyani I think you're just kind of supposed to not give a poo poo and start leeching, and if you're Cravers, they did the hard part for you. If you're Sophons you seem kind of hosed though.

Right now there seems like a degeneracy problem with Cravers. They're designed to need to take over others' space, but there's only one or two minors per player and then you end up taking over other majors' capitals, which knocks them out of the game. It seems like one of the following situations is liable to play out with the default settings: 1) the various Cravers wipe everybody else out in the early game then duke it out over a dying galaxy, 2) the Cravers and the non-Cravers are non evenly distributed and the non-Cravers wind up with cramped tiny empires on the other end of the galaxy 3)a Lumeris superstate emerges far away from the Cravers. I guess there's 4)Cravers get wrecked by Vodyani.

Maybe 6 players for a medium galaxy is just too small?

Sophons still seem pretty screwed to me, either they get invaded by militarily superior forces or the Lumeris just take over too fast for them to deal with.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

I set it to 4 players, one for each race.

Also, Harmony disconfirmed? One of the Sophon quest chains involves finding Harmony ruins, and they're described as an ancient, extinct civilization. While that doesn't mean they won't show up in a later expansion, I think that strongly implies they won't be in the base game.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 08:34 on Oct 9, 2016

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

I believe they will put in a 'Human' civilization. In one of the promo pictures, they have human scientists working with a Sophon.
to be exact.

The question is are they going to go with something new, something from Endless Space, or Endless Legend? Perhaps both, by putting in the Vaulters. They seem to really like them for some reason.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky
Vaulters are a science faction, so it'd be sort of redundant with Sophons already doing their thing. I guess you could shift their focus to something else, but their secondary focus always felt like Defense, and defensive stuff tends to blow.

Dartonus
Apr 1, 2011

It only gets worse from here on in...

Clarste posted:

I set it to 4 players, one for each race.

Also, Harmony disconfirmed? One of the Sophon quest chain involves finding Harmony ruins, and they're described as an ancient, extinct civilization. While that doesn't mean they won't show up in a later expansion, I think that strongly implies they won't be in the base game.

Dunno if this is the same chain you're thinking of, but one quest chain spawns a fleet to fight and after the fact describes it as being "blue crystal". Weirdly, the ships spawned when I got this were one of the generic minor faction ships, and one of the heavier Sophon ships. Mainly my love for the Harmony speaking, but I figured that the Harmony ships aren't done yet so it was grabbing whatever ships were the right class as placeholders.

On a related note: has anyone seen any minor faction/pirate ships heavier than the Prowlers or whatever they're called?

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Cynic Jester posted:

Vaulters are a science faction, so it'd be sort of redundant with Sophons already doing their thing. I guess you could shift their focus to something else, but their secondary focus always felt like Defense, and defensive stuff tends to blow.

Well, there are 8 slots and 6 political factions (Scientific, Religious, Pacifist, Militarist, Ecologist, and Industrialist), so there has to be at least 1 overlap. Unless two of them are so weird that they don't even have the senate. Incidentally, we're currently missing an Ecologist and an Industrialist faction. I can definitely see UE showing up as the Industrialists, and while it's weird to imagine Sowers focused on food, they're probably the best fit for Ecologist of any of the previous game's factions. Or maybe Horatio. The Ecologist starting law (I think you get the starting laws for having a supermajority? it's not clear) allows you to colonize any type of world, so that's definitely Sowers-esque.

Dartonus posted:

Dunno if this is the same chain you're thinking of, but one quest chain spawns a fleet to fight and after the fact describes it as being "blue crystal". Weirdly, the ships spawned when I got this were one of the generic minor faction ships, and one of the heavier Sophon ships. Mainly my love for the Harmony speaking, but I figured that the Harmony ships aren't done yet so it was grabbing whatever ships were the right class as placeholders.

Yes, that was the quest. You disturbed the Harmony ruins and fought a Sophon ship for some reason. While I agree this was probably a placeholder, I still think it'd be really weird for the flavor text to talk about them as if they don't exist anymore if they're a selectable faction.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 08:49 on Oct 9, 2016

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

I'm pretty sure a human faction will be there. Seen another pic ingame with them in.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

They've said there will be a human faction. The only question is which one. I personally think United Empire is the most likely, but Vaulters have always been a fan favorite so who knows?

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

My bet is on vaulters. They are pretty much the only thing that ties Endless Legend to ES I and they will tie EL to ES II.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

It does seem likely, but honestly I loathe the Vaulters so I certainly hope not.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH

Clarste posted:

I can definitely see UE showing up as the Industrialists, and while it's weird to imagine Sowers focused on food, they're probably the best fit for Ecologist of any of the previous game's factions.

I think the Unfallen will end up being the "Food" faction, seeing as they literally use their own bodies to grow space ships. It makes the most sense for that. And the UE is most likely going to be the Industrialist faction again, yeah.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
My money's on Horatio, they're super-popular on the official forums.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

I think Horatio would be a minor faction. They're a popular joke, but no one especially cares for their gameplay. Vaulters are way more popular than them anyway.

And yeah, the trees are almost certainly the ecologist faction, now that you mention it.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 13:17 on Oct 9, 2016

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos
I poked around on the webpage and yeah, apparently the winning game-design choice is that they don't use production at all in favour of food, but that might be tweaked.

If you don't want to go to the creation contest forum page, here's the details:

quote:

The Unfallen Faction: Nearly-Immortal, Dual-Natured Sentient Trees that CANNOT DECLARE WAR WHILE PACIFISTS ARE IN CONTROL OF THE SENATE.
Pacifist Diplomats - "Speak Softly, but Carry a Big Stick."

Faction-Specific Traits:
War and Peace from the Senate: The Unfallen cannot declare war while the Pacifists are in control of the senate. As they're peaceful by nature, they also receive a 20% malus to happiness when they declare war with anyone else in control of the senate, except Militarists. With Militarists in control of the senate, they can declare war freely and receive no malus to their happiness.

Smoking the Trees: The Unfallen can force peace by sacrificing a population unit, as their smoke is intoxicating and has an extreme pacification effect. This truce lasts twice as long as a normal truce as the effect of the smoke is addictive, too. This sacrifice is highly regarded as one of the most noble things an Unfallen can do.

Living Dwellings: The Unfallen use food as their production, as they use their own to construct their infrastructure. Therefore, Industry is not utilized.

From One, Cosmic Power: They use their own to build monstrous ships, which require populations points to build. As such, some of the larger hulls are available a bit earlier, too. They also regenerate over time, without the need for technology.

They're In The Trees!: As The Unfallen share an affinity with all plant life, plant life on other faction's planets give The Unfallen some non-detailed information once they've become aware of The Unfallen's existence. Build queue, population and stationed ships are known to The Unfallen.

Peace Provides Sentience: Being at peace with the Unfallen provides you with one Unfallen population point at every planet you have with a temperate environment, once each planet has room. As a race achieves peace with the Unfallen, the Unfallen enlighten the native tree population. Each Unfallen population unit receives a bonus to food production.

This is from the same page the earlier ship pictures came from. It is subject to change when they are actually added (going through it looks like Smoking the Trees in particular probably needs to change or at least get refined), but it was the concept that won.

Prism fucked around with this message at 14:11 on Oct 9, 2016

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
drat, turning yourself into a living toke in order to bring about peace is pretty wild.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Actually, now that I think about it it would be kind of weird for them to have this whole Senate faction design and not have anything planned ahead of time for Ecologist. I mean, they didn't know what would be submitted for the contest, right? This one's also all about being Pacifist. It's more likely to be one of the 2 wildcards than the basic Ecologist.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Cythereal posted:

My money's on Horatio, they're super-popular on the official forums.

Apparently the game files have references to both the United Empire and Horatio. But they also have a faction referred to as "time Lords."

My guess is Empire for major and Horatio for minor. Vaulters have been hinted to show and I'm guessing minor as well. We've got ten unknown minor races so plenty of room.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
I bet Vaulters come back as a Minor Faction based on Auriga. They'll start the game with a a major defensive installation (think Orion's defenses in MoO) and once included into an empire give large science boosts and an extremely dust & science heavy planet.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes
I'm playing some EL for the first time since not enjoying it at release: Can I not build districts over ruins? It's rather annoying since they are blocking the direct route to a sweet tile.

I hope Empire returns in ES2, evil space humans are the best race.

IAmTheRad posted:

Biggest problem is the price. Endless Space 2 is much cheaper than Stellaris, and with an expansion I'd bet I'd need to grab that as well to "enjoy" the game. I don't really like the idea of a real time strategy game.

90% of the cool new stuff for Stellaris is going to be in the free patch, the DLC is a fairly minor story pack. For the real time aspect, have you played any Paradox game? It's not like an RTS.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Darkrenown posted:

I'm playing some EL for the first time since not enjoying it at release: Can I not build districts over ruins? It's rather annoying since they are blocking the direct route to a sweet tile.

I hope Empire returns in ES2, evil space humans are the best race.

90% of the cool new stuff for Stellaris is going to be in the free patch, the DLC is a fairly minor story pack. For the real time aspect, have you played any Paradox game? It's not like an RTS.

I already got Endless Space 2. I'm enjoying it even while it's an unfinished early access game.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Chocolate Chunk posted:

I bet Vaulters come back as a Minor Faction based on Auriga. They'll start the game with a a major defensive installation (think Orion's defenses in MoO) and once included into an empire give large science boosts and an extremely dust & science heavy planet.

Auriga is already in the game, btw. It's one of several "unique" planets that you discover from time to time. They pretty much all suck, as far as I can tell, except for the major faction homeworlds which are also unique. Auriga is an Ice world which can't even be colonized with the available techs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
Auriga in ES1 gave a big science boost due to the Endless ruins. I suspect it'll be similar here once you can colonize it.