Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

That TQ thread is spilling into PoE talk so I figured it was time to have an general action-rpg thread.

Diablo, PoE, Grim Dawn, Titan Quest, Dungeon Siege, etc.

Sperg out, group up, I don't give a poo poo. Just keep clicking.

--------------------------------------

Diablo ISO and HD Mod

Diablo ISO
Diablo Official Patch
Belzebub/Tchernobog

Kazvall fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Sep 16, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Lately I've been playing this Diablo 1 HD mod called Belzebub. Here's a video if anyone is curious.

The multiplayer client is called Tchernobog. I can explain how to get it all installed if need be.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m4PfLbMJCoA

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

I know this wasn't your original avatar but I just love this game. Cheers, rediscover.
Hardcore is to scary for me

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

I enjoy the adrenaline rush of almost dying. Yet, dying is pretty depressing.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

i like the rush of HC but i like being able to gently caress up a lot more, plus hc can really suck online

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Also, if you haven't seen this, it's the Diablo: Postmortem by David Brevik and it's quite a good watch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VscdPA6sUkc&t=2s

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Bobnumerotres posted:

i like the rush of HC but i like being able to gently caress up a lot more, plus hc can really suck online

a lot of games of this type aren't really designed around hardcore, either, and/or like you said lag is a bitch (I'm looking at you early poe)

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
i'd play HC mode in these games if the first part of the game wasn't always such a loving pain in the rear end

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

I know this wasn't your original avatar but I just love this game. Cheers, rediscover.
playing PoE with bob and drat this game is way better than TQ lol. We're murking everything btw, natch

Bolverkur
Aug 9, 2012

diablos rule. i like to click skelingtons. i like to click demons. i like to click treasures. i like to click imps.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

poe is the kind of game that im playing for a while and i cant stop and when i look at the time 4 hours blew by

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Kazvall posted:

a lot of games of this type aren't really designed around hardcore, either, and/or like you said lag is a bitch (I'm looking at you early poe)

d2 is kind of but since you can just instantly save & exit there's no point. less "i've never died with this char" more "i always hit alt+f4 really fast"

d3 is not designed for it at all. lategame monsters can vacuum you into explosions that oneshot you and you're hosed, if the game doesn't desync midcombat

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.

Bobnumerotres posted:

d2 is kind of but since you can just instantly save & exit there's no point. less "i've never died with this char" more "i always hit alt+f4 really fast"

Play with honor.

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
I'm going to install and play PoE because I gave up the first time after I saw the skill tree

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler

Black Baby Goku posted:

I'm going to install and play PoE because I gave up the first time after I saw the skill tree

this is what i did as well, i should give it another look when i can

extremely steampunk
Sep 11, 2001

PoE is good, I haven't played since just afte the first big expansion though

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
Poe isn't that hard for a beginner even tho the tree looks intimidating. If you have arpg experience you'll be able to make your way around the tree to build a familiar build and then later once you understand the game more you can start reading guides and optimizing

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Rafza posted:

Welcome to Imp Zone

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler

Pablo Gigante posted:

Welcome to Imp Zone

thank you

how long does it take to reach the endgame of poe? not sure if ill stick with it that long but i tried it a bit this morning and it was fun

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Bobnumerotres posted:

d3 is not designed for it at all. lategame monsters can vacuum you into explosions that oneshot you and you're hosed, if the game doesn't desync midcombat

Heh, those save and exits are just as real and adrenaline pumping as actually almost dying. Logging out one moment before death gets you.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Rafza posted:

Its pretty daunting at first. Once you play around a bit and start getting a cool build, it starts to click.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

what distinguishes POE from other arpgs? it looks kinda generic to me. Grim Dawn, however, looks unique and interesting with it's cool 18th century witch hunter aesthetic, its def on my list of things to buy when they go on hecka sale.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

PoE's most obvious claim to fame is the big skill tree thing but it also has like Leagues with different rules. And races and stuff. And it's probably the biggest throwback to Diablo 2 since uhhh Titan Quest probably.

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!
Serious question, if ARPGs are such an addictive why aren't there more portable ones? The only one I can really think of is the GBA version of Lord of the Rings: Return of the King. I played a bunch of the PSX version of Diablo on my PSP

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Grim Dawn has managed to have blunderbusses and other antique type weapons without being steam punk at all. That's quite a feat imo

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.
I don't like Hardcore except on PoE because their hardcore leagues have cool gimmicks sometimes.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Lumpy the Cook posted:

Serious question, if ARPGs are such an addictive why aren't there more portable ones? The only one I can really think of is the GBA version of Lord of the Rings: Return of the King. I played a bunch of the PSX version of Diablo on my PSP

I think it's as simple as a dpad not working well for the formula. Then looking at inventory management and such. D1 psx is definitely a strong release. And tons of people play d3 on console, but that's with a full controller.

Record of Lodoss War would be a fun handheld game.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Finster Dexter posted:

I don't like Hardcore except on PoE because their hardcore leagues have cool gimmicks sometimes.

True, and no one plays hc poe to reach the endgame. It's just not loving possible for 99% of players. It's already a more hardcore experience.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
i wish there was a better version of borderlands. mostly something shorter, with like a 1 or 2 hour campaign, much faster progression, and wilder abilities and skills.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

There was a game in development called Hellraid that would have been Heretic + Diablo, first person. Sadly it's cancelled now or some crap.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Kazvall posted:

I think it's as simple as a dpad not working well for the formula. Then looking at inventory management and such. D1 psx is definitely a strong release. And tons of people play d3 on console, but that's with a full controller.

Record of Lodoss War would be a fun handheld game.

there's also the fact that most phones are actually pretty poo poo in terms of real horsepower, and almost all arpgs require a fair bit of crap like map generation and enemy generation. even if you get it to run at a smooth FPS with all that, it slaughters batteries and ask anyone who owned a game gear, it doesn't matter how much fun a game is if you can only play it for 15 minutes before the battery's dead.

maybe you could get away with doing some iphone-only thing since apple all but mind controls people to upgrade every year so you at least know what you're programming for, but gently caress off trying to program for android where you could have a thousand different phones with a thousand different capabilities and battery profiles.

some kind of eye of the beholder style thing that's turn based and generated with daily dungeons might be cool and good though? interesting to think about

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

sector_corrector posted:

i wish there was a better version of borderlands. mostly something shorter, with like a 1 or 2 hour campaign, much faster progression, and wilder abilities and skills.

this is basically battleborn

sword_man.gif
Apr 12, 2007

Fun Shoe
really the only reason i don't play poe more is they still make you do the story 3 times before opening up their version of d3 rifts and my dream arpg is enter dungeon -> click monster -> get loot

it's always act 2 that stops me because the jungle sucks

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Check out Victor Vran if you like ARPGs, steampunk and memes.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
PoE may look slightly dated now and just a few short years ago it had a quite limited monster pool. But they're working to fix that which is nice. The skill tree is huge and makes you go what the heck!!! No way!!! But most of it is travel nodes or is worthless on your build so you can just ignore it. You can probably get to Merciless just picking whatever and learning the game before you need to make a real build.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

sword_man.gif posted:

really the only reason i don't play poe more is they still make you do the story 3 times before opening up their version of d3 rifts and my dream arpg is enter dungeon -> click monster -> get loot

it's always act 2 that stops me because the jungle sucks

Fear not friend. A2 is shorter now

sword_man.gif
Apr 12, 2007

Fun Shoe

Larry Parrish posted:

Fear not friend. A2 is shorter now

yeah but i wish it didn't exist at all ykwim

act 2 is the only one i outright dislike because it was huge and required a ton of walking back and forth and the monster density was generally garbage iirc

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

yeah it was basically like diablo act 3

its prly not a coincidence that all jungle acts in all arpgs are garbage

sword_man.gif
Apr 12, 2007

Fun Shoe
also all desert acts. act 3 doesn't count cause you don't spend the whole thing in a desert, i liked finally getting to the part where youre at the palace cause the density goes up and the dungeons are more concise

basically i want lots of a in my arpg. big packs of monsters and evil men i must decimate with my magical and martial skill.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler

sword_man.gif posted:

also all desert acts. act 3 doesn't count cause you don't spend the whole thing in a desert, i liked finally getting to the part where youre at the palace cause the density goes up and the dungeons are more concise

basically i want lots of a in my arpg. big packs of monsters and evil men i must decimate with my magical and martial skill.

dunno if there's a sewer level equivalent in poe but in d3 the sewers were the worst for me

• Locked thread