Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

it's a tie between arcane sanctuary and maggot lair, for me

don't mind jungle/desert that much, it's mostly the charge bolt mobs that suck assholes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!

Kazvall posted:

I think it's as simple as a dpad not working well for the formula. Then looking at inventory management and such. D1 psx is definitely a strong release. And tons of people play d3 on console, but that's with a full controller.

Record of Lodoss War would be a fun handheld game.

PSP, 3DS and Vita all have joysticks... It would probably work best on Vita though.

Coolguye posted:

there's also the fact that most phones are actually pretty poo poo in terms of real horsepower, and almost all arpgs require a fair bit of crap like map generation and enemy generation. even if you get it to run at a smooth FPS with all that, it slaughters batteries and ask anyone who owned a game gear, it doesn't matter how much fun a game is if you can only play it for 15 minutes before the battery's dead.

maybe you could get away with doing some iphone-only thing since apple all but mind controls people to upgrade every year so you at least know what you're programming for, but gently caress off trying to program for android where you could have a thousand different phones with a thousand different capabilities and battery profiles.

some kind of eye of the beholder style thing that's turn based and generated with daily dungeons might be cool and good though? interesting to think about

Portable, for portable systems. Not mobile AIDS. Also did you just sincerely recommend Battleborn to somebody

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

sword_man.gif posted:

really the only reason i don't play poe more is they still make you do the story 3 times before opening up their version of d3 rifts and my dream arpg is enter dungeon -> click monster -> get loot

it's always act 2 that stops me because the jungle sucks

that's another thing my dream ARPG would have: a story that only happens once, and then you can choose whether or not to do it after that.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
like, a lot of these games (even modern ones) have stuff that carries over from classic MMORPG design that was there to get people to pay subscription fees, but these games have never had subscription fees, so just get rid of that poo poo

sword_man.gif
Apr 12, 2007

Fun Shoe

sector_corrector posted:

like, a lot of these games (even modern ones) have stuff that carries over from classic MMORPG design that was there to get people to pay subscription fees, but these games have never had subscription fees, so just get rid of that poo poo

d3 gets this super right in their seasons cause you can just click the nephalem rift thing at level 1 and go to town

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Lumpy the Cook posted:

PSP, 3DS and Vita all have joysticks... It would probably work best on Vita though.

The psp joystick/thumbstick hurts after playing for long periods. I felt this pain before peacewalker came out on console. Regardless, I think developers think it's a no no zone, and simply won't create a product they think won't sell. Soon as some indie gently caress comes along and makes something fun, maybe we'll see some good ports or unique software titels.

sword_man.gif
Apr 12, 2007

Fun Shoe
like if poe did that with their maps (let them be usable and doable at level 1) i would be all over that

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

is it even possible to rush people in poe? have yet to try

sword_man.gif
Apr 12, 2007

Fun Shoe
if you don't do the story you miss out on skill points and other stuff like the bandit passives tho so even if you did get rushed you'd have to go back and do it

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Lumpy the Cook posted:

Serious question, if ARPGs are such an addictive why aren't there more portable ones? The only one I can really think of is the GBA version of Lord of the Rings: Return of the King. I played a bunch of the PSX version of Diablo on my PSP

Dungeon Siege for PSP was a fantastic arpg, try it out.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Lumpy the Cook posted:

Portable, for portable systems. Not mobile AIDS. Also did you just sincerely recommend Battleborn to somebody
no i told him what he was asking

i figured the horror of it was implicit

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

The arpg Nox is free on Origin right now, complete with the coop expansion

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

That said I think it's well worth the $6 on GOG

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
There's only like 2 side quests that give skill points and the bandits are required to activate the Vaal Oversoul. You can skip almost all the side quests if you want but they give you useful stuff. Like don't bother doing the tidal island in Cruel I guess but it's almost required in A1 for the quicksilver. Same for the crypt one in A2 normal so you can get a good unique jewel

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
A lot of them give refund points which are really expensive so they're useful but usually not till end game

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

I've never been a big ARPG guy but I really enjoy Path of Exile. It's really fun to play 2 player and they update it so often that there's always something new when we want to get back into it.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

they have updated the maps a lot in poe. acts 1, 2 and 3 were consolidated and made way more straightforward. monster density is also pretty good by the end of A1. a2 and 3 used to be a horrible mess lol

i dont mind nightmare and hell in poe because the density skyrockets and they even put new monsters everywhere, elite mobs also start getting more dangerous and you see more rogue exiles and special events. i say def give it a try if you last played it like 4 major updates ago, the game has transformed a lot.

sword_man.gif
Apr 12, 2007

Fun Shoe
i thinkt he last time i played i actually played w/you??

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.

sword_man.gif posted:

really the only reason i don't play poe more is they still make you do the story 3 times before opening up their version of d3 rifts and my dream arpg is enter dungeon -> click monster -> get loot

it's always act 2 that stops me because the jungle sucks

Heard they were gonna look into this for future seasons or patches? Hope it's true cause that poo poo sucks. Same reason I stopped playing marvel heroes. Make people play thru story once s they can see but then after that let them choose to start at end game for future characters.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
D1 was actually pretty perfect in terms of that, but I think that's just because it has such a thin story.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

gonna play poe till i work later . ppl bring up the passive tree but its very easy to navigate. if you pick the big hulk dude he starts near a bunch of health, armor, melee dmg etc. the only real choice you have to make is "do i wanna do 2h/dual wield/sword n board" and then you just keep picking what sounds cool, the tree is great at guiding you into a focus

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

prophecies own

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Diablo ISO
Diablo official patch
Belzebub/Tchernobog

Install Diablo from the iso. Give the Diablo.exe admin rights, and then install the official patch after moving it to the Diablo folder. Extract Belzebub or Tchernobog to the Diablo folder after that's done. Move diabdat.mpq to the Diablo folder from the iso, as well.

Belz is SP, Tcherno is MP.

The saves are NOT compatible across the two versions. Decide if you want to play with friends or not. There are no quests in mulitplayer and some minor crashing that's not a big deal. (ex. golems that die in a fire/lightning wall can crash the game)

Kazvall fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Sep 15, 2016

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

If you can port forward, you can connect straight through ip. I have to use hamachi. Will provide that info if people want to play Tcherno. I have a level 11 barb, and a level 31 necro atm.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Added links to op cause why not

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

Kazvall posted:

it's a tie between arcane sanctuary and maggot lair, for me

don't mind jungle/desert that much, it's mostly the charge bolt mobs that suck assholes

Durial ended many runs for me

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Durry without that freeze ignore unique on a melee class was rough.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Kazvall posted:

Durry without that freeze ignore unique on a melee class was rough.

another reason i hate vanilla d2 in retrospect: so much of the high level game relies on runewords and uniques that couldn't possibly exist at scale w/out duping and botting

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

sector_corrector posted:

another reason i hate vanilla d2 in retrospect: so much of the high level game relies on runewords and uniques that couldn't possibly exist at scale w/out duping and botting

yeah blizzards response to the dupebug being so common was to crank enemy damage way up in hell mode and it hosed over the people who weren't cheating lol

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Early d2 before uniques had any prereqs ftw

sword_man.gif
Apr 12, 2007

Fun Shoe
gamer confession: ive never played through d2, i got to act 3 with my brother once and we had no idea what we were doing and just were getting crushed and got frustrated and quit

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

sword_man.gif posted:

gamer confession: ive never played through d2, i got to act 3 with my brother once and we had no idea what we were doing and just were getting crushed and got frustrated and quit

pretty much every ARPG that has been released since is better. however, there are some incredibly sick D2 mods out there that make it into a great game.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

That's cool cause I've played enough d2 for 3 people.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

eastern sun fixes everything wrong with D2 and adds so much that i had to uninstall it or i would never stop playing it

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

D2 median xl sigma is out soon. One main feature is hd resolution and custom maps.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
thinking about playing through D2 vanilla again is giving me server agita

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

I would offer to rush you on hardcore but that never goes well

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

Kazvall posted:

I would offer to rush you on hardcore but that never goes well

Lmao. drat I'm getting the D2 feels

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
Grinding Baal for 320202s and rainbow facets all night for the win

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
/me thinks about having to go through all of the tombs to assemble a horadric cube in the year 2016 and begins to sweat heavily

• Locked thread