Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Dennis System
Aug 4, 2014

Nothing in Jurassic World is natural, we have always filled gaps in the genome with the DNA of other animals. And if the genetic code was pure, many of them would look quite different. But you didn't ask for reality, you asked for more teeth.
I've seen the original series and the End of Evangelion, but I don't understand what the hell was even going on in that show. Maybe someone here could explain the show to me and answer a couple of questions?

1 - What are the angels and what are their goals?

2 - What are the Evas?

3 - Who is Lillith?

4 - Who is Adam?

5 - What is Seele and what are it's goals?

6 - What is NERV and what are it's goals?

7 - What is Gendo's goal?

8 - Why is the final Angel a humanoid? All the other Angels are giant, super-monsters, so why does this Angel suddenly look like a human?

9 - What was the purpose of the Impacts?

I have many more questions, but I think the above are the most important. Anyone?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i forgot

Fastball LIVE in concert
Jul 10, 2010

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
all that poo poo is superfluous crap to the core simple story about depression and self worth. it doesn't have to all be consistent or make perfect sense and understanding it won't add much to the core meaning so if you're analysing it for more than the fun of the mental exercise kill yourself

Nonviolent J
Jul 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Soiled Meat
No byt it was the first non pokemon anime i ever saw on sbs near 20 year ago

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

all you need to know

neon genesis evangelion is the touching story of a teenage boy who visits his coworker in the hospital and while she's laying there unconscious he jacks off and cums

HerraS
Apr 15, 2012

Looking professional when committing genocide is essential. This is mostly achieved by using a beret.

Olive drab colour ensures the genocider will remain hidden from his prey until it's too late for them to do anything.

The answer is ALIENS!!!!

Creamed Cormp
Jan 8, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
The only thing worth knowing is that Asuka is best girl, while Rei is poop that smells like garbage (and poop).

Misato is best Lady tho.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

The Dennis System posted:

I've seen the original series and the End of Evangelion, but I don't understand what the hell was even going on in that show. Maybe someone here could explain the show to me and answer a couple of questions?

1 - What are the angels and what are their goals?

2 - What are the Evas?

3 - Who is Lillith?

4 - Who is Adam?

5 - What is Seele and what are it's goals?

6 - What is NERV and what are it's goals?

7 - What is Gendo's goal?

8 - Why is the final Angel a humanoid? All the other Angels are giant, super-monsters, so why does this Angel suddenly look like a human?

9 - What was the purpose of the Impacts?

I have many more questions, but I think the above are the most important. Anyone?

evas are like...synthetic angels or something. they've got fleshy bits mixed in with all the circuitry and crap. adam was the first angel, and any time he pops up the planet kinda shits itself something fierce. Lillith is another angel and humans apparently are her offspring. Don't ask me how.

Seele wants everyone to share one collective consciousness and live forever. They want to be the orange goo forever. NERV/Gendo wants to be reuinited with Yui because Gendo got tired of banging the younger blonde that worked for him.

The final angel is a humanoid because it's loving cool, that's why. Humans are spooky.

Impacts are code for whenever Adam pops up and accidentally destroys stuff, usually. Exceptions made in the Rebuild movies, but gently caress if I understand that poo poo.

Lemme drink a few more beers and I'll get REALLY in depth.

EDIT:

WitchFetish posted:

The only thing worth knowing is that Asuka is best girl, while Rei is poop that smells like garbage (and poop).

Misato is best Lady tho.

This works a lot better than my answer

The Dennis System
Aug 4, 2014

Nothing in Jurassic World is natural, we have always filled gaps in the genome with the DNA of other animals. And if the genetic code was pure, many of them would look quite different. But you didn't ask for reality, you asked for more teeth.

Shinjobi posted:

evas are like...synthetic angels or something. they've got fleshy bits mixed in with all the circuitry and crap. adam was the first angel, and any time he pops up the planet kinda shits itself something fierce. Lillith is another angel and humans apparently are her offspring. Don't ask me how.

Seele wants everyone to share one collective consciousness and live forever. They want to be the orange goo forever. NERV/Gendo wants to be reuinited with Yui because Gendo got tired of banging the younger blonde that worked for him.

The final angel is a humanoid because it's loving cool, that's why. Humans are spooky.

Impacts are code for whenever Adam pops up and accidentally destroys stuff, usually. Exceptions made in the Rebuild movies, but gently caress if I understand that poo poo.

Lemme drink a few more beers and I'll get REALLY in depth.

EDIT:

This works a lot better than my answer

So it sounds like Seele are pretty cool guys then. It's too bad Gendo hosed them over.

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

I alone can see through the media bias.

I'm also stupid on a scale that can only be measured in Reddits.

HerraS posted:

The answer is ALIENS!!!!

Correct.

I feel some pity so I'll elaborate. Keep in mind this is all stupid window dressing to the core story.

Adam and Lilith are lifeform factories. They were meant to terraform a joint and then spit out babies. Lilith is the progenitor of humans while adam is the same for the angels. They shoot out different kinds of lifeforms though and were not intended to be based on the same planet. One angel is equivalent to the entire human race. They're unitary organisms and we aren't.

Some humans figured this out and became the illuminati. That's seele. They want to turn the human race into a unitary organism like the angels for various reasons. They caused the second impact by tampering with adam. The impact itself is a terraforming event, originally intended to make a planet ready for angels. It wasn't supposed to go off with lilims, us, already on the planet. Despite the fuckup, seele learns how to make fake angels via adam that are controllable with the addition of mommy souls. That's evas.

Nerve is a testing and defense arm of seele headed by gendo. He's (not so) secretly a traitor and wants the same thing seele does, except on his own terms, because he wants to be with his wife, whose mentality is stuck in 01.

I've now lost all my hard earned gbs cred so enjoy. Hope it was worth it, rear end in a top hat.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
The way I understand it, the angels were a type of organism that took a different evolutionary path then humans. They want to merge with Adam to trigger some kind of of jump to the next stage of evolution.

Supposedly humans are fighting to stop this, but Gendo is a selfish bastard that wants to be with his wife and is trying to make it play out a certain way.

The Evas are clones of angels with human souls somehow sealed inside. Unit 01 had Shinjis mom inside, Unit 02 had Reis moms soul in turn.

Theres a lot of other :psyduck: stuff but the gist is that we're all orange goo wrapped inside forcefields made up of our egoes and the juicy center is part of some superorganism that is meant to merge.

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

So it sounds like Seele are pretty cool guys then. It's too bad Gendo hosed them over.

Nah. They misuse ancient tech (adam mostly) in such a way that it fucks up the whole planet for selfish reasons. Immortality mostly. Same with gendo. Both sides play god to horrific effect.

SatansChoice
Sep 14, 2016

by Smythe
Eureka 7 is basically Neon Genesis for ytv kids

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

Panfilo posted:

The way I understand it, the angels were a type of organism that took a different evolutionary path then humans. They want to merge with Adam to trigger some kind of of jump to the next stage of evolution.

It's not mentioned but presumably adam remained inactive till seele hosed with it, since there were no angels until then and only one impact that was what made the earths natural biosphere, so that was lilith.

Specifically the angels are aiming for adam and lilith, again presumably to stop humans from loving with them. Angels always attack nerve which is where both adam and lilith are housed.

SatansChoice
Sep 14, 2016

by Smythe
REMORT (pronounced like reboot)

The Dennis System
Aug 4, 2014

Nathilus posted:

Correct.

I feel some pity so I'll elaborate. Keep in mind this is all stupid window dressing to the core story.

Adam and Lilith are lifeform factories. They were meant to terraform a joint and then spit out babies. Lilith is the progenitor of humans while adam is the same for the angels. They shoot out different kinds of lifeforms though and were not intended to be based on the same planet. One angel is equivalent to the entire human race. They're unitary organisms and we aren't.

Some humans figured this out and became the illuminati. That's seele. They want to turn the human race into a unitary organism like the angels for various reasons. They caused the second impact by tampering with adam. The impact itself is a terraforming event, originally intended to make a planet ready for angels. It wasn't supposed to go off with lilims, us, already on the planet. Despite the fuckup, seele learns how to make fake angels via adam that are controllable with the addition of mommy souls. That's evas.

Nerve is a testing and defense arm of seele headed by gendo. He's (not so) secretly a traitor and wants the same thing seele does, except on his own terms, because he wants to be with his wife, whose mentality is stuck in 01.

I've now lost all my hard earned gbs cred so enjoy. Hope it was worth it, rear end in a top hat.

Interesting. This actually clears up a lot of stuff. But why is Adam on Earth if the Earth is a Lillith planet? Shouldn't he be off on some Angel planet? And I thought Shinji's mom was the basis of all Evas. I didn't think there were different mothers for each Eva.

LT56
Sep 9, 2016

by Smythe
Is Eva the metaphorical term for top female pro gamer that owns the boys named caroline or something? ;)

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

Interesting. This actually clears up a lot of stuff. But why is Adam on Earth if the Earth is a Lillith planet? Shouldn't he be off on some Angel planet? And I thought Shinji's mom was the basis of all Evas. I didn't think there were different mothers for each Eva.

Cosmic coincidence. They are both part of a larger life-breeding program, and of all the who knows how many biofactories that were seeded, two ended up close to each other. Iirc adam actually landed on the moon and was brought to earth by some cataclysm.

Each eva has the pilot's mom inside. Except 00. I have no idea about 00. An earlier rei maybe. Eventually the figure out how to automate evas with reis whether they have a soul or not. That's the dummy plug system. This works cuz rei is a subset of lilith. Presumably she has overrides embedded in her by nature. It's kinda weird though because as we've said, evas are from adam, not lilith.

Nathilus fucked around with this message at 09:59 on Sep 15, 2016

clone on the phone
Aug 5, 2003

All japanimation is pedo bait

personable decorum
Sep 7, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
We gonna gerrymander or get off the pot?

paul_soccer10
Mar 28, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Earth is under attack by gigantic alien monsters (called Kaiju) emerging from an inter-dimensional portal called "The Breach" at the bottom of the Pacific Ocean. Humanity unites to construct colossal robots, nicknamed Jaegers, to combat the alien threat. Each Jaeger is controlled by two or more pilots, who are mentally linked via a process called "drifting" to share the mental stress of piloting the machine.

In 2020, Gipsy Danger, piloted by brothers Raleigh and Yancy Becket, is assigned to protect the Alaskan coastline from a Kaiju, code named Knifehead. The monster survives the initial assault and blindsides Gipsy Danger, then rips open her hull and kills Yancy. Raleigh takes control of Gipsy alone and kills Knifehead. Traumatized by the loss of his brother, Raleigh quits the Jaeger program.

Five years later, Kaiju attacks have increased in both frequency and strength, to the point that Jaegers are being destroyed faster than they can be built. World leaders decide to cut funding for the Jaeger program in favor of anti-Kaiju coastal walls. Marshal Stacker Pentecost, veteran Jaeger pilot and commanding officer of the program, summons the surviving Jaegers and pilots to a base in Hong Kong called Shatterdome. He finds Raleigh and convinces him to rejoin the program and make a last stand.

At Shatterdome, Raleigh and Pentecost are greeted by Mako Mori, the director of the Jaeger refurbishment. He sees the remaining Jaegers and their crews: Striker Eureka (Australian), Cherno Alpha (Russian), and Crimson Typhoon (Chinese). The fourth Jaeger is Gipsy Danger, rebuilt and refurbished with additional weapons and nuclear reactor. Pentecost tells Raleigh his plan is to use the four Jaegers to seal the Breach with a nuclear weapon. To find a new partner to pilot Gipsy, Raleigh holds a tryout with the base's fighters, and finds his most "drift-compatible" partner to be Mori, who is revealed to be Pentecost's adopted daughter. In their test drift, Raleigh goes out of alignment after reliving the moment his brother died, causing Mako to become lost in her memory of the Kaiju attack that orphaned her, and nearly discharges Gipsy Danger's plasma caster. Pentecost grounds Mako, leaving Raleigh without a copilot.

Pentecost consults with Kaiju scientists Newton Geiszler and Hermann Gottlieb. Herman believes that the Breach is stabilizing, allowing increasing numbers of Kaiju to invade at a time, but allowing them to drop the weapon into the Breach. Newton, for his part, creates a device that allows him to drift with a Kaiju's brain fragment, and discovers that the Kaiju are bioweapons created by extraterrestrial colonists to wipe out humanity and invade Earth. Pentecost instructs Newton to find black market dealer Hannibal Chau to obtain an intact Kaiju brain and acquire more information. At Hannibal's place, Newton realizes that during his previous drift, the Kaiju's hive mind gained access to his knowledge, just as he gained theirs. Two Kaiju, code-named Otachi and Leatherback, are unleashed upon Hong Kong simultaneously to find him.

All Jaegers, except for Gipsy Danger, are dispatched. The Kaiju easily destroy Crimson Typhoon and Cherno Alpha, and immobilize Striker Eureka with an EMP blast. Out of options, Pentecost allows Raleigh and Mako to pilot Gipsy Danger. They kill Leatherback, then pursue Otachi, which is hunting for Newton. After a lengthy and destructive battle, Raleigh and Mako manage to kill Otachi. Newton and Hannibal rush to Otachi's carcass, and discover that it is pregnant. The infant Kaiju bursts out and swallows Hannibal, before being asphyxiated by its own umbilical cord. Newton and Hermann drift with the infant Kaiju's brain, and learn that the Breach only opens in the presence of Kaiju DNA.

Pentecost reveals to Raleigh he is terminally ill due to piloting a first generation Jaeger with no radiation shielding. The last time he piloted a Jaeger was during the Tokyo attack, during which he was forced to kill the Kaiju that orphaned Mako alone, making him and Raleigh the only pilots who have killed a Kaiju without a copilot (known as solo combat). He has the remaining Jaegers proceed with the mission. With pilot Hercules Hansen injured during the previous fight, Pentecost and Chuck Hansen pilot Striker Eureka and carry the bomb; Raleigh and Mako provide cover in Gipsy Danger. At the bottom of the Pacific Ocean, the two Jaegers are faced with two Kaiju, code named Scunner and Raiju. Raleigh and Mako manage to kill Raiju and injure Scunner, but Gipsy Danger is crippled by the two Kaiju. A third Kaiju, true to Gottlieb's prediction, emerges from the Breach. The Kaiju, code named Slattern, is a Category 5 Kaiju and the largest ever encountered. Slattern critically damages Striker, but they manage to injure the Kaiju. Pentecost and Chuck detonate the nuclear bomb, killing Scunner and further injuring Slattern. Considering Newton's discovery, Raleigh and Mako defeat Slattern and use the corpse to drive Gipsy Danger into the Breach to seal it with the Jaeger's nuclear reactor. Seeing Mako has passed out because her oxygen supply is depleted, Raleigh gives Mako his supply and ejects her via an escape pod. He then manually overloads the reactor, just as it descends into the aliens' homeworld, and ejects himself back through the Breach.

Gipsy's reactor explodes, killing the aliens and sealing the Breach. Mako and Raleigh's pods surface in the Pacific Ocean, and the two embrace as rescue helicopters arrive. In a mid-credits scene, Hannibal cuts his way out of the dead infant Kaiju.

personable decorum
Sep 7, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

paul_soccer10 posted:

Earth is under attack by gigantic alien monsters (called Kaiju) emerging from an inter-dimensional portal called "The Breach" at the bottom of the Pacific Ocean. Humanity unites to construct colossal robots, nicknamed Jaegers, to combat the alien threat. Each Jaeger is controlled by two or more pilots, who are mentally linked via a process called "drifting" to share the mental stress of piloting the machine.

In 2020, Gipsy Danger, piloted by brothers Raleigh and Yancy Becket, is assigned to protect the Alaskan coastline from a Kaiju, code named Knifehead. The monster survives the initial assault and blindsides Gipsy Danger, then rips open her hull and kills Yancy. Raleigh takes control of Gipsy alone and kills Knifehead. Traumatized by the loss of his brother, Raleigh quits the Jaeger program.

Five years later, Kaiju attacks have increased in both frequency and strength, to the point that Jaegers are being destroyed faster than they can be built. World leaders decide to cut funding for the Jaeger program in favor of anti-Kaiju coastal walls. Marshal Stacker Pentecost, veteran Jaeger pilot and commanding officer of the program, summons the surviving Jaegers and pilots to a base in Hong Kong called Shatterdome. He finds Raleigh and convinces him to rejoin the program and make a last stand.

At Shatterdome, Raleigh and Pentecost are greeted by Mako Mori, the director of the Jaeger refurbishment. He sees the remaining Jaegers and their crews: Striker Eureka (Australian), Cherno Alpha (Russian), and Crimson Typhoon (Chinese). The fourth Jaeger is Gipsy Danger, rebuilt and refurbished with additional weapons and nuclear reactor. Pentecost tells Raleigh his plan is to use the four Jaegers to seal the Breach with a nuclear weapon. To find a new partner to pilot Gipsy, Raleigh holds a tryout with the base's fighters, and finds his most "drift-compatible" partner to be Mori, who is revealed to be Pentecost's adopted daughter. In their test drift, Raleigh goes out of alignment after reliving the moment his brother died, causing Mako to become lost in her memory of the Kaiju attack that orphaned her, and nearly discharges Gipsy Danger's plasma caster. Pentecost grounds Mako, leaving Raleigh without a copilot.

Pentecost consults with Kaiju scientists Newton Geiszler and Hermann Gottlieb. Herman believes that the Breach is stabilizing, allowing increasing numbers of Kaiju to invade at a time, but allowing them to drop the weapon into the Breach. Newton, for his part, creates a device that allows him to drift with a Kaiju's brain fragment, and discovers that the Kaiju are bioweapons created by extraterrestrial colonists to wipe out humanity and invade Earth. Pentecost instructs Newton to find black market dealer Hannibal Chau to obtain an intact Kaiju brain and acquire more information. At Hannibal's place, Newton realizes that during his previous drift, the Kaiju's hive mind gained access to his knowledge, just as he gained theirs. Two Kaiju, code-named Otachi and Leatherback, are unleashed upon Hong Kong simultaneously to find him.

All Jaegers, except for Gipsy Danger, are dispatched. The Kaiju easily destroy Crimson Typhoon and Cherno Alpha, and immobilize Striker Eureka with an EMP blast. Out of options, Pentecost allows Raleigh and Mako to pilot Gipsy Danger. They kill Leatherback, then pursue Otachi, which is hunting for Newton. After a lengthy and destructive battle, Raleigh and Mako manage to kill Otachi. Newton and Hannibal rush to Otachi's carcass, and discover that it is pregnant. The infant Kaiju bursts out and swallows Hannibal, before being asphyxiated by its own umbilical cord. Newton and Hermann drift with the infant Kaiju's brain, and learn that the Breach only opens in the presence of Kaiju DNA.

Pentecost reveals to Raleigh he is terminally ill due to piloting a first generation Jaeger with no radiation shielding. The last time he piloted a Jaeger was during the Tokyo attack, during which he was forced to kill the Kaiju that orphaned Mako alone, making him and Raleigh the only pilots who have killed a Kaiju without a copilot (known as solo combat). He has the remaining Jaegers proceed with the mission. With pilot Hercules Hansen injured during the previous fight, Pentecost and Chuck Hansen pilot Striker Eureka and carry the bomb; Raleigh and Mako provide cover in Gipsy Danger. At the bottom of the Pacific Ocean, the two Jaegers are faced with two Kaiju, code named Scunner and Raiju. Raleigh and Mako manage to kill Raiju and injure Scunner, but Gipsy Danger is crippled by the two Kaiju. A third Kaiju, true to Gottlieb's prediction, emerges from the Breach. The Kaiju, code named Slattern, is a Category 5 Kaiju and the largest ever encountered. Slattern critically damages Striker, but they manage to injure the Kaiju. Pentecost and Chuck detonate the nuclear bomb, killing Scunner and further injuring Slattern. Considering Newton's discovery, Raleigh and Mako defeat Slattern and use the corpse to drive Gipsy Danger into the Breach to seal it with the Jaeger's nuclear reactor. Seeing Mako has passed out because her oxygen supply is depleted, Raleigh gives Mako his supply and ejects her via an escape pod. He then manually overloads the reactor, just as it descends into the aliens' homeworld, and ejects himself back through the Breach.

Gipsy's reactor explodes, killing the aliens and sealing the Breach. Mako and Raleigh's pods surface in the Pacific Ocean, and the two embrace as rescue helicopters arrive. In a mid-credits scene, Hannibal cuts his way out of the dead infant Kaiju.

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

I like how the main dude in that sounded like he was nutting himself when he said gipsy danger. Gahd, so beautiful. (then why dont u marry it?????)

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Nathilus posted:

Each eva has the pilot's mom inside. Except 00. I have no idea about 00. An earlier rei maybe. Eventually the figure out how to automate evas with reis whether they have a soul or not. That's the dummy plug system. This works cuz rei is a subset of lilith. Presumably she has overrides embedded in her by nature. It's kinda weird though because as we've said, evas are from adam, not lilith.

Unit 00 I've always understood has another Rei inside it, yeah. Part of the reason why its initial activations went so poorly; you wake up one day and you're suddenly a bio-robo-pseudo-god, with a tiny clone of yourself controlling you from inside your neck. You try and tell me that you don't lose all composure and try to murder your creator.

Eva is a weird show.

The Dennis System
Aug 4, 2014

Nathilus posted:

It's not mentioned but presumably adam remained inactive till seele hosed with it, since there were no angels until then and only one impact that was what made the earths natural biosphere, so that was lilith.

Specifically the angels are aiming for adam and lilith, again presumably to stop humans from loving with them. Angels always attack nerve which is where both adam and lilith are housed.

Whoa, so the angels aren't actually trying to kill off humanity. They're just trying to stop Seele and NERV from trying to create the instrumentality. Although if the angels weren't really trying to hurt anyone, you'd think Katsuragi and a lot of the other NERV people would be against instrumentality and go ahead let the angels take back Adam.

The Dennis System
Aug 4, 2014

Nathilus posted:

Cosmic coincidence. They are both part of a larger life-breeding program, and of all the who knows how many biofactories that were seeded, two ended up close to each other. Iirc adam actually landed on the moon and was brought to earth by some cataclysm.

I thought Rei was just a straight-up clone of Shinji's mom. I didn't know she had any Lillith in her.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I believe the blue hair and red eyes come from Lilith. Kaworu, who is also an angel, has a similarish hair/eye coloration.

SealHammer
Jul 4, 2010
Click to understand my bad faith posting.
It's all a giant metaphor you gently caress who cares about how the Jesus aliens are supposed to work just enjoy the ponderous descent into a depressed adolescent's psyche

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

The concept behind EVA is like "what if we made a anime but it was good??"

But then they made it bad anyway so that's why it's so confusing.

Dely Apple
Apr 22, 2006

Sing me Spanish Techno

The answer is that it was a poorly budgeted show with a lot of Christian imagery put in because they liked it (the way we might cluelessly put in Japanese imagery poorly into our own shows or onto drunk people's tattoos.)

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

Shinjobi posted:

Unit 00 I've always understood has another Rei inside it, yeah. Part of the reason why its initial activations went so poorly; you wake up one day and you're suddenly a bio-robo-pseudo-god, with a tiny clone of yourself controlling you from inside your neck. You try and tell me that you don't lose all composure and try to murder your creator.

Eva is a weird show.

Rebuild is even weirder. How does an eva do an impact without adam or lilith? Makes no sense. Not native functionality.

Whoa, so the angels aren't actually trying to kill off humanity. They're just trying to stop Seele and NERV from trying to create the instrumentality. Although if the angels weren't really trying to hurt anyone, you'd think Katsuragi and a lot of the other NERV people would be against instrumentality and go ahead let the angels take back Adam.

No one knows about instrumentality except the seele council insiders. This includes gendo, his second in command, and uh.... Computer lady. But no one else at nerv. Everyone else thinks they're the earth defense force. No one else even knows that it is lilith, not adam, entombed under the base. Kaoru is a clear indicator of the angels' non-malevolence though. They are sentient beings, and he's their last shot at stopping the human fuckery. But he allows himself to be destroyed for the sake of the humans.

I thought Rei was just a straight-up clone of Shinji's mom. I didn't know she had any Lillith in her.

I don't remember how this works. It's vague anyway. She apparently looks like shinji's mom when she was younger, but she's special because her mentality is lilith.

Pimpcasso
Mar 13, 2002

VOLS BITCH
anime is harem you nerds

The Dennis System
Aug 4, 2014

Shinjobi posted:

I believe the blue hair and red eyes come from Lilith. Kaworu, who is also an angel, has a similarish hair/eye coloration.

You're right. I forgot they both had red eyes.

Falun Bong Refugee
Dec 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
I remember watching that in high school and thinking it was stupid and filled with overwrought symbolism the author didn't understand.

Falun Bong Refugee
Dec 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
At least when you're banging your head against a table while reading Nathaniel Hawthorne you know he's moderately competent at christian symbolism.

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

Falun Bong Refugee posted:

I remember watching that in high school and thinking it was stupid and filled with overwrought symbolism the author didn't understand.

I loved the poo poo out of it, which is why I remember so much of this bs. But then I've always been a pretentious twat. :unsmith:

Falun Bong Refugee
Dec 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Nathilus posted:

I loved the poo poo out of it, which is why I remember so much of this bs. But then I've always been a pretentious twat. :unsmith:

You need taste to be pretentious. Don't worry about it.

Let us English
Feb 21, 2004

Actual photo of Let Us English, probably seen here waking his wife up in the morning talking about chemical formulae when all she wants is a hot cup of shhhhh

vols bitch posted:

anime is harem you nerds

Not sure if this is a typo or just a fact about 90% of lovely Japanese cartoons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Let us English posted:

Not sure if this is a typo or just a fact about 90% of lovely Japanese cartoons.
He meant to say that anime is halal.

• Locked thread