Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

I alone can see through the media bias.

I'm also stupid on a scale that can only be measured in Reddits.

Falun Bong Refugee posted:

You need taste to be pretentious. Don't worry about it.

Thanks bro.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
Nobody does, OP, but you can easily spot people who are super up their own rear end because they pretend to.

Falun Bong Refugee
Dec 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Applewhite posted:

Nobody does, OP, but you can easily spot people who are super up their own rear end because they pretend to.

Dude wasn't Faulkner man. He wasn't that hard to figure out.

The Dennis System
Aug 4, 2014

Nothing in Jurassic World is natural, we have always filled gaps in the genome with the DNA of other animals. And if the genetic code was pure, many of them would look quite different. But you didn't ask for reality, you asked for more teeth.

Applewhite posted:

I don't know, some people in this thread have made some pretty good explanations of the basics of the plot. It actually does make a lot more sense to me now. Although I'm sure the story isn't completely coherent and the fans are probably filling in a lot of plot holes themselves.

americong
May 29, 2013

I really like the preachy gender/misogyny reading of eva

I also really like the "Hideaki Anno makes every creative decision out of revulsion for anime likers" reading of eva

they are kinda the same reading

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

EoE at least was DEFINITELY a hate gently caress. But the dude was also seriously mentally unwell at the time.

(I love being hate hosed.)

Alien Sex Manual
Dec 14, 2010

is not a sandwich

It made me sad when Shinji killed Kaworu. Look just let the world die, somebody could finally tolerate being around Shinji ffs. :gay::cry:

Gamer With Dignity
May 15, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Applewhite posted:

You've got it all figured out don'tcha

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

Glaucus atlanticus posted:

It made me sad when Shinji killed Kaworu. Look just let the world die, somebody could finally tolerate being around Shinji ffs. :gay::cry:

Word. Plus angels have the fruit of life so good odds on him being a fantastic lay. Oh well. To assuage everyone I'll just leave this here. As always, dont read any of the comments for your own wellbeing.

https://youtu.be/Y7yWoKV1_VY

Linnear
Nov 3, 2010
I want to say it's about Shinji wanting to bone his mom, but growing out of it by wanting to bone other chicks.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib

Nathilus posted:

EoE at least was DEFINITELY a hate gently caress. But the dude was also seriously mentally unwell at the time.

(I love being hate hosed.)

Asuka getting devoured is fuckin badass

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time

Tuxedo Gin posted:

all you need to know

neon genesis evangelion is the touching story of a teenage boy who visits his coworker in the hospital and while she's laying there unconscious he jacks off and cums

isn't she a clone of his mother too or something hosed up like that?

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

Your Dead Gay Son posted:

Asuka getting devoured is fuckin badass

:agreed:

The Dennis System
Aug 4, 2014

Nothing in Jurassic World is natural, we have always filled gaps in the genome with the DNA of other animals. And if the genetic code was pure, many of them would look quite different. But you didn't ask for reality, you asked for more teeth.

Germstore posted:

isn't she a clone of his mother too or something hosed up like that?

Nah, one of the other girls he wants to bone down on is a clone of his mother.

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

The Dennis System posted:

Nah, one of the other girls he wants to bone down on is a clone of his mother.

She also ends up medically nude in front of him but at least he doesn't jack it then. Thank god for small favors.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
Evangelion is evidence that when a society of the most uptight self isolated perfectionists on the planet get completely owned by a bunch of slobs their brains collectively break and they start having a massive identity crisis and start making weird rear end cartoons full of stupidly cobbled together symbolism and self loathing.

The Lobotomy Kid
Aug 27, 2011

and act like a nut.
does anyone remember Clone High?
Eva is basically that.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
No clone high was actually good.

B.H. Facials
May 9, 2011

"Getting teased is part of growing up. It's no big deal. Just tell yourself, 'Sticks and stones may break my bones, but a .44 Magnum will tear that bully a new asshole!'"
Has anybody seen the Rebuild of Evangelion films? Are they any good?

Gamer With Dignity
May 15, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

EvilJoven posted:

Evangelion is evidence that when a society of the most uptight self isolated perfectionists on the planet get completely owned by a bunch of slobs their brains collectively break and they start having a massive identity crisis and start making weird rear end cartoons full of stupidly cobbled together symbolism and self loathing.

It's this.

Canned Panda
Jul 10, 2012

paul_soccer10 posted:

Earth is under attack by gigantic alien monsters (called Kaiju) emerging from an inter-dimensional portal called "The Breach" at the bottom of the Pacific Ocean. Humanity unites to construct colossal robots, nicknamed Jaegers, to combat the alien threat. Each Jaeger is controlled by two or more pilots, who are mentally linked via a process called "drifting" to share the mental stress of piloting the machine.

In 2020, Gipsy Danger, piloted by brothers Raleigh and Yancy Becket, is assigned to protect the Alaskan coastline from a Kaiju, code named Knifehead. The monster survives the initial assault and blindsides Gipsy Danger, then rips open her hull and kills Yancy. Raleigh takes control of Gipsy alone and kills Knifehead. Traumatized by the loss of his brother, Raleigh quits the Jaeger program.

Five years later, Kaiju attacks have increased in both frequency and strength, to the point that Jaegers are being destroyed faster than they can be built. World leaders decide to cut funding for the Jaeger program in favor of anti-Kaiju coastal walls. Marshal Stacker Pentecost, veteran Jaeger pilot and commanding officer of the program, summons the surviving Jaegers and pilots to a base in Hong Kong called Shatterdome. He finds Raleigh and convinces him to rejoin the program and make a last stand.

At Shatterdome, Raleigh and Pentecost are greeted by Mako Mori, the director of the Jaeger refurbishment. He sees the remaining Jaegers and their crews: Striker Eureka (Australian), Cherno Alpha (Russian), and Crimson Typhoon (Chinese). The fourth Jaeger is Gipsy Danger, rebuilt and refurbished with additional weapons and nuclear reactor. Pentecost tells Raleigh his plan is to use the four Jaegers to seal the Breach with a nuclear weapon. To find a new partner to pilot Gipsy, Raleigh holds a tryout with the base's fighters, and finds his most "drift-compatible" partner to be Mori, who is revealed to be Pentecost's adopted daughter. In their test drift, Raleigh goes out of alignment after reliving the moment his brother died, causing Mako to become lost in her memory of the Kaiju attack that orphaned her, and nearly discharges Gipsy Danger's plasma caster. Pentecost grounds Mako, leaving Raleigh without a copilot.

Pentecost consults with Kaiju scientists Newton Geiszler and Hermann Gottlieb. Herman believes that the Breach is stabilizing, allowing increasing numbers of Kaiju to invade at a time, but allowing them to drop the weapon into the Breach. Newton, for his part, creates a device that allows him to drift with a Kaiju's brain fragment, and discovers that the Kaiju are bioweapons created by extraterrestrial colonists to wipe out humanity and invade Earth. Pentecost instructs Newton to find black market dealer Hannibal Chau to obtain an intact Kaiju brain and acquire more information. At Hannibal's place, Newton realizes that during his previous drift, the Kaiju's hive mind gained access to his knowledge, just as he gained theirs. Two Kaiju, code-named Otachi and Leatherback, are unleashed upon Hong Kong simultaneously to find him.

All Jaegers, except for Gipsy Danger, are dispatched. The Kaiju easily destroy Crimson Typhoon and Cherno Alpha, and immobilize Striker Eureka with an EMP blast. Out of options, Pentecost allows Raleigh and Mako to pilot Gipsy Danger. They kill Leatherback, then pursue Otachi, which is hunting for Newton. After a lengthy and destructive battle, Raleigh and Mako manage to kill Otachi. Newton and Hannibal rush to Otachi's carcass, and discover that it is pregnant. The infant Kaiju bursts out and swallows Hannibal, before being asphyxiated by its own umbilical cord. Newton and Hermann drift with the infant Kaiju's brain, and learn that the Breach only opens in the presence of Kaiju DNA.

Pentecost reveals to Raleigh he is terminally ill due to piloting a first generation Jaeger with no radiation shielding. The last time he piloted a Jaeger was during the Tokyo attack, during which he was forced to kill the Kaiju that orphaned Mako alone, making him and Raleigh the only pilots who have killed a Kaiju without a copilot (known as solo combat). He has the remaining Jaegers proceed with the mission. With pilot Hercules Hansen injured during the previous fight, Pentecost and Chuck Hansen pilot Striker Eureka and carry the bomb; Raleigh and Mako provide cover in Gipsy Danger. At the bottom of the Pacific Ocean, the two Jaegers are faced with two Kaiju, code named Scunner and Raiju. Raleigh and Mako manage to kill Raiju and injure Scunner, but Gipsy Danger is crippled by the two Kaiju. A third Kaiju, true to Gottlieb's prediction, emerges from the Breach. The Kaiju, code named Slattern, is a Category 5 Kaiju and the largest ever encountered. Slattern critically damages Striker, but they manage to injure the Kaiju. Pentecost and Chuck detonate the nuclear bomb, killing Scunner and further injuring Slattern. Considering Newton's discovery, Raleigh and Mako defeat Slattern and use the corpse to drive Gipsy Danger into the Breach to seal it with the Jaeger's nuclear reactor. Seeing Mako has passed out because her oxygen supply is depleted, Raleigh gives Mako his supply and ejects her via an escape pod. He then manually overloads the reactor, just as it descends into the aliens' homeworld, and ejects himself back through the Breach.

Gipsy's reactor explodes, killing the aliens and sealing the Breach. Mako and Raleigh's pods surface in the Pacific Ocean, and the two embrace as rescue helicopters arrive. In a mid-credits scene, Hannibal cuts his way out of the dead infant Kaiju.

You forgot to mention that the sword is a penis.

That Robot
Sep 16, 2004

ask me anything about robots
Buglord
yeah i do

it's a show that owns

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

B.H. Facials posted:

Has anybody seen the Rebuild of Evangelion films? Are they any good?

1 and 2 are good. 1 is basically the first quarter of the show without many narrative changes. 2 starts veering off the show's track and introduces a minor but annoying mary sue character. To make up for her, shinji grows considerable testicles. Then in 3 everyone hates shinji for growing testicles in 2 and he becomes a bitchboi again, but some other weird and sort of interesting stuff happens. It pissed a lot of people off like EoE without being as clearly made to piss off fans. No coma masturbation tho, sorry! Maybe next time.

4 will be coming out in 20 years right after Mr. Anno kills himself, probably. We can still hold out hope that he's not psych-ward-inpatient-level depressed when he writes it and that it will be a bit less filled with angst, hatred, and self-loathing than EoE, but I sure as hell wouldn't bet money on the proposition.

The animation is fantastic in all three of the released movies, of course. Overall, if you liked the show you'll likely enjoy these.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
it sucks

That Robot
Sep 16, 2004

Buglord

Shinjobi posted:

Unit 00 I've always understood has another Rei inside it, yeah. Part of the reason why its initial activations went so poorly; you wake up one day and you're suddenly a bio-robo-pseudo-god, with a tiny clone of yourself controlling you from inside your neck. You try and tell me that you don't lose all composure and try to murder your creator.

Eva is a weird show.

Unit 00 has Ritsuko's mom inside of it

She hates rei for calling her an "old hag" so that's why she bashed unit 00's head against the wall while rei was testing it

gendo called ritsuko's mom an old hag originally, young rei overheard it and then repeated it in the presence of ritsuko's mom, causing her to murder suicide with young rei

Rei is then cloned again before the series begins

That Robot
Sep 16, 2004

Buglord

vols bitch posted:

anime is harem you nerds

tenchi muyo is a harem comedy

Leroy Dennui
Aug 9, 2014

Gina McCarthy made us gay,
but we would not have met
had Biden not dropped his cones
:gaysper::frogbon:
What if Evangelion was weed??

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time
Muhammad had a nine year old wife, from this scholars have inferred that anime is halaal.

Skeleton Ape
Dec 21, 2008

Evangelion was actually supposed to mean something? Holy poo poo, now I've heard everything

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

paul_soccer10 posted:

Earth is under attack by gigantic alien monsters (called Kaiju) emerging from an inter-dimensional portal called "The Breach" at the bottom of the Pacific Ocean. Humanity unites to construct colossal robots, nicknamed Jaegers, to combat the alien threat. Each Jaeger is controlled by two or more pilots, who are mentally linked via a process called "drifting" to share the mental stress of piloting the machine.

In 2020, Gipsy Danger, piloted by brothers Raleigh and Yancy Becket, is assigned to protect the Alaskan coastline from a Kaiju, code named Knifehead. The monster survives the initial assault and blindsides Gipsy Danger, then rips open her hull and kills Yancy. Raleigh takes control of Gipsy alone and kills Knifehead. Traumatized by the loss of his brother, Raleigh quits the Jaeger program.

Five years later, Kaiju attacks have increased in both frequency and strength, to the point that Jaegers are being destroyed faster than they can be built. World leaders decide to cut funding for the Jaeger program in favor of anti-Kaiju coastal walls. Marshal Stacker Pentecost, veteran Jaeger pilot and commanding officer of the program, summons the surviving Jaegers and pilots to a base in Hong Kong called Shatterdome. He finds Raleigh and convinces him to rejoin the program and make a last stand.

At Shatterdome, Raleigh and Pentecost are greeted by Mako Mori, the director of the Jaeger refurbishment. He sees the remaining Jaegers and their crews: Striker Eureka (Australian), Cherno Alpha (Russian), and Crimson Typhoon (Chinese). The fourth Jaeger is Gipsy Danger, rebuilt and refurbished with additional weapons and nuclear reactor. Pentecost tells Raleigh his plan is to use the four Jaegers to seal the Breach with a nuclear weapon. To find a new partner to pilot Gipsy, Raleigh holds a tryout with the base's fighters, and finds his most "drift-compatible" partner to be Mori, who is revealed to be Pentecost's adopted daughter. In their test drift, Raleigh goes out of alignment after reliving the moment his brother died, causing Mako to become lost in her memory of the Kaiju attack that orphaned her, and nearly discharges Gipsy Danger's plasma caster. Pentecost grounds Mako, leaving Raleigh without a copilot.

Pentecost consults with Kaiju scientists Newton Geiszler and Hermann Gottlieb. Herman believes that the Breach is stabilizing, allowing increasing numbers of Kaiju to invade at a time, but allowing them to drop the weapon into the Breach. Newton, for his part, creates a device that allows him to drift with a Kaiju's brain fragment, and discovers that the Kaiju are bioweapons created by extraterrestrial colonists to wipe out humanity and invade Earth. Pentecost instructs Newton to find black market dealer Hannibal Chau to obtain an intact Kaiju brain and acquire more information. At Hannibal's place, Newton realizes that during his previous drift, the Kaiju's hive mind gained access to his knowledge, just as he gained theirs. Two Kaiju, code-named Otachi and Leatherback, are unleashed upon Hong Kong simultaneously to find him.

All Jaegers, except for Gipsy Danger, are dispatched. The Kaiju easily destroy Crimson Typhoon and Cherno Alpha, and immobilize Striker Eureka with an EMP blast. Out of options, Pentecost allows Raleigh and Mako to pilot Gipsy Danger. They kill Leatherback, then pursue Otachi, which is hunting for Newton. After a lengthy and destructive battle, Raleigh and Mako manage to kill Otachi. Newton and Hannibal rush to Otachi's carcass, and discover that it is pregnant. The infant Kaiju bursts out and swallows Hannibal, before being asphyxiated by its own umbilical cord. Newton and Hermann drift with the infant Kaiju's brain, and learn that the Breach only opens in the presence of Kaiju DNA.

Pentecost reveals to Raleigh he is terminally ill due to piloting a first generation Jaeger with no radiation shielding. The last time he piloted a Jaeger was during the Tokyo attack, during which he was forced to kill the Kaiju that orphaned Mako alone, making him and Raleigh the only pilots who have killed a Kaiju without a copilot (known as solo combat). He has the remaining Jaegers proceed with the mission. With pilot Hercules Hansen injured during the previous fight, Pentecost and Chuck Hansen pilot Striker Eureka and carry the bomb; Raleigh and Mako provide cover in Gipsy Danger. At the bottom of the Pacific Ocean, the two Jaegers are faced with two Kaiju, code named Scunner and Raiju. Raleigh and Mako manage to kill Raiju and injure Scunner, but Gipsy Danger is crippled by the two Kaiju. A third Kaiju, true to Gottlieb's prediction, emerges from the Breach. The Kaiju, code named Slattern, is a Category 5 Kaiju and the largest ever encountered. Slattern critically damages Striker, but they manage to injure the Kaiju. Pentecost and Chuck detonate the nuclear bomb, killing Scunner and further injuring Slattern. Considering Newton's discovery, Raleigh and Mako defeat Slattern and use the corpse to drive Gipsy Danger into the Breach to seal it with the Jaeger's nuclear reactor. Seeing Mako has passed out because her oxygen supply is depleted, Raleigh gives Mako his supply and ejects her via an escape pod. He then manually overloads the reactor, just as it descends into the aliens' homeworld, and ejects himself back through the Breach.

Gipsy's reactor explodes, killing the aliens and sealing the Breach. Mako and Raleigh's pods surface in the Pacific Ocean, and the two embrace as rescue helicopters arrive. In a mid-credits scene, Hannibal cuts his way out of the dead infant Kaiju.

this is more writing and thought than ever got put into evangelion maybe that's why pacific rim owned so god drat hard

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender
<angry, exasperated teacher> "OK! So, does everyone here understand Neon Genesis Evangelion?"

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

but i dont wanna be a spaceship
Fun Shoe
I missed out on the wank scene, I watched it on tv in japan, it helped that i'd drink plenty of vodka.
it still makes as much sense, but at least it seems some people "get it"

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
Robots. Autism. Pedophilia. Think that pretty much covers it.

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

Knight posted:

<angry, exasperated teacher> "OK! So, does everyone here understand Neon Genesis Evangelion?"

*class chimes in unison* "all work and no balls makes shinji a bitch boi!"

Alternatively,: "Life is suffering, let's turn into tang and become one!"

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
I understand that I bought the whole series on DVD when I was 16 and it's probably the reason I'm a weirdo goon now.

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender

Nathilus posted:

*class chimes in unison* "all work and no balls makes shinji a bitch boi!"

Alternatively,: "Life is suffering, let's turn into tang and become one!"
Good, now to review... <draws a bunch of chalk lines on the board all pointing to Asuka>

<circles several times>

americong
May 29, 2013

my favorite part of evangelion is that rei and asuka were designed from the ground to display the toxic side of infatuation + adolescent male sexuality and also to be a big gently caress you to creepy anime fans

and they are the most-remembered, most-influential, most-doujinshi'd elements of the show

we've had twenty years of asuka clones in anime because nobody got the joke

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
Luckily this wasn't an issue for American fans because her dubbed voice is about as pleasant to listen to as rusty nails on a chalkboard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WB9SL-mZtVY

• Locked thread