Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Wasn't the woman who did the english dub for Asuka also a turbo weeaboo? I mean I suppose it figures.

For all the navel-gazing, my favorite aspect of the show was the most uncreative; the monster-of-the-week aspect of the Angels where each one had a different gimmick that needed to be overcome. A few were just generic monsters that needed to be beat down, but one was an isohedron with a deathstar laser, one was microscopic, one looked like a human, one hung out in orbit and mind raped you, etc. The best thing they could've done with the show is instead of saying "17 angels total, all must be stopped for us to do our own version of instrumentality" just say "A shitload of angels, we don't know how many, SEELE says they have Top Men on the problem"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today

americong posted:

my favorite part of evangelion is that rei and asuka were designed from the ground to display the toxic side of infatuation + adolescent male sexuality and also to be a big gently caress you to creepy anime fans

This is a classic example of expecting way, way too much of your audience.

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

Ok so I figured I'd answer all the questions that the op has.

The Dennis System posted:

1 - What are the angels and what are their goals?
Wreck poo poo

quote:

2 - What are the Evas?
Your mom

quote:

3 - Who is Lillith?
Rei probably

quote:

4 - Who is Adam?
He's the dude from the new Deus Ex games

quote:

5 - What is Seele and what are it's goals?
Do the third impact

quote:

6 - What is NERV and what are it's goals?
Not do the third impact

quote:

7 - What is Gendo's goal?
Cover his mouth when he talks to save on animation budget

quote:

8 - Why is the final Angel a humanoid? All the other Angels are giant, super-monsters, so why does this Angel suddenly look like a human?
One of the angels was a pile of nanomachines. I think they can be whatever the gently caress they want.

quote:

9 - What was the purpose of the Impacts?
Be an excuse to play the song "Kum susser tod" so that it could, almost two decades later, be used in a video making fun of cuckservative.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Something I never understood was how the main production Evas were magically able to come back to life after Asuka murdered all of them. The whole scene of her taking out 9? Evas in 5 minutes was pretty badass, but after she runs out of juice it turns out that they just come back to life and disembowel unit 02 :stare: .

How exactly were they able to do that?

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
Well they were controlled by software so they don't give a poo poo about pain or survival. They never died, they were only injured.

Falun Bong Refugee
Dec 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
Apparently some people have opinions about this poo poo.

Talk about loving losers.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time
e: I owned myself.

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

im pretty sure falun gong isnt a video game??

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

indeed

Manic Mailman
Jul 2, 2004

Panfilo posted:

Something I never understood was how the main production Evas were magically able to come back to life after Asuka murdered all of them. The whole scene of her taking out 9? Evas in 5 minutes was pretty badass, but after she runs out of juice it turns out that they just come back to life and disembowel unit 02 :stare: .

How exactly were they able to do that?

They studied Eva Unit-001 one's combat logs when it would go into berserker mode and regenerate its arms and poo poo along with other angels that were able to regenerate themselves. These EVAs are also powered with the new S2 engine giving them the freedom that the umbilical power cords did not. Voila, Perfect Cell Evangelion units.

Creamed Cormp
Jan 8, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Izzhov
Dec 6, 2013

My head hurts.
My favorite part of this show is that the bad guys completely, unequivocally, unambiguously win in the end.

Solar Tornado
Aug 9, 2016

A true fool keeps on fighting, even when there is no more glory to be gained

americong posted:

my favorite part of evangelion is that rei and asuka were designed from the ground to display the toxic side of infatuation + adolescent male sexuality and also to be a big gently caress you to creepy anime fans

and they are the most-remembered, most-influential, most-doujinshi'd elements of the show

we've had twenty years of asuka clones in anime because nobody got the joke

The point was missed so bad, it created its own anime-girl sub-trope

e: a part that I liked about the show was the last two episodes which where just psychological evaluations of the three kids. It was like "gently caress the ambiguos plot because it makes no sense. Let's focus on fixing the broken main character" - which was oddly refreshing (the things budget problems can do).
The whole show was about how Shinji is a depressed kid who doesn't see any value in his life and the plot is kinda built around that. As a teen, who had a similar problem, watching Shinji finding a reason to live was uplifting :shobon:

Aaaand now I lost all hope for recognition for liking an anime.

Solar Tornado fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Sep 15, 2016

Falun Bong Refugee
Dec 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
Reading this thread is like listening to a book report in middle school.

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Didnt the end of the show have the MC realize it was all in his head

Manic Mailman
Jul 2, 2004

Fried Watermelon posted:

Didnt the end of the show have the MC realize it was all in his head

Technically yes because instrumentality happened so they were all united.

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

The show would have been much, much better if they actually let Mitsato be the main character. She's already the one who does everything just let the show be about her. gently caress.

Falun Bong Refugee
Dec 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
I don't think Japanese people have a good handle on fiction. Some of them don't know that I am a Cat is supposed to be satire and they think it's actually about a cat.

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
shinji is such a little fuckup the mass consciousness didn't want him

That Robot
Sep 16, 2004

ask me anything about robots
Buglord

Dely Apple posted:

The answer is that it was a poorly budgeted show with a lot of Christian imagery put in because they liked it (the way we might cluelessly put in Japanese imagery poorly into our own shows or onto drunk people's tattoos.)

the lack of budget made it so there wasn't as much animation in the last two episodes but it was stylistic and it was cool af so it all worked out

That Robot
Sep 16, 2004

Buglord

B.H. Facials posted:

Has anybody seen the Rebuild of Evangelion films? Are they any good?

they own and the music is awesome

but yeah a lot of poo poo is poorly explained, but I think that's by design

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
Sci-fi where everything has an answer is boring as hell. See: Star Trek TNG

personable decorum
Sep 7, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
The Q Continuum was the best part of star trek but i wish it was more interstellar

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

I only watched through the series once well over a decade ago, but I still know Cruel Angel Thesis phonetically.

That Robot
Sep 16, 2004

Buglord

Falun Bong Refugee posted:

Apparently some people have opinions about this poo poo.

Talk about loving losers.

itt some people are very mad about a show that others enjoy

:allears:

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
it's basically a show about the psychological brutalization of child soldiers fighting for an apocalypse cult

That Robot
Sep 16, 2004

Buglord

DoctorStrangelove posted:

The show would have been much, much better if they actually let Mitsato be the main character. She's already the one who does everything just let the show be about her. gently caress.

asuka should have been the main character

i think that was the idea in pre-production; it's in an artbook somewhere

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

it's basically a show about the psychological brutalization of child soldiers fighting for an apocalypse cult

That makes it sound way cooler than it actually is.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

The TV ending is much better than the grandiose movie ending.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today

That Robot posted:

asuka should have been the main character

i think that was the idea in pre-production; it's in an artbook somewhere

would this have meant more or fewer shots lingering on the bikini-clad 12-year-olds.

frogge
Apr 7, 2006

Didn't the show's creator drop a shitload of acid when he came up with the idea for the show?
I think he also killed himself, too.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Bimmi posted:

would this have meant more or fewer shots lingering on the bikini-clad 12-year-olds.

well, if Gunbuster is a valid basis for comparison, then possibly more, and maybe even topless shots.

frogge posted:

he didn't, he's still alive

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Wasn't this very question why moot founded 4chan to solve it?

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
Evagelion is a very love it or hate it kinda show. I think you need to be a depressed, broken, self-loathing individual to truly "get" it. I'm a pathetic sadsack loser, so it's right up my alley!

The Evangelion manga kinda spells everything out for you, sorta like the book version of 2001: A Space Odyssey or the Shining vs. the Stanley Kubrick films. Eva is very, very Kubrick-esque.

It's the same story, but put through a filter to make it more palatable to general audiences - so it's tamer and a little dumbed down. I.E. it doesn't have the infamous fapping scene, has a happy ending and so on. Its version of Rei actually makes her into an interesting character, though. It's worth a read though and it's a good companion piece to the original work. I kinda hated the David Lynch Dune movie until I read the book and understood the context, then I was like "oh, I like this, this is clever." I always liked Eva, though.

The Rebuild movies are not amazing though and aren't a classic like the original was. I can't really recommend them unless you've already seen the original.

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

Pretty much. It's a show that's more or less a giant metaphor for depression and Freudian psychology. It's not actually a show about giant robots or religion or whatever.

frogge posted:

Didn't the show's creator drop a shitload of acid when he came up with the idea for the show?

He's still alive and is doing the new Godzilla movie now.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
i thought 4chan got founded because they couldn't post underage sex cartoons in the Anime Death Tentacle Rape Whorehouse any more

SatansChoice
Sep 14, 2016

by Smythe
blah blah blah curses anime blah blah milq toast is good for u

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Gammatron 64 posted:

Evagelion is a very love it or hate it kinda show. I think you need to be a depressed, broken, self-loathing individual to truly "get" it. I'm a pathetic sadsack loser, so it's right up my alley!

The Evangelion manga kinda spells everything out for you, sorta like the book version of 2001: A Space Odyssey or the Shining vs. the Stanley Kubrick films. Eva is very, very Kubrick-esque.

It's the same story, but put through a filter to make it more palatable to general audiences - so it's tamer and a little dumbed down. I.E. it doesn't have the infamous fapping scene, has a happy ending and so on. Its version of Rei actually makes her into an interesting character, though. It's worth a read though and it's a good companion piece to the original work. I kinda hated the David Lynch Dune movie until I read the book and understood the context, then I was like "oh, I like this, this is clever." I always liked Eva, though.

The Rebuild movies are not amazing though and aren't a classic like the original was. I can't really recommend them unless you've already seen the original.

Pretty much. It's a show that's more or less a giant metaphor for depression and Freudian psychology. It's not actually a show about giant robots or religion or whatever.

He's still alive and is doing the new Godzilla movie now.

Wow, can't wait for Godzilla to get mind raped by mothra!

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI

notZaar posted:

Wow, can't wait for Godzilla to get mind raped by mothra!

Nah. The new Godzilla looks like he's made of corpses and seems to have a penis on his tail. Close, though!

Falun Bong Refugee
Dec 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
No see, this anime is really deep because I'm a manchild that's never read a book in my entire life that was assigned outside of middle school.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

the director of evangelion did a live action movie about teenage prostitution and it was really trippy and kinda gross but had pretty interesting cinematography

• Locked thread