Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

I alone can see through the media bias.

I'm also stupid on a scale that can only be measured in Reddits.

skasion posted:

The angels don't seem to have concrete or explicable motivations except a drive to return to Adam, their mother. Even Kaworu, who could be mistaken for a human behaviorally, descends to Terminal Dogma to search for Adam the moment he gets a chance. It's not that he doesn't care about humanity getting killed off by his actions, he is just compelled to do it anyway. It ties into the larger theme about how humans seek extinction/return to the womb.

Gendou tells Rei to merge all souls into one. I don't think his instrumentality plan was a lot different from SEELE's except for he was in charge of it.

:agreed: on both counts.

The angels are compelled to seek adam. You'll note though that Kaoru gives it up and lets shinji ice him. Why exactly? Probably because as Adam's personality he retains his original programming not to interfere with other life seeds. The spear was an emergency shutdown device but in this case it wasn't needed.

Keep in mind that just because the angels probably aren't specifically after humanity doesn't make them any less dangerous to us. Any one of them reaching adam would have likely caused a third impact that would have been a real, complete impact unlike the second. At that point all humans would be dead regardless of the fact the angels weren't specifically after us. There's only room on this rock for one phase-form of life. But its seele's fault that they exist here at all. Adam was appropriately E-stopped until seele hosed with it, and it's not like they didn't know what they were doing. They had the instruction manual, the dead sea scrolls.

Presumably Gendo's plan was somehow slightly different from seele's or else why rebel in the first place, but we're never told exactly how. But both clearly wanted to combine lilith, adam, and humanity. Adam is a part of the deal because he has the fruit of life. Without him, returning humans to Lilith merely resets the whole earth experiment. With it, that being becomes more than a seed of life and an ark for the ancient ones. It becomes something like a god.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe
Why does the DVD/Blue Ray box set of this show cost somewhere between $200 to $300?

Did the angels do that?

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Standard practice for Japanese poo poo, because the Japanese have realized that it is easier to make obsessive nerds pay hundreds for robot cartoons than it is to make the general public pay fifty bucks for them.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

is anime allowed in gbs now?

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe
Someone please loan me $300 dollars so I can form an opinion on this 21 year old cartoon.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Arian_Samurai posted:

Someone please loan me $300 dollars so I can form an opinion on this 21 year old cartoon.

i think the youtube media critic boom has crashed by now sorry. that one dude whose gimmick was wearing a nazi-looking trenchcoat is probably begging on the street by now

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

"Shinji, your mom is a giant robot...."

...Get in her"

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

my friend burned all the episodes and movies to some cds for me back in like 1999
except he had the last few in the complete wrong order

so i did not know what was going on, BIG loving time

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy

skasion posted:

Except for Eva-01, which is a Lilith clone.

Creative license.

garfield hentai
Feb 29, 2004
I think Eva fans should check out Jojo, there's a lot of similarities. Just like Eva is a show ostensibly about robots that's really about depression, Jojo is a show ostensibly about cool guys beating up other cool guys that's really about cool guys beating up other cool guys

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Nathilus posted:

The angels are compelled to seek adam. You'll note though that Kaoru gives it up and lets shinji ice him. Why exactly? Probably because as Adam's personality he retains his original programming not to interfere with other life seeds. The spear was an emergency shutdown device but in this case it wasn't needed.

Kaworu actually does say why he's letting Shinji kill him and I don't think it has a whole lot to do with Adam being "programmed" with anything. He claims he's making a free-willing choice to die rather than kill Shinji (and everyone else). He's going to be driven to seek Adam as long as he lives, but ultimately it doesn't matter to him on a personal level whether he succeeds, and it does matter to him that Shinji lives, so he urges Shinji to kill him.

Depending on how you read things you can also argue that he was deliberately getting his body destroyed so that his soul could be reunited with its "original" body (the Adam embryo in Gendou's hand) but it's not really clear that that's what happens.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

garfield hentai posted:

I think Eva fans should check out Jojo, there's a lot of similarities. Just like Eva is a show ostensibly about robots that's really about depression, Jojo is a show ostensibly about cool guys beating up other cool guys that's really about cool guys beating up other cool guys

I was sad when Jonathan died but all good things must come to an end.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.

notZaar posted:

I was sad when Jonathan died but all good things must come to an end.

His body made it to part 3, and his toe came back to life in part 6.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

garfield hentai posted:

I like both of these series. I think you're onto something here.

Catalina
May 20, 2008

I had a Cool Mom who not only let me watch Evangelion when I was 12, but after she had seen some of it, she said that she liked it enough that she wanted to watch it, too. We watched the whole TV series together, and when I was 14, she took me to my first anime convention, and we watched End of Eva together in the theater room. Her impression was "that was good, and a good ending." Years later, she told me that she was concerned about me watching the sexual content, but figured most of it went over my head. She never mentioned the ultra violence :911:

Professor of Cats
Mar 22, 2009

Catalina posted:

I had a Cool Mom who not only let me watch Evangelion when I was 12, but after she had seen some of it, she said that she liked it enough that she wanted to watch it, too. We watched the whole TV series together, and when I was 14, she took me to my first anime convention, and we watched End of Eva together in the theater room. Her impression was "that was good, and a good ending." Years later, she told me that she was concerned about me watching the sexual content, but figured most of it went over my head. She never mentioned the ultra violence :911:

i'll bet the jizz hand wasn't awkward at all too

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

I alone can see through the media bias.

I'm also stupid on a scale that can only be measured in Reddits.

Catalina posted:

Congrats ur mom is american.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Volcott posted:

His body made it to part 3, and his toe came back to life in part 6.

Hmm perhaps it's finally time to read Battle Tendency... maybe...

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.

notZaar posted:

Hmm perhaps it's finally time to read Battle Tendency... maybe...

The amine is pretty good, too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R8wfvLSO5XQ

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Man they really need to make a cgi Manga style series, because the bits they do in the intros look good. I've only seen stardust crusaders but the cg intro bits were great. I'd love to see a whole series done in that style.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

Panfilo posted:

Man they really need to make a cgi Manga style series, because the bits they do in the intros look good. I've only seen stardust crusaders but the cg intro bits were great. I'd love to see a whole series done in that style.

The thing you want is final fantasy advent children. Why do you want that thing?

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

i'm a confirmed anime liker, but anime cgi is something that nobody wants. please don't go there

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

An AT Field is basically just an Eva's Stand.

Catalina posted:

Your mom is So hosed Up.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

icantfindaname posted:

i'm a confirmed anime liker, but anime cgi is something that nobody wants. please don't go there

Someone made a professional, "this aired on broadcast television" anime with this.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MikuMikuDance

The opening is far and away the best part, and it still looks absolutely terrible.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NiOYXSMYYJA

There's always more (anime) and it's always worse.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

icantfindaname posted:

Cel shading is really cool and good, actually.

Ork of Fiction
Jul 22, 2013
It's called Neon Genesis Evangelion, and that's one heck of a name.

get me HQ!
Jul 28, 2010

Aziz... spark that shit nigga

Chill la Chill posted:

Cel shading is really cool and good, actually.

hmmm

nope

anime fuckin peaked with Redline

Ork of Fiction
Jul 22, 2013

Ork of Fiction posted:

Neon
Genesis
Evangelion

Just let that little tart of a name roll around in ur old marble.

WOWZA!!

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe

Ork of Fiction posted:

Do you think it was a typo? Like the guy meant to write "Neo" but just went with it.

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

Arian_Samurai posted:

Do you think it was a typo? Like the guy meant to write "Neo" but just went with it.

This is the best explanation I've heard.

americong
May 29, 2013

icantfindaname posted:

i prefer my anime cgi to be primitive and only shots of cars on mountainsides

get me HQ!
Jul 28, 2010

Aziz... spark that shit nigga
if we're talking goon approved anime

how the gently caress did nobody mention LEGEND OF THE GALACTIC HEROES yet

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

americong posted:

i prefer my anime cgi to be primitive and only shots of cars on mountainsides

Same but the cars must be untextured and not have license plate numbers.

americong
May 29, 2013

thunderchief posted:

with logh i hit that point where i'm still enjoying every episode but my fear of commitment prevents me from investing more time

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

thunderchief posted:

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

icantfindaname posted:

Berserk 2016 is the latest casualty in this war

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

That got better towards the end of the first season, but it still blows and had stupid camera pans and awful models. Griffith's face was awful.

a dog from hell
Oct 18, 2009

by zen death robot
I thought Asuka's character was done really well. Her emotional immaturity and relationship with Shinji is really well done compared to the usual "bullying hotheaded woman" thing in anime. Even better, she never corrects her behavior. It's just who she is and her competitiveness makes her the most competent member of the team.

I really enjoyed the emotional depictions of Shinji and Asuka. Also liked the batshit imagery, particularly in EoE. Good anime that obviously inspired a lot of shows in 00's that were not as good.

Think I will watch the new movies now.

e: five minutes into the second one and it's bad... probably won't say anything else about it.

a dog from hell fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Sep 20, 2016

PantsandCola
Aug 17, 2013

you did good... you did good
im permabanned poster evastomper58...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caeks
Dec 27, 2009

Good anime that every goon should watch:
Gurren Lagann
Legend of Galactic Heroes
Neon Genesis Evangelion
ERASED
Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood
Cowboy Beebop
Samurai Champloo
select Gundam series (Iron Blood Orphans, Unicorn RE:0096 and 00 come to mind)
Space Brothers

Bad anime every goon should avoid:
Naruto
Akame ga Kill
Bleach
select Gundam series (Build fighters/Wing come to mind)
Terraformars

Anime I wouldn't recommend to most Goons but that I love:
Fate series
Aldnoah Zero
Berserk

Stay away from until eternity:
Argevollen. Seriously. Why does this show loving exist, boring piece of poo poo that I thought would get better. Give me my loving life back.

• Locked thread