Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
personable decorum
Sep 7, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Falun Bong Refugee posted:

No see, this anime is really deep because I'm a manchild that's never read a book in my entire life that was assigned outside of middle school.

i read the myst books in middle school and that was all i really needed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

americong
May 29, 2013

the biggest point of criticism of nge i've found myself agreeing with is that there was very little anno gained in terms of "the point" by showing 12 year old girls get groomed and/or sexually assaulted as they wage war against aliens

the point could have been conveyed more clearly (obviously bunches of people don't get it) and without resorting to that kind of depiction (which, you know, is kind of creepy, and counterproductive)

americong
May 29, 2013

personable decorum posted:

i read the myst books in middle school and that was all i really needed

same here but low tier 80s fantasy

personable decorum
Sep 7, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
the 80s were a hell of a time

Falun Bong Refugee
Dec 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

americong posted:

the biggest point of criticism of nge i've found myself agreeing with is that there was very little anno gained in terms of "the point" by showing 12 year old girls get groomed and/or sexually assaulted as they wage war against aliens

the point could have been conveyed more clearly (obviously bunches of people don't get it) and without resorting to that kind of depiction (which, you know, is kind of creepy, and counterproductive)

Look at this motherfucker. Is there any possibility he's not a total creep? No, no there isn't. Just look at his AV.

americong
May 29, 2013

personable decorum posted:

the 80s were a hell of a time

nobody should have to come to terms with their sexuality through the dragonriders of pern

Nirvikalpa
Aug 20, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

The Dennis System posted:

I've seen the original series and the End of Evangelion, but I don't understand what the hell was even going on in that show. Maybe someone here could explain the show to me and answer a couple of questions?

1 - What are the angels and what are their goals?

2 - What are the Evas?

3 - Who is Lillith?

4 - Who is Adam?

5 - What is Seele and what are it's goals?

6 - What is NERV and what are it's goals?

7 - What is Gendo's goal?

8 - Why is the final Angel a humanoid? All the other Angels are giant, super-monsters, so why does this Angel suddenly look like a human?

9 - What was the purpose of the Impacts?

I have many more questions, but I think the above are the most important. Anyone?

This is off the top of my head

1. The angels are Adam's children. Their goal is to reunite with Adam which will end the lives of Liliith's children

2. The Evangelions are clone of Adam but they have the souls of humans in them.

3. Lilith is the source of all life on Earth. She is a seed of life sent by an alien race.

4. Adam is another seed of life

5. Seele is an organization that wants to prevent the angels from merging with Adam, and then later to join Adam with Lilith so that humanity becomes one entity. They believe that humanity is an evolutionary dead end and that combining humans into one entity will solve this problem.

6. Nerv is an organization started by Seele to operate the Evangelions to stop Adam from joining with the angels

7. He wants to reunite with his wife through joining Rei with Adam

8. He is a human clone with Adam's DNA

9. The Second Impact is when people did experiments with Adam. The Third Impact is when Adam joins with Lility.

hth

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
That's all apocryphal stuff from the video game, it's studio sanctioned fanfiction.

SatansChoice
Sep 14, 2016

by Smythe
hey so about those crops people were farming :(

SatansChoice
Sep 14, 2016

by Smythe
i love to harvest the souls of anime kids by getting them to enjoy anime. i believe in Gaia because of neon genesis avenge a lion

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
It has an very catchy theme song

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

DUNK A DILL PICKLE REALDO
it's about the creator's painful process of psychoanalysis

hope this helps, op!

Handuar
Jun 30, 2007

GET IN THE DAMN CRAZY-BUS ARTHUR!
Eva was just a big scam so that Hideaki Anno and Shinji Higuchi could make a Godzilla movie in the year of our lord 2016.

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

It was all aliens, not making this up the creator said this. All the religious stuff was all just aliens in the end.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Cartoons are for children, OP.

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

Anyone know if Shin Godzilla is any good?

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

I always thought unit 00 and unit 01 were clones of Lilith. The rest were definitely Adam clones though. I also think that Seele doesn't get what it wants, since Shinji ends up being the arbiter of human destiny instead of them. At first he's like "Make it all feel better!" cause Shinjis a little bitch. But at the end he realizes that all humanity being one being sucks and frees everyone.

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

I alone can see through the media bias.

I'm also stupid on a scale that can only be measured in Reddits.

caleramaen posted:

I always thought unit 00 and unit 01 were clones of Lilith. The rest were definitely Adam clones though. I also think that Seele doesn't get what it wants, since Shinji ends up being the arbiter of human destiny instead of them. At first he's like "Make it all feel better!" cause Shinjis a little bitch. But at the end he realizes that all humanity being one being sucks and frees everyone.

01 is defs. Lilith-derived. That's one of the Big Secrets of the seele and nerv bosses, along with the fact that it's lilith, not adam who is entombed in terminal dogma. It's why 01 is central to both gendo and seele's plans. It is the eva that can merge with the greater Lilith. I presume this merging is necessary because seele wants control over the fruit of life as well as the fruit of knowledge and by design Lilith is only endowed with the fruit of knowledge. In the series the physical manifestation of the fruit of life is the s2 engine. The combination of these two powers is why complete 01 is considered godlike.

In that lovely video game where the ancient aliens angle is revealed, it's apparently also shown that seele has a three level misinformation campaign going on. To the public, they are all "Holy poo poo, we are under attack by xenos we don't know wtf. Lets defend earf, guise." To seele peons they are all "We know where the xenos come from, this thing called Adam. We are experimenting with the tech to contain Adam and destroy its spawn." The existence of Lilith, humans being Lilith-spawn, 01 being made from lilith, the fact that seele has the instruction manual, and their apotheosis gambit is all seraphic/8x classified and only known to the seele council.

Seele absolutely does get what they want, for a while at least. Humanity is merged with the powers of both progenitors in EoE and that is seele's preferred endgame. The god that they create kills itself though, so they only get immortality of a sort rather than that plus unlimited cosmic power.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Nathilus posted:

Seele absolutely does get what they want, for a while at least. Humanity is merged with the powers of both progenitors in EoE and that is seele's preferred endgame. The god that they create kills itself though, so they only get immortality of a sort rather than that plus unlimited cosmic power.
Yeah see this is worse than the original ending where a young man comes to grips with his problems and is congratulated for it by supportive family members and friends.

LT56
Sep 9, 2016

by Smythe
it's amazing how much metaphorical socialization can recalibrate people's personality core matrixes like what happened to rei when the gnosis possessed her

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

Chill la Chill posted:

Yeah see this is worse than the original ending where a young man comes to grips with his problems and is congratulated for it by supportive family members and friends.

:agreed:

Its basically anno going "YOU WANTED GIANT CRAZY ROBUTTS? HERES YOUR ROBUTTS, A$$HOLES"

*shinji jacks off, spends twenty minutes screaming*

At least he "gets" his fanbase.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time
Could an EVA beat a Megazord?

pants in my pants
Aug 18, 2009

by Smythe

Germstore posted:

I only watched through the series once well over a decade ago, but I still know Cruel Angel Thesis phonetically.

SatansChoice
Sep 14, 2016

by Smythe

Germstore posted:

cut down your peasant filth this is quantum gate we're talking about

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

Germstore posted:

Eh, probably.

pants in my pants
Aug 18, 2009

by Smythe
I MUST PILOT THE EVA!!

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Nathilus posted:

That's what I was saying though. I don't really think any sane person would make Shinji Ikari their god. The one action he does take in that entire movie is to unmerge all the souls. I have to figure Seele is pretty unhappy with that outcome.

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

Anyone know if Shin Godzilla has plenty of fan-service!?

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Lots of Godzilla tits

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
Some depressed Japanese guy was put in charge of a giant robot show as his own therapist. All the Christian stuff was just there because he thought it was cool.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
My roommate Freshman year in college used to say "beep" every time he touched a button and had a framed photo of Rei he kept at his desk because she was his girlfriend.

I recently watched Rebuild 1&2 and they were fun but in a post "walking in on your terminally autistic roommate masturbating to his framed picture of Rei" world I really have to say that Eva is many times more good than bad.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

caleramaen posted:

That's what I was saying though. I don't really think any sane person would make Shinji Ikari their god. The one action he does take in that entire movie is to unmerge all the souls. I have to figure Seele is pretty unhappy with that outcome.

Even with incredible cosmic power, Shinji still fucks it up.

I have to give them credit, it's got to be hard to have a show with a main character who is literally loving terrible at every single thing he does. The only time he's an effective pilot is when he's unconscious.

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Whens the last movie going to come out

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

two forty posted:

I MUST PILOT THE EVA!!

https://youtu.be/DZVzzNQY7BI

Bert Roberge
Nov 28, 2003

I don't understand any of this thread.

Can someone tell me some good dub animes because I am totally against reading.

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

Bert Roberge posted:

Space Dandy.

The last episode is even thread relevant!

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

Bert Roberge posted:

Eva and cowboy bebop are the gold standard of mostly non-weeb anime and both have decent dubs. Just why though? Why get into anime? Really dumb idea imo. Look at how stupid and lame I have made myself seem with my horrible, tragic evaposting in this thread. Is that what you want for yourself? REALLY?

Just dont do it bro. Blissful ignorance is the key to a happy, fulfilled life.

If you need more convincing, go read adtrw for 5 minutes.

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

How the gently caress does eva qualify as "non-weeb?"

Cruising Altitude
Sep 15, 2016

by WE B Bourgeois
love watching the medical experiments in this when the torches go to the brain flesh it's so graphic and only makes me feel good inside. it reminds me of heavy metal magazine 80s/ early 90s sci-fi fantasy art

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib

americong posted:

nobody should have to come to terms with their sexuality through the dragonriders of pern

Lol

• Locked thread