Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
Evagelion is a very love it or hate it kinda show. I think you need to be a depressed, broken, self-loathing individual to truly "get" it. I'm a pathetic sadsack loser, so it's right up my alley!

The Evangelion manga kinda spells everything out for you, sorta like the book version of 2001: A Space Odyssey or the Shining vs. the Stanley Kubrick films. Eva is very, very Kubrick-esque.

It's the same story, but put through a filter to make it more palatable to general audiences - so it's tamer and a little dumbed down. I.E. it doesn't have the infamous fapping scene, has a happy ending and so on. Its version of Rei actually makes her into an interesting character, though. It's worth a read though and it's a good companion piece to the original work. I kinda hated the David Lynch Dune movie until I read the book and understood the context, then I was like "oh, I like this, this is clever." I always liked Eva, though.

The Rebuild movies are not amazing though and aren't a classic like the original was. I can't really recommend them unless you've already seen the original.

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

it's basically a show about the psychological brutalization of child soldiers fighting for an apocalypse cult

Pretty much. It's a show that's more or less a giant metaphor for depression and Freudian psychology. It's not actually a show about giant robots or religion or whatever.

frogge posted:

Didn't the show's creator drop a shitload of acid when he came up with the idea for the show?
I think he also killed himself, too.

He's still alive and is doing the new Godzilla movie now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

notZaar posted:

Wow, can't wait for Godzilla to get mind raped by mothra!

Nah. The new Godzilla looks like he's made of corpses and seems to have a penis on his tail. Close, though!

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

The characters in Eva are pretty terrifyingly spot-on to people with debilitating mental disorders, whether it was intentional or not. What's scarier is I've known actual people who are kinda similar to people in the show.

It's really not a show about giant robots, or aliens, or religion or symbolism or whatever. It's basically a show about severe depression and mental illness and the rest is window dressing. I have a theory that if you "don't get it", there's good news! You're probably moderately well-adjusted and thus don't really have a common frame of reference. So what I'm saying is if you're a typical sadbrain self-loathing nerd who posts in GBS, Eva is a show that you can likely relate to. If you're happy and life is good, you might not like Eva so much.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

caleramaen posted:

I'm of the opinion that Shinji's real life is actually an incredibly depressing version of that. He's not actually fighting giant monsters, he's just a regular kid who created this universe in his head cause his life is horrible as poo poo. His mom's dead, his dad ignores him, the girl he likes hates him, and everything terrible about the series is to some degree real, except it's incredibly mundane. Which means even in his fantasies, Shinji is the most pathetic person alive.

I've heard of that theory before and it's one I really like.

Shinji is also pretty close to being Anno's self-insert so that might be pretty close to the truth.

• Locked thread