Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
americong
May 29, 2013

I really like the preachy gender/misogyny reading of eva

I also really like the "Hideaki Anno makes every creative decision out of revulsion for anime likers" reading of eva

they are kinda the same reading

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

americong
May 29, 2013

my favorite part of evangelion is that rei and asuka were designed from the ground to display the toxic side of infatuation + adolescent male sexuality and also to be a big gently caress you to creepy anime fans

and they are the most-remembered, most-influential, most-doujinshi'd elements of the show

we've had twenty years of asuka clones in anime because nobody got the joke

americong
May 29, 2013

the biggest point of criticism of nge i've found myself agreeing with is that there was very little anno gained in terms of "the point" by showing 12 year old girls get groomed and/or sexually assaulted as they wage war against aliens

the point could have been conveyed more clearly (obviously bunches of people don't get it) and without resorting to that kind of depiction (which, you know, is kind of creepy, and counterproductive)

americong
May 29, 2013

personable decorum posted:

i read the myst books in middle school and that was all i really needed

same here but low tier 80s fantasy

americong
May 29, 2013

personable decorum posted:

the 80s were a hell of a time

nobody should have to come to terms with their sexuality through the dragonriders of pern

americong
May 29, 2013

Catalina posted:

I stopped watching anime regularly around 2009 or so, but occasionally I'll get pulled back in by the really good ones. Puella Magi Madoka Magica from 2011 was really good, and for a Magical Girl show aimed at a older teens male audience, the creepy stuff was at an acceptable (for me, 31 female with low tolerance) minimum. Attack on Titan from 2013 and still running was also very good, and I find one of the best stories in any genre, period. The author has no tolerance for moe bullshit and creepy fanservice, so there's none of that. In fact, when the magazine it ran in told him to draw the main female character in a bikini, he put her in a masculine sports one and drew her with washboard six pack abs :laffo:

Most anime is crap, even more so as you get older, so uh...other than that, who knows? However, those are two I'll ruin my Goon Street Cred* for and recommend.

*Whatever's left after posting in an Evangelion thread.

madoka was good but especially in the sense of being a concise story with a clear arc and gimmick

attack on titan was fun when i watched it and i agree on the art style but i cannot tolerate long runners

americong
May 29, 2013

rewatching because of this thread, the series is very different when you aren't watching it in the middle of crippling depression

americong
May 29, 2013

icantfindaname posted:

i'm a confirmed anime liker, but anime cgi is something that nobody wants. please don't go there

i prefer my anime cgi to be primitive and only shots of cars on mountainsides

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

americong
May 29, 2013

thunderchief posted:

if we're talking goon approved anime

how the gently caress did nobody mention LEGEND OF THE GALACTIC HEROES yet

with logh i hit that point where i'm still enjoying every episode but my fear of commitment prevents me from investing more time

• Locked thread