Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Dennis System
Aug 4, 2014

Nothing in Jurassic World is natural, we have always filled gaps in the genome with the DNA of other animals. And if the genetic code was pure, many of them would look quite different. But you didn't ask for reality, you asked for more teeth.
I've seen the original series and the End of Evangelion, but I don't understand what the hell was even going on in that show. Maybe someone here could explain the show to me and answer a couple of questions?

1 - What are the angels and what are their goals?

2 - What are the Evas?

3 - Who is Lillith?

4 - Who is Adam?

5 - What is Seele and what are it's goals?

6 - What is NERV and what are it's goals?

7 - What is Gendo's goal?

8 - Why is the final Angel a humanoid? All the other Angels are giant, super-monsters, so why does this Angel suddenly look like a human?

9 - What was the purpose of the Impacts?

I have many more questions, but I think the above are the most important. Anyone?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Dennis System
Aug 4, 2014

Nothing in Jurassic World is natural, we have always filled gaps in the genome with the DNA of other animals. And if the genetic code was pure, many of them would look quite different. But you didn't ask for reality, you asked for more teeth.

Shinjobi posted:

evas are like...synthetic angels or something. they've got fleshy bits mixed in with all the circuitry and crap. adam was the first angel, and any time he pops up the planet kinda shits itself something fierce. Lillith is another angel and humans apparently are her offspring. Don't ask me how.

Seele wants everyone to share one collective consciousness and live forever. They want to be the orange goo forever. NERV/Gendo wants to be reuinited with Yui because Gendo got tired of banging the younger blonde that worked for him.

The final angel is a humanoid because it's loving cool, that's why. Humans are spooky.

Impacts are code for whenever Adam pops up and accidentally destroys stuff, usually. Exceptions made in the Rebuild movies, but gently caress if I understand that poo poo.

Lemme drink a few more beers and I'll get REALLY in depth.

EDIT:

This works a lot better than my answer

So it sounds like Seele are pretty cool guys then. It's too bad Gendo hosed them over.

The Dennis System
Aug 4, 2014

Nathilus posted:

Correct.

I feel some pity so I'll elaborate. Keep in mind this is all stupid window dressing to the core story.

Adam and Lilith are lifeform factories. They were meant to terraform a joint and then spit out babies. Lilith is the progenitor of humans while adam is the same for the angels. They shoot out different kinds of lifeforms though and were not intended to be based on the same planet. One angel is equivalent to the entire human race. They're unitary organisms and we aren't.

Some humans figured this out and became the illuminati. That's seele. They want to turn the human race into a unitary organism like the angels for various reasons. They caused the second impact by tampering with adam. The impact itself is a terraforming event, originally intended to make a planet ready for angels. It wasn't supposed to go off with lilims, us, already on the planet. Despite the fuckup, seele learns how to make fake angels via adam that are controllable with the addition of mommy souls. That's evas.

Nerve is a testing and defense arm of seele headed by gendo. He's (not so) secretly a traitor and wants the same thing seele does, except on his own terms, because he wants to be with his wife, whose mentality is stuck in 01.

I've now lost all my hard earned gbs cred so enjoy. Hope it was worth it, rear end in a top hat.

Interesting. This actually clears up a lot of stuff. But why is Adam on Earth if the Earth is a Lillith planet? Shouldn't he be off on some Angel planet? And I thought Shinji's mom was the basis of all Evas. I didn't think there were different mothers for each Eva.

The Dennis System
Aug 4, 2014

Nathilus posted:

It's not mentioned but presumably adam remained inactive till seele hosed with it, since there were no angels until then and only one impact that was what made the earths natural biosphere, so that was lilith.

Specifically the angels are aiming for adam and lilith, again presumably to stop humans from loving with them. Angels always attack nerve which is where both adam and lilith are housed.

Whoa, so the angels aren't actually trying to kill off humanity. They're just trying to stop Seele and NERV from trying to create the instrumentality. Although if the angels weren't really trying to hurt anyone, you'd think Katsuragi and a lot of the other NERV people would be against instrumentality and go ahead let the angels take back Adam.

The Dennis System
Aug 4, 2014

Nathilus posted:

Cosmic coincidence. They are both part of a larger life-breeding program, and of all the who knows how many biofactories that were seeded, two ended up close to each other. Iirc adam actually landed on the moon and was brought to earth by some cataclysm.

Each eva has the pilot's mom inside. Except 00. I have no idea about 00. An earlier rei maybe. Eventually the figure out how to automate evas with reis whether they have a soul or not. That's the dummy plug system. This works cuz rei is a subset of lilith. Presumably she has overrides embedded in her by nature. It's kinda weird though because as we've said, evas are from adam, not lilith.

I thought Rei was just a straight-up clone of Shinji's mom. I didn't know she had any Lillith in her.

The Dennis System
Aug 4, 2014

Shinjobi posted:

I believe the blue hair and red eyes come from Lilith. Kaworu, who is also an angel, has a similarish hair/eye coloration.

You're right. I forgot they both had red eyes.

The Dennis System
Aug 4, 2014

Applewhite posted:

Nobody does, OP, but you can easily spot people who are super up their own rear end because they pretend to.

I don't know, some people in this thread have made some pretty good explanations of the basics of the plot. It actually does make a lot more sense to me now. Although I'm sure the story isn't completely coherent and the fans are probably filling in a lot of plot holes themselves.

The Dennis System
Aug 4, 2014

Germstore posted:

isn't she a clone of his mother too or something hosed up like that?

Nah, one of the other girls he wants to bone down on is a clone of his mother.

The Dennis System
Aug 4, 2014

Nathilus posted:

Eva and cowboy bebop are the gold standard of mostly non-weeb anime and both have decent dubs. Just why though? Why get into anime? Really dumb idea imo. Look at how stupid and lame I have made myself seem with my horrible, tragic evaposting in this thread. Is that what you want for yourself? REALLY?

Just dont do it bro. Blissful ignorance is the key to a happy, fulfilled life.

If you need more convincing, go read adtrw for 5 minutes.

I think the most baller, non-weeb anime might be Death Note.

The Dennis System
Aug 4, 2014

glowing-fish posted:

Your contempt for me, and the fact that I can't make myself understood by you, are just a sacrifice I make for the spiritual reward of living as a self amongst others.

The Dennis System
Aug 4, 2014

I found the Shinji choking Asuka stuff very disturbing and not consistent with Shinji's character. I didn't get what the point of that was at all.. Shinji is weak and fearful, he's not supposed to be a psycho.

The Dennis System
Aug 4, 2014

skasion posted:

The scene is a reference to the end of Devilman where Satan and Devilman are chilling on the beach after the apocalypse wiped out humankind and Satan is expounding the gently caress out of its philosophy and hatred of God and reasoning for being such a dick and then it turns out that Devilman was dead all along, Satan was ranting at a corpse, and the angels are about to come down and gently caress Satan's poo poo up. Or alternatively it's a reference to the bit in Do You Remember Love where Hikaru and Hayase crash on Earth only to find that it's been nuked to gently caress from orbit and they just camp out on the beach eating weird mutant fish until romance develops between them.

Also Shinji is fearful for sure, but he isn't exactly weak in the sense of being violence averse. On the contrary he's boneheaded, selfish, and stubborn. Last time he saw Asuka he was strangling her, he probably figured he might as well keep at it since it didn't take.

Maybe you're right, but, unfortunately, I've never seen Devilman or Do You Remember Love.

Sonofsilversign posted:

i think its a good scene cause its so open to interpretation like you could see it as proof that seele was right and humans just cause each other to suffer or as him trying to reassert his individual existence by destroying hers or whatevs

Could be. But I still prefer the original series "congratulations" ending.

The Dennis System
Aug 4, 2014

XenophobicAirport posted:

Evangelion is a really poorly explained show and additional critical info the fans have gotten after it released makes it less confusing. 8 pages in, I'll bite:

In Evangelion, an ancient alien race creates life by tossing seeds of life across the universe in the form of moons containing primordial angels and spears. Two moons end up on the same planet by accident, one containing Adam (which floats around the Earth, the white moon) and the black moon containing Lilith (in NERV HQ that flies out in EoE during third impact) The angels, accidentally being on the same planet as humanity, decide they don't want to share, as this planet was designated for them, and want to wipe humanity off of Earth by initiating an impact by doing something with Adam. They think Adam is in the basement of NERV, but Lilith is actually in NERV's basement. This is why Kaworu is confused when he actually gets there and finds Lilith.

Evas are robotically-engineered clones of Adam designed for destroying the angels when they decide to wake up. A "fight fire with fire" sort of thing. They are made by cloning Adam, inserting a human soul into them and then engineering robotic elements into them to keep controlled.

A primordial being to create life. She comes from the black moon and humanity comes from her. She's locked in the basement of NERV and is being used for various things at once.

A primordial being to create life. He comes from the white moon and the angels come from him. His body was condensed into a lizard-looking thing during second impact and ends up in Gendo's hand.

Seele is like Evangelion Illuminati and is made up of powerful leaders from around the world. They want to initiate the "Instrumentality of Humanity" Project because they think humanity has reached an evolutionary dead end. By initiating third impact using the body of Lilith, they want to combine humanity into one being (tang water) so that people can truly embrace and understand each other.

NERV is an organisation that was founded to realize Seele's ambitions. It was founded to combat those pesky children of Adam using the Evas when they awakened and tried to destroy humanity and then initiate the instrumentality of humanity on Seele's terms.

Gendo lost his wife, Yui, during an experiment with prototype Eva units. Specifically, the building of Eva-01, where her soul ends up trapped in it. From then he switched from working for Seele's ambitions to his own ambitions of using instrumentality as a means to reunite with her. To do this he cloned Yui somehow using her DNA and the soul of Lilith, now vegetate in the basement of NERV, the result was Rei. He was then going to merge Adam and Lilith together using Rei and the condensed version of Adam that was created during second impact, which he put in his hand. Only Rei gets tired of his poo poo in the end and removes control of instrumentality from him, handing it over to Shinji.

That's Kaworu. He was made during second impact and contains the soul of Adam, similar to the way that was used to make Rei, only using some of Adam and an unknown human donor. He was sent to NERV by Seele to try and initiate a third impact on their terms as they suspected at this point Gendo was planning to undermine them, only Adam's body isn't in the basement of NERV like he thought it would be. Failing that, Seele just bombed the place into oblivion in End of Eva.

A cleansing cataclysm designed to make way for new life on a planet, removing any existing life.

:effort:

Interesting. Although some of this contradicts what Nathilus said earlier. He claimed that the Angels weren't trying to destroy humanity but were just trying to get Adam away from NERV and Seele so that they would stop messing with it and causing impacts.

Adam being shrunk down is very weird. I have no memory of Gendo holding Adam in his hand, although I easily could have missed that. And wasn't Adam's body still on the moon?

So Gendo's plan would only reunite himself and his wife into one being and the rest of humanity would not be included? Or all of humanity would be included in Gendo's instrumentality, and the only difference between Gendo's and Seele's instrumentality would be the inclusion of Gendo's wife?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Dennis System
Aug 4, 2014

DoctorStrangelove posted:

An AT Field is basically just an Eva's Stand.

I thought it was like the Ego or something.

• Locked thread