Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
I understand that I bought the whole series on DVD when I was 16 and it's probably the reason I'm a weirdo goon now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
Luckily this wasn't an issue for American fans because her dubbed voice is about as pleasant to listen to as rusty nails on a chalkboard.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
Well they were controlled by software so they don't give a poo poo about pain or survival. They never died, they were only injured.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
Sci-fi where everything has an answer is boring as hell. See: Star Trek TNG

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Gammatron 64 posted:

Evagelion is a very love it or hate it kinda show. I think you need to be a depressed, broken, self-loathing individual to truly "get" it. I'm a pathetic sadsack loser, so it's right up my alley!

The Evangelion manga kinda spells everything out for you, sorta like the book version of 2001: A Space Odyssey or the Shining vs. the Stanley Kubrick films. Eva is very, very Kubrick-esque.

It's the same story, but put through a filter to make it more palatable to general audiences - so it's tamer and a little dumbed down. I.E. it doesn't have the infamous fapping scene, has a happy ending and so on. Its version of Rei actually makes her into an interesting character, though. It's worth a read though and it's a good companion piece to the original work. I kinda hated the David Lynch Dune movie until I read the book and understood the context, then I was like "oh, I like this, this is clever." I always liked Eva, though.

The Rebuild movies are not amazing though and aren't a classic like the original was. I can't really recommend them unless you've already seen the original.

Pretty much. It's a show that's more or less a giant metaphor for depression and Freudian psychology. It's not actually a show about giant robots or religion or whatever.

He's still alive and is doing the new Godzilla movie now.

Wow, can't wait for Godzilla to get mind raped by mothra!

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
That's all apocryphal stuff from the video game, it's studio sanctioned fanfiction.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
Mindgame gets the same point across as Eva much more efficiently and effectively.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Panfilo posted:

Where did you get this from? Its pretty cool, we only get glimpses if what the evas look like without their armor.

It's fanart, but drat nice

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
:catholic: They're called "Eva" because they were cloned from Adam's body (ie rib)

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

skasion posted:

Except for Eva-01, which is a Lilith clone.

Creative license.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

garfield hentai posted:

I think Eva fans should check out Jojo, there's a lot of similarities. Just like Eva is a show ostensibly about robots that's really about depression, Jojo is a show ostensibly about cool guys beating up other cool guys that's really about cool guys beating up other cool guys

I was sad when Jonathan died but all good things must come to an end.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Volcott posted:

His body made it to part 3, and his toe came back to life in part 6.

Hmm perhaps it's finally time to read Battle Tendency... maybe...

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

icantfindaname posted:

i'm a confirmed anime liker, but anime cgi is something that nobody wants. please don't go there

Berserk 2016 is the latest casualty in this war

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
You guys ever seen Space Adventure Cobra? That's a good rear end anime. No little kids, just a cool dude with a gun arm and an army of hot chicks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

space pirate captain harlock is my favorite

the badass 70s tv series, not the dogshit CGI movie that came out a year or two ago

Cobra I think is actually a riff on that show because he starts out looking the same but gets plastic surgery and a more relaxed attitude.

• Locked thread