Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib

Nathilus posted:

EoE at least was DEFINITELY a hate gently caress. But the dude was also seriously mentally unwell at the time.

(I love being hate hosed.)

Asuka getting devoured is fuckin badass

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib

americong posted:

nobody should have to come to terms with their sexuality through the dragonriders of pern

Lol

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
I agree that if you think Shinji "getting balls" in the rebuild 2 is totally missing the point, especially if you have issue with the characters hating him in rebuild 3 : "but he did something the thought was right!! Everyone is ganging up on him" every one has 12 years of his decision riding on their backs, you get to a point where it doesn't matter what someone's intentions are but only the results: in shinjis case : you can easily convince yourself he meant everything bad that happened and hate him for it.

It's hard you really conceptualize what a decade plus can do to your mind, mentally, if you're living in the aftermath of someones boneheaded decision, regardless if you agreed with them initially.

I know rebuild 3 is supposed to be a commentary on the Eva fans being stunted, but while I was initially really frustrated with everyone's reactions to shinjis decision / action from a decade previous, some bullshit irl actually cemented the idea that intentions don't mean ANYTHING.

Rebuild 3 is a lot more interesting with the idea in mind that everyone who opposes or hates Shinji is not "wrong ".

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib

Nathilus posted:

I read an interesting theory somewhere that each rebuild is a different take on eva. 1 is eva as it was, 2 is eva as anno percieved the fans wanted it to be, and 3 is the eva that is more in line with anno's ideals for the series.

As cathartic as seeing shinji nut up was after all those years, 2 does strike me as kinda wierd and off. No one is acting nuts or mean spirited. The girls are fighting over shinji (lol). Asuka treats him like a human being rather than a particularly contemptible dog. He easily gets in the robot with zero bitching. There's this character that can beat angels without a horrific emotional cost. Hell even gendo starts acting like some warm blood is flowing through his veins. It's kinda refreshing but is it even eva really? There's enough blood for it to be so, at least.

nice

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
No, no one comes back except asuka. He kills everyone by interrupting instrumentality. That was his "decision" that no one deserved a second chance. But I guess "humanity" did

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
I disagree but see how that works

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib

Number 1 Sexy Dad posted:

that was my intro to both evangelion and rammstein when I was like 14 and boy what a time it was to be alive

Same for me

• Locked thread