Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

Well, it's been a ride so far hasn't it? What with crazy mid-season Hydra twist, crazy mid-season Inhumans twist, crazy Kyle Maclachlan...

Never forget. Best. Day. Ever.

...*ahem*, crazy end-of-season liquid rock abduction...

...crazy mid-season undead inhuman Ward twist, (*pause for mourning*) and crazy end-of-season LMD twist...and now we have a out-of-season twist with the revelation that holy poo poo, muthafucking GHOST RIDER is joining the series?!?

No, not that Ghost Rider. But can you imagine Nic Cage on the show??

The Story So Far
After his apparent death in The Avengers, Agent Phil Coulson was resurrected via the T.A.H.I.T.I. program by pumping him full of alien DNA and wiping his memory of having it done. Afterwards, Nick Fury put him in charge of a mobile team including Agents Grant Ward, Melinda May, Leo Fitz, and Jemma Simmons. On their first mission together, they "adopted" professional hacker Skye (no last name at that time, and yes we all know that's not her name, the gag isn't funny without her dad around.), who joined the team to provide computer assistance. They took care of a few minor threats, then Captain America: The Winter Soldier happened, and it turned out that Ward had been turned to HYDRA by his mentor Bill Paxton. By the end of season one, Coulson was promoted to Director of SHIELD (as Fury had faked his death in Winter Soldier), Ward was imprisoned, and Skye had begun full agent training.

Season Two started with the new head of HYDRA looking for an object called The Diviner that he'd tried to weaponize during WWII. He wasn't the only one after it, as so was Skye's father Dr. Calvin Johnson aka Cal Zabo. As the Diviner was actually a container for Terrigen Crystals that can mutate certain humans into "inhumans" giving them superhuman powers and possibly permanently changing their appearance. By the end of the first half of the season, we discovered Skye's real name was Daisy Johnson, and she became the Inhuman Quake. We were also introduced to three new team members, Al "Mack" MacKenzie, Bobbi Morse and Lance Hunter. The second half of the season primarily dealt with Daisy finding out her mom was an Inhuman vampire, and a splinter group of SHIELD agents trying to seize control of the organization from Coulson who they believed was unstable. The end of the season had the team essentially going to war with the Inhumans under Daisy's mom, and ended with Cal snapping her neck and getting a TAHITI mindwipe, a crate of Terrigen Crystals dissolving in the ocean and polluting the fish population, Terrigen-tainted Fish Oil Pills being unknowingly sold in stores, Coulson's hand being severed in order to save his life, and Simmons being absorbed by a stone that teleported her to an alien world. Also, Grant Ward went right 'round the loving twist in the best possible ways.

Season Three began with the team helping newly minted Inhumans come to grips with their lives suddenly changing irreparably, introducing recurring Inhumans Joey Gutierrez (who could melt anything metal he was in proximity to), and Elena "Yo-Yo" Rodriguez...along with Lash, an Inhuman driven to kill other Inhumans (more on him in a bit). The major threads of the season were the motives of the Advanced Threat Containment Unit, and Ward's attempts to resurrect HYDRA. The ATCU, run by Rosalind Price, had been influenced by the new secret head of HYDRA Gideon Malick, who had been raised to believe that there was a HYDRA God on the other side of the rock that took Simmons. Price was unaware of Malick's true loyalties. After Simmons had been rescued from the alien world (called Maveth), Ward assassinated Price (who had become romantically involved with Coulson) then Malick and Ward kidnapped Simmons and Fitz so that Fitz would attempt to lead them to the HYDRA God. Additionally, it was discovered that Lash was actually Agent May's ex-husband Andrew Garner. Coulson followed Ward through to Maveth, where he crushed Ward's loving sternum in

Quoting for :black101:
, and Fitz tried to barbecue the HYDRA God with a flare gun. However the "God" was in fact the first Inhuman, who had mutated into a parasite that could occupy any dead body, and joined with Ward, making him the Inhuman Hive. Hive's major ability was to control any other Inhuman, addicting them to his presence, and as such he wanted to recreate the original experiment that created him, but on a global scale. In an attempt to thwart him and Malick, Bobbi and Hunter were forced to be disavowed from SHIELD (actually an excuse to give them their own series...which fell through, so fingers crossed they get to come back!), Daisy's boyfriend Lincoln sacrificed himself to blow up Hive in low orbit, and blaming herself Daisy fled SHIELD adopting the Quake identity as a sort of professional vigilante. Also, Coulson gave up the reins of SHIELD to a new director, and Doctor Holden Radcliffe, a scientist Hive had forced to work for him under pain of horrible death, had created the first Life Model Decoy.

Also, Hive was pretty awesome looking.

So that brings us to now. This season we're introducing Robbie Reyes, the new Ghost Rider

Along with the new Director of SHIELD, played by Jason O'Mara, whose actual name in the series hasn't been revealed yet beyond him being “a character whose Marvel roots go back to the 1940s.”

Oh, and lest we forget, the dream is real.

Team Shotgun-Axe forever!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
Good OP, good show. When is the premiere?
Oh it's next week already? That's nice.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

While it's on the image, just wanted to remind people that it will air an hour later this season at 10/9. Probably because last season ABC couldn't keep a show in that timeslot to save their life.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true
Great OP

Agents is still sorta flying solo on its night. Its partnered with a bunch of middling sitcoms that don't share any demographics. Doesn't help that its key demographic would probably rather watch the show next day on Hulu or after the season on Netflix.

What I am saying is only pay enough attention to the ratings insofar as to understand that they can be bad and this show can still escape cancellation if only just.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

kayakyakr posted:

What I am saying is only pay enough attention to the ratings insofar as to understand that they can be bad and this show can still escape cancellation if only just.

Agent Carter had good Live+3 numbers too

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Agent Carter had worse overall numbers and flagging reviews and viewership. Its Live+3 gave it a boost, but not enough of one to save it. It also lost its primary benefactor at ABC and had a strange distribution deal that meant that it was not on Netflix and old seasons were not on Hulu, so there's that.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...
I just hope we get a flashback episode to close out that last Carter storyline. :( Don't just leave us hanging on that, ABC!

Radio!
Mar 15, 2008

Look at that post.

kayakyakr posted:

Doesn't help that its key demographic would probably rather watch the show next day on Hulu or after the season on Netflix.\

The only reason I watch it live is because of this thread.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

I fully expect this will be the last season of AoS because the show will hit syndication, and it seems like ABC and Marvel have kind of soured on the Network TV experiment. That said, four seasons is a good run for any show and I'm looking forward to seeing where they go with it.

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

Ensign_Ricky posted:

I just hope we get a flashback episode to close out that last Carter storyline. :( Don't just leave us hanging on that, ABC!

I know this is unlikely but I'm holding out hope :ohdear:

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

Radio! posted:

The only reason I watch it live is because of this thread.

I watch it on DVR and still follow along with the thread, trying to time how far I read in the thread with where the show is at. Sometimes I get spoiled, but it's worth it for the :tviv: reactions.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

Pander posted:

I watch it on DVR and still follow along with the thread, trying to time how far I read in the thread with where the show is at. Sometimes I get spoiled, but it's worth it for the :tviv: reactions.

Yeah, I get the season pass on iTunes and watch it while reading the thread. So far, no major spoilers so it's been pretty win-win.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Goddamn I am too hyped up for this season.

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...
Excited for it to be back. It's my favorite of the Marvel television! People are saying Luke Cage is best of the Netflix stuff though so that's got me pretty excited. Good month for Marvel shows.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
http://i.imgur.com/TdZRkOu.gifv

I'm getting hype for next week!

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

PunkBoy posted:

http://i.imgur.com/TdZRkOu.gifv

I'm getting hype for next week!

I love this GIF.

Also, NEXT WEEK?! That's... that's SOON... Goddamn. Everything good is happening next week.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Not even "net week". Tuesday. Just 3 days from now. :woop:

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
Sneak peak for the opening
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pWz44Oh13sQ

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
I'm pumped for this.

I just really hope we get Hellfire back this season too. It seems like it's gonna be Quake vs Ghost Rider, but it'd be pretty cool if they get Hellfire involved too and acknowledge that he's also a descendant of the Rider line.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
If they're bringing in Ghost Rider, then this season might be about more magic-y stuff with a tie in to dr. Strange

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

Error 404 posted:

If they're bringing in Ghost Rider, then this season might be about more magic-y stuff with a tie in to dr. Strange

That's pretty much the case from what Whedon's been saying; how does the team cope with the fact that there is actual loving magic, that's not just the old "any technology sufficiently advanced enough blah blah blah".

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Ensign_Ricky posted:

That's pretty much the case from what Whedon's been saying; how does the team cope with the fact that there is actual loving magic, that's not just the old "any technology sufficiently advanced enough blah blah blah".

Simmons is going to be upset

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Jamesman posted:

I'm pumped for this.

I just really hope we get Hellfire back this season too. It seems like it's gonna be Quake vs Ghost Rider, but it'd be pretty cool if they get Hellfire involved too and acknowledge that he's also a descendant of the Rider line.

I want Hellfire back so we can have a chain vs chain battle.

Proposition Joe
Oct 8, 2010

He was a good man
Sneak peak at Ghost Rider's origin story:

https://twitter.com/dasharez0ne/status/770641559129690112

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

Regy Rusty posted:

Simmons is going to be upset

Simmons and Fitz. Also, I wonder if they're going to keep Ghost Rider's origin as being a Spirit of Vengeance from hell, or change it up a bit to tie into Dr. Strange. After all, he's not the only being in Marvel who has a fiery head.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

Ensign_Ricky posted:

Simmons and Fitz. Also, I wonder if they're going to keep Ghost Rider's origin as being a Spirit of Vengeance from hell, or change it up a bit to tie into Dr. Strange. After all, he's not the only being in Marvel who has a fiery head.

Is Dormammu in Dr. Strange???

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Robbie Reyes' thing is kind of different from the other Ghost Riders as his stuff (in the comics) isn't explicitly a spirit of vengeance thing.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

Klungar posted:

Is Dormammu in Dr. Strange???

It's rumored he's the actual big bad pulling Mads MIkkelsen's (sp?) strings.

Rumored.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
I sure hope the election doesn't interrupt the show like it did last season.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

Enjoy it while you can, all shows will be cancelled and replaced with The Apprentice reruns in Trump's America.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Klungar posted:

Enjoy it while you can, all shows will be cancelled and replaced with The Apprentice reruns in Trump's America.

I think Ike Perlmutter is a Trump supporter, so everything under him is safe.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

muscles like this? posted:

Robbie Reyes' thing is kind of different from the other Ghost Riders as his stuff (in the comics) isn't explicitly a spirit of vengeance thing.

Yeah. It's a spirit that seeks some vengeance, but only because it has unfinished business, not because of a higher joint mandate from Heaven and Hell.

Still cool though.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

muscles like this? posted:

Well, not necessarily in this adaptation. The showrunners have said that they're taking some liberties with the character, and some of the promo materials around SDCC referred to him as the Spirit of Vengeance, IIRC. Though the latter might not be accurate, as some of these sorts of things have been off before.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

The MSJ posted:

I think Ike Perlmutter is a Trump supporter, so everything under him is safe.

In some ways that's worse.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

mind the walrus posted:

In some ways that's worse.

Hail Hydra, they say

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Not every day is a good day.

Dinosaur Gum
It's already starting this week? Awesome.

Over/Under on Daisy "Quake" Johnson (aka Skye) rejoining SHIELD set at 4.5 episodes. I'm taking the under.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

I'll never quite understood what happened with Carter.

It was a good show with good production values and a neat vibe, and yet it just never could find an audience. I actually don't know what they could have done to fix it, it just refused to catch on. Hell I give ABC credit for giving us a second season even, I thought it had no chance in hell of that.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Blazing Ownager posted:

I'll never quite understood what happened with Carter.

It was a good show with good production values and a neat vibe, and yet it just never could find an audience. I actually don't know what they could have done to fix it, it just refused to catch on. Hell I give ABC credit for giving us a second season even, I thought it had no chance in hell of that.

The Venn diagram between the best audience for Agent Carter and the place ABC put Agent Carter--on network television period--looks like Sloth's eyes.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

For a second I thought the subtitle was "Ghost Ride the Quip" but as it is its still a good one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

mind the walrus posted:

The Venn diagram between the best audience for Agent Carter and the place ABC put Agent Carter--on network television period--looks like Sloth's eyes.

It's also a second show with the words "Marvel" and "Agent" in the title, which probably made it a hard (or even harder, anyway) sell to anyone who wasn't still watching AoS.

• Locked thread