Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Paula Deen?
Paula Deen
Paula Deen
View Results

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010

Vegetable posted:

Visuals are a huge part of taste and blind taste tests are so unrealistic they might as well be useless. Can’t tell my brain that a pale rear end yolk is better than an orange yolk.

When Serious Eats was doing their test of different types of eggs they chose to dye the eggs blue to remove ability to perceive the color difference. Though, I can't imagine the color had a particularly positive, or even neutral, impact on the perceived flavor.

On another topic: I've been watching Masterchef Australia (season 15) and everytime they say "cooker" I can't help myself but to chime in with "COO-KAH!" I thought I had gotten over that and then I go to the slow cook/overnight episode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

smackfu posted:

Read elsewhere they are mixing it up a bit this year… quickfires will give cash or prizes, not immunity. Winning the main challenge gives immunity instead.

The episodes are also going to be 90 minutes

Mob
May 7, 2002

Me reading your posts

smackfu posted:

Is Tournament of Champions good? We are jonesin for some reality cooking shows besides Top Chef and Bake Off which are only like 20 weeks total each year.

It's probably my favorite of the competition cooking shows and one of my favorite parts is chefs freaking out over the legends who are blind judging their food

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Top Chef has really settled into a great groove. There's an underlying respect everyone has that just feels rare for cooking competition shows? Everyone is for the most part pretty competent, and while the judging is blunt and honest it's never cruel.

Just a breath of fresh air compared (unfairly) to Hell's Kitchen that still relies on Ramsay abusing them for the first 3/4 of a season, half the contestants having little to no experience in that specific job, interpersonal drama, and rewards that have laughably nothing to do with cooking. I still enjoy that slop, but I'd wager that Top Chef has reached a nirvana of vibe Great British Bake Off sat at years ago.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

smackfu posted:

Is Tournament of Champions good? We are jonesin for some reality cooking shows besides Top Chef and Bake Off which are only like 20 weeks total each year.

it's fast-paced as they get 31 head to head match ups done in 10 episodes or whatever. it's definitely televised as a sprint rather than a marathon like top chef or bake off, but the seeing some interesting chefs throw their hats into the ring because it's a lot different than putting your life on hold for TC is cool.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

Tournament of Champions and Top Chef are equally awesome but in different ways. I think the spring vs marathon comparison is perfect.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Yeah we watched the first episode of TOC season 4 last night and it was interesting. At least half the people were top chef alumni. Some harsh lighting in that studio, ouch. Like the blind judging. Glad I’m not watching with commercials.

Wish they hadn’t spoiled the previous seasons winners but I guess I should have expected that.

GigaPeon
Apr 29, 2003

Go, man, go!
Most of my Youtube subs are either video games or cooking so when I was browsing my feed this morning pre-coffee I had to read this several times to make sure it wasn't my mind playing tricks on me:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eTPjruGL-Lo

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'm watching Tournament of Champions and they didn't introduce the last bracket pair because Darnell is there. So far I haven't seen him once, so I suppose they went over this with a fine tooth comb.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

3 DONG HORSE posted:

I'm watching Tournament of Champions and they didn't introduce the last bracket pair because Darnell is there. So far I haven't seen him once, so I suppose they went over this with a fine tooth comb.

I Imagine he loses round 1 so they don’t have to mention it, although that kinda sucks for Amanda Freitag.

My family is filling out brackets this year, I have Antonia winning, everyone else in my family is picking Jet.

Melomane Mallet
Oct 11, 2012

I'm bad; I'm just not born that way.

DC Murderverse posted:

I Imagine he loses round 1 so they don’t have to mention it, although that kinda sucks for Amanda Freitag.

Honestly, yeah, I'd almost rather they mention Darnell than do Amanda dirty like this.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
THE HATE CRIME APOLOGIST HAS LOGGED ON
My bracket has Shota making a deep run but I think Jet will win West. For east I went dark horse with Nini.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

underdog Tobias takes the East

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
Uhhhhhh I have an ep where Simon and Justin break down the bracket.....are you all watching the matches?

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

bunnyofdoom posted:

Uhhhhhh I have an ep where Simon and Justin break down the bracket.....are you all watching the matches?

The live episode is the first three (?) or four matches, just having finished the first battle and in the middle of the second.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

3 DONG HORSE posted:

The live episode is the first three (?) or four matches, just having finished the first battle and in the middle of the second.

Up here in Canada they just gave the Champs their rings. So I am going til 11pm. Just in time for Last Week Tonight.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

bunnyofdoom posted:

Up here in Canada they just gave the Champs their rings. So I am going til 11pm. Just in time for Last Week Tonight.

Oh it's after that. You're on target!

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
I consider Malarky losing by only 2 points is a victory for him

Wiggly
Aug 26, 2000

Number one on the ice, number one in my heart
Fun Shoe

Stupid Decisions posted:

Great British Menu is back on tonight. BBC2 at 8pm (UK).

If you haven't seen before it's some of the top UK chefs competing to prepare dishes for a banquet.

Good lord these seasons are looong. Has anyone watched the older seasons and are they worth it?

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Someone should make a bracket of all of the nicknames Guy Fieri gives to the TOC, he’s very Bush-ian in that respect

Martini Nini made me giggle a bit

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Wiggly posted:

Good lord these seasons are looong. Has anyone watched the older seasons and are they worth it?

Masterchef UK was another one with tons of episodes. Like 40 episodes per season since it was a daily show.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

ToC5 Tobias!!!!!!!!!! :3:

oh poo poo Amanda vs Darnell. no preview spot or chats or anything though. Sucks for Amanda. Also this is flowing very weird because they are doing their best not to show any Darnell.

3 DONG HORSE fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Feb 26, 2024

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
Holy poo poo we just got to Darnell and AF. This is such a crazy edit

Melomane Mallet
Oct 11, 2012

Congrats to Kevin Lee for being the first 8/1 upset.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

Melomane Mallet posted:

Congrats to Kevin Lee for being the first 8/1 upset.

I didn't expect that and I'm extremely stoked for him!

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
Considering Brooke has made the finals every single TOC she has been in, can we call this the biggest upset so far in TOC history?

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

My mom went to Maneet’s restaurant last week in Nashville and she was there filming a commercial so my mom got a picture and to talk for a minute. The belt is apparently hanging on the wall, and Maneet has nightmares about the randomizer

I now can see why

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

ToC5: Tobias did it! Also, Kevin Lee :aaaaa:

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Blown away that Next Level Chef got a third season. People. There's so many better worlds out there. Egad.

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010

CatstropheWaitress posted:

Blown away that Next Level Chef got a third season. People. There's so many better worlds out there. Egad.

Maybe science will advance far enough, someday, to explain what the appeal of the show is.

Melomane Mallet
Oct 11, 2012

3 DONG HORSE posted:

ToC5: Tobias did it! Also, Kevin Lee :aaaaa:

Super late at this point, but I was super worried for both of them with Kevin accidentally knocking his squash dish on the floor and Tobias' anxiety attack, I thought neither would win, but they both pulled it off!

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Top Chef Cheese and Alcoholism Edition starts in 10 minutes

I actually went to one of the contestants’ restaurants when I was in Milwaukee last weekend. DanDan, really good American-style Asian food made by two guys named Dan.

edit: first episode thoughts: Kristin is pretty great as host. You can see how excited she is, it’s very infectious. The cast all seem pretty confident and nice, no standouts one way or the other so I’ll cheer based on proximity to Chicago. Also for Valentine because the idea of him making some Italian/Caribbean fusion sounds incredibly dope. (Insert Rasta Pasta joke here)

honestly the guy who went home was already the most abrasive one, although it was more that he just has a big personality than him being genuinely obnoxious. I still felt bad when he packed his knife because he’s right, it does suck to be first to lose.

DC Murderverse fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Mar 21, 2024

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010

DC Murderverse posted:

0/10, not one contestant asked how the chefs were doing, how their parents are, or asked "d'jeet?". Their Midwest game is weak.

More seriously, I wasn't sure about the format for the challenge this time. I thought it made the episode not hang together as well. But the chef who I wanted to go home went home so, that's not too bad.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

ToC5

Jet hangs on by the skin of his teeth, Murphy loses as expected (I love him but he doesn't seem to have that killer instinct), Mei utterly dominated, and happy to see Amanda advance!

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

I know it's paid sponsorship, but legit like that Top Chef buys ingredients at Whole Foods. Makes it seem like bits of the dishes are obtainable, granted they are spending $200 on each dish.

also, lol that that guy made them a $200 single ravioli with sauce plops.

CatstropheWaitress fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Mar 25, 2024

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

3 DONG HORSE posted:

ToC5

Jet hangs on by the skin of his teeth, Murphy loses as expected (I love him but he doesn't seem to have that killer instinct), Mei utterly dominated, and happy to see Amanda advance!

So, each round Looks like we are losing one past champion. Who will fall next time? Mei or Mauneet?

Melomane Mallet
Oct 11, 2012

bunnyofdoom posted:

So, each round Looks like we are losing one past champion. Who will fall next time? Mei or Mauneet?

Hard to say!
Tobias v. Maneet: Don't know; she has more wins in ToC than anyone, but Tobias always brings it.
Amanda v. Britt: ...I have no idea. Amanda is a seasoned competitor, but Britt has proved she can do battle with the best.
Antonia v. Kevin : Antonia *wants* this, but Kevin has so *much* to prove.
Mei v. Jet: REMATCH: Again, no idea. They're both gonna be going all out.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

Wildcard Kitchen is stupid as hell and I'm here for it

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

DC Murderverse posted:

I actually went to one of the contestants’ restaurants when I was in Milwaukee last weekend. DanDan, really good American-style Asian food made by two guys named Dan.

edit: first episode thoughts: Kristin is pretty great as host. You can see how excited she is, it’s very infectious. The cast all seem pretty confident and nice, no standouts one way or the other so I’ll cheer based on proximity to Chicago. Also for Valentine because the idea of him making some Italian/Caribbean fusion sounds incredibly dope. (Insert Rasta Pasta joke here)

honestly the guy who went home was already the most abrasive one, although it was more that he just has a big personality than him being genuinely obnoxious. I still felt bad when he packed his knife because he’s right, it does suck to be first to lose.

Finally saw the first episode of the new Top Chef. Agree with all of this. Kristin rules.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

I like to imagine he packed a different loud hat for every day and was just really bummed he would only get to showcase the one.