Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Paula Deen?
Paula Deen
Paula Deen
View Results

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Right? Cheese isn't an abstract an ingredient! Was downright bizarre to see everyone decide to do the same thing and then half of them stumble to make cheese the highlight of the bite.

For a few other seasons they've done "here's how you cook this winning dish", but the format and name kept changing. Seems like for this season they're calling it "Top Chef: The Dish With Kish" and it's Kristen and a Top Chef Alum just cooking something related to the episode. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_I-7s1wnWo4 Was a little more interesting when they did the straight winners dish, as it's a lot of fun seeing what actually went into it (lots and lots of butter).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

I feel like I could've come up with a better dish than most of them and I just a dumb ol' amateur.

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010

CatstropheWaitress posted:

For a few other seasons they've done "here's how you cook this winning dish", but the format and name kept changing. Seems like for this season they're calling it "Top Chef: The Dish With Kish" and it's Kristen and a Top Chef Alum just cooking something related to the episode. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_I-7s1wnWo4 Was a little more interesting when they did the straight winners dish, as it's a lot of fun seeing what actually went into it (lots and lots of butter).

D'awww... little Marcel grew up into an adult!

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

Rewatching Master Chef All Stars and my butt still clenches when Alejandro picks up the steaks he dropped and try to grill them again. So bad, such cringe.

3 DONG HORSE fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Apr 6, 2024

amaguri
Mar 27, 2010
I'm really digging Kristen as host of Top Chef... I wonder what sort of coaching (if any?) they subjected her to because her on-screen persona has been growing pretty steadily throughout her career. She was always fine but she was soooo mellow-- almost sleepy-- on, say, Fast Foodies and got better on Restaurants at the End of the World and here she's just great.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
THE HATE CRIME APOLOGIST HAS LOGGED ON
To be fair she was pretty good on the Netflix Iron Chef.

As for sleepy on Fast Foodies, that's because she(and everyone) was high as balls

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

Almost forgot about the ToC5 finale!

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

ToC5 OMFG JET NOOOOOOOOOOO

but I am happy for Antonia and hope she gets it

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

Britt chugging the rest of the beer after she poured it into the pan "I had to make sure it was a good" :laffo:

Melomane Mallet
Oct 11, 2012

I'm bad; I'm just not born that way.

3 DONG HORSE posted:

ToC5 OMFG JET NOOOOOOOOOOO

but I am happy for Antonia and hope she gets it

I wanted Jet to win *so* bad, but if it comes down to Antiona v. Maneet, I'm rooiing for Antonia. I have *ZERO* angainst Maneet (I LUF her chef outfits), but ToC does not need a 2 time champ, imo.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

Melomane Mallet posted:

I wanted Jet to win *so* bad, but if it comes down to Antiona v. Maneet, I'm rooiing for Antonia. I have *ZERO* angainst Maneet (I LUF her chef outfits), but ToC does not need a 2 time champ, imo.

agreed 100%

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I think Maneet has "Interactive" in spades but I really like Britt's dish. Sounds super tasty.

Melomane Mallet
Oct 11, 2012

I'm bad; I'm just not born that way.

3 DONG HORSE posted:

I think Maneet has "Interactive" in spades but I really like Britt's dish. Sounds super tasty.

WHELP. Grats Maneet.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
Finally watched TOCV (Working midnight shifts suuuuuuck).

I think The results are such a strong argument for blind judging in cooking competitions. Like the results every round seem to have POC and Women winning more and more and it's wonderful

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

CatstropheWaitress posted:

Right? Cheese isn't an abstract an ingredient! Was downright bizarre to see everyone decide to do the same thing and then half of them stumble to make cheese the highlight of the bite.

That's the first time I've seen Marcel since season 2, almost 20 years ago. I still vividly remember him getting body slammed by that giant dude, and then Tom kicking the giant dude off the show. I just looked it up, on Peacock, S2E11.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

ToC5: was really pulling for Antonia at the end but it’s hard to deny Maneet’s ability. Very incredible that 5 years in we haven’t seen a male finalist yet.

Other notes:
*poor jet; it’s hard to cheer against him but man he’s had some rough Final Four luck
*Eric Ripert rules, you assume a 3 Michelin star French chef is gonna be the snootiest of the snooty but you see why Bourdain was such good friends with him, he’s very funny
*I felt bad laughing at the end but after Antonia leaves the arena and is having her sad moment in the hallway you can see in the very top right of the screen Hunter Fieri walk into the frame, see what’s going on, and then turn right around and leave while trying to bring as little attention to himself as possible

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

bunnyofdoom posted:

Finally watched TOCV (Working midnight shifts suuuuuuck).

I think The results are such a strong argument for blind judging in cooking competitions. Like the results every round seem to have POC and Women winning more and more and it's wonderful
This is why I watched The Taste while it was on. The judges just could not stop making dumb stereotypical assumptions about who cooked what, and putting their feet in their mouths when it turned out the small Vietnamese lady made a bold steak and the big American dude made an elegant salad

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

Melomane Mallet posted:

that's 100% where i was going into the last cook

also, i may have transferred all my more-or-less exercised revulsion of Guy onto his kid and his gormless face and nepo-babiness.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
Top Chef

nice on team power bottom

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

RIP Chicago girls

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

You're entering a realm which is unusual. Maybe it's magic, or contains some kind of monster... The second one. Prepare to enter The Scary Door.
Nap Ghost
Catching up on ToC V, and Google decided I needed this heating mixer:
https://www.mixaco.com/en/industrial-mixers/heating-cooling-mixer/#highlights

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

processing 8,000 kg per hour is a bargain at any price! im gonna check in with my landlord to see if he'll build an addition to accommodate that...thing

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

idk where else to post this but it seems like david chang is getting flamed for trying to trademark chili crunch/chili crisp and sending C&Ds to other companies selling their own versions lol.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

Borsche69 posted:

idk where else to post this but it seems like david chang is getting flamed for trying to trademark chili crunch/chili crisp and sending C&Ds to other companies selling their own versions lol.

laoganma grandma looks on in disgust

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time

Borsche69 posted:

well it looks like he's specifically going after people using the specific terms "chili crunch" and "chile crunch" which, while stupid and clearly not something that's reflecting on him well, is less insane than him going after people who are making the condiment, flat out

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

"The Dish w/ Kish" Top Chef after show has a hilarious guest: A 'Saratoga Water Ambassador'. He's like an improv character - when everyone is enjoying the meal cooked, he starts going in on how great Saratoga water it is at room temperature. The shilling is a little heavy handed.

postmodifier
Nov 24, 2004

The LIQUOR BOTTLES are out in full force.
MOM is surely nearby.
eater did a piece on it last week: https://www.eater.com/24122387/momofuku-chili-crunch-chile-crisp-trademark-controversy

in short, as in every other case exactly like this one, if they don't actively send cease and desist letters or sue non-compliant brands in order to defend the trademark, they lose it

david chang is not sitting at his desk at home drafting these letters by hand to destroy small businesses, it's just his business team doing their job

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Riptor posted:

well it looks like he's specifically going after people using the specific terms "chili crunch" and "chile crunch" which, while stupid and clearly not something that's reflecting on him well, is less insane than him going after people who are making the condiment, flat out

I kind of get where he's coming from because one of the competing brands specifically changed their product name to Chili Crunch after the popularity of the Monofuku stuff.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time
Yeah, it definitely seems like something he's entirely with his rights to do. I just think that tactically it's not the smartest hill to die on

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

a fantastic machine made of meat
It feels like Heinz going “gently caress y’all we’re ketchup the rest of y’all are catsup”

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

This got sohla to publicly state that momofuku was the single worst place she had ever worked.

Chang does not deserve any benefit, he was not the first to use it, it's a descriptive name. He's just using his disproportionate resources to bury the majority of others, who had a product before he did, to capture the market via courts. Guy is a total tosser who had an opportunity to be great but is just that awful nobody actually wants to work with him.

By all accounts it's sweet garbage too.

Submarine Sandpaper fucked around with this message at 13:27 on Apr 12, 2024

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

I've only ever had Lao Gan Ma but now I want to try that Malaysian one. This kind of thing guarantees I'd never spend money on the Momofuku version.

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

a fantastic machine made of meat
i will use every opportunity to say do NOT sleep on S&B Crunchy Garlic w/ Chili Oil, which is exactly what it says on the tin: far, far more garlic forward than most with just a little bit of chili oil to help all those crunchy slivered garlic bits stir and spread. if there are people in your life who don't like a lot of spice but love anything savory and garlicky this is your window into getting them on board with chili oils in general.

esperantinc
May 5, 2003

JERRY! HELLO!

I can dig spice but I like garlic more so that sounds like it'd be right up my alley. Gonna go find some.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

They're stopping with the C&Ds apparently, as of yesterday.

esperantinc
May 5, 2003

JERRY! HELLO!

Nikumatic posted:

i will use every opportunity to say do NOT sleep on S&B Crunchy Garlic w/ Chili Oil, which is exactly what it says on the tin: far, far more garlic forward than most with just a little bit of chili oil to help all those crunchy slivered garlic bits stir and spread. if there are people in your life who don't like a lot of spice but love anything savory and garlicky this is your window into getting them on board with chili oils in general.

I grabbed a couple of jars of this and went through one in like two days. A++ would recommend to anyone and everyone.

Last Chance Kitchen:

Hell yeah Soo go win the whole loving thing

Screaming_Gremlin
Dec 26, 2005

Look at him. Dude's a stone-cold badass.
I feel like we have been spoiled by the All-Star season, followed by two seasons that had better than average chefs due to pandemic effects, and then World All-Stars. Seems like most of the participants this year are not putting out very good food based on the comments from the judges. Still entertaining although, and I am loving Kristen as the host.

esperantinc
May 5, 2003

JERRY! HELLO!

Yeah usually by now (the false top 10) there are a handful of standouts, and this year...meh. Rasika's put out some good looking stuff at least. Wisconsin also isn't the most inspiring location. I'm with ya on Kristen being great in the host spot.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

esperantinc posted:

Wisconsin also isn't the most inspiring location.

Wisconsin is great. I don't think it's very adaptable for a show like this though, particularly when they're going to pass over all the local brewers in favor of Miller High Light.

I'm still finding it hilarious they based an episode around Frank Lloyd Wright and had them "find inspiration" in what's effectively a hallway of Monona Terrace, famously a building he didn't live to see get built, was changed from his initial plans, and an interior that wasn't designed by Wright.

The real Wisconsin inspiration should have them visiting supper club's and dive bars. Go to a Badger or Green Bay game. Hang out with some hunters in a cabin up north cooking deer freshly hunted, etc. etc.

Oh also you get Willem Dafoe to show up, Appleton's finest.

edit: lol, should have watched the latest episode before posting. That was actually a pretty nice showcase, Harvey House and L'Etoile are solid and nice restaurants in Madison. I would quibble that the real Supper Club's are located ten miles out of town on county roads, remnants of once populous alcoholic veteran associations, but hey, it's a nice local place.

One disconnect that seems stark is how dishonest all the contestant's reactions are to everything. I love a fish fry. I am not ooing and ahhing at a plate of fried fish and french fries. I get why they're doing it, but comon'. It's fried fish and french fries.

CatstropheWaitress fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Apr 21, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mob
May 7, 2002

Me reading your posts

There's a new show to take the Sunday night spot of Tournament of Champions called 24 in 24. 24 chefs doing 24 challenges in 24 straight hours. There's a handful of names in there if you watch competition shows. It's perfectly acceptable television, episode 2 is on right now so I'll prob watch it after rasslin.