Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Paula Deen?
Paula Deen
Paula Deen
View Results

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat
Is the thread to ask about GBBO cookbooks? I grabbed Ruby's Crumb, Chetna's The Cardamom Trail and Mary Berry's Baking Bible from Amazon today but holy gently caress it looks like finalists start cranking out books the second they leave the tent. Has anyone else tried any of them? Are Paul's books as douchey as he is? (Do we still care about spoiling S3?)

PERMACAV 50 fucked around with this message at 09:02 on May 29, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat
:siren: The new (for us yanks) season of Great British Bake off started airing on PBS today :siren:

Selasi is the early favorite for me, from his intro alone. Any bets on how many more episodes Val lasts? I'm getting tired of her "daffy grandma" routine already.

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat

tribbledirigible posted:

What show is this? This is not something I would consider a negative trait for a host of a reality show/contest. This is sounding like a milder version of Takeshi's Castle's Kitchen.

Cutthroat Kitchen. Also my mom uses Alton's brined turkey recipe for Thanksgiving every year and it is the best.

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat

Cavenagh posted:

I know I watched it. It moved very quickly to being background. Yes, fire plus meat equals good. So, tell us more! But the program seemed to be more about him having lots of Patagonian sex and not really caring about the subsequent children. I was interested, cause I kept seeing his book exulted, interest disappeared and the scenery was pretty wall paper.

My main memory of it is watching it with my ex and some talking head prattling on about how much Mallmann loves the Maillard reaction over footage of him throwing bread directly in a fire or something and my ex saying "... that's not a Maillard reaction. He just loving burns things."

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat

Brandon Proust posted:

I loved the book, but i've found the first episode of the show incredibly underwhelming

The first episode is the weakest imo. The second episode is Salt and is about Japanese people taking artisanal soy sauce and sea salt entirely too seriously.

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat
Anybody else watch The Final Table? I was digging it and then it had to end on a big ole "this industry relies on impoverishing its own labor and we think that's just fine" note. Or maybe I just read too much into it.

edit- also I cannot loving beLIEVE the UK got an episode over China or anywhere in the Middle East

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat

Anne Whateley posted:

That's why people watch Great British Bakeoff imo. I personally don't find it very engaging.

The Final Table, new on Netflix, is pretty chill. I mean people want to win, but they all respect the other competitors, and because they come in in teams, there's a lot of positive "I love him so much, he's just amazing, his skill at x is incredible." No fights iirc.

I think I mentioned it itt already but the other thing I liked about it is all the chefs know what they’re doing so you don’t have to watch them hand in a dish already knowing it’s trash, which is something that always bums me out with shows like Chopped and Sweet Genius.

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat
I have the ATK cookie book and while the cookies do come out amazing, they are extremely finicky with the amounts and directions (like, 272g flour, half a stick of butter plus a teaspoon, one large egg plus a yolk, only bake during a weekend full moon) and the fact that none of the recipes make more than two dozen cookies makes them kind of not worth all the effort. I can google up a recipe for chocolate chip cookies just as good that doesn't require me to hand whisk the batter three separate times with 15 minute rests in between, and that easier recipe will yield goddamn near forty cookies.

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat
The owner of the Indian buffet I used to half live at told me one year he did his family’s bird tandoori style :eyepop:

(My mom uses Alton Brown’s brining recipe and it’s always amazing)

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat

The_Doctor posted:

The other good alumni from GBBO, other than Liam Charles. Nadiya was fantastic in her season.

I gotta stick my neck out for Ruby Tandoh whose recipes are all pretty foolproof and tasty, and who consistently turns out interesting articles like this one about cooking in care homes. Her glazed citrus loaf is one of my potluck/office party fallbacks and there's never a single piece left.

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat

Definitely the type of thing you get from the ice cream truck rather than the grocery store.

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat

The_Doctor posted:

Am fellow ice cream coward, it’s why I always have a cup rather than a cone when I get it.

I always got the strawberry-lime sorbet cup deelies from the ice cream truck. No sticky hands here!

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat
It's worth mentioning that they make mint drumsticks but do NOT make mint choco tacos.

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat
Bloop

https://twitter.com/haleaziz/status/1270134585859272705?s=21

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat

The Glumslinger posted:

I think it's a good thing that the forums search is so broken, because I know I posted some dumb poo poo when I was 18

I really need to go light a candle in thanksgiving for MySpace eating all pre-2012 profile information; I hadn’t touched mine since 2008 at least

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat
Priya’s out

https://twitter.com/priyakrishna/status/1291389217038360577?s=21

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat

The_Doctor posted:

Season 4 had Ruby and she was a particular highlight.

I’m just gonna poke my head in here and say her books Crumb and Flavour are loving great

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat
I have the ATK cookie book and my main beef with their recipes is that they’re insanely fiddly while also rarely producing more than like 18 cookies. For most of the recipes I could find one online that made twice as much of the same thing without requiring me to separate eggs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat
I checked out on GBBO when Matt Lucas replaced Sandy. He is the least funny creature alive and iirc that was the season where they really leaned into creating artificial difficulty by just plain not giving people enough time. It’s no fun to watch people make stuff that sucks and know that if they’d just had another hour it would have come out great.

Also I think they should get little liquid nitrogen dewars if they’re still expected to do Chocolate Week outdoors in increasing record-breaking heat.