Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Paula Deen?
Paula Deen
Paula Deen
View Results

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Rand alPaul posted:

:swoon::swoon:

Also the original Japanese Iron Chef episodes are a ton of fun to watch just for the ceremony and the ridiculous drama Morimoto evokes from traditionalist chefs.

Chen Kenichi in Battle Yogurt is still my favorite episode of that series.

That 'gently caress me' expression when the theme ingredient was revealed still makes me chuckle to this day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

I've been enjoying Chef and My Fridge on Netflix, and I usually have it on when I'm cooking or doing the dishes.

The 15-minute time limit and limitation of ingredients to whatever the guest has on hand make the dishes more relatable to me and I've actually tried making a couple of the dishes on the show. The chefs are also funny without being overbearing.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

I'm in the middle of watching Salt Fat Acid Heat and am enjoying it a lot. It's Ugly Delicious but if the host was more 'Julia Child' and less 'massive rear end in a top hat'.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Tired Moritz posted:

I just want a food competition show where the people aren't assholes, and it has to be low-stakes too. Masterchef AU is nice but I got tired of watching people come to tears every elimination round.

Yeah, gonna echo the recommendation for Chef and My Fridge. The competition is pretty much just for bragging rights, there's no elimination BS, and even the trashtalking is more funny and good-natured than anything else - mainly since the usual topic of ridicule is the state of the guests' fridges.

E: The Gordon Ramsay episode of Hot Ones is finally out, and it's a hoot.

anakha fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Jan 24, 2019

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

angor posted:

Anyone been watching The Chef Show on Netflix with Jon Favreau and Roy Choi? Definitely my favorite food show on at the moment. Love the way this show is put together.

Thanks for the recommendation. I love having this on while I'm meal prepping for the week.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

flashy_mcflash posted:

Should've been like "can't wait to get home and boil these ribs and eat them with ketchup" and he wouldn't have been able to help himself from tearing your throat out.

You guys were right about that Starburst video, it really bummed me out. What's some other cool YouTube food content that isn't Bon Appetit or Try Guys related?

Echoing the recommendations above, and also suggesting One Meal A Day for lazy cooks like myself.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

wormil posted:

I learned more from Michael Smith than anyone, wish his show had more seasons.

Chef at Home was my poo poo. Chill and relaxing show. Too bad there isn't a full archive of those episodes that I'm aware of - just a few YT vids.

anakha fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Aug 25, 2019

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Mu Zeta posted:

Never seen so many people whine about a stupid recipe since Italians on Youtube. You shouldn't be allowed to leave any comments on recipe pages unless you have video proof of yourself making it without subsitutions and tasting it first.

Facepalming so hard right now

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

flashy_mcflash posted:

also I have no practical use for it but I want one of those big potato machines.

I too aspire to have a backyard filled with devices that allow for mass cooking, with the centerpiece being one of those smokers big enough to require its own trailer.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Uncle Roger and Mikey Chen roasting Epicurious's recent dumpling video.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

The smoked duck fat was overkill.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Gorman Thomas posted:

Here's a pleasant channel I found this week of a nice person visiting(mostly) udon and soba noodle shops in Japan.

https://youtube.com/channel/UC0AVyhbJ1kGqVOfX-MEzrxA

Call me basic AF but I love chill videos like this and was relaxing to this channel before going to bed last night.

No voice commentary, just checking out how the meal is prepared and appreciating the meal itself. Easy subscription for me.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

I have discovered Waffles and Mochi on Netflix and it's surprisingly fun. Anybody with kids who were interested in helping out in the kitchen would probably love this.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Mu Zeta posted:

I dream of taking an Italian to try the spaghetti at Jollibees.

It's been done before.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

I blame the Fine Bros for this crap.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Can we just skip to the droll probe so that this rehash is over?

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

toplitzin posted:

I have his first cookbook. Would I buy another, probably. Would I buy his cookware, lol no.

If his knives are even within the ballpark in terms of quality compared to the goon-approved Victorinox knives, they might be worth the price, especially given that the latter aren't really $20 anymore.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

The_Doctor posted:

Oh, in a similar vein, I found DancingBacons on YouTube, a Japanese guy who also films GoPro style, trying various vending machines and restaurants around Asia. He’s silent, so it’s just ambient noise and subtitles about the food or ordering process. It’s super relaxing to watch, and kind of helpful if you’re planning a trip to Japan.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_vtlFgNnVAI

I've been binging a lot of Japanese travel and food YT channels the past couple of years, and I appreciate the silent approach most of them take. It's really relaxing and a great way to decompress before going to bed.

On a related note, I am now obsessed with tiny Japanese campers and converted camper vans and want to import/build one lol.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Yeah, Josh's food nerd really came out in that vid.

I know of Filipinos who haven't heard of or tried papaitan but of course Josh's familiar with it.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

anakha posted:

Chen Kenichi in Battle Yogurt is still my favorite episode of that series.

That 'gently caress me' expression when the theme ingredient was revealed still makes me chuckle to this day.

Quoting myself from 7 years ago in memory of that iconic episode after learning of Chen passing away.

https://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2023/03/15/national/kenichi-chin-dies-67/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Battered fries sold in fried chicken places are goated.