Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Paula Deen?
Paula Deen
Paula Deen
View Results

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Apparently none of you are from the Bay Area or you would be aware of the superior ice cream confection

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

Thread favorite/nemesis Babish did an ice cream sandwich video a little while back, apparently the trick isn't to make actual cookies, but instead essentially make cakes that look like cookies because they stay soft when they're frozen. If you tried to eat one of those "cookies" after it's thawed it would pretty much just fall apart.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

Looks like Sohla's got a new gig: https://deadline.com/2020/09/sohla-...ish-1234582670/

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

hey that was a lot of fun! Looking forward to the next Basics With Babish: Firepit Repair

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

Man, what a bad place to end the podcast too, literally right before it gets to the part where the modern Test Kitchen as we know it officially began. My guess is that episode 3 would have been all the shady poo poo that happened before summer 2020, and it would have ended with the Rapaport photo coming to light and Sohla's various revelations. Episode 4 would probably have been the fallout from all of that until present day.

Ah well. Feels like making a docu-series about WWII and canceling it on December 6, 1941.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

Mob posted:

The best strat was to get on an episode where two of the other three chefs let their ego get them into a rivalry before the game starts, spend nothing and try to coast through round 1 while they sabotage each other, then go wild in rounds 2 and 3 and walk out of there with like $3K

This strategy could be especially effective if you were a woman chef -- All the male chefs A) wildly underestimate you and B) do the exact wrong thing even with that assumption and claw at each other. Even if they were sexist dickheads for point A the smart path there would be to team up and pile sabotages on you, because as the other poster said, the goal isn't to win, it's to not lose, and it was mind-blowing how almost nobody on that goddamn show figured that out.

Like, it's almost to the point where I would not surprised if some producers intervened and made sure the sabotages were spread out, because any goddamn moron would figure out the optimal way to play.

Also yeah, a lot of the sabotages were pretty boring to watch -- I remember there was one where they weren't allowed to taste their food, which tbh is probably a huge disadvantage for a professional chef but it just doesn't make for great TV.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

Been watching Cutthroat Kitchen on Hulu. It's absolutely insane how many chefs say out loud to the camera some variation of "Chef so-and-so is my biggest competitor, so I'm gonna make sure they get a sabotage" or "Chef so-and-so is the only one without a sabotage so I'm gonna make sure they get one too" -- it isn't about winning, you morons! All you have to do is *not* get eliminated each round, so the blatantly obvious strategy is to pile on sabotages to whoever's weakest, or better yet, who already has a sabotage. It's to the point where I'm pretty sure there's some producer interference to spread around the sabotages as much as they can, because any moron could figure out how to play the game better than these jackasses. :psyduck:

Also really wish that instead of letting the chef mug for entire credits sequence, they told the judges what the various sabotages were after the fact and saw their reactions. I don't give a poo poo about these chefs I'm never gonna see again, I'd rather see Giada de Laurentiis find out the s'mores she loves so much were made out of Lucky Charms marshmallows or whatever.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

Yeah especially the male chefs, I've noticed. If you're a woman on that show you could probably coast through the first couple rounds by just staying completely silent and letting the boys sabotage the poo poo out of each other, because not only are they assholes, they're also dumbfucks who are stupid enough to sabotage each other rather than you even if they think you're the weakest one.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

Even without the milky surprise this looks vile -- who tf wants to eat chicken that looks like it's been covered in Pepto-Bismol

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

Feisty-Cadaver posted:

God tuna chat reminded me of an old boss who for lunch would heat up uncle ben’s instant rice + a can of tuna in the work microwave. Every day. The kitchen would smell like death for hours afterwards

I want to stab your boss

EDIT: it's incredible how many people think *their* fish is the ok one because they're always wrong. No fish at work, ever, no exceptions

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

Harrow posted:

I'm finding the technical challenges (tacos aside) better this season than other recent seasons. There's still time for them to go off the rails but "make this thing you definitely know about with minimal instruction" is much more fun for me to watch than "make this thing you've definitely never seen or heard of before."

Agreed, the technical challenges often seem way too unfair and it gets annoying as hell when Paul and Pru are all "Well a proper gently caress-du-Horseé is four inches tall rather than the three inches you have here, so you get zero marks." Like, gently caress off, even you guys couldn't make a pastry you've never heard of without even an oven temperature.

At the very least they should show them a picture of the end result or something. Right now it feels like whoever's wild guess is correct wins, or the off-chance that someone actually has heard of the pastry in question, rather than actually testing their knowledge of baking fundamentals.

I remember in an earlier season the technical was something that a contestant had literally just made in that episode's signature challenge though, which was pretty funny.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

Still lol at the fact that Reply All's much-hyped four-episode BA expose not only forced its creators to resign in disgrace two episodes in, it also ultimately resulted in the demise of Reply All itself

e: Case of the Missing Hit is probably my favorite podcast episode of all time though, I've probably relistened to it like five times now

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

Leraika posted:

the thing I like about cutthroat kitchen is when people actually do really clever things and get rewarded for it, or when alton talks about the clever things someone isn't doing

My all time favorite Cutthroat Kitchen moment was when one chef realized about 2/3rds of the way through making brisket and gravy that Alton had actually asked for biscuits and gravy, and he still made it past the round because one of his competitors put fishing tackle on his plate as a garnish and the judge got pissed as hell about how dangerous that was

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

Rescue Toaster posted:

Taking recommendations on meatball recipes.

Been doing this one for the past decade: https://www.rachaelrayshow.com/recipe/13553_The_Meatball_Shop_Classic_Beef_Meatballs

Recommend swapping out half the beef for pork and/or veal and adding a bunch of fresh-grated parm as well (but cut back on the salt to compensate)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

Mob posted:

Cutthroat Kitchen had a good strategy, which was be on the show with two chefs who hated each other and do nothing in round 1 while they were extra spiteful, then go hard the rest of the game and walk out with like $3000

I've bitched about it ITT before but every single person to ever walk into Cutthroat Kitchen was the biggest dumbass on earth who didn't read the rules. They all said some variant of "Chef X is my biggest competitor so I'd better make sure I send them a challenge" when the point of the loving game isn't to win, it's not not lose the round you loving moron aaaaaaa :byodood:

I'm 100% convinced they were told by production to spread the sabotages around so you get a more even show instead of piling everything on one person like they should.