Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Paula Deen?
Paula Deen
Paula Deen
View Results

curufinor
Apr 4, 2016

by Smythe
my dad is singularly obsessed rn with this japanese eating show named kodoku no gourmet
http://wiki.d-addicts.com/Kodoku_no_Gurume
it's about this guy who travels and eats poo poo in japan
the episodes have one format and one format only:
1. he does some desultory business poo poo for like 2 minutes
2. fucks off
3. eats food, delicious food
like, actually eats it, the actor guy
if it's a second take, he eats some more
even see swallowing
guy's a pro

so my dad calls it a mukbang, which is not inaccurate, tbh

also, despite it being about food in real restaurants, literally every single person, the server, the other customers, the people he does business with, is a paid-up union actor, so no stupid food show bullshit. every word of the business pablum and the server's talking is scripted. but they could cheap the gently caress out on main characters, since it's.... the one guy.
it's him eating, completely alone, in peace
also loving weird-rear end internal monologue
also god-tier facial expressions

according to my dad, translated:
"hmm, if they aired this in the US, it would be pretty popular"
mom in the same chatroom:
"they already have this poo poo in the us"
dad:
"hmm.... no they dont"
"guy smokes too much for a pg rating tho"

lol watching the pork foot episode and he burns the pork foot in the yakiniku style dealio
much cinema verite

now that I'm being forced to watch, now there's like a normal-cooking show portion which shows the degree to which normal go-travelling-around food shows suck, cuz they aren't composed of someone just... eating... alone...

curufinor fucked around with this message at 11:29 on Jun 2, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

curufinor
Apr 4, 2016

by Smythe
ok, "obsessed" is a little too weak a word
"has apparently been watching every single night for the last... 3 years"
there isn't even that many episodes of the lonely gourmet, he's just been repeating them over and over
the last time dad got this bad was when he watched "as good as it gets" 200 times in a row