Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Paula Deen?
Paula Deen
Paula Deen
View Results

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Crusty Nutsack posted:

Fist pumping with the bag of frozen fries is the best

That was funny, but goddamn those are some pale-rear end fries.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

That loving blows.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

The_Doctor posted:

Oh my god, the New Years Eve episode of Nailed It. I was crying.

That fuckin show reminds me of a real-life Clash of the Cupcakes from Master of None. It's so bad, yet I can't look away.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

nmfree posted:

No, Brad is a great Brad. If you're not watching It's Alive! you're missing out.

Sucks about Vin though. Was he doing the editing on that series or was it someone else? The editing is really what makes that series shine.

Oh noooo, not my Vincenzo!! You never see his face but he's almost as much of a character presence as Brad himself.

The editing is really what makes that series shine. "Wourder."

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Grem posted:

Al Roker was on Back to Back Chef on Bon Appetit's channel and it's pretty great.

How does Bon Appetit not have it's own TV channel yet?

Al did awesome and was actually really funny. Best performance yet on that series.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

I'm actually loving the longer BA videos and since pizza's like my favorite food on the planet, I was enamored with every episode of that series.

I personally find Priya rather boring, and the whole "calls her parents in like every video" shtick is kind of annoying.

Bon Appetit tier list:

1) Chris Morocco (he can be a little dry but I think he's got the most thoughtful and sound approach toward food and cooking)
2) Brad
2a) Claire
4) Gaby
5) Amiel (he's fuckin hilarious)
6) Carla
7) Andy
8) Molly
9) Priya

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Chef Bourgeoisie posted:

I don't see Rick on this list :colbert:

He's fine, but doesn't reach the minimum plate appearances threshold to be on the list.

I know Gaby only has few solo videos as well, but she's been in a ton of them in the background and is a well-known BA personality.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Grem posted:

Ok Claire making Starbursts made me feel legitimately bad for her. I wouldn't be surprised if she quits again soon, she sounded absolutely miserable.

Honestly I'm getting tired of the gourmet makes, because they basically devolve into her getting frustrated and going "gently caress it, this is what you get" without coming to a fully realized product at the end. Why bother with the series if you're not gonna go full boat?

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

I am convinced that Claire is madly in love with Brad and he knows about it but chooses to ignore it as he's married with a kid and doesn't feel the same way.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Not that anyone aside from youtube weirdos actually recreate these gourmet makes, but lol @ "Drill holes into the top of a salad spinner" as being one of the steps.

The M&Ms looked like poo poo when she was done, too. I think she's run out of fucks.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Priya doesn't like egg yolk and doesn't even loving pinch grip her knife, what the hell is she doing on that show get her the hell off my youtubes I hate her

Replace her entirely with Sohla who rules

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Shadowhand00 posted:

Speaking of Claire, I watched a video of Claire from 3 years ago and the difference is pretty stark.

Different in what regard?

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Stelio Kontos posted:

Man, BA really found a winner in Sohla. She gives off great vibes and has all the skills and knowledge to back up how nonchalant she is about everything.

My favorite part about Sohla (aside from her cool-as-a-cucumber personality) is that since she worshiped at the Church of Kenji while she was at Serious Eats, she's able to knowledge drop to dispel dumb cooking myths all the time which is much appreciated.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Democratic Pirate posted:

The way he says “Bahn” Appetite while everyone else says Bone Apple Tea bugs me.

Amiel does this in the beginning of his videos too but I give him a pass because Amiel fuckin' rules.

I think the contempt they have for Rapaport is real since he seems like a really slimy executive-type who thinks he knows everything about cooking (watch the "broccoli bolognese" video with him and Molly, who he has probably tried to sleep with) but doesn't know poo poo. I can't stand the dude, and I don't even work there.

Anyone else watching Just a Dash with Matty Matheson? It's some pretty abstract stuff, as far as cooking goes (especially the recent Shepherd's Pie one), and really showcases what a weirdo Matty is. His food doesn't even necessarily look all that great, but I still find it great fun to watch.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

dino. posted:

Agreed, but I do enjoy watching Delaney putter around different cities and try ______ in various local shops, and assign ratings to them. He's generally positive overall, even if the thing isn't quite his cup of tea.

I was mixed on Delaney when I first got into BA videos but he really is just an overwhelmingly positive guy. Nothing bad to say about him, and the faux nemesis thing with Brad is great.

I definitely prefer when he tries a variety of the same foodstuff at different locations to when he goes through the entire menu at a single place, though.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Fartington Butts posted:

The back to back chef with Andrew Rea and Molly is fuckin’ hilarious. It’s almost a parody of it. They also mention it’s a “April 1st episode” so that explains the change ups.

I’d link it, but I’m phonepostin’. I hope they’ll continue posting some other host changes.

I love Babish but his personality always seems so forced/awkward when he's in the BA test kitchen. I don't know if it's because he's nervous, or what, but I much prefer him on his own show(s).

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

droll posted:

Y'all getting triggered is funnier than his doucebag tatts

lmao got em, right?????

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

I hate to break it to everyone but in Sohla's spice cabinet, the jar labeled "weed" is actually "dill weed"...at about 3:03 into the video you can see there's an "L" on the label prior to the word "weed".

Now don't get me wrong, I would be somewhat shocked if she didn't smoke, but these aren't the droids you're looking for.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

I think Babish owns, on his own show. His guest spots on other channels (BA, ATK with Dan Souza, etc) are less successful as I feel like he tries too hard rather than being his genuine self.

Whatever you think of him, dude is rolling. His channel gets a shitload of views, he just bought a house, bought his brother a Tesla, seems like a genuinely nice guy and is shacking up with a cutie, so good for him.

The Midniter fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Apr 10, 2020

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

exquisite tea posted:

I like almost all the popular youtube food personalities except Adam Ragusea, who is just irritating with his "why I season MY FLOOR NOT MY FOOD" schtick. I just wanted to complain somewhere because he's so goddamn annoying!

I'm with you. My wife and I got interested in his videos a while back, but as time goes on he is really starting to grate on me with his "I don't take the extra two minute step to do X even though it would result in a superior product" attitude just for the sake of saving a little bit of time.

His most interesting pieces are his food/social journalism pieces, which makes sense since that's his wheelhouse and he has a lot of academics from his time at Mercer to lean on.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Harrow posted:

What about Chef John? Is he still cool? :ohdear:

Chef John is still extremely cool.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

The Glumslinger posted:

I still want to see what kind of magic she was trying to turn brownies into licorice

I'll bet it came out amazing but because she's by far her own toughest critic, she probably nixed the idea.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

The past few weeks my wife and I have been watching a lot of Hellthy Junk Food. They're an Orlando-based couple who rank fast food, make DIY giant versions of said fast food, occasionally travel internationally to see what fast food looks like in other countries, and do other assorted dumb challenges.

Neither of them are culinary experts, but they have a really cute relationship and really seem to enjoy each other's company. JP is a Korean who was adopted and raised by an Italian family, which makes it extra hilarious in that he simply cannot handle spicy food and starts sweating immediately. Julia is a JAP who can handle way spicier food and revels in torturing JP. She also has a better grasp of overall culinary technique, though neither of them will be on Top Chef any time soon.

They're weird (especially JP), and funny, and it's easy to binge watch their short videos (5-15 minutes each). They also have a separate channel, JP & Julia, which focuses mostly on their international non-fast food culinary escapades. They usually hire locals to bring them on food tours which is very smart, I must say. They also get recognized (particularly in Asian countries) surprisingly frequently!

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Casu Marzu posted:

edit: also what is it with white ppl always saying kimchi making is intimidating? It's stanky cabbage, not some spooky asian ritual.

MyStErIeS oF tHe OrIeNt!!!!!

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

I watched the Stump Sohla episode yesterday, and it was...all right. Sohla's charm and skill are on full display, but I'm not entirely sold on the marriage of her tongue-in-cheek nerdy over-seriousness with Babish's slightly forced somewhat cringey self-deprecating persona. This was a first go so I have no doubt it'll get better but it was a little hard to watch, especially when they were interacting.

Yay Sohla though!! She deserves every bit of success she gets, and then some.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Another awesome thing about Chef John is that when he makes a recipe, the guy commits. The thumbnail may look awesome, but in the first minute of the video he might say something like "I made this recipe and it's actually really terrible!" then proceeds to show you how to make the same terrible food. Very endearing.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Democratic Pirate posted:

Taking Friday off with nowhere to go due to covid. Anyone have a favorite Chef John recipe? Planning on copying his cadence while cooking and driving my wife crazy.

I've used Chef John's video on deboning a whole turkey several times, which takes a while and will give you plenty of opportunities to drive your wife batty.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

I bought Claire's cookbook as an impromptu gift for my wife and we went through it last night. The recipes look really really good, and the photography is beautiful. She even includes a cool matrix at the beginning of the book that plots all the recipes via difficulty (which she grades 1-5) and total time. Obviously we haven't made anything from it yet, but highly recommended based off everything else alone.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Farideh Sadeghin has been doing more sponsored stuff on the Munchies channel and it's always just so lame compared to her normal stuff. She isn't really allowed to be her silly, crude self and while the videos are certainly more appealing to the mass market, they just seem so hollow to me.

I've been watching more and more of Matty Matheson, and the dude just cracks me up. His Homestyle Cookery videos are more or less straight-to-the-point cooking (or as straight-to-the-point as Matty can be), whereas his Just a Dash videos have been upping the surreal vibe. The food still looks good at the end but the journey there has been morphing into a philosophical shroom trip which is fun. The "Cincinatti Chili Demon" video was particularly weird.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

ShortyMR.CAT posted:

Followed Matty since Dead Set On Life on Viceland. The guy is just bonkers charismatic, an amazing chef taught French cuisine by an vietnamese immigrant and constantly makes mistakes and rolls with it.

The dip video is especially stupid/great because he says how stupid serving it in a pitcher is and asked everyone to send him pictures of them serving it in said stupid pitcher like glassware for lols.

It's also a real joy watching him eat everything he makes while it's nuclear-hot and burning his mouth every single time. Never gets old.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

GrandmaParty posted:

Watching Matty Matheson scream at and cough on his food is fun as hell. I'm never making any of his recipes.

Watching him make hot chicken and cole slaw was loads of fun but that cole slaw looked gloopy and terrible to me. Still a great watch.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

fizzymercy posted:

I'm gonna sound uneducated, but I don't understand what happened? The comments don't help someone that doesn't know the cultural background.

Mikey Chen (guy on the right) apparently criticized the Chinese government for its policies toward pro-democracy Hong Kong and treatment of Uighurs, and bootlicking "Uncle Roger" (guy on the left) deleted the video in support of the Chinese state policies and government (despite being from Malaysia, and based in the UK, but clearly with lots of Chinese fans).

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

I'm mixed on Adam Ragusea (I think he has some decent, and some very bad opinions) but his most recent video is just utter nonsense aside from volume > weight for smaller measurements, like up to a tbsp rather than using weight. I was silently grinding my teeth the whole time while my #1 Adam Ragusea Superfan wife was happily taking in all his bullshit.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Kenji: "If your child is using a knife, adult supervision is required"

Gaius Marius: "As a libertarian,

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Tiny Chalupa posted:

Watching the "Kenji's Cooking Show" and Jesus Christ is the man using a gopro or something? Getting motion sickness trying to watch his videos. It is just so jarring vs all of the other people I've watched with basically set camera angles.
Also WTF is up with his kitchen. Organize dammit
He definitely seems nerdy and jumbled. Like, he clearly knows a lot about cooking but struggles to always get it out. I like listening to him though

Yes, he is using a gopro that he attaches to his head at the beginning of every video.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

I was watching the Ragusea video last night and early on I'm like "ha ha yes, dick jokes because the video's about sausage, nice one" and then he slid into his underwear shilling and I'm like "welp that makes sense I guess." Pretty lame.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

you ate my cat posted:

I feel like Chef John ran out of real foods a while ago and now is just making more and more insane things. I still like the guy, but it's been a long time since he made something I want to cook.

It's also pretty obvious he's totally just winging recipes and recording them while he figures them out, since some of them are clearly culinary abominations by the end that probably don't work that great in real life. His savory cheesecake was particularly off-putting to me for some reason.

I still like his videos, since he's a funny guy and can definitely cook, but I don't really want to make any of them.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

droll posted:

Isn't he a millionaire now?

Unless he stupidly signed some dumb poo poo contract ala all gas no brakes

What happened with all gas no brakes? Was just getting into some of it and it seems like he stopped making content.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

mystes posted:

Lol kenji randomly tried to come up with a Food Wishes "you can do whatever you want; after all, you are the X of your Y" line toward the end of his latest video on french toast.

He also did the same thing in his video on spinach soup, I believe, and absolutely butchered it. He knows he's no Chef John but I appreciate the homage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

Does anyone in this thread watch Preppy Kitchen? He's one of my favorite Foodtubers.

He is extremely goofy and enthusiastic. Not the most technically talented, but fun to watch anyway and his energy is infectious.

My wife has made a couple of his desserts and they've come out okay-to-good. He definitely likes things sweet. He can miss me with his savory stuff, though.