Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Paula Deen?
Paula Deen
Paula Deen
View Results

Mob
May 7, 2002

Me reading your posts

Harrow posted:

It seems like Alton Brown has chilled out a lot regarding religion and poo poo like that, but I also totally believe stories that he's kind of a blunt, abrasive rear end in a top hat in person. I don't think that necessarily makes him a bad person or anything, though.

For me it's the "if your kitchen has eggs and bread you can make me French Toast even if it's not on the menu" attitude.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mob
May 7, 2002

Me reading your posts

It's retaliation

Mob
May 7, 2002

Me reading your posts

ShortyMR.CAT posted:

an amazing chef taught French cuisine by an vietnamese immigrant

I wish Master Rang was in more of the Youtube vids but having that much cigarette ash in the food probably ruins the glamour shots

I got the Home Style Cookery book for my birthday and the pictures for every dish are amazing

Mob
May 7, 2002

Me reading your posts

fizzymercy posted:

Still better than trying to watch Younger Fieri be natural. That kid always looks like he poo poo his pants an hour ago and hasn't changed them.

Yeah, Hunter should just go into the corporate/restaurant management side of his dad's business and let his rascally little brother be the camera hog.

Mob
May 7, 2002

Me reading your posts

The best strat was to get on an episode where two of the other three chefs let their ego get them into a rivalry before the game starts, spend nothing and try to coast through round 1 while they sabotage each other, then go wild in rounds 2 and 3 and walk out of there with like $3K

Mob
May 7, 2002

Me reading your posts

fizzymercury posted:

My Granddaddy was a huge Jaques Pepin fan. He was your typical Texas roughneck and cowboy most of the time but he loved Pepin and Julia Child so much he'd record them on the VCR to watch later. For many years he and I would eat a huge lunch of my Grandmama's cooking and then sit down to watch Julia and Jacques and two episodes of Carol Burnett he'd recorded half a decade ago. He'd laugh until he couldn't breathe when he watched Pepin do anything. I realized, after many repeat viewings, that he thought Jacques was a comedian and this was a comedy act. He thought Pepin was part of the Carol Burnett show and the whole thing was a laugh. When I showed him Pepin's actual resume he was shocked to the point of tears. He just thought he was a funny guy, ya know? He went to the afterlife convinced the whole thing was a con job. Like the guy became a chef so that he could be hilarious on TV.

This reminds me you can check out basically all of The Justin Wilson Show from PBS on Twitch https://twitch.tv/thejustinwilsonshow, I thought it was mentioned already in this thread but maybe not, I gar-on-tee

Mob
May 7, 2002

Me reading your posts

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

When I was watching Food Network a few years ago, it was pretty much all competition shows. Are there any how-to instructional shows on TV or they all on during daytime?

The Cooking Channel is usually better for that kind of stuff but tbh I haven't watched anything outside of Man Fire Food for a few years

Mob
May 7, 2002

Me reading your posts

I picked up Discovery+ and have just finished all three Tournament of Champions seasons back to back to back and yeeesh that was some amazing looking food.

Mob
May 7, 2002

Me reading your posts

Mu Zeta posted:

In the past week I've seen Korean army stew on the Youtube page for the New York Times and Bon Appetit. Crazy to me that when I was a kid everyone thought my lunch food was disgusting but now a slapped together soup made of spam and kimchi is somehow mainstream and cool. Also I'm seriousy impressed that Chris Morocco was able to recreate the dish without any knowledge of what it was.

I think the first time I saw it was on one of Bourdain's shows on a trip to South Korea, he met up with a mukbang livestreamer and that's what they were eating.

Mob
May 7, 2002

Me reading your posts

Probably nitpicking but I'm annoyed by "Dessert Week" because, well, they make desserts every single week since forever(okay maybe not Bread Week sometimes)

Mob
May 7, 2002

Me reading your posts

The_Doctor posted:

Catching up on Bake Off, just got to Mexican week. :cripes:

They should have genuinely considered not showing this episode.

But where else can I learn about tackos, pico de gallow, and gawackomaoli

Mob
May 7, 2002

Me reading your posts

Wungus posted:

:hai:

The only food person I haven't seen mentioned who I watch is Mythical Kitchen, but that's less for "good cooking" and more like the culinary equivalent of watching a monster truck rally that occasionally does really good interviews about death. I'm a big fan and even though they do have some good cooks, would never recommend the channel to anyone wanting something serious.

Same, and they gave the world Orange Chicken Parmesan

Mob
May 7, 2002

Me reading your posts

I have Matty's Home Cookery book and his other one I can't remember the name of, big sturdy hardback cookbooks. They're great reads.

Mob
May 7, 2002

Me reading your posts

The Bear is back tomorrow!

Mob
May 7, 2002

Me reading your posts

Yeah Alison was wonderful

Mob
May 7, 2002

Me reading your posts

Eat This Glob posted:

working on "alex vs america" at the moment and guarnaschelli lopped the tip of her finger off on a mandolin. having done the deed myself, i always pucker up when competition cooks are flying with radishes or whatever, but to see an iron chef guillotine the tip of a digit - yowza. wasn't expecting that!

One time on Guy's Grocery Games Robert Irvine slashed his finger and the medic was taking too long so he just wrapped it up in electrical tape

Mob
May 7, 2002

Me reading your posts

smackfu posted:

Is Tournament of Champions good? We are jonesin for some reality cooking shows besides Top Chef and Bake Off which are only like 20 weeks total each year.

It's probably my favorite of the competition cooking shows and one of my favorite parts is chefs freaking out over the legends who are blind judging their food

Mob
May 7, 2002

Me reading your posts

There is and it's a HOSS of a loving episode

Mob
May 7, 2002

Me reading your posts

bunnyofdoom posted:

Holy poo poo Is this Jet's year? Feeling it especially with the edit

You might be right, their FN show was just added to MAX last week

This is definitely the sickest final four so far

Mob
May 7, 2002

Me reading your posts

There's a new show to take the Sunday night spot of Tournament of Champions called 24 in 24. 24 chefs doing 24 challenges in 24 straight hours. There's a handful of names in there if you watch competition shows. It's perfectly acceptable television, episode 2 is on right now so I'll prob watch it after rasslin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mob
May 7, 2002

Me reading your posts

Cutthroat Kitchen had a good strategy, which was be on the show with two chefs who hated each other and do nothing in round 1 while they were extra spiteful, then go hard the rest of the game and walk out with like $3000