Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Paula Deen?
Paula Deen
Paula Deen
View Results

atothesquiz
Aug 31, 2004

Bob Morales posted:

I don't have cable TV but I make due (do?) with Create on PBS

http://createtv.com/cooking

The shows, in order from best to worst are:

All I watch is Create as well and I completely agree with all of your observations. Additionally, I loving hate most of the new cooking shows like the one with Ian Knauer; all they do is show out of focus food and pan from left to right, or right to left. I can't loving stand it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

atothesquiz
Aug 31, 2004
I'll make a brief argument for the other side. I'll use the beer world for this argument.

Alton Brown got people into food and cooking and the science behind it because of the uniqueness and wide availability of his product.

These people grew into knowledgeable and confident home cooks, ultimately because of Alton Brown or not, but perhaps Alton was the catalyst for many.

These people began to hate on Alton Brown because they've found better products.

Dogfish Head got a lot of people into craft beers because of their uniqueness and availability of their product.

These people grew into knowledgeable and confident beer lovers, ultimately because of DFH or not, it was a catalyst for many.

These people grew to hate on DFH because of they found better products.

Does this make DFH a bad for beer? Sure, they make some odd or even bad beer but overall, they still produce good product. How about Alton Brown? He also has his moments of odd techniques/ideas, some even bad (making wings? wtf), but he also has a good product behind it all.

atothesquiz
Aug 31, 2004
His story telling series is fine if not a bit over the top. I liked his other (older) series, Cooking with Nick Stellino, a lot more.

atothesquiz
Aug 31, 2004

Croatoan posted:

:same:

Between finding out that Lidia Bastianich is a goddamn monster...

Woah; what? A quick google search comes up with nothing.

atothesquiz
Aug 31, 2004

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Are there any YouTube or similar channels that show old cooking shows, like 50s or earlier? Do those kind of shows even exist? I'm intensely curious how things have changed but I get the feeling most of it is just in pictures and cookbooks instead of video form.

https://www.pbs.org/food/julia-child/julia-child-video-collection/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

atothesquiz
Aug 31, 2004

The_Doctor posted:

I’m very much enjoying the live-streams Alton Brown and his wife have been doing on YouTube.

I've been enjoying his other shorts as well. I like that he's more open and free to say what he wants since it's his YouTube channel and not a network's, like when he actually names brand name products that he likes even though they're not sponsors.