Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Roylicious
Feb 21, 2012

Braver than the cops
ain't afraid of no chaps
If they steppin up on me
I just start bustin some caps

Slime Bro Helpdesk posted:

I feel like the idea of Trump not meeting "what is required of a presidential candidate." comes up a lot, and I'm not sure what people think is required of a Presidential Candidate aside from the age and citizenship stuff, and whatever other details.

Yeah really any idiot that is 35 and US born is good enough really :downs:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roylicious
Feb 21, 2012

Braver than the cops
ain't afraid of no chaps
If they steppin up on me

I hate yankees posted:

i think his point was it's not quantifiable, but way to be a douche about it

most of the things they say about trump were true of obama, particularly with foreign policy

Not quantifiable is not the same as 'it's hard to define so it doesn't really matter' which is what was being insinuated. "I'm not sure what is really required or why people care about it :shrug:" is what was said. Maybe a good qualification should be 'not easily trolled by comments making fun of physical quirks like small hands.'

At least Obama had been in public office before.

Roylicious
Feb 21, 2012

Braver than the cops
ain't afraid of no chaps
If they steppin up on me
The angle is just Trump is very obviously saying whatever he thinks will play well and he has no concrete plan or anything which should be readily apparent to anyone with half a brain, which understandably makes people nervous about what he's actually going to do if he is elected. Statements like "I'm going to put a moratorium on federal regulations" which are nonsensical (the executive can't really do that) reveal as much.

The question is just is that really any worse than HRC and that's debatable.

Roylicious
Feb 21, 2012

Braver than the cops
ain't afraid of no chaps
If they steppin up on me
Tbh I'd vote for him if I thought for a second that he'd sit up there calling in bumbling fools to the Oval to tell them 'YOU'RE FIRED' on C-SPAN.

Roylicious fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Sep 19, 2016

Roylicious
Feb 21, 2012

Braver than the cops
ain't afraid of no chaps
If they steppin up on me
"Created jobs" in that context is kinda just "was rich" if you think about it though. Investing capital has nothing to do with "creating jobs" in a state policy sense.

Besides doesn't he just license his name out 90% of the time to already existing projects?

Roylicious
Feb 21, 2012

Braver than the cops
ain't afraid of no chaps
If they steppin up on me

Slime Bro Helpdesk posted:

It's fine for people to care about different things in their preferred president. Heck, you should probably vote based on your preferences!

Sure but let's not pretend like any rear end in a top hat could do a good job because all that's really needed is some conviction and pluck.

Roylicious
Feb 21, 2012

Braver than the cops
ain't afraid of no chaps
If they steppin up on me
Believe me.

Roylicious
Feb 21, 2012

Braver than the cops
ain't afraid of no chaps
If they steppin up on me
All I know is I'm getting my options straddles ready for Election Day :cheerdoge:

Roylicious
Feb 21, 2012

Braver than the cops
ain't afraid of no chaps
If they steppin up on me
It is kind of absurd that HRC has had more senate investigations into her than they did for 9/11. I mean... at some point I feel like there's nothing really concrete to find? Nothing criminal anyway.

Which is the senate's own dumb fault after basically legislating away the potential to get indicted for bribery.

Roylicious
Feb 21, 2012

Braver than the cops
ain't afraid of no chaps
If they steppin up on me
I dunno I just feel like after the what 8th investigation if they haven't turned anything up maybe they aren't going to.

Roylicious
Feb 21, 2012

Braver than the cops
ain't afraid of no chaps
If they steppin up on me

Robot Pride posted:

and gently caress handing anything personal over to the FBI

Yeah let's not pretend like every other politician in DC wouldn't have done the exact same thing.

Roylicious
Feb 21, 2012

Braver than the cops
ain't afraid of no chaps
If they steppin up on me
HRC hasn't done anything criminal. Is that really so difficult to wrap your head around?

Like it's okay you can say she's a bad candidate and drop all the hysterics as well ya know? :shrug:

Roylicious
Feb 21, 2012

Braver than the cops
ain't afraid of no chaps
If they steppin up on me

Boomstick Quaid posted:

There's actually many laws she broke that she got a pass on.

To be honest I'm more willing to believe the attorney general and the Department of Justice and the FBI and all the other various senate commissions on this than random GBS posters.

If there was evidence then she'd be indicted but she wasn't because there obviously did nothing criminal.

And I would *absolutely* wipe any data that wasn't being subpoena'd because like was already said screw them having all my personal info that they don't need.

Roylicious
Feb 21, 2012

Braver than the cops
ain't afraid of no chaps
If they steppin up on me

Boomstick Quaid posted:

Hey retard private citizens don't have to follow FOIA. People with government jobs are held to a higher standard so maybe don't talk about your pussy farts on official government communications.

So then the entire government is corrupt to the point that it doesn't matter who you vote for; if Hillary can blatantly commit crimes and get away scott free like you say then what's the point really?

Roylicious
Feb 21, 2012

Braver than the cops
ain't afraid of no chaps
If they steppin up on me

Well...

yeah.

Roylicious
Feb 21, 2012

Braver than the cops
ain't afraid of no chaps
If they steppin up on me
Just gonna leave this here: http://www.businessinsider.com/un-aid-trucks-airstrike-syria-us-russia-relations-2016-9

Watch Hildog start a war

Roylicious
Feb 21, 2012

Braver than the cops
ain't afraid of no chaps
If they steppin up on me
It's pretty amazing how badly the Dems have run this campaign.

Roylicious
Feb 21, 2012

Braver than the cops
ain't afraid of no chaps
If they steppin up on me
It's a dumb article but to be fair there are multiple paragraphs illustrating what the author likes about Clinton, starting with "Clinton is pro-choice" and ending somewhere around "shrewd, savvy, tough politician."

I just don't really believe Clinton is going to enact those policies nor do I particularly think progressive social policy is all that matters.

Roylicious
Feb 21, 2012

Braver than the cops
ain't afraid of no chaps
If they steppin up on me
HRC aside I have no confidence that the Dems have the guts to really get anything done in the face of a hostile GOP in Congress. Obama was elected with a fairly clear mandate on several things and proceeded to get barely even token legislation through because of the GOP. The Dems rolled over on every negotiation and gave the GOP pretty much everything they wanted in the name of party cooperation and then just got shafted anyway. Remember "remove the public option or we'll filibuster" then they filibustered anyway?

If Trump is in office there's a pretty strong chance the Dems will gain a lot of seats which is really where the social progressive stuff is going to come from, if you actually care about that. With HRC in office, it seems like it'll be 4-8 years of quagmire again wherein nothing gets done except some token feel good stuff and a lot of gimmes to big finance.

You care about SCOTUS appointments? The executive still needs approval from Congress to confirm anyone and your fantasy liberal candidates aren't getting in there anyway. HRC will most definitely 'compromise' with the GOP and get some middle of the road candidates (at best) in there. Congress has already effectively blocked Obama from making the appointment, what makes anyone think they'll let HRC just appoint some super liberal?

That said Trump is probably completely unqualified to be president and will have no idea what he is doing in office which will probably end up being a bog standard GOP presidency because he'll end up doing whatever his conservative advisers tell him is a good idea.

Ugh too many words.

Roylicious fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Sep 20, 2016

Roylicious
Feb 21, 2012

Braver than the cops
ain't afraid of no chaps
If they steppin up on me

Spunky Psycho Ho posted:

Lol. Ok. Obama is a sell out and a global corporation / wall street rear end monkey. It has nothing to do with the GOP. It's cute that you believe in things though.

Well if you think that corporate interests are that ingrained then it really does not matter whatsoever who is president.

If all billionaires and F500 companies were aligned on who the best candidate for them would be then I might agree but that's not remotely true at all.

Roylicious
Feb 21, 2012

Braver than the cops
ain't afraid of no chaps
If they steppin up on me

reallivedinosaur posted:

obama had control of both houses and sucked

Well that's just untrue. The Dems had control of the House for the first 2 years of his presidency but not the Senate because it requires 60 seats to bypass filibusters (which the Dems did not have). Plus this was when the stimulus package the GOP was crying bloody murder about got passed. Do you remember how they made filibusters just "we're filibustering now?" It's not Mr. Smith Goes to Washington style anymore.

The Dems had 60 seats in the Senate for all of 4 months until Kennedy's seat was filled by a Republican, which was when they finally managed to get a gutted Obamacare passed (since they gutted it then the GOP filibustered anyway resulting in it being dead in the water until those 4 months).

If Obama was a corporate sell out we'd have seen a lot worse; such as no requirement for the banks and car companies to pay back the bailout money (most of which has been paid back already).

I'm not a huge Obama fan and def not a Dem fan but constantly spouting factoids and misinformation only makes your side look weaker. It takes 2 moments to verify information in this day and age and I don't see how anyone could argue against the notion that the GOP has been a bunch of pissbabies for the last 8 years.

Roylicious fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Sep 20, 2016

Roylicious
Feb 21, 2012

Braver than the cops
ain't afraid of no chaps
If they steppin up on me
I hope the 9/11 veto gets overridden if he does it. Saudi Arabia sucks.

Although Obama has kind of a point that it then sets a precedent and opens the USA up to lawsuits from foreigners. Solution to that is maybe stop doing illegal war things though!

Roylicious
Feb 21, 2012

Braver than the cops
ain't afraid of no chaps
If they steppin up on me

Spunky Psycho Ho posted:

I mean this poo poo at the end just shows what he's all about.

I dunno he's ramming through a lot of cool things. FDA regulation of vape stuff, ending "antibacterial" crap, setting aside tons of land and water for nature/fishing preserves, various other stuff.

reallivedinosaur posted:

It sets a "precedent" how? Obama is full of poo poo, he supports the Saudis, and that's all there is to it.

Maybe look up the definition of the word there guy. If the USA says 'we can sue SA in private for their actions against us' then what prevents European countries from jumping on that wagon and letting their citizens sue the USA in international courts for causing the refugee crisis or whatever else?

Roylicious
Feb 21, 2012

Braver than the cops
ain't afraid of no chaps
If they steppin up on me
e: quote is not edit

Roylicious
Feb 21, 2012

Braver than the cops
ain't afraid of no chaps
If they steppin up on me

Spunky Psycho Ho posted:

Truly historic. I feel bad I never voted for him now

Look he's not the most amazing president ever but it's kind of silly how people get so gung ho one way or another. Like being normal has just disappeared from the political scene and if you're not decrying Obama as a Muslim sell out terrorist corporatist you clearly must be shilling or something.

Drove past someone the other day who was sitting by his minivan which was covered in 'MICHELLE OBAMA IS A TRANNY' stickers shouting about Muslims. That isn't a good look.

Odds are things are more complex in DC than just the President sitting back with a grin and enacting shadow government policies.

Roylicious
Feb 21, 2012

Braver than the cops
ain't afraid of no chaps
If they steppin up on me

gently caress the ROW posted:

oh yeah the antibacterial soap is great because it doesn't matter even in the tinest smallest amount since india and china pump about two gallons of antibiotics into each child who ever catches a cold, which is what actually creates the resistant bacteria... smh obama more like what a bum

See this is the kind of intellectual dishonesty that turns people off. Sorry but it's totally a good thing that the FDA has been empowered to go after bullshit like that and India/China have nothing to do with it. Besides which we are negotiating with them about using less (or eliminating) agricultural antibiotics.

Being mad at Obama because he can't wave a magic wand and tell India and China what to do is insane.

reallivedinosaur posted:

the status quo is not a good thing and should not be something we support

And I don't like HRC. I'm simply saying Obama is not some mastermind sellout corporatist and it is true that he faced unprecedented opposition from the GOP in nearly every single thing he tried to do. Saying 'nuh uh he controlled both houses and got nothing done!' just makes normal people :rolleyes: at you.

Roylicious
Feb 21, 2012

Braver than the cops
ain't afraid of no chaps
If they steppin up on me
I like how it's now an Obama conspiracy that single payer public option didn't happen even though the GOP explicitely said 'we will filibuster this unless you remove this' and at the time the Dems did not have 60 seats so it was either remove it or nothing. Then the GOP filibustered anyway and the Dems got lucky with Kennedy's seat and managed to squeak it through as it was on the floor before the GOP got the seat filled.

It's also an Obama conspiracy that the GOP then sued over it and took it all the way to the Supreme Court, which was only resolved June 2015.

What exactly is he supposed to do? The executive isn't the king. He can't just force Congress to pass laws nor can he tell the courts to screw off with their injunctions.

dookifex_maximus posted:

Now you're insulting him more, because what savvy ex-senator wouldn't know the most basic bargaining tactic? You ask for full communism so you can settle for single payer.

There is no bargaining possible when the GOP says 'remove this or we will filibuster it and it will never pass because you don't have 60 seats.'

e:

im not sure you even know what youre talking about at all, especially if you think the FDA "goes after" anything except for flagrant violations (after the fact) or perhaps political opponents of whoever currently appointed the FDA

I very rarely post in here but even I know you're either a moron or a bad troll. "Empowerment of this toothless regulatory agency is bad because it is toothless!!!" is what you just said.

Roylicious fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Sep 20, 2016

Roylicious
Feb 21, 2012

Braver than the cops
ain't afraid of no chaps
If they steppin up on me
I think I win if you start seeing Mordins in the shadows lmao.

Roylicious
Feb 21, 2012

Braver than the cops
ain't afraid of no chaps
If they steppin up on me

reallivedinosaur posted:

bill needs our help guys

Okay that's pretty great.

Roylicious
Feb 21, 2012

Braver than the cops
ain't afraid of no chaps
If they steppin up on me

Its like your twins... Im curious abotu what you think you're winning... hope its really good, to make up for all the pain, suffering, emotional traumas you inflicted with your posting

Dont answer that never mind

Nice meltdown?

Roylicious
Feb 21, 2012

Braver than the cops
ain't afraid of no chaps
If they steppin up on me

Zo posted:

Lmao i don't even care about any of this but just lmao at "the GOP threatened to filibuster so it was completely impossible of course no chance whatsoever shouldn't even try, except uhh this thing they filibustered and got passed anyway"

Like lol hardest self own i've seen in a while

Apparently you lack reading comprehension.

They need 60 seats to bypass a filibuster. They did not have 60 seats because Ted Kennedy was at home dying, meaning they only had 59 seats. They managed to get a Democrat to fill out Kennedy's term, at which point they had those 60 seats for just a couple months until the special election. Scott Brown (R) was looking like he was going to win the seat (and he did).

So they had to ram through what was already on the floor in that time, because there wasn't enough time for it to go back through committee and the House, since if it gets re-written on the Senate floor it has to go through the House again.

What was already on the floor was the gutted healthcare bill the GOP said they'd cooperate on but didn't so that's what we got.

The only self own here is you not comprehending basic civics.

Roylicious
Feb 21, 2012

Braver than the cops
ain't afraid of no chaps
If they steppin up on me

canpakes posted:

Obama didn't try to get public support for meaningful
Healthcare reform and didn't try to pass meaningful healthcare reform. I voted for him too but please find a way to deal with reality.

I didn't vote for him but please educate yourself on the political process because this thread is full of people who apparently think the executive has way more power than the office actually wields.

He had TONS of public support for healthcare reform. Unfortunately half the country was also screaming 'MUSLIM COMMUNIST' at him. Do you not remember the media repeating "DEATH PANELS" over and over again? He had no way of knowing in 2008-2009 that the GOP would lie and filibuster despite concessions from the Dems before the fact, and he had no way of knowing that pursuing cross-party relations at that point would be fruitless.

He should have realized that afterwards and taken a harder stance on future negotiations but that's a different issue.

Roylicious
Feb 21, 2012

Braver than the cops
ain't afraid of no chaps
If they steppin up on me

dookifex_maximus posted:

that obstinate douchebag bluster really didnt work out for the republican party. they got a bunch of antivaxxing freemen on the land shoved up their keisters and then trump lmao

Yeah they let the tea parties in and boy howdy that went wrong quick. I usually vote R but now I dunno; they aren't very representative of solid fiscal policy and hands off social stuff anymore.

Roylicious
Feb 21, 2012

Braver than the cops
ain't afraid of no chaps
If they steppin up on me

reallivedinosaur posted:

he probably should have been a better president

He shoulda used the bully pulpit more.

Roylicious
Feb 21, 2012

Braver than the cops
ain't afraid of no chaps
If they steppin up on me

Quantum Finger posted:

This rigged system is poo poo.

Just set up your options straddles and drink a lot. It's working out alright for me I suppose although there's a lot of hipster california IPAs making their way over here which I don't like.

e: \/\/\/ I'd buy that shirt

Roylicious
Feb 21, 2012

Braver than the cops
ain't afraid of no chaps
If they steppin up on me
Hell yeah.

Roylicious
Feb 21, 2012

Braver than the cops
ain't afraid of no chaps
If they steppin up on me

Spunky Psycho Ho posted:

I don't understand why young people wanted Obamacare so much when it just redistributed wealth from the young and healthy to the old and sick

No wealth to redistribute if no one can afford insurance in the first place.

Roylicious
Feb 21, 2012

Braver than the cops
ain't afraid of no chaps
If they steppin up on me

Spunky Psycho Ho posted:

Yah but I'm getting a policy thats like 30% worse for 50$ a month more now

Same haha. No don't get me wrong that bill sucks. I just don't think it's 100% on Obama.

a bone to pick posted:

I love how when you're too poor to afford healthcare, but not poor enough to have medicaid, you can't just opt-out lol gotta give the government money for no reason.

If you can't afford medicaid there's still subsidized plans... I have a friend whose premium is $300/mo but he only actually pays like $100 because the gov't subsidizes the rest. Might depend on state since I know not all insurers are everywhere but still there should be something like that.

But aside from that very small slice of the population it pretty much blows for everyone else yeah. And those subsidized plans are often poo poo anyway.

We should have just copied Germany's semi-private system where they have decent single payer public option but if you want extras there's premium private insurance too.

Roylicious
Feb 21, 2012

Braver than the cops
ain't afraid of no chaps
If they steppin up on me
The fact is the Dems were ready to go with a public option until the GOP screamed bloody murder until it was removed. If you want to blame anyone blame the Tea Party for mucking up the best chance we had at reforming healthcare in this country for the next 20-30 years probably.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roylicious
Feb 21, 2012

Braver than the cops
ain't afraid of no chaps
If they steppin up on me

canpakes posted:

You, specifically are what's wrong with America.

You make $13/hr.

• Locked thread