Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?

MY NIGGA D-LINK posted:

To expand on this a little bit, I once posited in TFF that the only thing such disparate quarterbacks (in terms of style, body type, level of athleticism, etc) as Brady, both Mannings, Brees, Rivers, Roethlisberger, Romo, Luck and Newton all have in common is that once they were proclaimed THE GUY for their respective franchises, they were supported unconditionally in a vertical integration kind of way. From the owners, to the coaches, to the players, to the fans, everyone was on the same page, and if they stumbled or faltered, no one in the organization allowed any kind of controversy to flower -- it was squashed immediately whether it was Romo's kick holding failure, Eli's endless struggles with turnovers, to Ben's stupid decisions (on and off the field), Peyton's long-running narrative about choking in the playoffs, Brees' stature limitations, questions about Cam's leadership abilities, etc, et al; they are their team's GUY.

That's not to say it's foolproof, as it seems pretty easy to gently caress up like Jeff Fisher and Rex Ryan's endless parade of OCs ruining Bradford and Sanchez, Matt Ryan' and Matthew Stafford's front offices constant failures at other critical areas of team building, Shannahan sacrificing RG3's body for the sake of a playoff win now. You can make a case that like 5 Browns QBs have been ruined by impatience and/or instability. It just goes on forever.

tl;dr it doesn't seem to matter what body type or playing style a potential franchise quarterback has. What really seems to matter is unwavering organizational support and stable coaching and team management. But the front office and coaches can't be just anyone either.

I feel you old bean, but on the other hand how long should a franchise wait to see if the guy actually has the skills to do it? The Browns had Hoyer and drafted Manziel, I think in the draft after Hoyer was out for the season in like week 6. Manziel was a horrible pick, and staying put or taking a different player would have been the right call. But did they undercut Hoyer by doing that? Could Hoyer have become a franchise guy? His post-Browns career suggests no, but I know that's not definitive.

Then Manziel himself. They benched him that one time, after he had played well but Hoyer was healthy again. That was the wrong move, but did it seriously kill his confidence entirely? Did he have the potential, and that ruined it? It's so hard to say! Manziel is a young, athletic QB whose decision-making is not good. Isn't that the kind of guy who is supposed to sit and learn from the sidelines for a while, and get used to the speed of the NFL in practices?

I'm not excusing the Browns, their decisions have been horrible. It's just hard to tell if the horrible decisions were the guys they got or how they treat them, or both, or the fact that jimmy haslam is an unqualified, ignorant jackass

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread