Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

I was talking to peachy Peach about kissy Kiss. He bought me a soda.

Dejan Bimble posted:

Good list !

It was probably true, and I'm no Billy Barnwell or Football outsider so I cant quantify any of this, but it really seems like there are a lot of potential quarterbacks who aren't being reached by the sort of coaching that could turn them into good NFL players.

Does it matter as the world heads to global climate catastrophe? Probably not, but it seems like a problem that could be solved!

the super athletic guys that fit your description seemed to be stashed away on practice squads a lot. previously, guys like warren moon and doug flutie were shipped off to the canadian league to develop their games, but that seems like anathema now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

Dejan Bimble posted:

It's semi comparable to NBA teams trying to teach really long athletic guys to shoot threes, someone goes from pedestrian to immensely valuable. It's a long shot, but if the coaching starts earlier, I think it could really work

Teach the elite athlete and reap the rewards

i think the quarterback crisis is rooted in college offenses playing entirely differently than the nfl. the spread offense really took off because one supremely athletic guy can destroy a team of average college athletes, but when they advance, those guys are meeting the best of the best elite competition in a concentration most of these guys have never had to deal with before. so it becomes a matter of craft and technique to stand out among elite competition across the board. the guys you are thinking of may already be too far behind at the position of quarterback to ever catch up at the nfl level. that's why you see quarterbacks with little technical skill change positions, mostly to wide receiver, in the pros.

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

Durandal1707 posted:

This is pretty much it.

For instance, Sam Bradford. There's a real chance he would've never lived up to the hype anyway, just based on his draft position and that insane rookie contract he got. But he went through something like three different OCs in his first three years in the league, plus however many more he's had since. Nothing keeps a QB's career in neutral much constantly switching offensive coordinators on him and essentially hitting the reset button on that player. It's why Alex Smith didn't do much until Jim Harbaugh showed up, and why Jay Cutler never really turned the corner in Chicago despite being incredibly gifted physically.

There's no guarantee that a QB is going to pan out anyway, but the surest way to make sure it doesn't happen is to constantly switch offensive schemes on him.

To expand on this a little bit, I once posited in TFF that the only thing such disparate quarterbacks (in terms of style, body type, level of athleticism, etc) as Brady, both Mannings, Brees, Rivers, Roethlisberger, Romo, Luck and Newton all have in common is that once they were proclaimed THE GUY for their respective franchises, they were supported unconditionally in a vertical integration kind of way. From the owners, to the coaches, to the players, to the fans, everyone was on the same page, and if they stumbled or faltered, no one in the organization allowed any kind of controversy to flower -- it was squashed immediately whether it was Romo's kick holding failure, Eli's endless struggles with turnovers, to Ben's stupid decisions (on and off the field), Peyton's long-running narrative about choking in the playoffs, Brees' stature limitations, questions about Cam's leadership abilities, etc, et al; they are their team's GUY.

That's not to say it's foolproof, as it seems pretty easy to gently caress up like Jeff Fisher and Rex Ryan's endless parade of OCs ruining Bradford and Sanchez, Matt Ryan' and Matthew Stafford's front offices constant failures at other critical areas of team building, Shannahan sacrificing RG3's body for the sake of a playoff win now. You can make a case that like 5 Browns QBs have been ruined by impatience and/or instability. It just goes on forever.

tl;dr it doesn't seem to matter what body type or playing style a potential franchise quarterback has. What really seems to matter is unwavering organizational support and stable coaching and team management. But the front office and coaches can't be just anyone either.

• Locked thread