Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
Judging by public sentiment and a rough overview of the numbers, about a third of NFL starting quarterbacks are bad, and not just left of the bell curve bad, but not good. You could replace them with 20 other backups and they wouldn't be much worse.

The NFL is a TV show and everything is built around distributing talent evenly for an entertaining TV product, the good teams find ways around parity rules by scouting better, getting QBs to take less money, cheating in interesting ways, etc. But without a decent qb on every team, everything suffers, QBs who are just good enough to be good, (Matt Stafford) get huge deals that eat entire salary capss

How do we add 10 or 12 competent to good quarterbacks to the NFL, because the present method of upper middle class 6'4 Texas and California kids going to 50k per year qb camps/getting personal coaching is just not satisfying demand.

This is my crackpot theory:

There is potential for 10 or 15 more Tyrod Taylors in the NFL right now, super athlete dual threat qbs who didn't grow up upper middle class in california/ texas and thusly didn't have hundreds of thousands of their parents dollars spent on skill development. And maybe the high school/college coaching they did have was lighter on reading defenses/throwing mechanics/etc because they were good enough athletes to succeed without needing all of that.

If about a third of the starting qbs in the league are bad, it means more competent qbs need to be developed. In the long term the NFL needs to find a way to subsidize QB instruction for promising athletic kids whose parents can't afford tons of specialized coaching. Teams need to let those guys develop internally like Taylor. Maybe even add another practice squad slot exclusively for a QB.

Even if you only produced 1 decent qb every other year by that method it would have a huge impact. Over time

It seems like a much less intractable problem than "there aren't enough hyper athletic hyper skilled 6'9 NBA Sgs" because the physical bar is so much lower. There are orders of magnitude more elite athletes from 6'1-6'4 who are smart enough to play quarterback, they just need to be taught.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Mel Mudkiper posted:

You are a doofus, a buffoon, a clown, a dumb rear end, and a bung hole

Those are the exact words John Sculley used when firing Steve Jobs from Apple.

You're going to see, once people realize that QB teaching resources are being wasted, everything is going to change

cheesetriangles posted:

I feel like riding the bench for a few years really helps a developing quarterback.

I don't know how many examples we have because of the immense pressure to play high pick rookies.Aaron Rodgers is the obvious one, there's Tyrod, and Tony Romo.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Ross Angeles posted:

drew brees, philip rivers, eli manning, tom brady

Good list !

Darth Brooks posted:

I swear there was an article in 1971 in like Inside Sports or Sports Illustrated about how there weren't enough good QB's anymore.

It was probably true, and I'm no Billy Barnwell or Football outsider so I cant quantify any of this, but it really seems like there are a lot of potential quarterbacks who aren't being reached by the sort of coaching that could turn them into good NFL players.

Does it matter as the world heads to global climate catastrophe? Probably not, but it seems like a problem that could be solved!

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

MY NIGGA D-LINK posted:

the super athletic guys that fit your description seemed to be stashed away on practice squads a lot. previously, guys like warren moon and doug flutie were shipped off to the canadian league to develop their games, but that seems like anathema now

It's semi comparable to NBA teams trying to teach really long athletic guys to shoot threes, someone goes from pedestrian to immensely valuable. It's a long shot, but if the coaching starts earlier, I think it could really work

Teach the elite athlete and reap the rewards

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Real hurthling! posted:

tyrod is a bad qb tho, OP

I accept that my example of Tyrod might be bad. Let's see if I can phrase this in tortured NFL analyst style: I'm trying to say that there are a lot of guys who could be receiving coaching that would lead them toward median NFL competency and they're not getting that coaching. It's all going to a slice of tall upper middle class California/Texas boys. If the NFL wanted to improve its product, it would find a way to reach those other kids . And if that's not possible, they should consider a permanent developmental quarterback slot per team.

• Locked thread