Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Let me try to see what this might have looked like back in 1990. This is based on my recollection of their careers to that point more or less, hence Kosar being listed as ok instead of terrible, which he was in that particular year. Same in the other direction for Jay Schroeder who had a career year but pretty much sucked overall. The number is their age at the time.

Good/Great QBs who you knew at the time were awesome:

Joe Montana (34)
Warren Moon (34)
John Elway (30)
Dan Marino (29)
Jim Kelly (30)

Middle of the Road:

Jim Everett (27)
Randall Cunningham (27)
Dave Kreig (32)
Boomer Esiason (29)
Phil Simms (35)
Bernie Kosar (27)

Sub-Par (at the time in Vinny's case)

Vinny Testeverde (27)
Ken O'Brien (30)
Jay Schroeder (29)
Marc Wilson (33)
Don Majkowski (26)
Mark Rypien (28)
Bubby Brister (28)
Jay Schroeder (29)
Steve DeBerg ( 36) -- pains me to put him here because he was fun in 1990, but man your career sucked Steve.

Young guys who you didn't know how they'd end up (Rodney Peete actually had the best year out of these guys):

Troy Aikman (24)
Steve Walsh (24)
Rodney Peete (24)
Chris Miller (25)
Billy Joe Tolliver (24)
Timm Rosenbach (24)
Jeff George (23)
Rich Gannon (25)

Steve Young note: he was 29 in 1990 but the only time he'd ever seen the field as a season starter to this point was with Tampa. He did look good in backup situations with San Fran (10 starts over four years).

We can bicker about Sub-Par/middle of the road and I'm probably off on a few guys, but generally I'd think the number of guys in each tier is about right. So other than Marino all of the "great" quarterbacks were 30+. All of the young guys flushed out other than Aikman and late career Gannon. So by my count 5 teams absolutely in love with their QB, 6 teams more or less ok with their situation, 8 trying to develop a QB, and 9 who'd love to upgrade.

Feel free to do your own ranking if you disagree with any of this. I was alive during this time but it isn't like I was a super well versed football fan in the 80s.

Grittybeard fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Sep 16, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Nodoze posted:

I bet teams would love to draft HS QB's before they could get ruined by gimmick college offenses and poor coaching

I mean, they could make this happen if they really wanted to. The owners aren't cool with that though.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Durandal1707 posted:

For instance, Sam Bradford. There's a real chance he would've never lived up to the hype anyway, just based on his draft position and that insane rookie contract he got. But he went through something like three different OCs in his first three years in the league, plus however many more he's had since.

The only offensive coordinator Bradford has had for 2 years in a row is Brian Schottenheimer. That just seems...cruel.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

sean10mm posted:

Best QB season wasted on a fuckface organization?

code:
Year	Age	Tm	Pos	No.	G	GS		Cmp	Att	Cmp%	Yds	TD	TD%	Int	Int%	Lng	Y/A	AY/A	Y/C	Y/G	Rate		
2011	31	DAL	QB	9	16	16		346	522	66.3	4184	31	5.9	10	1.9	77	8.0	8.3	12.1	261.5	102.5		
How the gently caress did the 2011 Cowboys go 8-8 with that level of QB play? :wtc:

code:
Year  No. 	Age 	Pos 	G 	GS 	QBrec 	Cmp 	Att 	Cmp% 	Yds 	TD 	TD% 	Int 	Int% 	Lng 	Y/A 	AY/A 	Y/C 	Y/G 	Rate
1984  15 	 25	QB	16	16	9-7-0	345	560	61.6	4614	28	5.0	16	2.9	83	8.2	8.0	13.4	288.4	92.5
One of my favorite randomly great QB years, at least by counting stats. Still pretty ok on the rate stats though, that's Neil Lomax in 1984. The Cardinals missed the playoffs of course.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
They're not really doing so hot with basketball these days though.

Plus side they seem to generally dominate Asia and managed to qualify for the Olympics. Minus: they were easily the worst team there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Dubious posted:

you don't know what you're talking about. Teddy missed one start since he got promoted to a full time starter, and was trending very well to a good QB until he tore his ACL this year, Now, of course, he's a huge question mark, but the argument of being hurt too much is factually wrong.

To be fair maybe instead of hurt too often you can call him hurt too badly right now to make a call. It's possible his career is flat over, although I'm sure he'll get back into shape enough to at least attempt a comeback. And he could be just fine eventually too, but that's a scary enough injury that it's not like "yeah he'll be back next year, just needs to get the rehab in."

• Locked thread