Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hifi
Jul 25, 2012

i second the idea that it's all coaching. i'd say the good thing is that it looks like some of the college game is coming to the pros, after the chip kelly hype and failure kind of ruined the read option stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

I hate what college recruiting has done to HS football so it'd be cool to see what being one step less removed from the money would do to it

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

I think the appearance cliches like "supporting the quarterback" are way more important to fans and sportswriters than it is to the actual football coaches. it seems like any quarterback drafted is going to be the future face of the franchise and if he doesn't pan out then its either on the coaching staff if he was a fan favorite or the player if he wasn't well liked.

like, why did VY fail? leinart? leaf? and then why did nobody else pick them up for something beyond a camp body? were there specific failures of the organization that were actually fixable instead of something unreasonable like "lets put this player in a bubble and physically restrict him from spending thousands of dollars at the cheesecake factory". sometimes these guys just suck and you can't make them not suck

I think the NFL fandom has a bigger problem with prospects not panning out compared to other sports, partially because of a lack of a big farm system and the immense and immediate value of any draft pick compared to those of any other sport, and then you combine it with an opaque evaluation process and it's pretty easy to get the idiot fan and media cliches we have now. I don't know what exactly a quick fix for this is, but trent richardson's downfall definitely fixed fans clamoring for a runningback in the first round.

A quick observation I had too, I think drafting a QB is probably directly comparable to drafting a goalie in the NHL: there's some surefire first round picks but a whole lot of busts and all the hype and fan analysis is amplified when you only have 2-3 of them on your roster and they play the whole game. But like I said there's an entire farm system so any NHL team probably has 10 goalies in their system... I wonder if the NHL's system of allowing players to be drafted in high school and play through college would work out in the NFL...

• Locked thread