Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret
Shorter version as I'm phone posting, but RG3 and Kap both benefitted from the read option offense that had basically never been seen in the NFL before, among other things.

In Griffin's case, they ran an offense that teams didn't know how to defend well, but was also very simple for the QB as far as reading defenses went, and he had decent talent around him like Morris and Garcon that helped. The combination of teams learning how to defend that offense, which they were shifting away from after his rookie year, and Griffin being "all in for week one" didn't help, but then you also have all the poo poo from his second year like the infamous picture where he had five players totally wide open and took a sack, or Chris Cooley breaking down a game where RG3 made every wrong read possible.

For Kaepernick, someone did a good breakdown on him in another thread not too long ago. Basically, he took over a team with an awesome defense, an amazing offensive line, a great running back, and solid offensive weapons that had already nearly gotten to the Super Bowl. Adding Kaepernicks abilities and the read option only made them better. But then all those other pieces started to fall apart, particularly the offensive line, which exposed a lot of his weaknesses as a quarterback. And then Jim Tomsula happened.

In both cases, they looked awesome early, but never really learned to read defenses or run offenses other the fairly simple ones that they had success in early. That's different from a guy like Nick Foles, who basically just had a single flukey year (Hell, it wasn't even a full season) of awesomeness on a talented team that really couldn't be replicated, which has happened many times before. See guys like Derek Anderson in 2007, Matt Cassel in 2008, or to use some older examples, Mark Rypien in 1991 or Scott Mitchell and Erik Kramer in 1995, among many others who basically had one great year in careers that were meh at best.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread