Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bareback Werewolf
Oct 5, 2013
~*blessed by the algorithm*~
History nerds help me out here. I hate history. Why should I care about a bunch of olds? Yeah! You conquered a thing and the peasants revolted and there were treaties and poo poo.

Who cares?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kuato
Feb 25, 2005

"I CAN'T BELIEVE I ATE THE WHOLE THING"
Buglord
Those who don't learn their own history are doomed to repeat it OP. :smug:

Kuato
Feb 25, 2005

"I CAN'T BELIEVE I ATE THE WHOLE THING"
Buglord
with that being said you should open your mind and try and make your way around to the reactor if you can.

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
History's pretty interesting cos everyone was drunk most of the time and there was no TV so they did stupid poo poo to entertain themselves.
poo poo that's weirder than stuff you could make up

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler

SweetKarma posted:

History nerds help me out here. I hate history. Why should I care about a bunch of olds? Yeah! You conquered a thing and the peasants revolted and there were treaties and poo poo.

Who cares?

everything you are and care about will one day be history

b itch

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

It's okay, op, as an adult you are free to ignore history now. No one cares if you read classical literature, learn a musical instrument, or learn another language. Living up to your potential is unnecessary.

dookifex_maximus
Aug 10, 2016

by zen death robot
idk have you tried not being a BITCH

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Op should check out the kids show horrible history

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
I have a long history.....

OF making GBS threads MY PANTS!!!!!!!!

dZPnJOm8QwUAseApNj
Apr 15, 2002

arf bark woof
imagine, really try really hard to imagine, stabbing someone with a fourteen foot spear

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler

SweetKarma posted:

Who cares?

Everybody else in the adult world feels the same way except for history professors and a few dumbasses on the internet. Welcome to the adult world, kid.

Bareback Werewolf
Oct 5, 2013

Mein Eyes! posted:

imagine, really try really hard to imagine, stabbing someone with a fourteen foot spear

I'm sure there's been many a poor soul stabbed by 14 foot spears, but that's so far removed from my existence that I cannot empathize with the victim. I feel nothing for the nameless one who was stabbed with a 14 foot spear.

dZPnJOm8QwUAseApNj
Apr 15, 2002

arf bark woof

SweetKarma posted:

I'm sure there's been many a poor soul stabbed by 14 foot spears, but that's so far removed from my existence that I cannot empathize with the victim. I feel nothing for the nameless one who was stabbed with a 14 foot spear.

no, empathize with the stabber

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

gnarlyhotep posted:

Everybody else in the adult world feels the same way except for history professors and a few dumbasses on the internet. Welcome to the adult world, kid.
History professors mainly feel the same way, fwiw. It's a living, though!

whoflungpoop
Sep 9, 2004

With you and the constellations
if you dont like history you dont like crazy stories about people doing the most bizzare hosed up retarded hilarious poo poo

and if you dont like that then what the gently caress are you doing on SA

Dinosaurmageddon
Jul 7, 2007

by zen death robot
Hell Gem

whoflungpoop posted:

if you dont like history you dont like crazy stories about people doing the most bizzare hosed up retarded hilarious poo poo

and if you dont like that then what the gently caress are you doing on SA

History: Pre-Internet STDH.txt

Bareback Werewolf
Oct 5, 2013

gnarlyhotep posted:

everything you are and care about will one day be history

b itch

I don't think they're going to be writing about ole' SweetKarma 100 years in the future. Don't flatter me.

Dinosaurmageddon
Jul 7, 2007

by zen death robot
Hell Gem
Those who don't learn their own history are doomed to repeat it OP. :colbert:

Khorne
May 1, 2002
If you don't find it interesting then learn something else.

You can only care and learn about so many things, and history is not an important one for any sizable portion of the population to concentrate on.

Some things to focus on would be relating to some historical figures, understanding your own mortality, crazy events, putting yourself in a different period or time and place that is wildly different from your own, and understanding how all the cogs in the "world" machine worked during a time period. Civilization's complexity only increases over time. The people in the world stay just as basic.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 08:49 on Sep 16, 2016

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!
History is about strapping as many rockets and twigs to a tank as you can possibly manage. How can that not be interesting?

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
those who dont learn about history are doomed to repeat it OP

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
I'd believe in "learning from/not repeating history" a lot more if white noise posters could look critically at their own post history and make it not poo poo going forwards.

KomodoWagon
May 10, 2013

by R. Guyovich

jBrereton posted:

I'd believe in "learning from/not repeating history" a lot more if white noise posters could look critically at their own post history and make it not poo poo going forwards.

It's one of the most bullshit sentences ever spoken because anyone who knows a bit about history knows people do the same dumb poo poo over and over again, getting incrementally more catastrophic results each time due to technology, until we exterminate ourselves

Bareback Werewolf
Oct 5, 2013

lilljonas posted:

History is about strapping as many rockets and twigs to a tank as you can possibly manage. How can that not be interesting?

Yeah, but what date did that happen? In what country? Why did it happen? How did it effect the local economy? How many people died during the battle? Was the battle significant to the war? Name every person that operated on the twig tank. Write a 5 page essay about how twig tanks turned the tide of battle in WW2.

gently caress your twig tank.

GRILLARY CLINTON
Mar 5, 2016

I know the devil is real.
I know the devil is real.
why do you think anybody cares about this

KomodoWagon
May 10, 2013

by R. Guyovich

SweetKarma posted:

5 page essay

lol this dude's in middle school

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,
You smell like Lysol Wipes.
gently caress history. If it was so great, it's still be happening.

whoflungpoop
Sep 9, 2004

With you and the constellations
u know what gently caress the op hes boring / a bitch this thread now about more interesting things i will use pictures so the op can follow along

ok in the great northern war between :sweden: and :ussr: like 1600s? the swedes were gonna get :a2m: by some larger russian force so they had to :horse: and ordered the army to abandon all the supplies bc the wagons were too slow

but that also included the booze wagons and some of the army got :argh: and 1500 mutinied and started :rubshands: so they wouldnt have to leave the alcohol behind

so the rest of the swedish army left them behind and the next day the russians showed up and captured all the hungover deserters and they spent the rest of their retarded fuckin lives as slave labor for the czar. the end

lonesomedwarf
Mar 22, 2010

ive have packed my foreskin with dirt and sand

lonesomedwarf
Mar 22, 2010

did you know that. czar and tsar come freom the word caesar its true. i think

edit: caesar was an italian king in the middle ages

edit i also heard a viking hosed a horse. can anyone comfirm

KomodoWagon
May 10, 2013

by R. Guyovich

lonesomedwarf posted:

don't doxx me

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

You call it "The Big Bang", but what really happened is
Grimey Drawer
This contains everything you need to know about history: http://badassoftheweek.com/index.cgi?archive=1

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

lonesomedwarf posted:

did you know that. czar and tsar come freom the word caesar its true. i think

edit: caesar was an italian king in the middle ages

confirmed. i am a historian

Bareback Werewolf
Oct 5, 2013
In sixteen hundred forty two columbus sailed the ocean blue.

That's a cold hard fact.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
i am doing a big history project right now. here op is how to enjoy history. it is basically like reading a thread with 2000 pages. you can't reply any more to the early posts, but it still might be funny and worth reading. enjoy a piece of my research, this is history from 1880 Detroit, November:

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Don't study history

it's full of gay people

Michael Bayleaf
Jun 4, 2006

Tortured By Flan

SweetKarma posted:

Who cares?

history is cool, idiot. Now I'm making you history... in a grave

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005
The hit HBO show "Rome" was really good. Also
Betty White is older than sliced bread. (Otto Frederick Rohwedder invented sliced bread in 1928, while Betty White was born in 1922. Bread had existed prior to that , just not in the pre-sliced form.)

The last time the Chicago Cubs won a World Series, women were not allowed to vote.(The infamous cold streak by the Chicago Cubs baseball team extends back to 1908, when they won their second World Series. Women in the US acquired the right to vote in 1920.)

Will Smith is now older than Uncle Phil was at the beginning of "The Fresh Prince."(When James Avery (Uncle Phil) started on The Fresh Prince, he was 45-years-old. Today, Will Smith is slightly older than 45.)

Cleopatra lived closer to the building of Pizza Hut than the pyramids.(The Great Pyramid was built cerca 2560 BC, while Cleopatra lived around 30 BC. The first Pizza Hut opened in 1958, which is about 500 years closer.)

There was more time between the Stegosaurus and the Tyrannosaurus Rex than between Tyrannosaurus Rex and you. (The Stegosaurus lived 150 million years ago, while the T-Rex lived only 65 million years ago.)

France was still executing people by guillotine when Star Wars came out.(Star Wars premiered in theaters in May 1977. The last execution by guillotine took place September 10th of the same year.)

The first pyramids were built while the woolly mammoth was still alive.(While most mammoths died out 10,000 years ago, a small population still survived until 1650 BC. By that point, Egypt was halfway through its empire, and the Giza Pyramids were already 1000 years old.)

Harvard University was founded before there was even calculus. (Harvard is the oldest higher education institution in the US, founded in 1636. Calculus wasn't derived until later in the 17th century, with the work of Gottfried Leibniz and Isaac Newton.)

When Warner Brothers formed, the Ottoman Empire was still a thing. (Harry, Albert, Sam, and Jack Warner opened their first theater, the Cascade, in New Castle, Pennsylvania in 1903. Meanwhile, the Ottoman Empire spanned from 1299 to 1923, when Turkey became an independent nation.)

The jewelry company Tiffany & Co. has been around longer than Italy. (Charles Lewis Tiffany and John B. Young founded Tiffany & Young in 1837, while Italy didn't become a country until 1861.)

Oxford University is older than the Aztecs (Teaching started in Oxford as early as 1096, and by 1249, the University was officially founded. The Aztec civilization as we know it began with the founding of Tenochtitlán in 1325.)

The oldest living person's birth is closer to the signing of the Constitution than present day. (Misao Okawa was born in 1898, an astonishing 115 years ago. The Constitution was signed in 1787, which makes her life 4 years closer to the historic Philadelphia convention than to today.)

There are whales alive today who were born before Moby Dick was written. (Some of the bowhead whales living off the coast of Alaska are well over 200 years old. They were born well before Moby Dick was written in 1851, and might have been the very animals to inspire the tale.)

The fax machine was invented the same year people were traveling the Oregon Trail.(The first fax machine was developed by Alexander Bain in 1843, meanwhile The Great Migration began across America.)

But whatever, op, don't do lsd who cares.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord

SweetKarma posted:

Who cares?

There's a window in the castle at Prague. You'd think it was an ordinary window, but nope, it isn't. Bunch of pissed off peasants threw some nobles out of it. Twice. It's now the defenestration window.
It was funny to see something like that, which I read about in 9th grade, in person.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
since op said History with a capital H we have to assume he means the TV channel and not the academic subject

• Locked thread