Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
history is cool because it makes it clear that nostalgia is a lie and the good old days were just as lovely as the present

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005

Serious Frolicking posted:

history is cool because it makes it clear that nostalgia is a lie and the good old days were just as lovely as the present

You are in the "good old days" right in this moment, actually, you're just not wise enough to realize it

free basket of chips
Sep 7, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Most of the stories that come out of history are better than fiction

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005
I have some time crystals, here, snort them. . . .

Cake Smashing Boob
Nov 5, 2008

I support black genocide
hang on OP, let me hook you up w some "starter history"

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord

Ein cooler Typ posted:

since op said History with a capital H we have to assume he means the TV channel and not the academic subject

In that case:
OP you should care because the ancient Nazi aliens that built our society will soon return, and we must be prepared!

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

if you don't like a particular bit of history read another bit, there's plenty to pick from

it helps you understand what adults are talking about so you're not just wandering around chuckling at your own farts (though you can still do that even after you've read some books)

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
i think the coolest bit of history is when you remember that they were actual people living normal human lives like we are now but withou tv or the internet or proper healthcare

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
the internet has made people lazy

if Lee Harvey Oswald lived today he would just espouse Marxism on reddit instead of actually defecting to the Soviet Union and killing the president

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005
lol

DadWilly
Jul 1, 2003

Watch some Crash Course World History videos on Youtube. They are well written and hosted and thus are fun and informative and addicting in a weird way.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yocja_N5s1I&list=PLBDA2E52FB1EF80C9 awww yisssss

DadWilly
Jul 1, 2003

Poetic Justice posted:

The hit HBO show "Rome" was really good. Also
Betty White is older than sliced bread. (Otto Frederick Rohwedder invented sliced bread in 1928, while Betty White was born in 1922. Bread had existed prior to that , just not in the pre-sliced form.)

The last time the Chicago Cubs won a World Series, women were not allowed to vote.(The infamous cold streak by the Chicago Cubs baseball team extends back to 1908, when they won their second World Series. Women in the US acquired the right to vote in 1920.)

Will Smith is now older than Uncle Phil was at the beginning of "The Fresh Prince."(When James Avery (Uncle Phil) started on The Fresh Prince, he was 45-years-old. Today, Will Smith is slightly older than 45.)

Cleopatra lived closer to the building of Pizza Hut than the pyramids.(The Great Pyramid was built cerca 2560 BC, while Cleopatra lived around 30 BC. The first Pizza Hut opened in 1958, which is about 500 years closer.)

There was more time between the Stegosaurus and the Tyrannosaurus Rex than between Tyrannosaurus Rex and you. (The Stegosaurus lived 150 million years ago, while the T-Rex lived only 65 million years ago.)

France was still executing people by guillotine when Star Wars came out.(Star Wars premiered in theaters in May 1977. The last execution by guillotine took place September 10th of the same year.)

The first pyramids were built while the woolly mammoth was still alive.(While most mammoths died out 10,000 years ago, a small population still survived until 1650 BC. By that point, Egypt was halfway through its empire, and the Giza Pyramids were already 1000 years old.)

Harvard University was founded before there was even calculus. (Harvard is the oldest higher education institution in the US, founded in 1636. Calculus wasn't derived until later in the 17th century, with the work of Gottfried Leibniz and Isaac Newton.)

When Warner Brothers formed, the Ottoman Empire was still a thing. (Harry, Albert, Sam, and Jack Warner opened their first theater, the Cascade, in New Castle, Pennsylvania in 1903. Meanwhile, the Ottoman Empire spanned from 1299 to 1923, when Turkey became an independent nation.)

The jewelry company Tiffany & Co. has been around longer than Italy. (Charles Lewis Tiffany and John B. Young founded Tiffany & Young in 1837, while Italy didn't become a country until 1861.)

Oxford University is older than the Aztecs (Teaching started in Oxford as early as 1096, and by 1249, the University was officially founded. The Aztec civilization as we know it began with the founding of Tenochtitlán in 1325.)

The oldest living person's birth is closer to the signing of the Constitution than present day. (Misao Okawa was born in 1898, an astonishing 115 years ago. The Constitution was signed in 1787, which makes her life 4 years closer to the historic Philadelphia convention than to today.)

There are whales alive today who were born before Moby Dick was written. (Some of the bowhead whales living off the coast of Alaska are well over 200 years old. They were born well before Moby Dick was written in 1851, and might have been the very animals to inspire the tale.)

The fax machine was invented the same year people were traveling the Oregon Trail.(The first fax machine was developed by Alexander Bain in 1843, meanwhile The Great Migration began across America.)

But whatever, op, don't do lsd who cares.

Holy poo poo this is legit good and interesting. Thanks for this!

Cigstomper58
Aug 17, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
I learn it by repeating it as often as legally possible.

Currently researching African American slavery. I currently have 9 fantasy football teams going.

Cigstomper58
Aug 17, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Next month is the Holocaust.

I'll be going around to various jewish businesses and gay bars farting as often as possible. If anyone frowns at me I'll frantically shove almonds into my mouth. All in my old marching band uniform.

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005
that sounds exciting, I can't wait!

Cigstomper58
Aug 17, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Trail of Tears is gonna be great. Tie a dollar to a fishing line on a super hot day and just lead people on as fast as I can make them walk. I'll try to do this at the Seminole hard rock for the proper demographic.

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005

Cigstomper58 posted:

Trail of Tears is gonna be great. Tie a dollar to a fishing line on a super hot day and just lead people on as fast as I can make them walk. I'll try to do this at the Seminole hard rock for the proper demographic.

Ipad?

buckets of buckets
Apr 8, 2012

CHECK OUT MY AWESOME POSTS
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3681373&pagenumber=114&perpage=40#post447051278

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3681373&pagenumber=91&perpage=40#post444280066

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3818944&pagenumber=196&perpage=40#post472627338

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3788178&pagenumber=405&perpage=40#post474195694

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3831643&pagenumber=5&perpage=40#post475694634
without a good rounded understanding of history you cannot understand the present, and if you cant understand the present youre a feckin idiot

Cigstomper58
Aug 17, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

I think I might have to up it to 100 dollar bill as a dollar just doesn't have the same allure as it used to. But drunks and gamblers are desperate.

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005
I pad my bra and stories as well

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005
Software?

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005
I'm soft where it counts

kikkelivelho
Aug 27, 2015

Ease yourself in by starting with a very cool and action packed part of history. The past may seem boring but in reality there's tons of stuff that outdo even drama shows like Game of Thrones with their twists. Personally, I always recommend that people start with reading about the Mongol Empire. It's an incredibly cool part of history and really shows how we ended up where we are now.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
How else are you gonna know you're right about all your politics, unless you know all the reasons the Roman empire collapsed was because of your opponent's ideology becoming dominant?

kikkelivelho
Aug 27, 2015

Here's the Mongol Empire at it's strongest. Many historians have argued that it was THE greatest empire in history, even eclipsing Rome itself in size, wealth and power. The Mongol armies were incredibly strong and enemies often surrendered even before the battle had started. Contrary to popular believes however the Mongols were quite peaceful and merciful as long as their rule was not questioned. There's an incredible amount of intrigue here, certainly enough for ten different full length TV shows. If you really want to like history, this is without a doubt the place to start. There really is nothing as amazing as this.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

I can't wait until I'm old enough to poo poo all over the incredible progress that people younger than me have accomplished and talk about how much better it was back in the day when I had to work all the time and people sincerely gave a poo poo about who poops in which room.

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

you can't fool me, that's the same drat guy wearing a different hat

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

there we actually only ~50 mongol soldiers but they just paraded them back and forth in different outfits

kikkelivelho
Aug 27, 2015

FuhrerHat posted:

there we actually only ~50 mongol soldiers but they just paraded them back and forth in different outfits

The Mongol armies actually had tens of thousands of soldiers split into heavy lancers, light mounted cavalry and auxiliary infantry. But don't let that stop you from spreading this bull

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

nah im pretty sure it was the guy from that picture and a couple of his hats

edit: i have a phd in history

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

just read about ww2 a bunch op

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005
Some nice ancient asian history here
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RG5mOd8Ubsk

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

just read the bible, it's all in there

resting mitch face
Apr 9, 2005

5) I hear you.
My (then 10 yr old) son watched a few episodes of drunk history with me and it got him interested in history.

I think history teachers should get drunk and lecture... If they don't already. I think I had one that did in college, and he was really good too.

Phlairdon
Apr 15, 2003

If you can't stand up you can't do war!
No joke, I learned more about 20th century history from The Onion's, "Our Dumb Century," then from any of my high school history classes.

whoflungpoop
Sep 9, 2004

With you and the constellations

kikkelivelho posted:

The Mongol armies actually had tens of thousands of soldiers split into heavy lancers, light mounted cavalry and auxiliary infantry. But don't let that stop you from spreading this bull

troop numbers from history are often comically exaggerated. its doubtful that the mongols ever fielded more than three, perhaps four dozen soldiers on any given campaign

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

whoflungpoop posted:

troop numbers from history are often comically exaggerated. its doubtful that the mongols ever fielded more than three, perhaps four dozen soldiers on any given campaign

And each had a variety of different costumes and hats so they'd slip behind trees and shrubbery, get changed and trick the enemy into thinking their numbers were an order of magnitude greater than they really were.

Phlairdon
Apr 15, 2003

If you can't stand up you can't do war!

kikkelivelho posted:

Here's the Mongol Empire at it's strongest. Many historians have argued that it was THE greatest empire in history, even eclipsing Rome itself in size, wealth and power. The Mongol armies were incredibly strong and enemies often surrendered even before the battle had started. Contrary to popular believes however the Mongols were quite peaceful and merciful as long as their rule was not questioned. There's an incredible amount of intrigue here, certainly enough for ten different full length TV shows. If you really want to like history, this is without a doubt the place to start. There really is nothing as amazing as this.

Think of it this way in terms of size, at the same time that German Templars and Japanese Samurai were fighting the Mongols, neither of the two cultures have had even heard of one another.

NomChompsky
Sep 17, 2008

You don't have to like history you just have to know it so that you're not a gullible gently caress who will believe anything anyone says because you have no past context to compare it to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

The most hilarious history class I ever took was the history of U.S. conspiracies and theories where we covered everything from Freemason murder abductions to the Illuminati assassination of Ol Dirty Bastard.

Really the best thing about being a history major was learning that everything has always been hosed up and crazy.

• Locked thread