Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Usenet Magic-User
Jun 13, 2010
This game is exciting for a lot of reasons. Its set in the survival genre which is synonymous with the word early access and a bar so low funcom will have trouble loving it up.
TLDR
Base building, killing, looting, crucifying prisoners, explosive base raiding, HELL YEAH its got it all.

Playing with goons
:five: This part is key.
Open world sandbox games that involve kicking over sandcastles and stealing the loot in them are best played with LOTS of goons.
To this extent we've got a great bunch of goons and friends playing Rust every week, Wurm Unlimited, and less open games like CSGO. As a community we are HYPE for Conan and really want to get the goon ball rolling.

Come join us in the BMW Discord found here:
:getin: http://fuckgoons.com/ :getin:

Goon run servers for goons by goons
Something Dongful
IP: 38.130.223.197:7777
-Dedicated server, Dual Intel Xeon X5650 2.66GHz (12 cores * 2), 32GB Ram, SSD

[CTS] Dedicated PvP (Midwest US)
-Dedicated Xenon E5-2609 8x2.399ghx 32Gb soon to be 64Gb. Only thing on the rig

[EU] The Riddle of Steel - PvP
88.99.0.69:27105
Hosted by Nitrous Networks - supposedly i7-4790, Unlimited Memory, 2 x 512GB SSD's in RAID 1, 2 x 1Gbps NIC's

GSF [PVP] Public Miami - Mittani's Wasteland
85.190.159.123:32000
50 max PVP
out of Miami

Stat calculator
https://zerapps.github.io/conan-stat-calculator/

The long cut mostly shamelessly ripped from http://www.conanexiles.com/

AN OPEN-WORLD SURVIVAL GAME
IN THE BRUTAL LANDS OF CONAN THE BARBARIAN
You are an exile, outcast and downtrodden, sentenced to walk in a barbaric wasteland where the weak are crushed and the strong survive. Here you must fight to survive, build and dominate on your own or in multiplayer.

Hungry, thirsty and alone, your very first battle is that against the harsh environment. Scavenge or hunt animals for food. Chop down trees, mine for minerals, and harvest resources to build weapons and tools. Build a shelter to survive the scouring sandstorms that sweep across the burning desert. Journey through a vast, seamless world alone or together with other players, and build entire settlements and strongholds to withstand fierce invasions.

March forth into battle and wage war against your enemies as you bring down their walls and invade their cities. Sacrifice enemy players on the altars of the gods and shift the balance of power your way. Unleash your fury in savage, fast-paced combat and execute bloody and bone-crushing attacks that will see heads rolling and limbs flying.

Early Access on the PC January 2017.
Full launch on PC and console to follow.

Key Features:

SURVIVE THE WORLD OF CONAN.
You think you know survival? Try surviving the savage world of Conan the Barbarian! Starting out with nothing but your bare hands and a torn loincloth, you will soon find yourself fighting off thirst, starvation, and ungodly monsters out to devour your insides!

HARVEST, CRAFT, AND BUILD.
Grow crops, chop down trees, crack open rocks to find rare minerals, and hunt exotic animals for valuable resources. Craft armor, items, weapons and tools, and build anything from small homes to crafting stations, gigantic fortresses, and even entire cities!

EXPLORE A SEAMLESS WORLD.
Journey through a huge, seamless world filled with danger and opportunity. Explore shadow haunted ruins full of monsters and treasure, traverse epic landscapes ranging from sand dunes to rivers and mountains, and seek out dangerous areas for rare resources and rewards!

CUTTING-EDGE GRAPHICS.
See the world of Conan brought to life with cutting-edge graphics! Watch your feet push through real-time simulated sand, find shelter from epic sandstorms that engulf the sky, and watch as the burning sun sets and gives way to a frozen, dangerous night.

SLAY AND DOMINATE YOUR ENEMIES.
In the world of Conan, strength rules. Unleash your fury in savage, fast-paced combat, and execute bone-crushing attacks that will see heads rolling, limbs flying and blood spraying! Wage war against your enemies and bring down their fortifications with explosives!

PLAY TOGETHER OR ALONE.
Be the ruler of your own world in single-player mode, or fight for survival and dominance in persistent multiplayer environments on public servers or on private servers where players have full control over the rules and settings.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gnL2cLMpnzA

Usenet Magic-User fucked around with this message at 10:05 on Feb 17, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Usenet Magic-User posted:

a bar so low funcom will have trouble loving it up

I'll take that bet.

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003
My body is ready

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013
I've enjoyed everything FunCom has ever put out and they have a lot of experience working with Hyboria so sure, have my $20 why not?

Disgusting Coward
Feb 17, 2014
How well will this game simulate mighty thews, square-cut manes, SURVIVING BLOWS THAT WOULD'VE KILLED ANY CIVILISED MAN and casual racism?

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

I seem to remember reading a Conan story where a wizard tries to cast a spell on him, but before he can Conan throws a chair at him and kills him. What I'm saying is I want this game to let me throw chairs at wizards.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
Yea sure, why not

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

I'm on board with this as long as nobody throws a chair in my face.

Taylor Swift
Feb 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
I cant wait to get angry at how bad this Early Access Survival game ends up being

mercenarynuker
Sep 10, 2008

Do we have to solve the Riddle of Steel, or has Conan already done that for us?

Usenet Magic-User
Jun 13, 2010
Let's temper our expectations from wizards even existing to a game like rust set in the Conan landscape hopefully with better fps and pve content than ark.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

Usenet Magic-User posted:

hopefully with better fps than ARK
Setting the bar really low, smart

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Taylor Swift posted:

I cant wait to get angry at how bad this Early Access Survival game ends up being

SweetBro
May 12, 2014

Did you read that sister?
Yes, truly a shitposter's post. I read it, Rem.
This looks like Mortal Online. Except has a studio that actually knows how to develop MMOs behind it. I don't know, I genuinely have faith in this. As much as the typical chronic autist here likes to rag on Funcom, they're light-years ahead of virtually any other studio that made a sandboxy-surival-game-thingy.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Taylor Swift posted:

Usenet Magic-User
Jun 13, 2010

SweetBro posted:

This looks like Mortal Online. Except has a studio that actually knows how to develop MMOs behind it. I don't know, I genuinely have faith in this. As much as the typical chronic autist here likes to rag on Funcom, they're light-years ahead of virtually any other studio that made a sandboxy-surival-game-thingy.

Yeah I like this genre a lot. Also I genuinely think this game will do well. All jokes aside all the current successful games are pretty unique and exploring what works and what doesn't. Seeing an experienced dev studio whos made mmos and understands this kind of world building with $$$ backing is really exciting. We haven't seen a AAA studio venture into the survival genre yet.

Ximen
Aug 18, 2013
So loving lit right now, I think I'll have to find my way into FunComs HQ to get a sneak peak of this.

Cynthia_Dutch
Dec 30, 2012
Yes please!!!

GoGoGadget
Apr 29, 2006

Read through the AMA that the devs did a few months back and gathered some info.
  • Aiming for 100 players per server, 53km squared world at launch, less in early access until they add in the other biomes
  • Human NPCs are in the game and seem to be important to it.
  • Purge system has NPC armies invading your lands
  • Crafting is one of the most important things in the game, as well as combat.
  • Crafting will have paths and you will not be able to learn everything (probably able to be changed per server) "For example, the brute crafting path lets you make maces and mauls, while the archer crafting path will let you make bows and arrows. You can always go back and learn other paths, but your points will be limited so you must make choices."
  • No wipes unless they are forced to do so for some unforseen reason.
  • Dev's creative vision for the game "falls somewhere between Ark and Skyrim - a world that preexisted and filled with NPC factions - who you beat to death and then build your own kingdom on their ashes. There are supernatural creatures, you shall see.
  • Clan and clan management will be in at early access, although probably not feature complete.
  • Third and first-person view
  • Combat system will be "like Skyrim/Vermintide. It is skill based, active blocking, positioning and tactical. And fatalities, of course."
  • Ability to capture and sacrifice NPCs/other players to a god of you/your clan's choice.
  • Able to see damage on character models/armor, such as dismemberment by hitting "at the right place with the right weapons"
  • Some sort of magic system tied to the religion you follow

Game is gonna kill Rust.

Taylor Swift
Feb 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

GoGoGadget posted:

Game is gonna killdesecrate the already bloated corpse of Rust.

GoGoGadget
Apr 29, 2006

Maybe in the US, but in the EU there are still thousands of players and a very healthy amount of modded servers.

Edit: 40,000 players today alone, 507,000 in the past two weeks according to Facepunch.

GoGoGadget fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Sep 27, 2016

Big Black Brony
Jul 11, 2008

Congratulations on Graduation Shnookums.
Love, Mom & Dad
Looks super awesome. I am curious to see what kind of goon hell castle is created.

Also we can we do some sort of African warlord thing where we force conscription, or death?

Usenet Magic-User
Jun 13, 2010
Yeah I am really hype they are looking at ark for server models. I really like the fully persistent worlds. The diverse crafting looks good to. Finally a game that embraces clan play and doesn't shun them as bad zerg humans.

Orv
May 4, 2011
A survival PvP thing with melee combat that isn't just waving sticks at each others body until someone dies would be cool.

Thus ends my hopes and dreams for this game, I'm at least willing to give it a chance to be more though.

Also the idea that the C4/base destruction equivalent is just a flaming arrow and some cow poo poo amphorae is hilarious to me.

Orv fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Sep 28, 2016

AlmightyBob
Sep 8, 2003

Is this only a desert map? Because Conan has every environmental setting possible in it's lore

Orv
May 4, 2011
That AMA says the word biomes so I assume so?

Taylor Swift
Feb 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
The map is going to be huge by survival game standards, so I would assume it would vary. Can yall imagine having our Goon army living in the swamps or jungles in our castles that we took from the filthy tribals. Im hard already.

GoGoGadget
Apr 29, 2006

No, the desert is just where you start and what EA will have at first. They said they are adding other biome throughout the EA period and already have screenshots of them.

Usenet Magic-User
Jun 13, 2010

GoGoGadget posted:

No, the desert is just where you start and what EA will have at first. They said they are adding other biome throughout the EA period and already have screenshots of them.

They also mentioned increasing max server pop as they add biomes. So I wonder if 100 pop was full release or start of EA.

Usenet Magic-User
Jun 13, 2010
http://blog.conanexiles.com/en/an-update-on-conan-exiles/

New blog post from developers, EA still on schedule for January

GoGoGadget
Apr 29, 2006

Looks pretty good. What's the Thrall system they mentioned?

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

I'd guess NPCs you control, similar to tamed dinos in ARK

Rejdukien
Jul 24, 2008
http://www.pcgamer.com/conan-exiles...uffer-pcgamertw

quote:

Conan Exiles is due to enter Steam's Early Access initiative on January 31, 2017.

There's also a new trailer which shows you being able to drag people around with a rope, which arguably was the best feature of another game called Reign of Kings.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C8Wr3C2wpSo

Usenet Magic-User
Jun 13, 2010
Nice, lots of twitter updates and AMA events. Still promising to start EA in January should be exciting to see.

biggfoo
Sep 12, 2005

My god, it's full of :jeb:!
2016 Funcom at it again. This will be a fun ride. Will there be fishing?

SweetBro
May 12, 2014

Did you read that sister?
Yes, truly a shitposter's post. I read it, Rem.

biggfoo posted:

2016 Funcom at it again. This will be a fun ride. Will there be fishing?

Well there are fishes in the game so presumably.

The real question is: "do I deal extra damage for dick shots?"

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

The summer 2015 primitive ARK experience finally returns

as a completely different game

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
actually sounds pretty baller

Mr. Torrance
Sep 16, 2006
Have you ever thought about MY RESPONSIBILITIES?
I'm happy to see a survival game without guns or future tech.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boho
Oct 4, 2011

on fire and loving it

SweetBro posted:

Except has a studio that actually knows how to develop MMOs behind it.

That's exactly what it doesn't have.

• Locked thread