Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Mr. Torrance posted:

I'm happy to see a survival game without guns or future tech.
Yea guns and space bullshit is the last thing multiplayer dinosaur game needed

Jackard fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Nov 29, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoGoGadget
Apr 29, 2006

Honestly, I've been looking forward to a game like ARK but without the huge focus on dinosaurs. Seems you may be able to have pets/mounts at some point with this, but thankfully they won't be the PvP focus.

Mr. Torrance
Sep 16, 2006
Have you ever thought about MY RESPONSIBILITIES?

boho posted:

That's exactly what it doesn't have.

Anarchy Online, Age of Conan and The Secret World are still up and running I think.

They're far from the best but they're not bottom of the barrel poo poo like the companies responsible for Mortal Online and Darkfall.

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound
Age of Conan was very graphically impressive when it first came out, did the artistic feel of the series perfectly, and had ok mechanics. Probably my third-fav MMO.

GoGoGadget
Apr 29, 2006

I'm glad this ISN'T an MMORPG. Pretty sure I'll never play another one of those again in my life.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Watch out for de picts!

Mr. Torrance
Sep 16, 2006
Have you ever thought about MY RESPONSIBILITIES?

new phone who dis posted:

Age of Conan was very graphically impressive when it first came out, did the artistic feel of the series perfectly, and had ok mechanics. Probably my third-fav MMO.

As long as there's no need to grind cannibals in a remote cavern it should do ok!

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

Disgusting Coward posted:

How well will this game simulate mighty thews, square-cut manes, SURVIVING BLOWS THAT WOULD'VE KILLED ANY CIVILISED MAN and casual racism?

The grotesqueness of a character generator unbound by a rational and sane maximum and minimum limit on the sliders, hair customization, making it so that numbers pop up over your head to indicate damage instead of something more realistic, and relying on the personality of the average gamer that'd take an interest in the game due to its setting.

Dehumanize and face to lazy game design ideas.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Nov 30, 2016

Vhak lord of hate
Jun 6, 2008

I AM DRINK THE BLOOD OF JESUS

Mr. Torrance posted:

As long as there's no need to grind cannibals in a remote cavern it should do ok!

Grinding cannibal caves as the only way to level quickly burned through any goodwill that game had gained from being able to kick people off bridges with mounts or block doors.

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost
What's the boob situation tho

GoGoGadget
Apr 29, 2006

Nechronic posted:

Most likely a boob slider. No word on boob physics.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

Nechronic posted:

If they're taking a cue from Age of Conan than the boobs will be on full display.

Also of a default size that you can optionally permanently expand to nearly comical sizes by buying a cash shop item.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Sodomy Non Sapiens posted:

I'll take that bet.

Usenet Magic-User
Jun 13, 2010
Devs put out some new stuff and character generation. Looks like its going to be that fresh out of the bag ark feel without dinos and maybe some magic weapons and monsters to fight. I guess the towns are npc owned to start with but you can push them out, my hype is 10/10 right now.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Honestly all I want is an Ark-like that finally has combat that's not a glitchy, laggy mess. If they can deliver on that front, most of the rest barely even matters.

Orv
May 4, 2011
It'd be nice if it also ran reliably on systems that should be able to run it, instead of being a complete roll of the dice whether it plays nice with your computer.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

So that stream showing the early part of the game/character creation is up on youtube. It's long.

First impressions are that they've managed to top Age of Conan's level of edginess in the intro. Instead of customizing your character as they're busy being enslaved as a sex slave or chattel slave they just straight up have you do your character customization while you're being crucified.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7LU_cs3vpws&t=237s

At least it's equal opportunity in its teenage edginess this time. :v:

Archonex fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Dec 11, 2016

Orv
May 4, 2011
That is some survival-rear end survival game.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
They skipped the physique section of the character creator because there are "surprises" that "people have been asking about". So there are most certainly going to be dicks and titties and weirdo neckbeards are not going to be creepy about it at all.

Orv
May 4, 2011
That video already veered into creepy every fix or six minutes, so I look forward to how much worse it can get.

GoGoGadget
Apr 29, 2006

1stGear posted:

They skipped the physique section of the character creator because there are "surprises" that "people have been asking about". So there are most certainly going to be dicks and titties and weirdo neckbeards are not going to be creepy about it at all.

Rust has dicks and pussies and I haven't noticed anyone being TOO weird about it. Besides comparing dick sizes (because they are randomized.)

GET INTO DA CHOPPA
Nov 22, 2007
D:
The Conan Community manager (the guy on the left in the video) is a friend of mine. Watching him in uncomfortable situations is fun.

GoGoGadget
Apr 29, 2006

GET INTO DA CHOPPA posted:

The Conan Community manager (the guy on the left in the video) is a friend of mine. Watching him in uncomfortable situations is fun.

Have you been a part of the alpha or anything, then?

Taylor Swift
Feb 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

GET INTO DA CHOPPA posted:

Tell him if they need to test Goon Zerg Rushs I got just the men for the job.

GoGoGadget
Apr 29, 2006

Taylor Swift posted:

Early Access starts at the end of January. Will BMW rise again from the ashes, like a shining, gay phoenix?

GET INTO DA CHOPPA
Nov 22, 2007
D:
Apparently a closed friends and family testing run starts this week. I haven't read up on it yet, but I expect there to be some NDA involved. Will report back.

Taylor Swift posted:

Cannibal picts incoming.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
I trust funcom with this like Conan's dad trusted steel (he died)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GVx4LafsvSU

Usenet Magic-User
Jun 13, 2010

GoGoGadget posted:

Early Access starts at the end of January. Will BMW rise again from the ashes, like a shining, gay phoenix?

Rise is a strong word but we will absolutely be rolling in full force with pubbie death squads.

Usenet Magic-User
Jun 13, 2010

Glenn Quebec posted:

I trust funcom with this like Conan's dad trusted steel (he died)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GVx4LafsvSU

Some goons are in the friends and family beta and liking it a lot. The current bar is so low in this genre funcom having actually made games is a plus here.

c0rndog
Nov 22, 2016

Taylor Swift posted:

I cant wait to get angry at how bad this Early Access Survival game ends up being

I cant wait to see how you gently caress this one up!

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Taylor Swift
Feb 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

c0rndog posted:

I cant wait to see how you gently caress this one up!

It took me over a year to kill Goon Rust. I think its safe to say Conan has 2-3 years before I find a way to ruin it for everyone.

GoGoGadget
Apr 29, 2006

This game isn't even in early access yet and already seems to have more to do than Rust does. Probably going to be a little harder to gently caress up.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
im probably going to play this

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
How poorly you think this is gonna run? Seems to be using same engine as ARK

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Jackard posted:

who knows, UE4 is actually really great in spite of how bad ARK runs

GET INTO DA CHOPPA
Nov 22, 2007
D:

Jackard posted:

It runs much better than Ark did on low end computers, at least.

Edit: My 3 years old laptop with a Nvidia GeForce GTX 765M runs it at ~30-40 fps at low.
On my stationary with a GeForce 970 it is 60+ on ultra.

GET INTO DA CHOPPA fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Dec 30, 2016

Elmon
Aug 20, 2013

Usenet Magic-User posted:

HARVEST, CRAFT, AND BUILD.
Grow crops

Can't wait to play Harvest Exiles! (Am actually stupidly attached to farming in games)

GoGoGadget
Apr 29, 2006

Arcland posted:

Can't wait to play Harvest Exiles! (Am actually stupidly attached to farming in games)

I hope this game tones down the farming requirements compared to ARK, though. The Dev stream that focused on building seemed to imply a lot of the higher tier stuff required a lot of time and dedication, so maybe not.

At least there's no multi hour dinosaur tames!

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

SweetBro posted:

This looks like Mortal Online. Except has a studio that actually knows how to develop MMOs behind it. I don't know, I genuinely have faith in this. As much as the typical chronic autist here likes to rag on Funcom, they're light-years ahead of virtually any other studio that made a sandboxy-surival-game-thingy.

That's what they said about SOE and H1Z1. But apparently that's doing well for them so who knows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Wow. Funcom character creation STILL crazy limited. What else is new?

• Locked thread