Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Orv
May 4, 2011
Could anything matter less to this game?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
Dude I like a robust character creator for my unique Mary Sue who will be invariably covered in armor

Taylor Swift
Feb 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Character creator is arguably the most important feature hth

Orv
May 4, 2011

Glenn Quebec posted:

Dude I like a robust character creator for my unique Mary Sue who will be invariably covered in armor

It's Funcom's Conan, so probably not that covered.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

Looking forward to the laggy rear end servers as I try to first person hit something but with poo poo jumping around I'll have no idea where to go.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

And then the impending servers combining because like all MMOs in TYOOL 2017 there will be no subscribers after one month

Orv
May 4, 2011
I feel like you've missed a critical piece of information here.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

Is it f2p?

Orv
May 4, 2011
B2P with no sub, but it's a survive-em-up so it'll be discrete 30-100 or whatever person servers, it's not an MMO infrastructure thing. Same thing as Ark, DayZ or any of the nine trillion others.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

That actually sounds cool.

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

the character creation looks miles better then my only other experience with survival games, ark
i don't know if i'd buy this, but i'll be paying attention. i really don't like the whole early access model though, has any survival game ever come out of early access?

GoGoGadget
Apr 29, 2006

I don't know how anyone that has looked at this game at all can think it's an MMORPG

GoGoGadget
Apr 29, 2006

AriadneThread posted:

the character creation looks miles better then my only other experience with survival games, ark
i don't know if i'd buy this, but i'll be paying attention. i really don't like the whole early access model though, has any survival game ever come out of early access?

Don't think so! But this developer has already launched games and has already stated they do not plan to be in EA for much more than a year.

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

GoGoGadget posted:

Don't think so! But this developer has already launched games and has already stated they do not plan to be in EA for much more than a year.

i mean, being an established developer is a point in their favor, but didn't the ark guys say the same thing though
i'll believe it when it happens

Prostheticfoot
Mar 27, 2002
Yeah it's getting up to the next "release date" for ark I think. Lotta promise there, but kind of a piece of poo poo to play sometimes. This looks a lot better, closer to the primitive plus of ark. I'm ready to take a break from bird wars personally. Any Xbox groups in the making?

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

AriadneThread posted:

i mean, being an established developer is a point in their favor, but didn't the ark guys say the same thing though
i'll believe it when it happens
Funcom not getting sued like Wildcard should help

Prostheticfoot
Mar 27, 2002

Jackard posted:

Funcom not getting sued like Wildcard should help

I mean granted it was a LOT of money from that suit, but a) they hosed up by having that guy work under a non-compete 2)they've made a significant amount of capital from steam, Ms, and now Sony that isn't quite to the point of BP writing off four days profits to clean an oil spill but is more than enough to cover development costs and D)extreme rubberbanding and logging in stuck under the foundation you logged out of while your base loads is something I'd expect to go unfixed for a few months tops not the whole EA period.

This Conan game looks like it could be the better parts of ark distilled, with some fun end game. I'll prob still keep an ark presence to harvest tears transferring in an iron Man suit and wrecking poo poo with tek tier, but I haven't goon swarmed since eve got me sick of PC gaming

GoGoGadget
Apr 29, 2006

Prostheticfoot posted:

Yeah it's getting up to the next "release date" for ark I think. Lotta promise there, but kind of a piece of poo poo to play sometimes. This looks a lot better, closer to the primitive plus of ark. I'm ready to take a break from bird wars personally. Any Xbox groups in the making?

Xbox EA isn't until Spring

Orv
May 4, 2011
Actually went and watched the other two streams they did, I feel that itch to play lovely survival games like a dumb idiot again, so gently caress me.

My main hope is that making an actual combat system will mean PvP is a meaningful affair instead of the weird scrabbling, jumping, ducking and weaving lag affair survival game combat tends to be.

Taylor Swift
Feb 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Friendly Reminder: We've got the main chill guy crews in the SA Discord and for the HELLSPERGS who are ready to poopsock day one and steamroll pubbies, BMW Discord.

There's whispers of a Day One Goon server, so we may even be seeing the most noble of pursuits: Goon vs Goon :getin:

SA_Avenger
Oct 22, 2012

GoGoGadget posted:

I don't know how anyone that has looked at this game at all can think it's an MMORPG

I was hoping for some sort of action narrative Conan using the same combat than in Age of Conan... I'll never have the time to play a survival game >_< but well if it's really good who knows.

Martout
Aug 8, 2007

None so deprived
love me some conan universe games but the pvp combat in the latest dev stream was not very impressive, the rubberbanding pretty intense

conan stuff is basically the one thing that could potentially make me give a poo poo about a survival game thing too

GoGoGadget
Apr 29, 2006

It's almost time, boys and girls. Early Access launches 0600 CET on the 31st or 0900 EST 30th for the US. Will this be the game that finally unites the ARK goon group with the Rust goon group?

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

I look forward to shirtlessly standing in the desert while blasting the Conan the Barbarian soundtrack on loop.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Doesn't 53 square KM seem pretty big for only 100 players? I dunno I haven't played many of the survival games that are hosted like this.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

I'm getting the vibe from the little bit that I've read, that this is going to be an NPC intensive game as well.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
if you are reading this thread you probably came in here hoping it would be really bad and you could maybe talk yourself out of playing it

but you know you are going to buy it anyway, so, just dehumanize and face to conan

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

BadLlama posted:

Doesn't 53 square KM seem pretty big for only 100 players? I dunno I haven't played many of the survival games that are hosted like this.
The island map from ARK is 36, 48 if you count the ocean.

The center map is around 70.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

CROM LAUGHS at your four winds.

Percelus
Sep 9, 2012

My command, your wish is

too bad crom is the worst god to pick http://blog.conanexiles.com/en/dev-blog-11-religion-avatars-conan-exiles/

are goons going to eat people as yog cannibals or just sacrifice them to their snake god set?

Rejdukien
Jul 24, 2008

BadLlama posted:

In the first early access version the map's gonna be restricted to the desert starting area, which isn't quite that big:

I guess later as the map gets expanded and if the servers aren't choking down performance wise, the limit's going to get increased.
Also I'd wager to say that the playerlimit only applies to official servers, and even if the slider is capped at 100 at launch, there's surely going to be a mod to lift the limit and let you set whatever you want for your own server.

Orv
May 4, 2011
The last stream made me real unsure about this. The combat was totally hosed and NPCs were nearly non-functional. I'll probably still buy it because my lust for low effort griefing had been rekindled and I'm stupid, but I'm still worried.

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

it's never going to leave early access, i'm convinced now

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

Orv posted:

The last stream made me real unsure about this. The combat was totally hosed and NPCs were nearly non-functional. I'll probably still buy it because my lust for low effort griefing had been rekindled and I'm stupid, but I'm still worried.
I figured there was a reason every single one of their trailers showed the combat in slow motion.

GoGoGadget
Apr 29, 2006

Rejdukien posted:

In the first early access version the map's gonna be restricted to the desert starting area, which isn't quite that big:

I guess later as the map gets expanded and if the servers aren't choking down performance wise, the limit's going to get increased.
Also I'd wager to say that the playerlimit only applies to official servers, and even if the slider is capped at 100 at launch, there's surely going to be a mod to lift the limit and let you set whatever you want for your own server.

It's actually 70, isn't it?

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
if you opened this thread you are probably the type of person that plays bad games

just face up to the fact that you will eventually cave and buy this possibly bad game and pick it up now

and if that didnt convince you

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zeRQD0tK8h0

Dimo ArKacho
Sep 12, 2008

I'm not creative enough to come up with something good

eonwe posted:

if you opened this thread you are probably the type of person that plays bad games

just face up to the fact that you will eventually cave and buy this possibly bad game and pick it up now

and if that didnt convince you

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zeRQD0tK8h0

Game looks pretty, combat looks pretty poo poo, can't wait to play.

Taylor Swift
Feb 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
So the Bimmers are going to do an all nighter tomorrow. We could always use more cannon fodderfriends.

http://discord.fuckgoons.com

Tangerines
Apr 25, 2016

I'm a sucker for bad games so I will buy this to play at launch with goons before we burn out and ditch it next week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

AriadneThread posted:

Minecraft did after like a decade

• Locked thread