Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
That Robot
Sep 16, 2004

ask me anything about robots
Buglord

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

Chicago's mighty walls shall ne'er be breached by The South.

it is a yankee city through and through, yes

:69snypa:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
What do you have against john cusack op :mad:

Jim Barris
Aug 13, 2009
cuck isnt a new word at all its in loving shakespeare and poo poo

Jim Barris
Aug 13, 2009
personally I like that now it's fairly common parlance to describe ratty trashy people as 'ratchet'

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

quote:

WRONG. you NEVER apologise for going hard at the gym. The correct response is "HEY FUCKHEADS, I LEAKED SOME SWOLEJUICE ON THE FLOOR BACK THERE BETTER GET ONE OF YOUR TWINKS TO GO MOP IT UP BEFORE IT MAKES SOME BITCH GROW A COCK"
Who gives a gently caress about vomit, the gym PAYS some loser MONEY to get a bucket and mop and clean that poo poo up. If more people vomited from training then we would be a swoler society.

is that how you conjugate swole

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Jim Barris posted:

personally I like that now it's fairly common parlance to describe ratty trashy people as 'ratchet'

wretched

Jim Barris
Aug 13, 2009

I wonder if that is the origin, 'ratchet' being a bastardized version of 'wretched'. It seems plausible.

El Boot
Mar 18, 2009

Thank Dog It's Friday

Gay Weed Dad posted:

As far as I know it's a Southern thing. I had a friend in HS who would say 'fitting to' in lieu of 'going to' or 'I'd like to' so I don't think this is new, but more of a thing that has been held in regional dialects (where it belongs).

fixing* to, you gently caress

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
i didnt even like "sexting" but at least that one had a very specific purpose
all these other ones are just crap

a dog from hell
Oct 18, 2009

by zen death robot
Goons hate southerners and children and are mean-spirited nerds.

drowned in pussy juice
Oct 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Jim Barris posted:

I wonder if that is the origin, 'ratchet' being a bastardized version of 'wretched'. It seems plausible.

I sort of assumed the poster has been mishearing the word 'ratshit' but this is kind of plausible as well

Nonviolent J
Jul 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Soiled Meat
breaking news: goons mad at popular things by younger generation once again

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

LP0 ON FIRE posted:

The new c word that ends in "ck" and "swole". I never want to say either of them, ever. The new c word sounds like a disgusting combination between "oval office" and "gently caress", and leaves a bad taste in my mouth just reading it. "Swole" doesn't even sound like a word for being strong. Sounds like "swan". Swans are pretty but are wusses.

Come up with some better words god damnit.

You clearly just ain't woke, my man.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Nonviolent J posted:

breaking news: goons mad at popular things by younger generation once again

It is interesting to think that people who are the general goon age are getting angry at slang terms like 'ratchet' etc in the same way that people at one time got mad about words we (edit: as a society I mean) consider completely normal like 'dude'. It's surprisingly hard to fight that inner voice that says "but it sounds stupid when they do it so it's different", it's like a logical fallacy built right into your brain.

also, the op still hasn't answered me re: why he has a vendetta against john cusack and i'm upset. he is a perfectly solid actor, man!

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 11:52 on Sep 20, 2016

a dog from hell
Oct 18, 2009

by zen death robot
Ratchet is especially egregious because it's been in mainstream use since 2012.

ductonius
Apr 9, 2007
I heard there's a cream for that...
"fleek"

I've read it's a combination of "fly" and "sleek", but then it's also used as "on fleek" to mean "on point". So is it a lovely portmanteau or a lovely way of saying something we already have words for? Both?

Sponge Baathist
Jan 30, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
I sometimes get confused when i hear people in public talking about 'trap' with little context but a lot of preconceptions. I know it's music now but ' trap house' paints at least two different scenarios in my head.

The Dennis System
Aug 4, 2014

Nothing in Jurassic World is natural, we have always filled gaps in the genome with the DNA of other animals. And if the genetic code was pure, many of them would look quite different. But you didn't ask for reality, you asked for more teeth.

Jim Barris posted:

Ratchet is a video game character.

a dog from hell
Oct 18, 2009

by zen death robot
All of these words yall hate are just black people making poo poo up because they like the way it sounds.

Man Whore
Jan 6, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT SPHERICAL CATS
=3

yeah but some slang is destined for death after 10 years so its okay to hate them. No ones says "gag me with a spoon" or "grody" anymore for good reason

scuba school sucks
Aug 30, 2012

The brilliance of my posting illuminates the forums like a jar of shining gold when all around is dark

The Dennis System posted:

Ratchet is a video game character.

He's got sharp teeth... wonder if he bites?

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
My sister in law says poo poo like, "turnt up" and "high key." Here is an example of a real sentence I've heard:

"This party I was at was turnt up but I high key don't like the girl who was hosting it."

She's a freshman in college.

a dog from hell
Oct 18, 2009

by zen death robot

Blacktoll posted:

My sister in law says poo poo like, "turnt up" and "high key." Here is an example of a real sentence I've heard:

"This party I was at was turnt up but I high key don't like the girl who was hosting it."

She's a freshman in college.

Well... that may just be evidence of low IQ. Sorry about what this means for the genetic potential of your offspring.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
Thanks hell dog, I'm worried too which is why I'm barreling down a path of heavy drinking.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
fam is said by shithead millenials and shithead gen y people who dont realize they are becoming dads in realtime

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
op taking big L's in here for not being woke enough to finesse 2016 hype memes like a little fuckboy

PS. swole is not a new word it's been around since at least early 2000's with the same meaning you retard

Jim Barris
Aug 13, 2009
I just want to be clear because I feel I've been misunderstood. I like the term 'ratchet' and in fact use it all the time because the way I talk in real life is a very different voice from how I type.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
Heard a peer call going to the opera "bougie as gently caress." Where "bougie" in this context is a diminutive of bourgeois.
I'd like to add "bougie" to the list.

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
bougie has been around for loving decades dude.

a bone to pick fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Sep 20, 2016

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
If you filter "fam" to "my good sire *tips fedora*" it's pretty funny

ButtPoopPoopyyGoku3
Aug 10, 2009

notZaar posted:

If you filter "fam" to "my good sire *tips fedora*" it's pretty funny

I think filtering anything to "my good sire *tips fedora*" would be pretty funny

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
Yeah but especially fam because it's often used in an insincere manner while attempting to front a casual uncaring attitude.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

im getting swole

making mad gains fam

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

i probably say harsh, savage, and ruthless wayyyy to often

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

and "send it"

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

amityville anus posted:

I sometimes get confused when i hear people in public talking about 'trap' with little context but a lot of preconceptions. I know it's music now but ' trap house' paints at least two different scenarios in my head.

a trap house is where you buy drugs

trap and trapping also means prostitution

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Trap girl is also a slang term for a succulent transexual

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Alan Smithee posted:

fam is said by shithead millenials and shithead gen y people who dont realize they are becoming dads in realtime

are these different groups now

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
Trap means a boy prostitute pretending to be a girl prostitute

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

i assure you thats not the kind of trap they are talking about in trap rap

• Locked thread