Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
I feel like this was a game that I enjoyed watching, but not one that I'd have had a lot of fun playing. :v:

As to the LP itself, I was pretty fine with the level and tone of commentary. Could maybe have stood to have a BIT more of it, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
Thanks for the feedback on the commentary, glad to know I managed to convey some of what I was going for. :D

PurpleXVI posted:

As to the LP itself, I was pretty fine with the level and tone of commentary. Could maybe have stood to have a BIT more of it, though.
To be honest, most of the time I was worried I was talking too much, especially during that stretch of the game where you don't have companions so I had noone to bounce off of (which also meant more time to 'fill' with comments) and I was struggling to not do 'running commentary' on what was happening on screen. Any time I'd be rewatching an episode before doing the final encoding and I caught a "let's see what's over here" or one of its variations I'd suck air between my teeth and checked if I could replace it for something else. That's how the rants came into life, halfway into Regina I realised there was a 2 minute stretch where gently caress all was happening and decided to yap about The Three Musketeers. :v: Commentary is hard. :(

inscrutable horse posted:

My one complaint comes down to personal preference: Sometimes I feel you cut the videos a bit too short, by adhering too strictly to the beginning and end of a level.
Oh, I agree. That was more a function of my 'mise en place' before I started the LP than an artistic decision, as it were. I looked up a list of the levels and made the video links for the OP with that in mind, so if I wanted to do Reich/Separation in a single video, for example (I thought about it), I'd have to redo all link images and then relink everything in the OP/individual posts.

Which shows a lack of planning on my part, since it means I didn't research the duration of the individual episodes; I played the first few, thought 15 mins was a nice sweet spot and went for it thinking they would be all about the same length. =/

Xander77 posted:

That's a neat bit of editing at the start there :)
:D I got the idea a couple days ago while showing the Farcry 3 intro to a couple of friends; I wanted to do a "Best of Dark Railtracer" of sorts for that ending and thought the song fit the bill perfectly. It was a fun little Premiere project.

Regarding future LPs... I had a few ideas, but both of those have already been done here in the forums. I know there's been a lot of duplicate LPs over the years (there are 8 Dark Souls and 6 Dark Souls 3 LPs, for example), but the games I was considering have subtitled LPs as well, which is probably what I'd be going for, and I'm not sure how different I could make any potential LP to justify having another one; it's not like I'd be doing super high level playing so other than showing off the game the only thing I'd have going for myself would be the commentary.
I'll sleep on it I guess. I'm still riding the 'actually finished an LP' high for this one right now. :v:

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

I thought the LP was pretty great, especially for a first try. Additionally, I really liked the balance that you have struck in the serious/goofy and too "quiet"/too "loud" scale. I don't have any complaints, really.

George Rouncewell
Jul 20, 2007

You think that's illegal? Heh, watch this.
Hey this was a good loving LP

Dooky Dingo
Feb 17, 2011

Gym badge day is a VERY dangerous day!
Great LP, Ed. :cheers:

Aeromancia
Jul 23, 2013
This was a wonderful LP, great job Ed!

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

It's not what it looks like.
Really enjoyed the LP! Thank you very much

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I liked it a lot! I didn't really have a problem with splitting the episodes up by level, that let the game retain its pacing.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

As debut LPs go, this was pretty great. I can't think of any major critiques off the top of my head.

I am now curious. Why is Miller called Miller? That's... not a Russian name.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Samovar posted:

As debut LPs go, this was pretty great. I can't think of any major critiques off the top of my head.

I am now curious. Why is Miller called Miller? That's... not a Russian name.
It's actually a nickname - "Melnik" (which... means Miller, obviously). However, Russia has a fairly substantial German-descended population, so Miller / Muller would not be that unlikely..

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

Edmond Dantes posted:

Regarding future LPs... I had a few ideas, but both of those have already been done here in the forums. I know there's been a lot of duplicate LPs over the years (there are 8 Dark Souls and 6 Dark Souls 3 LPs, for example), but the games I was considering have subtitled LPs as well, which is probably what I'd be going for, and I'm not sure how different I could make any potential LP to justify having another one; it's not like I'd be doing super high level playing so other than showing off the game the only thing I'd have going for myself would be the commentary.
I'll sleep on it I guess. I'm still riding the 'actually finished an LP' high for this one right now. :v:

Where's that image...

Oh, yes.

:justpost:

Don't worry about what other people have already LP'd or what you can bring to the table that they didn't. I'd definitely tune in, because I like your style of LP and commentary, and I especially like the fact that you do subtitled videos rather than dubbed-over. If you'd have fun doing the LP, do it.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

What he said. But just to let you know, do not feel as if you SHOULD do subtitles either, you wanna voice-over, that's cool too.

(Though subtitles do help the game talk for itself, it has to be said)

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
Thanks everyone for the kind words, I'm really glad y'all enjoyed the LP. :3:

I'll be taking next week off and probably coming back the other Monday to start with the DLC stuff.

Focus will be on the 3 main story missions: Anna, Pavel and Kahn, and I'll be playing them in that (chronological) order; they will be done as the rest of the videos from the main game, and will probably be alternated with the 4 stand-alone missions from the Factions pack. Those I will approach in a more relaxed manner and not so much 're-record a single episode 5 times because the bloody guard wouldn't trigger his conversation'. So expect to see me die and hit continue at least once. :v:

Finally we have The Tower Pack and the Developer Pack, which I'm not sure how to show off but I'll figure something out.

PurpleXVI posted:

:justpost:
Don't worry about what other people have already LP'd or what you can bring to the table that they didn't. I'd definitely tune in, because I like your style of LP and commentary, and I especially like the fact that you do subtitled videos rather than dubbed-over. If you'd have fun doing the LP, do it.

Samovar posted:

What he said. But just to let you know, do not feel as if you SHOULD do subtitles either, you wanna voice-over, that's cool too.

(Though subtitles do help the game talk for itself, it has to be said)
It's not thinking I have to do subbed LPs as much as it is feeling I found my 'style' for LPing (he said, after completing one LP and never having done a voiced one). Any future projects are still a ways off for now, so I have time to try some stuff out. And some of the DLC videos may be perfect for this :unsmigghh:

Or is it Sputnik
Aug 22, 2009

Oh, Ho-oh oh oh, oh whoa oh oh oh
I'll get 'em caught, show Oak what I've got
This time the good ending is the canon one :unsmith:

I voted for Chronicles + just showing off the other ones.

I thought subtitles worked fine for Metro - there's so much dialogue that you don't want to talk over. But both the form of the LP and the commentary depends on what kind of game you're showing off, in my opinion.

I didn't like the few times you used slang. I don't think it looks good in writing, but this is a VERY personal preference.

inflatablefish
Oct 24, 2010

Edmond Dantes posted:

To be honest, most of the time I was worried I was talking too much, especially during that stretch of the game where you don't have companions so I had noone to bounce off of (which also meant more time to 'fill' with comments) and I was struggling to not do 'running commentary' on what was happening on screen. Any time I'd be rewatching an episode before doing the final encoding and I caught a "let's see what's over here" or one of its variations I'd suck air between my teeth and checked if I could replace it for something else. That's how the rants came into life, halfway into Regina I realised there was a 2 minute stretch where gently caress all was happening and decided to yap about The Three Musketeers. :v: Commentary is hard. :(

I think you did a superb job on this LP, and you pretty much nailed the commentary. Thank you!

quote:

Justify schmustify, if you'd enjoy making them then we'd enjoy watching them.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
:siren: Update time! :siren:

Where things get heated.

We're back! This mission is from the "Developer Pack" DLC, and if the name didn't tip you off, it has spiders. Lots of spiders. Ludicrous amounts as of spiders. You've been warned.

Updates with the DLC missions will probably be cropping up once a week instead of twice; most of the missions are about a half hour long and it's taking me quite a bit of time to record and subtitle them. Anna will be coming next, followed by Heavy Squad, where I'll be trying out something new, so apologies in advance. :v:

/edit: Oh, forgot to mention: all DLC updates will be on the Redux version of the game. Just a little FYI, there aren't any differences gameplay-wise.

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?
I'm at work now, so I can't watch the update, but I remember this as a tight, fun little level. It also neatly serves as an illustration to how hosed humanity really is by the brave new world... and why Artyom is considered a Big Goddamn Hero for traveling as far as he has.

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010
It's a good thing that I only hate spiders, and am not afraid of them.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

resurgam40 posted:

I'm at work now, so I can't watch the update, but I remember this as a tight, fun little level. It also neatly serves as an illustration to how hosed humanity really is by the brave new world... and why Artyom is considered a Big Goddamn Hero for traveling as far as he has.
It is... on a first playthrough. While replaying through it and then working on the subtitles I started realising there's just... not a lot going on. You have one enemy type, two guns, and that's it. All tension from not having guns goes out the window as soon as you get the flamethrower, and even before that it's not really hard to keep the spiders away (or just kill them) with your flashlight, it's just busywork. At one point they force you to use a mask, but filters are never an issue and I never even had my mask cracked, let alone broken. Again, this is not immediately evident, but you can see me getting increasingly frustrated with the decisions as the level goes on.

They grabbed a concept (spiders + flamethrower) and made a level out of it. It's fun enough, but it works much better while playing it and just falls kinda flat on a replay. I'd have preferred if they had cut the length in half and just turned everything else to 11: give me a duplet or a shambler instead of the ashot, no ambient lights, flashlight only, and put spiders everywhere, not just 2 at a time. Because as it is, it's kinda easy for a survival piece and not varied enough for an action-y one.

bman in 2288 posted:

It's a good thing that I only hate spiders, and am not afraid of them.
This will be cathartic then. :flame:

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Fire is pretty.

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010
Fire is also hot.

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

I shall devour your soul.
Grimey Drawer
Fire

Dooky Dingo
Feb 17, 2011

Gym badge day is a VERY dangerous day!
Did anyone else get a bit of an "Aliens" vibe?
A bunch of fighters full of confidence drop into a hostile environment, get their butts handed to them, and then just decide to burn the whole place down with a flamethrower.
Even the "cocooning" and the egg pods all seem to just point back at Aliens at all times.

Wa11y
Jul 23, 2002

Did I say "cookies?" I meant, "Fire in your face!"
World burning....

Only registered members can see post attachments!

sethimothy
Nov 1, 2006

Nyu for 1d4 points of damage
I watch your videos from the subscription but I figured I'd actually subscribe to this thread now so, here we are! Keep up the good work man.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Where we learn the other side of the story.

This is the first mission of the Chronicles Pack DLC, and takes place alongside mission 2 (Ashes) of the base game.

Oh, I forgot to link this when I posted the Red Square update. Here's a picture of the real-life Red Square:

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Edmond Dantes posted:

Oh, I forgot to link this when I posted the Red Square update. Here's a picture of the real-life Red Square:

I just sniped everyone in the first encounter from above. Guess it didn't matter much if you really can't sneak through.

Also, yeah, that lava flow sure looks like bodies.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Annoying that you cannae stealth the whole way through. Oh well.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Xander77 posted:

I just sniped everyone in the first encounter from above. Guess it didn't matter much if you really can't sneak through.

Also, yeah, that lava flow sure looks like bodies.
That's in Kamokuna, Hawaii if you want to go rescue Pavel. :v:

Samovar posted:

Annoying that you cannae stealth the whole way through. Oh well.
It's kind of a thing with the DLC missions. There's a section at the end of Pavel that totally looks like you can sneak through but it's actually a mandatory firefight.

From what I've heard the devs wanted to show off how much better the gunplay was compared to 2033 after realising a lot of people were sneaking their way through LL instead of shooting everything, so they just crammed a bunch of unavoidable combat into the DLC missions. Spider Lair, Heavy Squad, and The Tower are 100% combat with no stealth whatsoever; Tower even has online leaderboards.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Edmond Dantes posted:

It's kind of a thing with the DLC missions. There's a section at the end of Pavel that totally looks like you can sneak through but it's actually a mandatory firefight.

You can. I know for a fact that you can. Now I'm starting to doubt everything you've said in this LP.

Was there really a Preved guarded by a cyber-shrimp? I just don't know anymore!

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
I can't remember this mission very well. I think I might have been able to sneak through it? I shot my way through the end of Pavel's though.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Xander77 posted:

You can. I know for a fact that you can. Now I'm starting to doubt everything you've said in this LP.

Was there really a Preved guarded by a cyber-shrimp? I just don't know anymore!

If you can, I have no loving clue how. I managed to sneak through most of Pavel (I'll be fighting my way in the video since I want to show the boxes), but during that final encounter I'd get spotted every.single.time, even when the stealth meter was turned off and I was below the guards. There was a moment when the lead dude would go "AND WHO THE gently caress IS THIS" and open fire.

StandardVC10 posted:

I can't remember this mission very well. I think I might have been able to sneak through it? I shot my way through the end of Pavel's though.
I must have played Anna and Pavel ~10 times each, and could never sneak past those sections. I'll show the bit I mean during Pavel, but on Anna, every time I'd be making progress this shithead on the right would spot me and open up on me:

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Edmond Dantes posted:

If you can, I have no loving clue how. I managed to sneak through most of Pavel (I'll be fighting my way in the video since I want to show the boxes), but during that final encounter I'd get spotted every.single.time, even when the stealth meter was turned off and I was below the guards. There was a moment when the lead dude would go "AND WHO THE gently caress IS THIS" and open fire.
Go underneath the platform, possibly throwing a knife into the crouching guy so that he falls into the water. I haven't tried to sneak through the door out, but you can most definitely sneak around the entire area, watching patrol routes and taking guys out.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Xander77 posted:

Go underneath the platform, possibly throwing a knife into the crouching guy so that he falls into the water. I haven't tried to sneak through the door out, but you can most definitely sneak around the entire area, watching patrol routes and taking guys out.

Oh, that I did. I usually manage to take out 4 or 5 guards before they spot me, but there's a fence between the platform and the door out, and the only way through the fence requires you to be on the platform, and that would get me spotted every time. I also would get spotted when I reached a certain point under the platform (usually close to the 'leader' dude giving shouting at the other guys, didn't matter if the watch was registering me as visible or not).

I should have phrased it better: you can stealth-murder your way around, it's not a full-on fight like in Red Square, but I didn't find a way to sneak past that area without resorting to murder.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Edmond Dantes posted:

I must have played Anna and Pavel ~10 times each, and could never sneak past those sections. I'll show the bit I mean during Pavel, but on Anna, every time I'd be making progress this shithead on the right would spot me and open up on me:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5fokc1yeI-M

The Pavel video is on the same channel. (Not mine, obviously)

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
Huh.

The Pavel one looks... not intentional. As in, yeah, the dude sneaked through it, but I think it's more a case of exploiting the AI and Stealth than it is the encounter having been designed with bypassing it through stealth means in mind.

Thanks for linking it.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
Oh dear, would you look at the time!

Where we mow down hordes of communist mutants.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
Yeah there are some good DLC missions and then there's... that one. I had the hardest time with the tank, honestly, if you don't do enough damage fast enough the rockets it shoots just ruin you, no matter where you're standing at the time.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Yeah, that was just... bad. And that grenade launcher was just drat odd looking. Normally I like the gun design because you can see how the mechanisms work. But that was just bizarre.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
If you ignore the fact that we're playing literal nazis, the first 2 minutes are fantastic: the deranged speech on the loading screen, the car ride and that shot with the hole in the roof and the fuckload of Reds rapelling in, but after that is all downhill.

Something's super glitchy with the collision detection; that incendiary at the end montage going through the bloody wall? you can see the same happening at another point in the video, I noticed it while doing the subtitles (not to mention that those grenades appear to be travelling in a straight line). It would explain why I kept getting popped in the face even when taking cover, that death montage is probably half the times I died recording this, but I didn't want to make it a 10 min death video. :v:

The grenade launcher is super weird. It sounds out of sync when firing (it seems like the 'zzzzwomp' sound comes half a second after the shot, it feels super weak even when scoring a direct hit on someone, and if the soldiers get too close you can't aim down or you risk hitting the wall and killing yourself.

All in all...

StandardVC10 posted:

Yeah there are some good DLC missions and then there's... that one.

Samovar posted:

Yeah, that was just... bad.

• Locked thread