Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

Honest question, can you identify the offended race?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

whoflungpoop
Sep 9, 2004

With you and the constellations
the chinese survived millennia of war and flooding followed by communism and starvation by a murderous smelly pedophile despot only to be rewarded with more communism and unbreathable air

they dont need the pasty rear end goonsumers of their slave labor products to protect them from vaguely unsupportive words they cant read on an internet site they cant access so move along capn saveahu

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
We literally had one guy come in and say he was trolling the thread by calling everyone racists, while accidentally being the only one saying racist poo poo, and saying it was very fun and funny. I don't know why you guys take them seriously. Also...

MODERN CHINESE ART:

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
NSFW water heater commercial from Taiwan:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1mhdI4oGV7I

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Accretionist posted:

NSFW water heater commercial from Taiwan:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1mhdI4oGV7I

These guys gently caress

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Text BEEP to 43527 for the dancing robot!
Pillbug
I hope one day I can work in Good China AKA Taiwan or Hong Kong

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012

Ceciltron posted:

I hope one day I can work in Good China AKA Taiwan or Hong Kong

In the last thread, people were saying that Taiwan is the current sweet spot for quality of life and work-to-pay ratio, despite (specifically) Taipei getting expensive.

JIANBING (MONEY SHOT REEL):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MQxYkj191mk

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Pillbug

Accretionist posted:

In the last thread, people were saying that Taiwan is the current sweet spot for quality of life and work-to-pay ratio, despite (specifically) Taipei getting expensive.

JIANBING (MONEY SHOT REEL):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MQxYkj191mk

God, yes, but why the hell can't anyone scramble a goddamn egg properly in the entire continent of Asia? The chinese are terrified of runny yolks. The Japanese love 'em. The koreans are busy making bad music and the rest of the world doesn't care. I just want a good, moist egg mess, and yet nobody can do this in China.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Ceciltron posted:

God, yes, but why the hell can't anyone scramble a goddamn egg properly in the entire continent of Asia? The chinese are terrified of runny yolks. The Japanese love 'em. The koreans are busy making bad music and the rest of the world doesn't care. I just want a good, moist egg mess, and yet nobody can do this in China.

Sometimes for breakfast I like to make a runny sunny side up egg and dip my toast in the yolk. My inlaws (the first time they saw me do this) just sort of paused, looked at the egg, watched me eat it, then looked at my wife and then asked if I knew it was not fully cooked. By the time they left they were scarfing down soft yolk toasted westerns.

Other food related things that gave my in-laws pause when they were exposed to them:

Sushi (popular in China, but not so much with the older crowd)
Medium-rare steaks (all beef in China is cooked/boiled until it is well done)
Putting salt and pepper on tomato slices (they put sugar on tomatoes)
Salted peanuts on ice cream with chocolate sauce (they took to this pretty fast)
Salads (the closest thing they had to western salads was wood ear/sliced and marinated cucumber)
Pies/Pastries (baking is pretty much unheard in most of China, as everything is fried/BBQ'd)
Elaborate cocktails/Mixed Drinks (MaMa got hooked on white Russians and any cocktail with peach schnapps)
Real Pizza. (They had eaten at Pizza hut once in China and it is pretty much garbage-tier. I took them to a real Pizza place in Toronto and they couldn't believe how amazing it was)
Trifle/elaborate Desserts: They don't really have desserts in China, and most of what we would consider such, are just regular dishes that substitute the meat for red bean paste or sugar.
Western Wine: MaMa who was never a drinker back home really came to like red wine, especially Chilean Reds and stopped using her TCM sleeping aids and instead had a glass before bed to help her sleep.

Blistex fucked around with this message at 08:21 on Sep 18, 2016

max4me
Jun 15, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Guys I think we just need to code the language of these threads to be more harmonious with the rest of the form.

To this end I propose we no longer call people who ignorant uneducated farmers that work which in their langauge means "farmer"

no let us call them

SUPER MAO

Saint Rude
Aug 21, 2009
Anyone know why Angel Opportunity closed the last thread?

The China thread is one of the few consistently entertaining threads in this forum.

max4me
Jun 15, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
:quote is not edit

VVVV I thought it was a mod, though it wasnt gassed

Most likely the topic got to close to sounding racist.

Its like that time I went to a korean bath house with two of my friends. we are all weirdos one of them was even this guy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ReRQVxWEVuQ

Anyway we go have a nice time get naked do the korean bath house thing.

God we were trolls next to some of those naked men.

Anyway I am back at another friends house they are having a party and I get asked about said Korean bath house trip.

Well I start talking about how the most interesting part of the experience was just yelping "bath house in LA"
which will quickly tell you that there is a subset of bathhouses that are basically meeting places for homosexuals. Their reviews were hilarious

While I was saying this people were rotating in and out of kitchen freaking out that I was gay bashing. I believe this was because there was a homosexual relative attending. So even thought I never said one bad thing about homosexuals.

and calling me homophobic is just plain wrong cause I went to a loving bath house with my friends (one of whom is in his mid 30 and never had a girlfriend) I think shows that I dont have the homophobia.

So these threads seem to set people off and have them over react.

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

Christ you are so closeted.

max4me
Jun 15, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

BONGHITZ posted:

Christ you are so closeted.

Your remarks about my sexuality are irresponsible hurting to the feelings of the forums people, please be more harmonious

E_P
Feb 22, 2003

Ceciltron posted:

계란찜

Korean egg soup. Basically a big fluffy scrambled egg thing in a hot bowl. Really good on its own or with 쌈정.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Saint Rude posted:

Anyone know why Angel Opportunity closed the last thread?

he closed it because it turned to poo poo

Haier
Aug 10, 2007

by Lowtax

The Great Autismo! posted:

he closed it because it turned to poo poo

This one will be too. We had a good run while it lasted. LMAO

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse
It's actually not so bad if you put all the notorious shits on ignore.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012

JaucheCharly posted:

Haier
Aug 10, 2007

by Lowtax
Are we able to ignore our own posts?

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse
Never look back.

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!
Gwailo Thread, Op

Xerxes17
Feb 17, 2011

Zombie Boat posted:

Gwailo Thread, Op

It very dangrrous for tourists to visit the canals at night.

Falun Bong Refugee
Dec 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
Are you babies still loving crying? Jesus Christ.

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Fojar38 posted:

the purpose of that investment was to generate headlines saying that the investment occurred

this is basically the point of all of china's scientific projects and its an axiom that hasnt led me wrong yet

straddling bus :grin:

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

JaucheCharly posted:

If 17 years on these forums have taught me one thing, it's that Goons can't help themselves.

No why.

max4me
Jun 15, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Blistex posted:

If 17 years on these forums have taught me one thing, it's that Goons can't help themselves.

No why.

If only we used our powers for good, instead we helped a man open a hot dog stand....and then we stalked him with out mercy.

Sound
Oct 18, 2004

satanic splash-back posted:

I misunderstood, I guess when you're being racist based on reality (or reality, as told to you by an internet person), it is entirely different.

distasteful isn't the same thing as racist, sorry you have to seek out being offended just to feel something

is there a derogatory term for people like you I should be using? Seems like there should be.

Falun Bong Refugee
Dec 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Sound posted:

distasteful isn't the same thing as racist, sorry you have to seek out being offended just to feel something

is there a derogatory term for people like you I should be using? Seems like there should be.

You could just call him a friend of the family like you so desperately want to.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Pillbug
Marketplace, a show that does investigative journalism here in Canada on the CBC, just aired an episode on toxic children's jewelry from China. Lead in costume jewelry was only "limited" by health Canada after a scandal in the early 2000s, so what do the Chinese factories make the stuff out of now?

Cadmium. It's all made of Cadmium.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=208-irQ1Yus

Here's the show. It's pretty shocking.

emoji
Jun 4, 2004

max4me posted:

:quote is not edit

VVVV I thought it was a mod, though it wasnt gassed

Most likely the topic got to close to sounding racist.

Its like that time I went to a korean bath house with two of my friends. we are all weirdos one of them was even this guy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ReRQVxWEVuQ

Anyway we go have a nice time get naked do the korean bath house thing.

God we were trolls next to some of those naked men.

Anyway I am back at another friends house they are having a party and I get asked about said Korean bath house trip.

Well I start talking about how the most interesting part of the experience was just yelping "bath house in LA"
which will quickly tell you that there is a subset of bathhouses that are basically meeting places for homosexuals. Their reviews were hilarious

While I was saying this people were rotating in and out of kitchen freaking out that I was gay bashing. I believe this was because there was a homosexual relative attending. So even thought I never said one bad thing about homosexuals.

and calling me homophobic is just plain wrong cause I went to a loving bath house with my friends (one of whom is in his mid 30 and never had a girlfriend) I think shows that I dont have the homophobia.

So these threads seem to set people off and have them over react.

I don't really understand your post but I went to the famous Korean LA bathhouse known as Wi Spa and some closeted creep kept following me around when I was clearly moving to avoid him and eventually tried to reach for my thigh so I loudly told him to gently caress off and drew attention to him.

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

Ceciltron posted:

Marketplace, a show that does investigative journalism here in Canada on the CBC, just aired an episode on toxic children's jewelry from China. Lead in costume jewelry was only "limited" by health Canada after a scandal in the early 2000s, so what do the Chinese factories make the stuff out of now?

Cadmium. It's all made of Cadmium.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=208-irQ1Yus

Here's the show. It's pretty shocking.

Decided to look up cadmium and found this gem about product recalls:

"In June 2010, McDonald's voluntarily recalled more than 12 million promotional "Shrek Forever After 3D" Collectable Drinking Glasses because of the cadmium levels in paint pigments on the glassware."

max4me
Jun 15, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

emoji posted:

I don't really understand your post but I went to the famous Korean LA bathhouse known as Wi Spa and some closeted creep kept following me around when I was clearly moving to avoid him and eventually tried to reach for my thigh so I loudly told him to gently caress off and drew attention to him.

I believe we have been to the same place.

No imagine you are asked about your visit and you mention that part about being harassed, and people jump on you for being a bigot.

Thats the problem with these threads is everyone just loving primes to slam that report button. So poo poo regardless of context leads to mods taking unneeded action.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
the constant whining about how not racist you all are no really they're the real racists takes way more out of these threads than the two or three times people have been probated for arguably dumb reasons over 2 years of these things

fbr has been going kind of nuts lately though imo

Falun Bong Refugee
Dec 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
I'm really bored because I finished my work early this week. Need to kill time somehow.

emoji
Jun 4, 2004

max4me posted:

I believe we have been to the same place.

No imagine you are asked about your visit and you mention that part about being harassed, and people jump on you for being a bigot.

Thats the problem with these threads is everyone just loving primes to slam that report button. So poo poo regardless of context leads to mods taking unneeded action.

Well I reread your post and you never said anything about being harassed there which would seem relevant, but yea you probably did sound like a real weirdo because gay bathhouses (which would be overflowing with gay sex supplies and AIDS flyers in the lobby) are already a known separate thing from public bathhouses since forever, so there really was no reason to even bring it up (I mentioned my experience because it was funny/pathetic/unexpected because any kind of advances are strictly forbidden at places like Wi Spa which has facilities for families and kids, as if the guy had the retarded misconception that it was a gay bathhouse). And nobody really uses the term 'homosexuals' repeatedly or thinks 'I went to a loving bath house with my friends (one of whom is in his mid 30 and never had a girlfriend) I think shows that I dont have the homophobia' proves anything.

So yea re-reading your posts you do actually actually come off as homophobic (even in your posts themselves) which usually manifests itself as incredible awkwardness when talking about gay poo poo, using 'homosexuals', etc. So in conclusion you are either closeted or homophobic or just incredibly sheltered/awkward since you didn't immediately just drop the subject or turn it around after getting the first weird expression to your comments.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Haier posted:

A maladjusted ABC angrily posting in a China thread :monocle:

Falun Bong Refugee posted:

I'm not Asian you moron. I'm certainly not Chinese. I mean maybe in my genetic history. My forefathers got around.

Loll mega self-own

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

when hurt feelings cause you to torture animals out of spite:

How foreign protests against Yulin’s dog meat festival may have backfired

quote:

International groups and celebrities, backed by millions of foreign petitioners, have rallied against an annual dog meat festival in the Chinese city of Yulin: but the protests may have backfired, residents say, spurring more people to eat man’s best friend.

“My store’s dog-meat sales are much higher than before, last year was up more than 50 percent,” the owner of Yulin Number One Crackling Dog Meat Shop told AFP.

The city, deep in the poverty-stricken southern Chinese region of Guangxi, has drawn international fury for the beating and boiling alive of animals in the belief that the more frightened the dogs, the tastier the meat, activists say.

More than 10,000 animals are killed for the summer solstice festival, which has drawn the notice of celebrities such as British reality TV star Simon Cowell who denounced it as “barbaric”.

This year’s event is scheduled for June 21, but tensions are already growing.

Last month, activists from China‘s nascent animal-rights movement stopped a Guangxi-bound van carrying 400 dogs and cats, some still wearing pet collars.

But campaigners’ efforts have had a perverse effect, locals say.

“Because of the protests, more people know that Yulin has a dog meat festival, so everyone comes and tries it,” said the dog meat seller, surnamed Lin.

“As we get closer to the dog meat festival, all Yulin’s hotels are completely full.”

Lin has opened a dog meat delivery service because “large numbers of people are placing orders online,” she added.

Even dog lovers in Yulin say that protest tactics have backfired.

“I used to think our enemy was the dog meat lovers,” said the operator of a new dog shelter, who asked not to be named. “Now I see our enemy is the activists from outside.”

He fiercely opposes the dog trade and has adopted a retriever rescued from a market, but believes that international protests are “sabotage” that drive people to ferociously defend their custom.

Changing tactics

Local patriotism and cultural pride make outsiders bad messengers for change, the shelter operator said.

Foreigners often encounter hostility in Yulin, with butchers known to knock cameras out of visitors’ hands.

“When foreigners come to China and say China has this or that problem, people get disgusted with you and won’t listen,” he said.

“Because of media hype, more and more dog meat is eaten.”

To reduce the number of slaughtered dogs, the shelter operator has built a pet centre to demonstrate that the animals can produce more income as consumers of clothing and pet paraphernalia than as meat.

“Our local centre is purely commercial,” he said. “Our goal is not to abolish all eating of dog meat, but to give this city an antibody, to resist… this virus.”

Andrea Gung, the Taiwanese-American founder of California-based Duo Duo, a group that organised a 2.5 million-signature petition against the festival, says that the fury she has encountered forced her to change approach.

“Everyone hated us,” she said of last year’s festival, noting that dog-lovers receive such animosity in Yulin that they no longer identify as activists.

Now her group is sponsoring animal welfare programmes in schools, hoping to turn the next generation against dog eating by making it “uncool”.

“We want to come up with some slogan like, ‘Cute girls don’t date dog eaters,'” she said, adding that most afficionados in Yulin are men, who believe the meat increases virility.

Daily trade

China has no laws to protect non-endangered species.

Although the protests focus on Yulin’s festival, canines are butchered and eaten year-round in many places in southern China without attracting international outrage.

In Yulin, a humid city pockmarked by empty factory lots, sidewalk vendors slice meat from dog carcasses on hooks and feed them to men around low tables crowded with beer.

City markets have sections dedicated to selling the meat and restaurant adverts show images of well-groomed retrievers.

The Humane Society International (HSI) has sent researchers to tour slaughterhouses and estimates that an average of 300 dogs are killed in the city daily.

This is despite the fact that pet ownership has grown rapidly in China over the past decade, with almost 30 million households now owning a dog, according to research group Euromonitor.

Washington, DC-based HSI protested at Yulin’s Beijing office Friday and mailed an 11 million-signature petition to President Xi Jinping.

The #StopYulin campaign has become one of HSI’s “biggest” campaigns now, the group’s China specialist Peter Li said.

But the idea that the protests might drive a backlash in Yulin and fuel dog consumption, he said, was “hugely exaggerated”.

“A backlash for the short term, yes. But in the long term, I don’t worry.”

Fojar38
Sep 2, 2011

Sorry I meant to say I hope that the police use maximum force and kill or maim a bunch of innocent people, thus paving a way for a proletarian uprising and socialist utopia

also here's a stupid take
---------------------------->

you wont believe this crazy thing that the ingenious chinese have invented now! #whoa #wow #popularmechanics

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

akulanization
Dec 21, 2013

Bro Dad posted:

when hurt feelings cause you to torture animals out of spite:

How foreign protests against Yulin’s dog meat festival may have backfired

The fragile mainlander heart.

• Locked thread