Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
the coco I know that's in Shenzhen has a crazy meltdown after I told her I married my wife, after months of us hanging out and her insisting we were just friends. She was cute, good luck with her

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Last night, my wife and I went out to dinner, and we were on the way home and we passed a really nice Thailand restaurant. We saw two old Chinese people standing at the window, with their hands behind their backs, staring into the restaurant. Sure enough, when we arrived at the restaurant, we saw my friend who is an American that has adopted two Chinese children, with his wife.

We went in to say hello, and he said "how did you guys know I was here?" And I said "The two really creepy Chinese people staring through the window nonstop kind of gave away the fact there's a foreigner here" and he and his wife looked and right there in the window were two super old creepy Chinese people with their noses almost against the glass.

He laughed and said "that's a pro call" and we all laughed together after looking at the people at the window while they awkwardly sauntered away

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Mercury_Storm posted:

A Japanese curry house even. :chanpop:

1. this picture is from japan
2. these are everywhere in big cities in china
3. they absolutely own and are delicious and are totally boss

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
"hey TGA, how do you know this is in japan?"

well, the japanese writing kinda gives it away, but also, and sorry to roast you...

-the guy on the left looks like he has a decent amount of class? definitely not mainland china
-a lack of trash and/or feces on the street? definitely not mainland china
-only three people in the picture? definitely not mainland china
-a public trashcan that actually has trash in it? definitely not in mainland china
-it looks like all lights are functional? definitely not in mainland china
-no one has stolen one of the flags outside the restaurant, or torn it down because "JAPAN DEVILS!!!!!"? definitely not in mainland china
-all three people in the picture are living their lives and not walking around awkwardly bumping into things because they are staring at their phone? definitely not in mainland china

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Imperialist Dog posted:

So I was browsing through my local library (Hong Kong libraries have a decent English section), and found a book called POW! by Mo Yan, who went on to win a Nobel Prize for Literature. I got through about 75 pages before I couldn't read any more. It's not bad, or boring per se; I can't go on because it is this thread and every China anecdote in novel form, and at least GBS-China threads have comedic value.

The protagonist lives in a village that prospers by selling fake meat, and beats up any inspectors who try to prove it. The men are chain-smokers who preach about Chinese cultural superiority while having multiple affairs, and money is a major theme. In one early scene, in order to cause the protagonist's father to lose face, the village head throws his payment on the ground in front of him while he is squat-smoking. The village head then pisses a mighty river, so much that all the renminbi notes are now floating in a puddle of urine. The father nonchalantly picks them out and wipes them in his trousers, in order to teach his son that money is money and acquiring it is good, no matter where it has been.

It is an excellent allegory for Chinese society, but for me I just felt "I can experience this just by crossing the border, why am I reading about it?" Seriously, if you took out the "retelling the story to a monk in an abandoned temple" part, you could easily place it in the nonfiction section as an autobiography. So check it out if you ever doubt the tales told in these threads.

Oh and a mainlander let their kid piss all over the floor of the train carriage on Friday. The usual pants down, I'll hold your legs for you stance.

When I'm in China I have to read books that make me happy to live in China, like Age of Ambition or China in Ten Words, or Strange Stones, I can't read stuff that is infuriating while I'm here. Like I left China for seven weeks this summer and cranked out Poorly Made in China and it helped me not miss China.

I'm leaving for all of December so maybe I'll try to find POW! for that trip.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Haier posted:

Closure: She was Mongolian and came riding in on her ebike like the hordes of her ancestors did when they rode across the world. It was fine except she thought biting was sexy and she bit my face and my dick. Other than that 10/10, would plunge 100 more times.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E2hzC6vaPYo

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Jimmy Little Balls posted:

One of the gate guards for my neighbourhood is a bit crazy and over the top friendly, he is also really badly crosseyed. It's pretty busy here so when he sees someone and starts shouting hello and talking at them everyone stops and looks at each other trying to figure out who it is he's talking to, whilst people he has trapped in conversation before start running.

lol this exact guy works at my wife's old apartment complex. super friendly, never shut up, was kinda crossed eyed. i loved him and he was so nice but sometimes it was like "yo I'm pretty drunk and just want to go lay down" and the dude would not stop talking. we moved away about two years ago, but i went to visit him a few months ago, he's still there and friendly and talkative as ever. i love that dude

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

I know we make China sound bad but I think planning funerals is a bit extreme.

we aren't making china sound bad, we are actually just reporting on china, and it is objectively bad.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

I don't know, since I got back after summer I havent seen anything noteworthy, things are far too civilized now and I'm getting bored.

this is much more of a reflection of you and your daily life in china than it is actually china

like people that live in (southern?) china that are like "i had a great day in china today, don't know why you keep saying china is bad. i stayed inside for 18 hours and played games on steam for 13 hours, and ordered some cheeseburgers, i dunno, china seems cool to me, guess you guys just live in a bad part of it, lol!", that's much more of a reflection of them than it is china

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

If you know Northern China is poo poo and Southern China is ok why stay in the lovely place? I rarely have time to sit around at home, I know Grand Fromage complains about Chengdu sometimes but I think he lives out in the wastelands beyond third ring road?

I can't just pack up and leave I'm in charge of like a billion things at work, get paid better than I would anywhere else, and am married with a wife and a kid. I have a life here. If I was just like mid20s aimlessly bouncing around as a single person I would go to southern China...well check that I'd go to a good country, but if a good country wouldn't take me I'd go to southern China... but I've been in Tianjin the entire time for work, I was hired in the states, worked for them in the states and then they brought me here. No one chooses to move to Tianjin China. No one in their right mind really chooses to move to China period unless you bombed out of your home country or your company reassigned you here, or unless your country is objectively worse than China (like my old boss from Belarus or my buddy's girlfriend from Georgia)

I do love it though I find it fascinating. I'm now in a full abusive relationship with China.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Grand Fromage posted:

I live in the city near a subway station. I have some specific complaints about Chengdu but most things are just about China generally, I don't think they're any different in other places.

"Hey u racist China has 56 different ethnicities do you think all Chinese are the same? You think you can claim all of China is the same? U sound like a racist to me"

What I heard for years on SA when I said "I have a general problem about China" lol

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Ya my wife came to Tianjin two years before me for her company to do kinda the same job I do, except she's in early childhood education. But we've both lived here so long we've built lives here. Now we have a kid and we're getting out the door and the clock is ticking.

I don't know GFs story other than he has had the same experience I've had more or less which makes me happy and he has a little star next to his name so no one freaks out about his experiences

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Happy mid autumn festival. These lanterns are illegal, everyone does them anyway.

This is what parenting looks like on the holiday in China. This place actually owns and they let us in free, no idea why, and it's on the 4th floor of our building, so I don't even have to go outside when the pollution sucks. Did this yesterday for a bit with my son, he seems to love it. I'm also like one of the only dads there, which is always kinda weird. And of course the only foreigner. Lol

Leaving my pool last week

Chinese style crossing the road...literally every intersection is filled with people like this

When I had to go to the best Chinese hospital. Hey look it's a no smoking sign and a guy squatting in front of it smoking. If China ever gets a new flag I hope they put this on it. the worst part about this is I tell the guy "you can't smoke here" and he's like "oh I know". It isn't even ignorance. He knows he shouldn't smoke in the hosptial...he just don't care about anyone else around him. It's straight up rudeness and selfishness engrained into the culture. It's disgusting and sad, and it happens every day.

This picture was taken from the doorway of a public bathroom after I went. I walked out the door and a guy had walked his kid to the public bathroom...to piss all over the wall outside of it. *sigh* at least no one lost any face!

A street argument stops traffic. I watched for a bit, a lady had her fruits knocked over, not too many swear words, no punches thrown, only a little finger pointing. 5/10 kanrenao.

Sometimes it's like 10:30 am and you've already had to work for like two hours. God that's tiring, better get a nap in

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
http://www.cbc.ca/beta/news/canada/british-columbia/vancouver-city-hall-chinese-flag-1.3789155

They are now unironically raising Chinese flags in front of Vancouver city hall.

Canada, you should be embarrassed

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Boner Zone posted:

I'm just going to assume all of those wall stains are from thousands of squatting smokers putting their cigarettes out because the alternatives are quite terrifying imo

in every stairwell at this hospital, there are no smoking signs everywhere, and the ground is just littered, LITTERED, with used cigarettes. in my seven years in china, i can't think up anything to sum up china more than this image. its just a perfect representation of china in all aspects

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
I'm doing music now at a bar and I just got the best possible 2 pictures, it's 5 Chinese people staring at their phones and 6 Brits/Americans/South Africans having crazy conversations

It's so good hang on I'll upload it

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Grand Fromage posted:

I really think the "omg kids are all in their phones" thing is wildly overblown but man in China and Korea sometimes it seems so true. My students care vastly more about having their phone taken away for a day than literally not being able to go to college.

i hate to break it to u but if u can't realize the difference u r a racist

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
it's time for TGA's "Hey, We're Moving Offices in China! lol!"

part one
part two

the foreigners had to work yesterday, so we all showed up outside the new office. the building isn't really open yet, so we kinda had to go through a roped off construction zone to get to the front door. a police officer was very nice and showed me the way. i know people from my company have been going there because while all the foreigners had a holiday, the marketing staff has been uploading pictures of themselves wearing masks and painting the walls in the new building.

quickly off topic: i really hate the divide of foreigners and locals in my office. they give us all more holiday time, we work 5 days a week for 40 hours, while every chinese person has to work 6 days a week for 54 hours. it just seems like such an easy way to develop bad feelings. in our new office there are two rooms, one is for "foreign teachers" and one is for "chinese teachers", and i said "can't we just put all the teachers together" and the girl said "of course not". uh, ok.

anyway, we took the elevator to our floor, i guess last time the elevator wouldn't go to our new floor. this time it did. one of our employees was encouraged by that. when we arrived, this is what it looked like.

which isn't nearly as bad as it looked in the first picture about 10 days ago. the girl from chicago that works with us was really impressed with how much they've done, and i guess i would be too, but i've seen entire infrastructures for subways go up and running in like under two years, like entire subway lines with 20 plus stops. go near washington dc and they will be doing construction on 495 for the next decade and nothing will ever seem to change. china changes overnight. that's cool and good, IMO.

i did walk around the office, we have only bought half the floor, the other half of the floor looks like this.

so i ended up talking with the girl from HR for a bit, and she said everyone had to work. but since our computers aren't set up yet, and we have no internet, we can't really work right now. so i gave the foreign staff the day to go "work from home", meaning if they have stuff to do, please go get it done. this really isn't allowed in china, like there is this distinct idea at work where if you are at work, you are therefore working. so if you are not at work, you can't be paid for work. as in i've talked to people numerous times who are at work, sleeping or playing video games, and they are like "well today i had to work" and i'll say "what did you do at work" and they'll respond with "nothing, i had a rest". so the entire chinese staff stayed there and chatted and all the foreigners kinda bobbed in and out. i went to go work out.

i could have kissed the HR girl i was so happy, on my way out she came to me and said "i need help translating all of this" and it was all of the english they were going to put all over the office. "admissions", "marketing", "finance", and our previous chinglish all over the wall. she said "we don't want to make any english mistakes this time". i could have cried. i was like "omg its happening...things...are...changing." i told my boss when i signed for another six months that my wife, son and i would be out the door in june, but this office is amazing and they are like...changing the way they are doing things? a little? maybe just a tiny bit? it's so encouraging. i started working for this company in madison, wisconsin, we had a one room office in capitol square that we could barely afford, then i moved to china and we had the most disgusting office ever. then we moved again, now we are here. i was all emotionally ready to leave china but this is so good, it's like "....dammit." it would have been easy if it looked horrible, but this new building is boss. guess we'll see how work keeps going in the future.

here's a few more bonus shots of the city, from an employee who left two days ago. this was the view he had from the 50th floor of his building. some pretty nice shots of tianjin.

unbelievably, this guy hated his life here and hated china, which i don't really know how you can hate china when you have this view. look at what humans have created. amazing.

all of these pictures were taken not just of the same city, but at the same time on the same day. the second picture looks super polluted. that's southern tianjin, maybe the lack of big buildings makes the pollution more visible. i dunno.

lastly, my mom emailed me a few days ago, she was looking through an old copy of the new york times from like a month ago, and found this article and said "i think the girl looks like your ex gf, is it?" and i was like "wow it kinda does look like her" so i went to my ex's Facebook page and she had all of these behind the scenes photos tagged of her at this event, she is modelling in paris now. and i'm still in tianjin. like she's moved to paris and speaks french fluently and is now on the front page of the fashion and style section of the new york times modelling...and i'm shitposting on a comedy forum in the same city i was in six years ago. poo poo.

anyway those are my china stories from the past few days, thanks for reading, china is cool and good. that's all.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Scionix posted:

how do you not go fuckign insane living in china and never seeing the honest to god blue sky

it's been raining the past few days so that's why it kinda looks gloomy lately. tho in those pictures i posted you could see the blue sky a fair amount where we were...just kinda crappy in the southern part of tianjin, looked like mordor.

we got our office computers and internet up and running. i guess this is the real thing. i'm back at work less than 10 days after we were supposed to move and couldn't. i set the over under at 15.5 and everyone bet the over. you all lose, give me money.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Haier posted:

Here's a NSFW photo of an executioner during the Boxer Rebellion or something (probably got my facts wrong).
http://i.imgur.com/J374OpK.jpg

wtf

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
the pollution will get really bad in november, which not by coincidence is the next time i'm leaving, :getin:

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

KomodoWagon posted:

I would wear this thing constantly if I had to go to China for some reason, even as I slept

it's really not that bad at all

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

JaucheCharly posted:

Your shots of farming in Japan are nice and beautiful. That panorama here is an urban hellscape.

to steal a bad quote, there are two sides to every coin.

look, farming communities in japan absolutely own, i don't think anyone would ever say otherwise. however, there are some drawbacks. i never get to speak english to anyone...ever. everything is really far away, and i can't drive in japan. so i have to like like kms at a time if i want anything. it's incredibly peaceful and quiet, but that means you need to figure out ways to keep yourself busy. i try to climb a mountain every day, or do a 5k, one of the two, and that only takes like an hour, far less if i'm doing a 5k, so you gotta get in a routine so you don't start going numb.

living in the city, like the ones pictured that you quoted, is awesome for numerous reasons. there is always something going on. within a 1km radius there must be hundreds, literally hundreds, of awesome places to get food. its easy to meet people. better facilities, the gyms, pools, everything are so centrally located and convenient. transportation. etc.

yes in terms of natural beauty living in the countryside is better than living in the city center, but there are plusses and minuses to both. i'm lucky enough that i have both lives readily available. my parents live on a lake in maine, which isn't too different from where my wife is from in japan, and when i'm back there i'm super happy and content for like a week and then i'm gearing up to get ready to come back to living and working in china. but then after a few months in china, i'm totally burned out and i want to go to some small place in a tiny town and be away from everything and everyone for like a month.

the pollution looks p bad in that second pic, but it's usually not. it's a fascinating place to live because of how quickly everything has changed and gone up. as my coworker said yesterday "our life here is just so loving insane". and he's right. if you have that attitude, you can do just fine living in a changing city center in china.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

LentThem posted:

Shanghai skies have been great lately.

And then I went to Beijing a couple of weeks ago.

Bonus road safety pics

thx for posting m8, looks awesome

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

oohhboy posted:

I am now reading Flying Upside down by Captain Duke Nukem nd ex-pat pilot. It is this thread but with Air planes and it is as horrifying as you can imagine it is. Flying planes is the last priority these people have. "Good enough", maintaining Face and looking good for the CCP override all safety concerns. Finding competence is like finding a Unicorn. I am only on page 21 and it is :allbuttons:

When people here say don't fly Chinese airlines they are serious. Your safety is by the grace of God and your hopefully foreign Captain who is trying their best not to get killed.

this is actually the last thing i want to read while living in china or traveling in china or doing anything in china. i downloaded it, read two pages, said "....poo poo, not a chance" and will wait until i leave before i even give it an attempt. I'm afraid it may actually push me straight out the door and never to look back. I'm not kidding. i think it could actually make me leave china forever.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Yorkshire Pudding posted:

Groups of Chinese tourists are taking pictures of me as I eat a hamburger at 8pm in a crowded metropolitan nightlife area in Japan.

lol owned

tell them "knee- how. knee - may-oh me-en-za" they will be so happy

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Haier posted:

RIP the Mongolian.

She started deleting me from Wechat and asking for friend confirmation. I tried adding her again and she did and she said that this is what she does to guys she likes, seeing if they will add her again and can't be without her. I was like "WAT? That's childish as hell." Since she had my friend request in her friend section, she would say a bunch of poo poo and delete me so I couldn't reply, add me at will, say a bunch of poo poo, and then delete me. I told her to get hosed, so she blocked me. Then she unblocked me, told me I was a bad man for being divorced and that I abandoned my poo poo head of an ex-wife and it was all my fault or something. I double told her to get hosed, and she blocked me again.

She shows up unannounced at my house at midnight last night and barges in when I open the door (no peephole), and strips naked and gets into my bed and says she's super tired and needs sleep. I'm standing there chatting with my normal friends on my phone and sending video to them of crazy Mongolian girl in case things go really sour and I need evidence. They're laughing at me and telling me to build a wall around her. I tell her she can't do this and she should leave, and she says she'll go to the police and report me as a spy or that I am doing something illegal. I knew this would happen eventually. Thanks, Uncle Xi.

I've actually been sick these days, and I was in the process of brushing my teeth and getting ready to go to bed when she arrived, so I started crashing around and making tons of noise, turning on all my lights and doing whatever in my own house. She's sighing and trying to "sleep." She tells me to come to bed. I eat rice pudding and blow my nose loudly.

I know this is a battle I can't win, and I am running a fever and beginning to sweat profusely. I crawl into bed and pull the blanket over and she rolls over and touches and me and complains I am soaked in sweat. I told her she can sleep in her own bed if she doesn't like it and she loudly sighs and takes my hand and puts it on her brown Mongol titties. Even if I wanted to, I had zero energy to get it up, so I told her so and rolled over to sleep and try to break my fever. She jams her face into mine and told me she wants to kiss me and I was thinking I was going to get bit. She didn't bite me, but instead gave me this weird series of kisses on my face and shoulders and then complained I was salty from sweating like I ran a marathon.

Then she said this -
Her: "I came here because you told me not to. Anything you want me to do, I refuse to do it. Anything you don't want me to do, I will do it."
Me: "That's dumb. I don't like that."
Her: "I AM SORRY. DO YOU WANT ME TO CRY? WAIT A MOMENT. I WILL CRY."
Me: "You're stupid and immature, and you should listen to what people say and respect that."
Her: "I am the type of girl that if she says no, it always means YES."
Me: "What?"
Her: "I came here to torture you and bother you. I know you're sick. I thought it would be fun to see you angry."
Me: "For crying out loud..."
Her: "I am wet. You will gently caress me? I don't want you to gently caress me."
Me: "We're not having sex ever again."
Her: "I said don't gently caress me..."
Me: "I get it. You want me to rape you or something."
Her: "Yes."

Anyway, she actually fell asleep soon after and so did I and she woke me up like 500 times kissing my shoulder and then set her alarm for 06:30 and used Snooze until like 08:00. She also woke up at like 3am and took a huge dump for some reason and because she woke me up I had to pee and after I walked into Mongolian Genocide in the bathroom and cursed her ancestors.

She woke up, said nothing to me, got dressed, forced a hug on me, and left. I told her to never contact me again. I blocked her. She didn't come back tonight. I am sure she will try again, but I am not opening my door. LMAO.

Edit:
Screenshot from a Wechat video of her plugging her phone into her powerbank right after barging in. My lights were off and my USB charger thing was making my room glow blue.

you're lucky this girl isn't a chinese national, she could make your life a living hell then if she wanted to. this post actually made me think back to some of the girls i dated back in the day and i'm pretty happy i escaped all those escapades unscathed.

Reasons my girlfriend is angry today:

She wanted to go for breakfast when I was still asleep, was woken up by being shouted at for being lazy. Got up and ready and had to wait 45 minutes for her to get ready, she changed shoes 11 times. She has 4 pairs of shoes.

She had a stomache ache and wanted to go to the TCM doctor, I told her there was nothing wrong with her and he would just tell her to drink more hot water, he told her there was nothing wrong with her and to drink more hot water.

I've hurt my knee and she wanted to spend the day walking round a crowded park, I am very selfish for not going to the park.

lol

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

I can't stop watching this

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Vegetable posted:

Most of these gifs are staged its the big thing in China

The woman almost bashes her head on a rock, I'm not too sure this is fake. I'm sure some people want it to be, though

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Grand Fromage posted:

It helps when the government doesn't give a gently caress about the citizens and the citizens don't give a gently caress about anyone outside their immediate circle, and a healthy number of those only give a gently caress about their circle because they are resources to be exploited

Also when you have no long-term thinking so you don't care if it's unsustainable

but the inscrutable Chinese always play the long game I was told

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Relin posted:

china lost 0-2 to uzbekistan. but i guess they arent totally out of the running for the world cup yet. this qualification system is confusing

they aren't mathematically eliminated but they aren't going to make it. It will probably be South Korea and Iran qualifying from their group with Uzbekistan going to the play in fourth round. It would take a Herculean effort for China to even make the fourth round play in game.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Jeoh posted:

paging angel opportunity / the great autismo

i'm on it!

Vegetable posted:

"Do butterfly wings have colours?"

As we know, the beautiful colors of the butteryfly wings is the question of the world history. But do the colors admit? If you search inside yourself, you can to understand the colors of the butterfly wings. What's more, the wings of the butterfly is not the colors of the world but the <<trees standing guard over the street during the colorful life>>; for now to udnerstand the wings of color, can you not imagine it? For China's rise, the wings of the butterfly are the same. The tapestry color of the life is not inside your head, but inside your heart. China have the many years of history, 5,000 or more, and the wings of the butterfly to stretch through the history of colors like red, yellow, red, white and so on. Can you feel the movement of the wings, the color in the movement, and the life for hte wings to create? Well, yes. Because of this,we can feel it.As ancient famous Chinese man Chang Shi says, <<Only in the color of the eye can the heart know the autumn's foilage>>. For such civilization and to the rise of glorious China, we can know the butterfly having the color in the wings, as we all feel the wings movement deep inside the heart of the itself, and the wings have the color so the butterfly can know it has the color of the wings on the butterfly wings. Finish.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

fish and chips and dip posted:

Part of the secret of the Shanghai school system is to keep below average students away from taking the standardized tests which determine school quality/level like PISA.

well, you have to test into high schools to begin with, and then you have to pay to attend there, and the better student you are, the less you pay. so everyone will want to attend like Shanghai Number 1 High School, and all the best students will apply, and they will take the best of the best. then they will train these best students specifically for PISA tests or SAT tests or whatever, they will spend hours upon hours preparing for these tests. then they will select a few of the best schools in Shanghai to take them. so of course their test scores are going to be highest.

it would be like if you went to NYC and took only the elite private schools, or the DC area, like Gonzaga and Thomas Jefferson and Madeira, and trained the kids hours upon hours daily for the exams. then the USA's scores would be through the freakin' roof. but we don't do that yet because it's dumb and a gigantic waste of time

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Sheep-Goats posted:

There was a Chinese run pulled noodle place near my apartment in Queens which was in the middle of a minor Chinatown. Tons and tons of no-English FOB guys and girls there. The noodle place eventually relocated to a larger space but initially it was one table and a bar along the outside windows. I loved to eat there but there was always a chance someone would sit down who was so loving disgusting that I'd have to carry my noodles away to another seat. A lot of the time I'd be starting on my noodles and the prototypical Booger From Revenge Of The Nerds But Chinese would come in and go up to the counter and start screaming his order to the lady who was two feet away from him. It was like a race at that point to get my noodles eaten before he could sit down and loving ruin it.

One time I was in there eating and a ~24 year old guy was playing five second bursts of Justin Beiber videos at full volume to his gelled hair buddy and I made an overly loud comment about that being "girl music" to the girl I was in there with and he got super pissed -- he didn't do anything of course but he looked absolutely furious. Another time a 45 or so year old guy sat just to my right and started making sounds with his noodles like he was boiling ping pong balls and guacamole in his face somehow so I started imitating him and making pig sounds and he got pissed off too. I went in there knowing this poo poo was likely but sometimes it was just so egregious that I'd lose it.

rofl

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Ceciltron posted:

It's the sound. The sound of eating drowns out anything but shouted conversation. Table manners where people don't talk with their mouths full or chew with their mouths open allows for much less noisy conversation and greater privacy in public.

AAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHH HOW IS YOUR FOOD IS IT DELICIOUS?

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Sheep-Goats posted:

No there is something wrong with it. It's how children eat if they don't know better. It shows a lack of either care for those around you or a lack of development in basic eating habits. I can put up with Japanese people dutifully slurping noodles but with Mainlanders it's full bore bodily process on display and amplified without concern for others. It's loving orcish and gross and it's not just with noodles. The lip smacking, tipping your head back so you can yell around the food in your mouth like some kind of deranged strangling crow, slurping loving coffee instead of drinking it, snot gargling &c goes way off the charts all the time and it's literally like eating next to loving pigs.

Are you serious?

You eat for a while. Then talk for a while. You do not talk at the exact moment your mouth is eating. This is something I was taught when I was six.

hahahahhahahhahha lol

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

nerdz posted:

It's pretty low in my list of countries that I'd like to visit. Thai food is good but doesn't grab me and that's my main motivation to visit places.

uhm wat

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
here's some good china.txt

my company is starting new marketing stuff because our new office is so nice. they've started posting numerous pictures of white people at universities in the united states or england, none of which are any of our employees or students, and none of which are universities i have ever been to. they are doing this with the slogan "come to xxxxx company! 100% of our students get in to top 50 universities in the usa!"

this is kinda dumb and frustrating for 2 reasons.

1) 100% of our students do not get into top 50 unis. in fact we have sent dozens upon dozens of kids to unis ranked 50-100. i know this, because i know the kids that are personally there studying.
2) in the past 4 years, three different times my company has given me a combined budget of ~10,000USD to go back to usa and plan my own trip through ivy league schools and good west coast schools, and i've spent hours upon hours of time meeting with admissions people from yale to harvard to princeton to cal-berkeley to boston college to washington to UCLA. and i've taken hundreds of photos of our old students there doing stuff.

so i asked the marketing girl about this and she was like "its our new plan" and i was like "well isn't the plan not correct, we've sent a lot of kids to not top 50 schools" and she goes "oh we are only talking about the top 50 students". so our new marketing slogan really is "of all the kids we've sent to top 50 universities, all of them went to top 50 universities". sounds...well, it sounds like someone not from the foreign department thought it up.

furthermore, when i asked them why they didn't use the hundreds of pictures and information that they paid me for and then gave me over ten thousand dollars to use to go do, the girl said "we just decided to use Baidu images"

at least we have a new office

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

ladron posted:

you know, man, eventually you get tired of the golden goose pecking you in the dick all the time and you flip out and kill it.

also please all china goons more stories like this they are like crack for me and I'm an old and don't reddit TT

I'm not going to flip out and kill anyone or anything it's been poo poo like this for seven full years, but the fam is starting our exit strategy next month, which is moving half of the crap we have in our apartment to Japan

• Locked thread