Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
peanut
Sep 9, 2007

I'm allergic to some common TCM ingredients. :sadpeanut:

The common rabbit poop lookin' pill for an upset stomach smells like bbq sauce puke. It is so bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Dicky mouse posted:

where are you getting TMC in japan?

Regular GPs prescribe TCM together with modern medicine if they... think it's appropriate? I was mostly offered TCM when I was pregnant because it's seen as "low-risk". It tastes like rear end and is a hassle to take, too.
The thing that I'm allergic to is whatever they put into the root teas to make it smell/taste less terrible.

Edit: I'm not a promoter of ~alternative medicine~ but I think that sometimes mysterious problems need a mysterious cure (placebo). Please give me real medicine and vaccines for real problems.

Edit 2: omg 88 snipe :peanut:

peanut fucked around with this message at 07:02 on Nov 1, 2016

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Once there was a good who bought some FAKE EGGS and I never got follow-up on how eggs could be faked and if they are actually edible. Can we please talk about fake foods that are sold as real food?

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Kharnifex posted:

Last time I was in Hong Kong there was two scams running, one was smuggling meat in to beat some 0.002 cent tax per kilo and the other was fake eggs.

The whole salers sold them for cheap and disappeared, they were nice and heavy so market goers bought them, they were made using crushed seashell, seaweed extract and a rubber bouncy ball.

:wtc:

Re: Chinese diaspora. Chinese stuff in Japan kinda has a more Cantonese pronunciation. Does anyone know what's up with that? I'm thinking of how place names in HK sounded similar to the Japanese readings of the same characters, compared to me not being able to guess the Shanghai station names at all.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Mauritania (and many other places people are desperate to gtfo of) is getting into the lucrative skype dating scam industry.
http://romancescamsnow.com/scammer-albums-lists/

Which Chinagoon had the coworker who was totally worried about her Nigerian prince?

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Japan does this too. Smelly kerosene heaters and letting the germs go outside like makkuro-kurosuke.
They won't leave windows open with an electric air conditioner running, but may open them immediately as soon as the ac is off.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Haier posted:

Since I sometimes talk about India, I wanted to mention this because it owns.

http://www.ndtv.com/india-news/pm-modi-speaks-to-nation-tonight-at-8-pm-1622948

Basically, Modiji is requiring all Indians to bring in their 500 and 1000 rupee notes to the banks or post offices to turn in and exchange later for the new 500s and 2000 notes. It was mentioned a long time ago that he had wanted to crack down on "Black money," or money that criminals amass and horde, as well as tax-evading businesses, terrorist funding, gangs, and other people like that. There was little warning about this, which was the point, and it's going to be a huge headache for a lot of people as the deadline is very soon.

What this scheme is doing is genius though. The people and organizations who are sitting on trashbags full of 1000 rupee notes will have no way to turn them in legally. Once the deadline passes they immediately become valueless except in small increments with government ID, and they'll get hassled for it. If they want to take them to a bank to turn in, they can only turn in a small amount unless they use their PAN card (like a personal identifier for income and money transactions), which will immediately flag them for suddenly trying to put in wheelbarrows of money. The guys and organizations with black money have millions of dollars, all unclaimed, mostly illegally gained, and untaxed (of course). They are all screwed, and the only options are to let it all go to waste and lose all of it, or try some schemes to put it in, but eventually someone is going to get flagged and arrested and linked back to the horde. If they can, they might be able to send hundreds of guys to every bank in a 1000km radius, but there's not enough to time to do that, especially with every normal citizen waiting in line to exchange their tender. There's just no way they can get rid of this money in those huge amounts without being caught.

This doesn't just gently caress over the big time criminals and corporations, this also screws the grandpas who have retired on embezzled cash and keep a mattress full of 1000s to live off of. This is the guy over-charging customers for years, or skimming off the top for a new car. This gets the people who take "donations" for services (bribes) and other easily-passed money. This gets everyone who stole money and is keeping a certain amount or higher. Since corruption is one of the most hated elements of Indian society by those who must deal with it, this is going to hit a LOT of people.

loving LMAO. There's going to be tons of rich assholes who are going to be poor as hell very soon.

hell yeah lmao

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

omg rofl

more India black money stories :peanut:

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Half of the new JETs in my town are Asian American and they keep getting told "Oh you don't look American" :japan:
I think city hall specifically asked for Californians and Asians because a few years ago one JET was very kind and good and helpful and everyone with a similar background will be similar right?

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

is that like haguro black teeth for married women or what

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Visiting Kyoto makes me feel tiny because there are so many Dutch, Swedish and Russian tourists.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

I hope sharing their story with BBC doesn't backfire :(

100 Women 2016: My sham marriage - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-37470074

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

I'm going to Taichung, Taiwan it will be SO AUTHENTIC

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

caberham posted:

WHY? i hope you have friends there. My aunt lives there and it's so boring

Yeah for a wedding banquet, we'll be with Minibug so like just feeding pigeons and stuff.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

My aunt took Mandarin lessons to talk with her in-laws.
Grandma only speaks Hakka and is barely literate in any language despite living in Chicago for thirty years, oof!

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

caberham posted:

No one in Hong Kong can squat really well because everyone uses regular toilets.

I think that's why mainland girls have nicer legs, they squat all the time and wear super high heels

High heels are bad for your achilles tendon, they are the anti-squat. So yeah I guess that balances out.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

omg kawaiiiii

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

JaucheCharly posted:

The issue is EXTREMELY complex, but the consensus is that there are a whole host of factors that lead to this constellation of "poo poo".

We can vaguely summarize by saying that China was never good

^^^ The simplest answer is usually right.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

this isn't actually a history thread you dorks

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Is that poop still in your toilet from last week?! You can flush it down with a bucket of water even if the toilet can't flush normally.

Awful app highlights "peanut" for me for all this peanut talk :/

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

MSG is the best but I rarely use it because it's already is every sauce and soup mix already.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Oof, right in the feels!

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

We got married in Hawaii and invited everyone and took all the money and only had 20 guests :getin:

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

I saw this on the BBC and thought you should see it:

Taiwan politician's funeral features 50 pole dancers - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-38528122

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

More kebab crackdowns :(

Beijing pollution: Police force to combat toxic smog - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-china-38545649

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

The Dalai Lama will be reincarnated as a 45-year old party official whose wife's family owns a paper mill in the Lhasa suburbs.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Sheep-Goats posted:

This is a street map of Bangkok, that you are showing to a taxi driver, in Bangkok.

Many of the cab drivers I used in Bangkok were actually from lovely mountain villages and they had no idea of anything outside the route between Khao San and the airport. The tuktuk bros were more likely to be local/familiar.
I always wondered if the multiple flipped over taxis on the way to the airport were a frequent occurrence or if they just left wrecks abandoned until scrap pickers took it away.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Pair the obsolete landmarks with a scribbled map like this without labels. Where am I now? What was this circle again?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Automatic Slim posted:

So can you pick and choose which organs you wanted to donate? Or is it all in/ all out?

Many countries let you choose. Japan is opt-in and I would say a majority of people, especially older generations, refuse to donate on religious grounds.
But they'll happily take a donated organ if they need to. Israel was recently kicked out of the EU transplant system for similar reasons.

The back of my insurance card:
1. Brain and/or cardiac death
2. Cardiac death only
3. None

Cross out organs you refuse to donate:
heart lungs liver kidney pancreas colon eyes

Only registered members can see post attachments!

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

I'm confused why a 3 year old would keep eating something that didn't taste good.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

JaucheCharly posted:

Sometimes toddlers eat stuff that they find under the couch.

Toddlers yes*, but three-year-olds are picky as hell. Source: I'm a preschool teacher.

*Sometimes -> always

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Japan says 黒人 and 白人 etc. It's the same as English?!?

I'm mourning trolling about Taiwan:

Trump agrees to honour 'One China' policy despite threats - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-china-38927891

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

ladron posted:

there's a brand of korean instant ramen called "nagasaki"

That's probably not malicious. Nagasaki is a beautiful city with lots of ramen.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

I lolled

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

HK is a cool, good and fun place. I especially like Bird Garden, Goldfish Market and Ocean park. Do NOT get HKD 30 noodles from an ~authentic local shop~ I tried a few times and things got worse and worse and I wish I just got Thai food in Mong Kok (kekeke) again instead.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

cheer up

the world will end soon

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Chicken is 鶏 sorry about your ugly characters.

傘 umbrella 瓦 roof tile and 壺 clay pot are still my favorites.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

The lollest part of that is that of all the Asian languages, Korean actually sounds like that.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

I have a Russian friend here in Japan and we communicate in Japanese. It is hilarious to watch. My Indonesian friends also mostly communicate in Japanese and our texts look so dumb with elementary Japanese written out in the alphabet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Persistence Deathmatch
Roppongi touts vs Istanbul carpet bros

• Locked thread