Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

I ran into a story of a farmer who snatched a string of extremely rare iron Taiping coins from one of these furnaces and hid them. He revealed them when the Leap was over and was rewarded for saving a priceless piece of revolutionary history, but it was basically a 50/50 chance of getting sent to a camp. Who knows how many valuable artifacts got tossed in next to spoons and old nails and lost forever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

mojo1701a posted:

Not sure if I'd rather see the Chinese remake of Dirty Dancing or Major League. Given the right creative work (I know, I know), a Chinese version of Dirty Dancing could be some biting commentary.

As for Major League, I'd love to see them try to one-up Charlie Sheen.

Dirty Dancing, set in a resort in China's beautiful South China Sea.

Major League, but when they get to the playoffs the plot suddenly becomes about killing the Japanese devils and baseball is never mentioned again.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Indian engineers specifically have a reputation for being super efficient at the specific tasks they are given, and zero initiative to go beyond that, because that's what's been beaten into them in their whole educational career.

It's not that they can't be creative or take initiative, it's that they've been trained not to. Once they unlearn that they do fine.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Koramei posted:

I remember watching a Japanese movie where there was this history teacher (who I think was supposed to be a good teacher) is trying to pick up this chick by teaching her history, and what they go over is only like the most irrelevant intricate details about formations and what generals were where and so on during a battle, getting her to memorize every single part of it.

I remember being annoyed in school that my history teachers just ignored battles totally and taught other stuff but hot drat if it would have been anything like how that movie portrayed it in Japan I'm glad I got to skip it.

I kind of dislike how Chinese history gets taught in the US. It's all dynasty Y, they had nice pottery, then a hundred years later comes dynasty Z, they were known for their poetry zzz... Like give kids just a little info on the insanely bloody three sided civil war full of cannibalism and treachery that occurred in between Y and Z, it might spark a little more interest.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

There was one retarded goon who was caught completely red handed dealing drugs, 100% open and shut. They held him for months but literally had no idea how to prosecute since he wouldn't sign the confession, so eventually they just deported him.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

LentThem posted:

The truth is that Mao have brought the calamitous century of foreign domination in China to its end and saved the whole nation from the perpetual chaos. This simply outweighs all administration failures hereafter.
This is already the consensus among all the reasonable and unbiased Chinese.
They know what are the facts and not brainwashed!
All discourses challenging this are basically malice.
For those white worshippers who keep whining that many many people died, please consider 1. The percentage of male killed in the civil war of US. and 2. Thanksgiving thanks Whom? Actually it is completely hilarious

Is this a real quote? There's no way to tell.

Bringing up the American Civil War is bizarre considering China had a civil war at the exact same time that killed twenty times more people.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

日 does not actually look like the sun. Being round is like the main thing the sun does besides being bright.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Xelkelvos posted:

The original pictogram was originally a circle with a dot or line in it fwiw. Eventually the circle became square and the dot became a line that went the whole way across. There's a separate radical/character that's a square that means mouth.

Source: http://www.ancientscripts.com/chinese.html
Yeah, I know that and think it's cool, but the person in the article is looking at 日 and seeing 🌞 the same way I see "sun" and think 🌞, because that's what we were taught.

Nowadays Chinese really isn't pictorial outside of like, 龜.

Like I sort of get what she was saying but I think its not quite as different or unique as she thinks it is. You get into like Latin roots and stuff in English where words are assembled from the meaning of smaller components.

I dunno, not really a linguistics guy.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

The Taiping definitely had a class component, but it wasn't a purely rural peasant thing like that guy seems to think it was. They were more firmly in control of the cities than the countryside for the most part.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Trade war would hurt China more, but it would be really bad for the US too. Like, that's why we don't normally do trade wars, because everyone loses.

I'm really not liking this brave new world where every major power is ruled by corrupt neo-mercantilist ethnonationalists.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

My wife just gave me a copy of "Common Knowledge About Chinese History" a bilingual reader put out by the Overseas Chinese Affairs Office of the State Council.

It skips straight from the War to Resist US Aggression and Aid Korea to Deng Xiaoping's reforms. I guess nothing of note happened in between.

The final section is titled "China as a World Power in Sports".

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

"With eight years of extreme hardship and fighting, Chinese people won the Anti-Japanese war."

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

"Mao Anying died a heroic death at his working post in the campaign room. He sleeps eternally on the Korean soil."

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Baronjutter posted:

I really don't know much about Taiwan history so I was reading up on some 101 level stuff and holy poo poo the "white terror" lasted a long time. Much like south korea it seems like it was a horrible right wing dictatorship until pretty recently. They killed or imprisoned all their social and political elite too, just like Mao. Every china is worst china.

Hella lovely but in terms of scale still a fraction as awful as the mainland even after adjusting for population.

I liked the part where they kept seats for all the other provinces in the assembly so even if every single voter in Taiwan opposed the KMT it would get cancelled out by some old guys "representing" Sichuan and Gansu.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Fojar38 posted:

I've been saying for years amidst all the "Yankee go home!" attitudes that you see from lots of US allies that is dangerous because these guys don't seem to understand just how much of the current world order exists at the whims of the US and it's vindicating to see the rhetoric change from "Warmongering Americans, I hope you decline!" to "Oh poo poo come back please."

Also really weird to see people saying that we're at the end of the American century when apparently the US can alter the entire global order with a single presidential election. Yeah definitely a sign of declining US influence.

We all gone be that guy blowing up his ex's phone with desperate drunk texts at three in the morning but the ex is teh global elites.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Pirate Radar posted:

I hope so much that Haier's dalliance pays off! Sounds great for him.

But we all know he's gonna have an update or two about how it's going great and she might be the one, then a week or two later come back with an insane tale of how he just got Chinared harder than ever before.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

If you have a P.E., how does $3,000 a month sound worth it to you? You should be making a lot more than that right now unless you live in an extremely low cost of living area. Line up a job before you go, and hopefully you have some connections with a an international firm because there's not a lot of reason for a local Chinese firm to hire you when they can get a fresh Chinese university grad to chabuduo it for a tenth your salary.

Like if you desperately want to live in China for the experience you can do it. But if you and the kid are just along for the ride and you're just going to move there without a job and fire resumes into the smog it's insane.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Think I told this story before but anyway,

My dad used to work with a Chinese guy who married a mail order bride from the mainland. The story was that his first generation immigrant parents were insistent that he not only had to marry a Chinese girl, but it had to be a Chinese girl from their specific home city in China. He was unsuccessful at finding such a girl in Chinatown, so they got in touch with a matchmaker. This was pre-internet, so it was literally a place with binders full of women, and he just picked the one with the prettiest head shot and basically no other information to go on. It actually worked out great, they took a shine to each other immediately. After growing up in the Cultural Revolution his new wife was absolutely thrilled with democracy and capitalism, starting her own seamstress business and getting used to America in no time.

They didn't try to make lightning strike twice though, their son married a nice Puerto Rican girl he met in college.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

hakimashou posted:

I had a (Han Chinese) friend who hated eating at Muslim restaurants because "rats walk on everything."

He was uncomfortable around Chinese muslims because when he was a kid someone told him that they robbed people and threatened to stab them with the A I D S needle.

Tough poo poo for him because I loved me some Chinese Muslim food.

There's supposedly an authentic chuanr cart somewhere in NYC's Chinatown but I haven't managed to catch it yet. :(

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

corn and red bean, that's what I want on my dessert

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

They aren't even asking for independence any more, just meaningful autonomy.

There is basically no point in trying to debate though.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

E_P posted:

I like Haier because everyone one has 1 or 2 wierd hook up stories (especially out here in Asia) and then they usually becomes traumatised and move on to something else but Haier's stories are like watching a bird fly into a closed window over and over and over.

someone post the scooter guy and imagine the hole in the ground is a hair cave

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Deceitful Penguin posted:

While I don't think 'Johnny Foreigner' is a uniquely E-Asian idea they certainly seem to have even less self-awareness about the whole thing than the usual suspects.

The closest I can think of, that isn't actually malicious though is when yanks call black people that ain't American "African-Americans".

I occasionally hear idiots use "American" to mean white, as in "Dude that Asian chick at the party last night was sooo hot. Her American friend was pretty cute too."

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Fojar38 posted:

*overlooking slummy industrial wasteland stretching in all directions over the horizon*

i am going to sell so much insurance

My grandfather worked for AIG back when they mostly did business in China. They sold this weird policy which would cover your child against injury but only if they were wearing a special hat at the time of the accident. So the hat was basically a status symbol to show your parents are rich. Seemed to me like it might be counterproductive and increase the odds of the kid getting beaten up. :shrug:

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

It's going to be real weird three years from now, when China surpasses the US by 2020.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

The simplifications that are just changing a radical to a shorthand version are fine.

农 infuriates me though.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Magna Kaser posted:

I've actually read it's the weirdo Yale-Mandarin romanization that leads to the best pronunciation from English speakers, since it was designed specifically for English speakers to learn Mandarin, but forget that one.

To an extent it wasn't even designed for actual learning, it was more so a US soldier could open his emergency phrasebook and read out "Wou meigworen, bu sheji" and hopefully be close enough to intelligible to not get shot.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

JaucheCharly posted:

This one is good too, but the one that I mean is called "Mao's great famine"

I read that, thought it was a pretty good read. Some people take issue with his death toll estimate methodology, but it's a pretty minor component of the book, and it's not like killing "only" twenty million would make any difference in how we evaluate the Great Leap.

He has a third one, "Tragedy of Liberation", about the post war purges, but I haven't read it since I don't really need more bad feels at the moment.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Glenn Quebec posted:

No way man I love running up to ethnic groups and marginalize whatever horrific historical event happened to their face

Must suck for you that China marginalizes their horrific events on their own.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Atlas Hugged posted:

I would guess yes. My uneducated opinion based on the Chinese loan words I've encountered is that they try to imitate the sound with characters that reflect at least a literal meaning (雷射, leishe, thunder shoot, laser) and if they can't get the sounds close they'll go for just the characters (熱狗, regou, hot dog).

I wonder how old the word is, because in old Ming dynasty military texts they call primitive grenades huoqiu 火球, fire balls.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

China, your language has like five syllables, your homophones are the least significant homophones on the planet

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

My dad used to supervise a 911 call center and they dealt with a third party service for anything beyond Spanish. The first thing that would happen is it would go to an expert who could listen to terrified screams in fifty languages and quickly figure out which one it is before redirecting.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

My local Chinese place is pretty authentic as these things go, at least I assume so based on the menu and clientele. Ordered spicy chicken tonight and they screwed it up. Mrs. P-Mack specifically asked for "regular spicy, not white people spicy," so I pick it up on my way home from work but when I get home and check the receipt it specifically says at the bottom "少辣 little spicy" and sure enough nary a peppercorn in sight.

So I go back and explain, and the owner takes it back no questions asked and after a few minutes of waiting comes back and hands the right order to me. So I'm glad, but in the back of my mind I'm saying "Wait a minute, I thought this place was authentic, but here they are accepting responsibility and immediately fixing the customer's problem without complaint or argument."

As it turns out they just reheated the same dish and gave it back to me with no corrections, properly assuming I wasn't going to bother coming back a third time, so my faith in them was restored.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Yeah I should have clarified this was a Sichuan place so it's normally legit spicy.

Dak galbi infuriates me with the spread between how spicy they act like it is and how spicy it really is.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

kimcicle posted:

I really want to know his logic as to why he went to Korea in the first place. Then again I guess that's why people travel to NYC then promptly book a table at the TGI Fridays in Time Square.

Everything else near times square sucks too and is even more overpriced.

The answer is to not go to Times Square but tourists gonna tourist.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Jose posted:

How many people is Mao directly responsible for the deaths of both intentionally and unintentionally? Like stupid stuff including the famine after killing sparrows

The wikipedia page for "List of campaigns of the Communist Party of China" conveniently goes year/name/description/number of deaths.

Take the lowball on everything and it's still more than Japan killed, and they were trying pretty hard.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

I overheard the electrician at a project I'm working on mutter "chabuduo" to himself and now I'm nervous.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

JaucheCharly posted:

Didn't you follow up?

太麻煩了 :shrug:

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Anyone have any idea what the real deal is with China hiring the company formerly known as blackwater? I thought they were doing just fine handling their Uighur massacring in house.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

webmeister posted:

Please tell me the Brazilian carrier is crewed entirely by favela kids in flip-flops

It's being decommissioned.

Which also means Argentina's carrierless naval air arm will need to find a new training space. Falklands War 2 is gonna be hilarious.

• Locked thread