Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

MetaJew posted:

I had a shop teacher who told a story about kids driving through his lawn when he had a house on a corner lot. He apparently hammered a bunch of nails through a 2x4 and placed it well into his yard where they had been driving. He said that one night not much later, a car had to be towed from it.

How Repairman Jack of him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
Crosspost from the Military Food Thread

chitoryu12 posted:

Chinese Ration (Type 13)

Last year, we got to see the 2010 model of the PLA's ration, and it mostly came up wanting apart from a delicious moon cake. In 2013, the ration was redesigned with a brown bag and some new components. How does it stand up to the original?

Well, for the first time in military food history, it actually got worse.

The bag is little different from the Type 10 other than being brown instead of green.

Google Translate continues to be Google Translate.

There's some simple heating instructions on the back. Notice how the diagram uses an old Chinese canteen design instead of the more modern ones, which resemble NATO canteens.

On the work kitchen table, you see the entire contents of the ration. This is extremely sparse compared to most other countries, with even less food than the already weak Type 10.

There are two entree bags, which come already packed in the flameless ration heater and wrapped in a sort of foam insulating bag.

See that dust? I have no idea what it is, but both entree bags were coated in it. Even after I wiped it off, it returned after heating. I have some serious concerns.

Removed from the heater, these are covered in dust. What the hell?

The bags generate quite a bit of steam when cooking, far more than an American MRE.

Regardless of the ingredients, these were some of the blandest meals I've encountered. But they had a bigger problem, one which requires me to provide you with video evidence:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UCSyzEeXjF4

I've never encountered a ration entree so hard as to require chopping. It comes out of the heater practically feeling like there's a solid coating over it. It's a downright chore to try and get bite-sized pieces out of this bullshit.

This is your entire accessory pack: a spoon and a napkin.

The only side dish is this tiny little pack of chopped pickled cucumbers, which would be better used as a topping with how small the portion is.

The powdered beverage has a similar gross malty taste as the previous one, and I dumped most of it out. Amazingly, that tiny little bag it comes with is meant to be a portable cup! I can't imagine anyone but a ninja being able to mix and drink from that flimsy thing without spilling it everywhere.

And...that's it. Nothing else. Four items.

----------------

This is the most pathetic showing I've ever seen, and I've eaten loving cat food from Kazakhstan. I can't imagine even a small Chinese soldier getting sufficient food for a day of combat from this. It's deficient in virtually every category, and would be deficient in every category if it didn't include a heater.

I'm also 99% sure that powder on the bags is carcinogenic.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

Devils Affricate posted:

I would love for them to pursue this angle of attack, only to be utterly confused by the complete lack of butthurt other countries exhibit when it comes to such issues.

That said, as a Californian, secession would be pretty sweet. Oregon and Washington can come too I guess.

https://yescalifornia.org/

It is a real thing.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

Moonshine Rhyme posted:

As a southern Californian, I wish for nothing more than secession and the consequent conquering and splitting of California

As a northern Californian, sure; but you get to keep San Bernardino.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry
Boner pills made from Zheng He's fleet.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

Blistex posted:

People really underestimate white rice because they always attribute diabetes to cola, candy, and other things that are very sugary and sweet. I know a guy from Taiwan who has sworn off of white rice altogether because of his diabetes. He was lucky because in Taiwan they say, "poo poo you have diabetes, you'd better change your diet and maybe take insulin" while in the mainland a lot of it goes undiagnosed or even reported. It's just one day grandma stubs her toe, it turns black, and she has to get her foot amputated.

Traditional Chinese Mutilation

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry
Taiwan Number 1 -- No why would you want a squirrel?

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry
That squirrel thing has now been shared with many US veterans of foreign wars from which the general response was, 'even a Private wouldn't be that deranged.'

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry
They're not getting first choice on boner meds from them.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

GotLag posted:

Translation: somebody didn't get bribed

A friend of mine works for one of the US Tencent offices and said that was the interoffice rumor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry
https://www.theverge.com/2018/10/29/18027032/foxconn-wisconsin-plant-jobs-deal-subsidy-governor-scott-walker

link fixed

Humbug Scoolbus fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Oct 30, 2018

• Locked thread