Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Anthony Chuzzlewit
Oct 26, 2008

good for healthy

are you guys ok

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anthony Chuzzlewit
Oct 26, 2008

good for healthy

Automatic Slim posted:

Any missed opportunity to make someone lose face means you've lost face.

Here's two guys on motor bikes roaming around the Chinese countryside talking about how the Chinese will never accept them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y2_L71lFItk

The one about crumbling buildings is pretty good too. That village could be in the next Fallout game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o9eXi3RL8q4

I like the shrine that is still in use by the locals, but a 10 foot section of wall fell over and nobody bothers fixing it or even cleaning up the rubble.

Anthony Chuzzlewit
Oct 26, 2008

good for healthy

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

train groping story

nihon tryna get a hand squeezy

But seriously, after reading some stories in the Japan thread about the justice system over there, I'm not sure the boyfriend punching that guy was the best idea. If the cops catch you don't they basically force you to confess?

Anthony Chuzzlewit
Oct 26, 2008

good for healthy

There's probably a big difference between goons who can get work + make a life overseas versus the average basement dwelling shitposter who can barely microwave a burrito.

Anthony Chuzzlewit
Oct 26, 2008

good for healthy

Blistex posted:

cleaning auntie story

I'm curious, in China, if someone does a bad job, is there some trick to getting things done right while avoiding the face trap? I remember something similar one of our Korea goons described, where when someone messes up you had to do this weird dance where both of you pretend the other person did no wrong. The example they gave was if a teacher catches a kid standing in a cloud of cigarette smoke, it went like:
- teacher accuses kid of smoking
- kid says "I wasn't smoking"
- teacher can't press it b/c accusing kid of lying will cause face loss
- teacher says "hmm ok, nevermind .... oh on a completely unrelated topic, you have so much potential, you could do better in school. Stay after school 2 hours for extra study the rest of this week."
- both of them know the kid just got detention, but don't have to admit it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anthony Chuzzlewit
Oct 26, 2008

good for healthy

MissKeewi posted:

I work at a cheese processing plant in America and we have some Chinese and Thai customers who want cheese that won't melt. Not even a little. The R&D team has been in the lab several times this month trying to fry up wontons with blocks of mozzarella in them that won't melt. We've also had a Chinese customer who wanted us to make processed cheese slices for sandwiches that won't melt at all. What's up with that? They don't want melty goodness? I mean keeping integrity for sandwiches is a little understandable, but not melting at all?

Also, R&D is trying to make slice-able cream cheese. What the hell would you need that for? Not sure if that's for Chinese customers or not.

Does it have to contain actual cheese? A few years ago (this was in the US) my wife brought home shredded cheese from the dollar store. It looked fine until I tried to make nachos with it. Instead of melting, it just turned hard and the edges turned brown. Looking closer at the label, it didn't say "cheese", it said "cheese food product". The main ingredients were oils of some kind.

• Locked thread