Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
There was pepper spray and arrests going on last night.

Funny enough I didn't know poo poo was happening last night until I was in the metro and heard an announcement "not stopping at sai ying poon because of an incident"

Think that just made people wanted to go there

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

Haier posted:

So have any of these constant HK protests ever accomplished anything except getting places shut down or too crowded? I think the CCP see them the same way some guy in Zimbabwe sees them. "Heh, why are they standing around?"

Seriously?

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Hong Kong is my home. I'm not going anywhere.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Funny enough, Hong Kong indigneous, the nativist party is actually full of kids born/grew up in the mainland.

Edward Leung tin kei and quite a few handful of the new kids reject their mainland roots and hate mainlanders.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

simplefish posted:

Not to turn this thread into groverhaus, but I got the pipes cemented in.

Did I do it to UK building regulations? No.
Was the original building built to UK building regulations? No.
Was what the guy who added a tap before me did done to any sort of building regulations? No.
Could I get the tools and materials that I'm familiar with? No.
Is mine an improvement and will it work? Yes.

Need more house stories

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

simplefish posted:

This old man, Chaiman Xi,
Wants to purge the PRC;
Gimcrack values lack, foreigners displease,
Blame it on the Japanese.

:vince:

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
And all the good people got killed or left this country.

So the saying goes.

Things are better just incrementally.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
I tried to make a few jokes here and there but now it's sinking in.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

fish and chips and dip posted:

I had something wonderful happen today. In my office building we have three elevators, one for odd floors, one for even floors and one that stops at every floor, all three are synced so if you can't call the even or odd elevator it's either all or none. I was going back to my office after lunch in the odd numbered elevator, it stopped at 11th floor, and two young women got on then they got off at the 13th floor and took the stairs down to the 12th floor.

hey where in china do you live right now

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

Haier posted:

Corrupt local politicians are sitting around outside with tables full of black money to "loan" to farmers, hoping when/if they repay it all back it will become white money for them. They are loaning stacks of 3 lakhs rupees (300 thousand rupees), which is an amount that is nearly impossible for any farmer to ever pay back in his lifetime. LMAO at these bastards.

Hope the taxman pays attention to this and brings all of them over for questioning

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
It started as a gimmick day to boost the number of transactions and get good reviews for a few small time stores. The ball started rolling and other stores started offering discounts as well to catch up with reviews.

Then it became a shopping day. Chinese internet users were making sarcastic jokes about being single that day (nov 11) and using the sale as shopping therapy. The internet sellers took on the meme and now it's reality.

But Katy Perry is not performing in China because of a family emergency (trump won).

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
It's pretty common.

Especially recently with news covering brexit

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
But if you are some guy living in interior of bumfuck country then I guess you won't need to or will learn much.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

The Great Autismo! posted:

You have to view caberhams posts as like a literal 1%er from the best city in Canada

Like by "bumfuck" he means "everyone lower than me". This is a guy who can't stop shitposting about how much he hates Osaka

Cabe I looooove you

:glomp:

Osaka is horrible. Tokyo is just so much better. The only time you really want to go to Osaka is if you are sick of Tokyo, or you are on your way to Kyoto and want to see a big city. Or you have some friends or family there.

Oh and I'm not living with any SA posters, as much as i want to. This thread is the bizzarro China comedy thread. I have experienced similar stories myself but luckily it's not on a constant daily basis.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Today there was a horrible taxi accident in Hong Kong.

Some guy just ran into a group of pedestrians and instead of checking on the victims. He was inspecting his car. Yeah some bystanders got really pissed at him. I tried to find the video on youtube but it's only on facebook groups.

When I searched HK taxi accident these are the first two videos.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wcrKd7tJSXM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x9-2Zpdz81g

Nevermind, here's the video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=20GAjfE_Ofg

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

Outrail posted:

What a piece of poo poo. Any reports of mob action?

That doesn't really happen in Hong Kong. Things are pretty tame here. Taxi driver just got arrested

Unless you count the busloads of paid protesters from China mobbing over reporters :china:

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
When it comes to low taxation and free market, it's 2 systems. When it's about politics and soverignty it's one country!

I always find it funny how on hand HK is derided in China for licking the boots of their imperial overlords, yet on the other hand HK independence is this grave and serious insult. Several Chinese people I've talked to genuinely believe that China somehow liberated HK from under the British yoke and that HK'ers should be grateful towards Beijing.

Basically SARs. It was 2005 and the city came to a stand still. No tourism, no investment nothing. That's when the economic flood gates opened. People from 17 mainland cities could visit Hong Kong on an individual basis. The economy got jumped started and got back on its feet.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T6X2uwlQGQM

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
CALL THE FOOD AND HYGIENE DEPARTMENT

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uZMF0Br67Jk

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

Pon de Bundy posted:

what are chinese weddings like? like is it expected to spend a huge amount of money to show how important you are? would a a wedding on the cheap be very face lose worthy?? i've been to some pretty sad American weddings, like they didn't even try sad.

Depends on the region and family back ground

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

Nucken Futz posted:

The way I understood it, the prefered destination for those 80K was solely based on the name - Richmond

Baller feng shui I guess

It was near the airport and land was cheap. Then it blossomed into a Chinese community

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
People first moved to NYC and Toronto but the flight takes too long and the weather there is terrible.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

Dicky mouse posted:

The Patreon is annoying. Also the footage of him just pushing and baby care around was rather lovely.

He should have been showing photos/video detailing the quality of his house\wife\ parents in law

Haier how did you get pussy with out the "buy me poo poo" mentality of local women?

Just meet better girls who aren't gold diggers or have decent jobs/life and don't rely on men for everything

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Also be straight up honest: I'm not buying you poo poo. Some girls might scoff and walk off but it's their loss. Honestly this is not some cultural voodoo magic to figure out.

If the relationship is based on material exchange then you might as well just pay for a loving hooker.

It's not hard dating or being with better human beings instead of garbage people.

I might sympathize with some because they are just trying to escape poverty and whatever situation but that doesn't mean you have to be their mark

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Maybe the wife is also in the scam

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

nickmeister posted:

Huh? You mean foreigners eat rice?

(A surprised college sophomore in Taiwan asked me once).

It's bad rice so it doesn't count

:henget:

Risotto tastes good but feels really weird

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Except for Badminton, Table Tennis, and 跳水. I'm having a brain fart, someone translate for me

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dle9rGKkiKA

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=results

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Chinese badminton players deserved to be banned but the match system was prone to abuse.

that's my gripe with professional team sports like fouling on purpose in basketball or stalling the clock in soccer.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
What kind of koolaid is she drinking?

Normally you see that poo poo happens a lot more in the north. I'm kind of curious to see southerners being so gung-ho.

Maybe her parents are wealthy party members or businessmen or her family is entrenched in the establishment?

Or she's just dumb and believes state media A bit too much

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
I'm a wimp when it comes to cold weather, but I just go out for a run to keep my body warm. The worst part about cold weather in the sub tropics is that the temperature change can be relatively drastic and yo-yo back and forth between balmy/hot/muggy. It's 21/25 and then suddenly it's 13 or something stupid. Then the day after it's 21 again. It's not cold here in southern China, but the weather is still miserable. Mostly grey skies, high humidity, bad insulation. Heck, going outside you might even feel warmer than staying inside because of the sun light. Your clothes never dry and in poorer built homes, pools of condensation form on the tiles and mold grows everywhere.

But hey, it's winter and that means BBQ and hot pot season!

Living in the tropics means I can wear long sleeves shirt and jeans in 34C no problem

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

simplefish posted:

This is Good China (Hong Kong), not Bad China or Best China

I'm trying to work out where it is because it seems like somewhere I've been. Then again it isn't exactly an uncommon looking place

E: hey Jimmy has his phone number in the picture, I can call him next time I need a cab

Kowloon airport express station taxi stand

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

There is a strong pro-Beijing camp in HK, so it's not unfeasible. Could also be someone from the mainland who moved to HK, or the child of a mainland couple born in HK and who then chose a HK over PRC passport. For the latter, I've met several mainlanders like that in Shanghai, born in HK, but who chose PRC passports when they turned 18.

Some people just have strong ties to the HK government. A lot of civil servants hold British passports but still follow PRC policy.

1. Friend of mine was born in Canada, studied in the UK (subsidized by the HK government) and practices corporate law in Hong Kong. Her dad was the Director of Immigration Hong Kong and her mom was a school principal. Since her father was in a high position before the hand over, the family obtained UK citizenship. She was born in Canada and got Canadian citizenship as well! Oh and since HK is part of China now, she also has a HK-Chinese passport!

Pretty smart successful girl, and her family social circle is the upper circle of the HK government/big businesses/PRC government. They all love increased government spending, one belt one road, and greater cooperation between Hong Kong and China.

2. Another friend of mine works in corporate banking, she's directorate level for Asia Pacific Region and goes to China from time to time dealing with State owned Enterprises. Her family is typical Hong Kong middle class but she managed to get a degree in UCLA - BA Psychology and Economics. She worked her rear end off and climbed the corporate ladder. No, she didn't have to sleep with anyone but she does get quite a bit of unwanted advances. She deflects creepy dudes hitting on her by being super professional all the time.
They all have similar baseline opinions :

People just need to work harder for a better life instead of protesting for this and that.
Politics is bad and you shouldn't get too involved - everything is RIGGED. This is all just a geo-political game.
Most people are dumb and can't be trusted with democracy.
It's nice to see the world recognizing China because everyone else can't be/have less incentives to be as racist as before.
If you think immigrating to a foreign country will unlock job opportunities then you are dumb. There's a big glass ceiling for minorities. Whites will always be promoted before you do even with similar qualifications.
Don't get or give up US citizenship because global taxation blows.
I'm paying more taxes than everybody else, god drat poor people are abusing the system.
It sucks being a girl in the corporate world.
I want to quit my job and just open a cafe/small business but I need a bigger nest egg because most businesses are bound to fail.

This is the fun part, seeing the variations :

gently caress brown/black people messing around with the refugee claims process committing crimes while hiding behind the shield of human rights
Foreign governments loving suck and are not as good as our HK bureaucracy
HK is the crown jewel of China and would be a lot brighter if those protesters leave
Protesters are foreign agents or brainwashed by foreign media
Chinese State media is also a lie but we have inside information
China can only be stronger when America weakens.
There's no point in moving to the US with its retarded healthcare system

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

Patrocclesiastes posted:

Im having a job interview with a chinese company and it seems the interviewer is chinese as well here in Finland, any tips how to make the most face out of this

What kind of company is it?

If it's a tech company then just be as blunt as possible. Don't kiss rear end.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

Patrocclesiastes posted:

Thank you! Need to keep this in mind.

Ocean freight, so container traffic.

OH poo poo. KISS rear end

As someone who works in Manufacturing and hates dealing with logistics, yeah you gotta do it sleazy style. Everyone is going to swear and curse a lot. All the loving time because of random forms and time tables and poo poo.

If you want the job. Just say you are willing to work for the team and want the job really bad. And you want to learn from a successful multinational company. You can stay overtime and work up to Beijing time to get things done.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Glass the north.

Oh and Iverson needs a better agent. Instead of taking a taxi they could have taken an uber

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Yeah they were. And a bajillion other car hailing apps.

But those Chinese handlers were lovely. If Iverson posted his contract and live tweeted his status in weibo heads will loving roll.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Professional sport leagues in China are really sketchy. Lots of bribed refs, fixed matches and ties to gambling and state lottery

Even Yao ming got blocked

https://www.bloomberg.com/view/articles/2016-04-27/even-yao-ming-can-t-save-chinese-basketball

• Locked thread