Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Heer98
Apr 10, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heer98
Apr 10, 2009
That same persons twitter has a link to another story about a Chinese American journalists wife being held incommunicado in china as retaliation for his work, and right above that is a retweet of Kevin Rudd shamefully pandering with a post showing him fastidiously "studying" the great chairman Xi's speech from last year. What a horror show.

https://mobile.twitter.com/underbreath/status/952815272619945984

Heer98
Apr 10, 2009
Asian sex shops aren't like American ones though, where it's all body positive sex positive feminist sisters holding workshops. Like 80% of the shelf space in a lot of those places are silicone anime butts and vaginas... all of which purport to correspond to the relevant dimensions of certain anime characters. I'm sure there is a lot more knowledge of sexuality among the globalize middle classes, but your average little alleyway sex shop is usually a few sad dildos and a bunch of anime vaginas being sold to lonely nerds.

Heer98
Apr 10, 2009
I'm in Bangkok and I'm renting an airbnb from a Chinese woman. The day before I'm due to check in, I get a message telling me to ignore all the signs in the building saying no airbnb allowed and just to say that I'm a friend. There are huge signs everywhere that are like "NO AIRBNB, if you are staying here you are trespassing and will be arrested." It's a really aggro vibe that's kind of ruining my chill. Now I'm afraid to use the really awesome rooftop pool and fitness center because they both have signs up asking residents to report suspected Airbnb guests. On a scale of 1-10, how likely am I to be kicked out of this condo by the Thai Airbnb fun police?

Heer98
Apr 10, 2009
Former prime minister who was deposed in the most recent coup. Her brother is also a former prime minister, and he lives in exile because he was convicted of corruption back home. They led one of the biggest political factions in Thailand, and things were getting violent when the army stepped in.

Heer98
Apr 10, 2009

CIGNX posted:

This was an awesome read. A bizarre postscript to this guy's ordeal is that the lady he was investigating for GSK was rehired by GSK after he was released from prison. It almost seems like by imprisoning this guy, the Chinese government was sending a message to GSK not to mess with this lady and keep her on the payroll.

https://www.ft.com/content/87ff00ae-39d1-11e5-8613-07d16aad2152

Nobody here pays for FT, please repost the article

Heer98
Apr 10, 2009

uguu posted:

If you copy the link in google search, it'll take you to the article.

:aaaaa:

Heer98
Apr 10, 2009
One of my friends is a grad student and he spends all of his free time editing his Chinese professors papers. He actually got pretty good at it and now a bunch of Chinese professors in the faculty pay him under the table to edit their work.

He got taken to some New Years gala in NYC and offered what sounds suspiciously like a no show foreign professor job at a middle tier Chinese university, it actually sounds pretty awesome.

Heer98
Apr 10, 2009
The author is mocking the kind of stuff he heard during the cultural revolution

My friend keeps ragging on me to read three body problem, but the first half of the first book is sooooo slow. Is it worth slogging through?

Heer98
Apr 10, 2009

Fojar38 posted:

True communism requires everyone involved to act in good faith on the basis of everyone's shared class consciousness. Unsurprisingly this makes any communist ideological movements highly susceptible to being hijacked by strongmen.

Yeah, it just seems like the revolutions that necessarily preceded the rise of the most notable communists states were brutal, confusing and violent affairs that tended to select for the most well organized band of murderers. The kind of people who are psychologically equipped to win a revolution probably aren’t the kind of people you want running your country. Stalin, Mao and to a lesser extent even Castro made purging any other leftists with the credibility to challenge their primacy like absolute priority number one after establishing their people’s states.

Heer98
Apr 10, 2009

ekuNNN posted:

uhhh its super normal to have political parties organise in expat communities . Your reaction to it is weird and creepy.

They’re students studying abroad in the US, and it isn’t a political organization, they’re being forced to report on one another to the state back home to ensure their brains didn’t pock up any unclean thoughts abroad. The article was literally about this, the interviews students have been put through upon returning home by the security services and the staff that accompany them being on orders from said security services to build these cells.

Heer98
Apr 10, 2009
It’s china, so a lot of the really frivolous over enforcement of nuisance laws (or, in Xinjiang, the disappearances entire families) is done to prevent risk or get the numbers up for low level bureaucrats.

Heer98
Apr 10, 2009
On the flip side of that, I’ve met some incredibly smart and hardworking Chinese students who’ve spent the better part of a decade in the US doing undergrad+grad, and they almost always end up going home feeling dejected because work visas are so hard to get and a lot of companies assume they didn’t really earn their degrees.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heer98
Apr 10, 2009
I went to Thailand in February and I needed to speak to an airline representative in the baggage area. When the Thai girl up at the counter looked up and made eye contact with me, she had these giant gooey green, huuuuge pupil cat eye contacts on that made her look like a grey. I literally jumped in the air and made an audible yelp of fright lol

• Locked thread