Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
basically all of europe is being pretty much exactly as awful to ethnic and religious minorities now as the USA was in the run-up to the civil war, short of the actual literal owning of people. freed blacks had a really loving bleak social and economic outlook, and so do muslims immigrating to most of europe fleeing war zones and literal death.

france in particular is loving galaxy brain level racism, they otherize outside influences institutionally in their loving government linguistics department, in addition to the standard battery of horrifying xenophobia that is fairly standard throughout western europe that makes anyone without full naturalization a second class citizen and third choice for any job, especially menial jobs that immigrants usually end up taking

the italian political machine actively suppresses a majority of all votes by treating women as property and using intimidation tactics on any political outsider

spain is so hosed they're barely holding off a popular groundswell to have a regional succession crisis ala the American Civil War, only 150 years later

russia is...russia, that country is literally drinking itself to death because it is so incredibly depressing and pointless to live under the dystopia that has taken root there and it's still verboten to criticize them unless they are actively invading crimea (and even then you'll get some pushback)

israel is definitely on the road to a cultural genocide at this point and it's not ok to say that maybe they can cool it with settlement building in disputed areas to avoid making that situation worse

none of this will ever make the news for more than a day, whataboutism is so ingrained in national discourse that everyone except the fashionable targets are immune to criticism because everyone sucks. the fashionable targets now are the USA and the UK.

no place is good. every place sucks. the question is what kind of suck are we dealing with and how much that suck offends you. it'd be great if we could introduce that context when people are talking about cultures they have no concept of or contact with but even the wokest nerds will revert back to grade school napoleon complexes about this stuff.

Coolguye fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Jul 25, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

i heard that exact line about a thousand times during a big outreach thing i did for the rotary across germany and austria back in like 2014 or some poo poo. not a single loving person got that this literally meant that someone born outside of their country's borders could never be german or austrian and how that sentiment was three times as racist as anything they could quote from usa today.

there will never be any large scale studies quantifying this horseshit. there will never be any thinkpieces on how "europeans" can be more accepting and respectful of other cultures that become global memes pointing out how dumb they can be. there will never be any double-think articles about how chastising 'americans' as an entire, homogeneous unit is itself incredibly bigoted and absurd. there will never be any documentaries aimed at other cultures patiently explaining how the wonky cultural patchwork of the USA actually functions - instead they'll keep doing deep meditations on other cultures, selling them to american consumers, and then sneering at them for somehow not knowing it already. gently caress, there's still only the very occasional and always forgotten news article about how, no matter what way you slice it - culturally, geographically, or economically - the USA is 5-7 countries hastily welded together into one, so characterizing 'americans' as one thing is just as loving idiotic as characterizing 'europeans' as one thing. any german would balk at being lumped in with a spaniard, so you loving bet a midwestern cat would balk at being characterized with some dork from the pacifica or tidewater regions. international relations are immensely oversimplified because other countries only matter insofar as they affect an individual - and even with such a huge globalization push, they really don't.

and honestly, i think that's fine. wishing for ultimate fairness and fact in this sort of thing is wishing for like the final brick in the utopian framework that ends all hatred and suffering in the world. i have way bigger fish to fry personally and the world's got way bigger fish to fry generally. it's enough to understand, imo, that anyone who preoccupies themselves with how those country-people be all like UGHHN and we be all like HUUAAA is really just not worth listening to. i don't feel the need to engage every hypocritical dork out there, and i don't feel required to admit they have a point (because they don't). a large part of the reason i like posting in this thread as opposed to anything D&D is that the folks in here mostly reserve their venom for the CCP, which is in fact a monolith and it is in fact worth pissing on. even hate on "chinese characteristics" end up coming back to how the CCP has basically molested the culture of China for generations. if the CCP fell tomorrow and the country become more egalitarian and open as a result (which, during the interstitial periods where there wasn't an overarching government choking the life out of everything, it was), i think we'd find out exactly how many of these traditions are actually traditions versus bad habits instituted by a corrupt and rapacious government that was feeding on its own people.

Coolguye fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Jul 25, 2018

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

who managed to hurt only his own loving hand lol

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Pirate Radar posted:

Sir, this is a McDonald’s drive thrPOST THE SUIT

is there such a thing as a men's wearhouse drive through

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

in what universe has it ever been appropriate for a country to have a drat national day over something they had no involvement in

it's like if france had a national day remembering the trail of tears. it's not just absurd, from a lot of perspectives it's incredibly insulting to the countries actually involved.

of course in the CCP's world anything pushing the 'oh poor downtrodden china' angle is probably good so

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Imperialist Dog posted:

A woman gets abducted by police in broad daylight for sharing video of the explosion outside the American embassy.
is there a followup to that because i am not seeing the hauling off portion here

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

bring back old gbs posted:

u had to click a single link, then a play button :smith:

its plainclothes officers claiming to be her family hauling her off then the uniformed police show up and tell everybody to move along

oh sheesh thanks

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Taintrunner posted:

America is not the worst thing to ever happen to the world over the past several fifty thousand years, but goddamn it's getting up there.

it's not even in the top 50 percentile in the last 75 seconds

if you think otherwise you really need to travel more

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Grevling posted:

You have no idea what you're talking about.
Are you talking about their making up new words? I guess Iceland is the most racist country on earth then. A scorching hot take and I'm planning to install it in my sauna.

man no that is like less than 1% of what I was talking about but you are so obviously itching to die on that hill I have no motivation to correct you. how bout you grab a chill pill and come back coz right now you don’t need any hot takes from anyone, you make your own.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

i liked power khan's guess better

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

I slept on a toilet in the British Museum once. I was at MOLA doing research and I'd been up all night before, and my bus back to Bournemouth wasn't for five more hours. It was the cheapest sleeping option and not bad at all. Also, it's a pretty loving great museum and FREE.

#wanderlust

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

that's exactly who daddy xi is

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

THIS LOOKS LIKE A JOB FOR LOGAN “THE BOGAN” STROGAN AND HIS TRUSTY SIDEKICK VICTORIA BITTER

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

caberham posted:

Ummmm isn’t that actually kind of trashy and desecrating the flag?

no

• Locked thread