Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse
30 page word document you said. Just post it already!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse
Chinese car vs. import bike

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse

The Great Autismo! posted:

like today I went to swim for working out and two...I would guess 10-12 year olds followed me into the locker room and one of them was like "the foreigner will shower maybe we can have a look" and they awkwardly stood at the shower while I changed and I just ignored them because why ever bother. I had an old man scream in my face when I was changing clothes HALLLOUUUU after I finished my work out. I had a girl in my apartment complex, after I held the elevator door for her, tell me she didn't want to take this elevator. And a grandma and her granddaughter got up and moved seats when I sat down next to them on the bus.

All of this happened to me...not in the past year, not in the past month...in the past 24 hours. Should I start a hash tag? No, I came home to my wife and kid and ignored it like an adult, tho I did mock it on WeChat in one group I'm a part of, and mock it here on somethingawful.

Welcome to a day in the life of TGA, the long blond hair, blue eyed foreigner who understands Chinese. Today was worse than most...but not by much

There's no racism in China. We have 53 ethnicities living peaceful with each other.

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse
How's China's shadow banking sector doing? Gonna drag us all into the abyss soon?

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse

Sheep-Goats posted:

90% of the benefit of a wife/kids is using them as an excuse.

Wife alone is a poo poo excuse and makes you look like a twat, but wife & kid is a totally legit excuse for anything. Might even drop in some sick parents for the profit. A true and caring family man.

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse

Booty Pageant posted:

i ever tell you about the time i got stuck in a kung fu camp with a bunch of eastern europeans

How hung over were you from drinking woodglue and/or paint thinner?

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse

Pirate Radar posted:

It's like watching a raccoon break into a supermarket. I can't believe this is happening but I respect that he's having the time of his life.

It's happening and I fully approve of it and this post.

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse

Glenn Quebec posted:

So, she wants to gently caress an older guy? I really fail to see it.

Ooooolder guy, 20 yo girl. Totally kinky. They might even let the light on.

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse

ded posted:

Look! Swimming fun! All enjoy! You enjoy too if you not dumb laowai!

Algae or urine, you decide.

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse

Deceitful Penguin posted:

Yep, I remember him.

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse

Falun Bong Refugee posted:

Expecting self awareness from a bunch of losers that flew half way around the planet just so they could get laid without girls laughing at their dick is a bit of a pipe dream.

Cato, the important question is, if your cabbage grows better if you harrangue it daily.

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse

Kharnifex posted:

not only sideways, but the pubes are straight!

I am pretty sure FBR is actually DaBongLord

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3QIlCC8_xMw

My secret backstory for him is that he was a good Asian student in Australia however he was jokingly invited to a house party at school and the skater kids were amazed at his ability to imbibe marijuana due to his Chinese body being different to western bodies. Years of Marijuana has twisted his mind and he now vents and rants in GBS as an outlet for his frustration that he has in being a youtube celeb.

Sounds like a hero of the IMPOTENT RAGE universe.

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse

THE PWNER posted:

Try to live in the US for some time

-walk by someone wearing a BLUE LIVES MATTER t-shirt
-drive past a 50,000 strong church sermon
-buy a tomato stew that's called a pizza
-get a minor health issue and pay $50000 to fix it
-try to get educated and find myself indebted for life
-get shot by a cop

You forgot the part where you have to tip at every step.

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse

Dissapointed Owl posted:

...posting nigh daily about the exceedingly sad sexual experiences you have with people you genuinely seem to loathe...

You're describing pure comedy gold, that even the ancients held in best regard. Well, that and the poop and projectile vomit stories.

The rotten background that it takes place in is the icing on the cake, these stories would be half as funny without it.

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse

Facebook Aunt posted:

Being insufferable is their culture, please respect it.

Hey, central and northern Europe, it doesn't get any better on this world.

*blows smoke in your face*

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse

simplefish posted:

FRIDAY, 28 OCTOBER

WESTERNER FOUND STABBED TO DEATH IN SHENZEN APARTMENT

Police today released further details about the murder which has shocked Shenzen. The body of Harry A. Ier, from Tugtown, OH, was discovered by a neighbour late Thursday night, after she was looking through the door's peephole from the corridor.

"I was just trying to see what the foreigner was doing," said Ah Mei, who refused to clarify her name further. "You know how these foreigners can be. They are so strange, so it is normal to check on them often. Although he is a professional, but he often has some strange lady visitors. So I check often."

Ah Mei saw something which prompted her to call police. "I saw a lot of red. I know that the floor should not be red and there was a white blur too. So I called a police."

The naked body of Mr. Harry was discovered with twenty-six stab wounds, in which officers described as a "frenzied" pattern.

"It is sad," said Inspector Ming of the murder. "The westerners come over here and do bad things in bars and befriend black Africans, hanging around the wrong crowd."

Police sources say that they are currently treating the attack as drugs-related, after a women's compact was found beside the sink, containing cocaine instead of make-up.

Inspector Ming concluded, "Drug belongs in movies. No good Chinese would or should ever take drug. Drug is a harmful and dangerous substance, but some foreigners, for example Africans, play loose with the risks."

No suspect had been named at present, but the victim's phone records are said to be "a key piece of the puzzle."

Not bad.

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse
Nah, she's probably only got a thing for weirdly large insertions.

Maybe she also does large doses of kaffeine. Enemas or some sort of that poo poo

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse

Let us English posted:

If it didn't freeze, the pigeons would eat it, get drunk, and then fly into cars.

This brightened up my day. Thx. The wingless rats must be dancing in the streets too.

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse
How come nobody ever posts bad things about Taiwan?

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse
Yea, but why go to france?

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse
We need that greentext reposted, warning not to learn mandarin.

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse

UltraRed posted:

I'm going to do an effort post on why I agree with GBM that learning Chinese is a waste of time:

I started learning Chinese ten years ago. I speak it fairly fluently but am not the greatest...especially now. My reading/writing has decayed from disuse, but I still can do it.

The trap of Chinese language learning is that it's very difficult, the characters are cool, and the perceived value of it is very high. Certain types of people can get very, very sucked in by Chinese--and I am that kind of person. I think I spent a good 3-4 year period where my primary recreational activity was "studying Chinese." It was the thing I did if I had extra time. I'd drill characters for hours at a time, I'd watch Chinese TV shows that I could barely understand with Mandarin subtitles and no English as semi-immersion training. I'd go out of my way to find Chinese people just so I could speak Mandarin in a real situation.

I ended up getting quite good at it very fast--but only because I sunk so much time into it. I self-studied so much over a summer that I tested out of Intermediate Chinese so I could get into the more advanced classes quicker. Studying Chinese basically became the thing I wanted to do and base my entire career around. Of course I didn't know what, exactly, that career would be. Going back to the "high perceived value," when you are studying Chinese everyone you talk to about it acts like it's some great and valuable thing you are doing, and you start to really buy into that as well. I might not have known how exactly "being good at Mandarin" was going to benefit me in life or set a career path for me, but I knew that it would all work itself out.

So from age 20 until 24 or so I was just nerding out and studying Mandarin obsessively before even ever going to a Chinese-speaking country. I was planning to go live in China after I graduated to finish "getting good" at Chinese and becoming really really fluent etc.

I think back on this period and on all the actually useful skills I could have learned in this time. I was working between 15-20 hours per week at my university and online, and I had a scholarship paying my tuition. I had shitloads of free time that I was sinking into learning Chinese. I could have been learning any number of actually valuable skills like writing, coding, math, etc. I could have been learning one of the skills that you can pair together with being super fluent in a language to create real value rather than perceived value. What I failed to realize at the time is that for "being good at Chinese" to actually be a useful skill that is worth the time you put into it, you have to have a base skill and thing you are good at to combine with Chinese fluency. Without that, you are a dumbass who wasted all his time learning a language who has no actual skills. There are millions of people out there who speak Mandarin and English better than you simply because they grew up with both languages. You can work really loving hard for ten years to partially overcome that, and if you are one of the rare people with a REALLY good ear, you MIGHT have pronunciation as good as an American-born Chinese. But you'll never look Chinese enough to overcome being a laowai.

When I got to China, I sort of loved it at first. I felt frustrated though when very few people on the street actually spoke Mandarin in Chongqing. I had just spent all of my time learning Mandarin, only to realize that Mandarin really is a "common language" in that it's something educated people will use to reach a common ground. It's not what is widely spoken all across China in day-to-day interactions. Even my friends in Chongqing who were educated spoke in a mishmash combination of Mandarin and Chonqing dialect, meaning that my immersion and picking up new words was pretty compromised because I could never tell if the tone or sounds of the word I was learning were Mandarin or not.

Skip ahead to the end of my time in China, and I hated it. If you're non-Chinese, you will never be treated like a non-oddity. You will always be a foreigner, regardless of your Mandarin ability. You will always have people shouting "HALOU" at you, you will always have people talking about your nose shape and other super racist stuff right in front of your face as if you can't understand them. Mainland China kind of loving sucks (I can't speak for Taiwan or HK), and learning Mandarin to better understand mainland China will only make you see its faults much more clearly. Keep in mind that you can live and have a decent life in China even if you don't speak Mandarin. Sinking tons of effort and years of your life into becoming proficient at Mandarin is not like learning French or German. It will not allow you to move through society like everyone else and become more integrated. You will NEVER integrate into Chinese society, and you'll probably always have to fight to get people to actually speak to you in Mandarin rather than English.

Add in the fact that Chinese media and entertainment is totally poo poo, and there is even less reason to learn Mandarin. It's almost entirely ripped off from Korean and Japanese pop culture, and anything that isn't is insanely, racistly anti-Japanese. I hope you like watching cartoonish and racist historical accounts of WWII where a lone Chinese hero eviscerates 10 Japanese dogs who piss their pants at the sight of him. There's a few good things in Chinese film and literature, but they are so comparatively far and few between that they cannot possibly justify the time investment.

There are a few highly specialized fields where learning Mandarin would actually make sense. More likely than not learning Mandarin is an awful trap that will very likely waste many years of your life for very little gain. When I got back from China, I was fluent in Mandarin and had a B.S. in Linguistics with no other real skills, so I couldn't find a job and had to work at a grocery store until I found a lovely office job that I worked for five years. My Mandarin ability in that job allowed me to have to deal with more Chinese people (a disadvantage) while not receiving any extra pay over my monolingual coworkers.

Finally, ten years later, I've almost completely disentangled myself with Mandarin and have no interest in getting better at it or speaking it. My wife and I only ever speak English, and her parents speak a lovely dialect that I can't speak or understand, so Mandarin didn't even help me there. I finally also have a job I like that pays well and has nothing to do with China or Mandarin. I could have reached this point in my career path like...eight years earlier...if I had just never bothered learning Mandarin.

If you are learning Mandarin or thinking about learning Mandarin, think of how many skills there are out there that will result in like...$70k+ annual salary after two years of hard work acquiring the skill. There are A LOT of skills like that out there, and Mandarin is not one of them. After two years of hard work on Mandarin, you will be firmly at the "can barely hold together a stilted conversation, and you're proud as gently caress of it" phase of language acquisition.
Did you just copypaste AO's post from way back?

E: you did. Very chinese. Every coin has two sides.

Power Khan fucked around with this message at 08:27 on Oct 26, 2016

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse

Ceciltron posted:

I speak English and French natively, and Spanish with a decent degree of fluency. I've learned Latin, Ancient Greek and German in university and college. I've taken classes on Sanskrit, Proto-Indo-European and comparative romance linguistics. When I say "gently caress Chinese for being purposely obtuse and hard to learn", I say so because I am comparing it to literal dead languages that are easier to learn than a living, breathing clusterfuck spoken by 1.6 billion people.

Am I a racist?

Still worse than German? Danke.

And yes.

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse

Falun Bong Refugee posted:

Dutch Pennsylvania and Argentina?

The best places in this world, Southern Germany, Austria and Switzerland.

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse
What happened?

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse

E_P posted:

There is a reason they can't find a guy normally.

Yea, but you gotta consider that it might be chinese reasons. Like her being over 26.

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse

Glenn Quebec posted:

Haier, it's a man.

No word of chocolate and peanuts on the pepper, so no.

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse

Kopijeger posted:

Was this in some small town or something? You'd think palefaces using chopsticks would have happened often enough by now that it had lost all novelty value. I wonder: has it ever happened anywhere that an entire restaurant worth of patrons and staff has gathered around to watch an East Asian use cutlery and be amazed that such a person can eat local food?

In the 1880s-1900s presumably.

e: Fits right in between a mummy unwrapping and the 8 o'clock yoghurt enema.

Power Khan fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Oct 28, 2016

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse
That argument by homoepathy supporters that actual medicine and pharmacy is just business and after your money and therefore cannot be trusted makes my hair stand when I think about that homeopathy poo poo with +20.000 times diluted something, which is basically just sugar or water. It's loving expensive too.

I worked at an ISP and every now and then one of these shithead companies would call in from the rear end-end of nowhere with a premium account and the highest SLA. That kind that costs a couple of thousand € each month, and that wasn't even a mid tier companies. Just small no name businesses.

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse
48 new posts, let's see what it is. Lucky me. So much luck.

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse

That's a staggering level of aggression from an animal that's half comatose most of it's time.

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse

LGD posted:

This is the thread for spectacularly stupid arguments about the coming Chinese century, right?

What am I reading here.

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse
Alot of the good peepee things that we discussed in this thread happening in one story:

http://www.ejinsight.com/20161102-wenzhou-tourists-arrested-in-australia-for-urinating-in-garden/

quote:

When approached by the police, the two tried to flee. The older man got into an argument with the police and resisted arrest, according to the press release.

Baton use up?

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse
In a place that's faking rice, how likely is it that you actually drank beer and not some cheap industrial ethanol with some piss added.

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse

I look like the white version of ths guy.

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse

ladron posted:

I take it you smoke a lot of weed

Yesss. And I bet nobody noticed the archer's ring on his thumb.

Fun story, I was at an auction in Munich a few months ago and they sold some of these thumbrings with the imperial seal on. While the chinese bought some ancient bows for 12k and stuff, they'd drop staggering 29k for these jade rings who were supposed to be sold for a couple of hundred bucks. A dude who deals with these antiquities told me that the chinese buy this jade poo poo like crazy and you can be sure that the ones from newer provinence are fake.

A dude who knows the symbolism and the deco of the respective era could easily turn these and there's no telling that they're no antiquities.

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse

Haier posted:

I'm the Asola.

Not sure if that's the right way to spell rear end in a top hat.

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse
As a slav, I don't understand why you would reward them with potato?

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse

Blistex posted:

Also, I'm going stick my neck out and say that Korea might have perfected BBQ chicken, like "it's peak BBQ chicken" and can't be improved upon.

Oh lawdy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse

Haier posted:

Bhai, plz dont bhabhi shame.

Infinitely more interesting than China.

• Locked thread