Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

https://twitter.com/suigyu_bot/status/870872311531843584

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

I really need help because I've hosed up pretty badly here and don't really know what to do, or where to begin resolving anything!

I'm white, and I came to China about a year ago to work as an English teacher for a limited period of time before heading back home to the US (Midwest) - I decided on it on a whim after completing my BSc in Econ and realizing this might be my last chance to travel and experience another part of the world before settling down into the daily grind of a career. I pursued Chinese language classes alongside degree just out of something to do extracurricular-wise (I like economics but studying something so formally always takes the fun out of it) and passed my HSK3 last year.

Anyway. I'm in Shenzhen to be exact. And I met a guy about 6 months ago, Chinese, who works for a web-services company here and who also went to college in America. There are barely any single western guys here so I thought I'd give it a shot, plus he's cute and seemed to have his poo poo together. And besides, I actually quite like the school here since it's a private school devoted to English language teaching.

Everything was cool for the first month or so, lots of gifts, complimenting me on my blonde hair and I won't lie, I liked the attention. So he convinced me to cancel the rolling lease I have on my place (at his expense!) and move on with him.

From there on things started getting worse. He'd demand to know who I was chatting to on my phone, he'd ask me to block male friends from WeChat, he monitors my social media activity and emails, he'd do this under the guise of ensuring we were both loyal - and initially offered to give me his phone whenever I wanted it (but only his non-work phone). He has become increasingly paranoid, prone to outbursts of rage, a lot of his insults are racialized and he claims you can't trust white women as we're all whores, I realize "abusive" is sometimes overused but over the past month he has started to kick me if I don't do things like washing for him quickly enough. It's not enough to cause serious injury but apparently stuff like this predicts future violence in a relationship.

So I'm using a VPN to access Reddit right now. Bf is asleep and I just want some advice on what to do next. Can I go to the consulate and ask for their help, or will they turn me away? I'm prepared to leave the country outright at this point because I'm honestly done here. I told a female (Chinese) colleague and she just laughed it off saying that's what men are like.

I don't want to involve my parents as they'd be unhappy with both my relationship choice and how it's turned out, and I don't want a "told you so" story when I'm suffering like this, and I don't want to rely on them financially.

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

She's going to the consulate.

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

The real gold is in the comments

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

In the Warcraft movie the main guy kills an orc with a Chinese sword. It was a bad movie.

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

How dare you.

S: too late

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

Those bumfight videos always make me a little bit sad

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

angel opportunity posted:

In China you will get people who just say: "My favorite hobby is Dota. I love to play Dota with my friends. It's such a great game. This weekend I am going to go to the internet cafe and play Dota all night with my friends. Do you want to come play with me?" I find this really refreshing, and I find that Chinese people don't judge everything else about you if you admit to having a hobby that isn't cool or doesn't meet some imagined standard of normalcy.

I am moving to china to teach english!

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

:gowron:

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

1. shirt
2. vest
3. jacket
4. pants
5. tie

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

it looks like poo

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

who would win the china - india boarder war?

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

Ups_rail posted:

I remember reading some article about black people not liking interracial adoption because they believed white people wouldnt be able to teach the children how to handle dealing with racism. Like the story about the dude in canada.

Its common to see in popular media the idea of "just be who you are" but the way people see you can have a pretty loving strong effect and going to a place where you are regarded differently for reason totally beyond your control can really gently caress a dude up, hell he might start drinking or worse walking alot and loving gross women he met on the internet.

Omg

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

he is perfectly fine? what the heck you guys are so rude.

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

Which country has the best rear end? I'm looking to teach English overseas and this is my only concern.

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

noo

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

i have seen more people die in this thread then i have in my 5 consecutive tours in Afghanistan

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

Air goes into lungs, maybe.

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

TTerrible posted:

You don't understand, westerners are different.

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

god drat it

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

citizenship is bullshit anyway

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

Maybe people are the same, no matter where you are.

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

gotta get em fresh

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

I love death

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

Rip haire.

How are the dead remembered in China? Or India I guess

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

Ceciltron posted:

*makes sucking sound by drawing air between teeth*.

*folds hands behind back and leans in*

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

A computer is a box with eyes inside.

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

corea

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

gently caress Diwali is on Thursday fuckkk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

Grand Fromage posted:

Natives have actually lived in the Americas for a while longer than that--there's human settlements in Chile dated to about 16,000 years and the current thinking is people started crossing between 20 and 30,000 years ago. :eng101:

When I've taught American history the first third of the class is all before a single white person even shows up. The students who pay attention are amazed at the pyramids in Peru many thousands of years older than anything in China. Also, to their credit, they never claim China is the oldest civilization. Usually they think it's Egypt.

The american pyramids are millions of years old and were built by aliens.

• Locked thread