Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
nong
Apr 20, 2016

Never Forget
The Century Of National Humiliation.
uber but with chinese characteristics

http://qz.com/786179/uber-china-driver-scams-ghost-drivers-are-freaking-out-passengers-and-scamming-uber-for-money/

Passengers using the ride-hailing app in several Chinese cities have reported seeing their requests picked up by drivers with creepy profile photos of zombie faces. According to Chinese news site Sixth Tone, the point of these ghostly profiles is to scare passengers into canceling the trip, so they are fined for a few yuan (less than a dollar), which goes to the driver.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nong
Apr 20, 2016

Never Forget

Accretionist posted:

Driving culture gets weird. When I was in Naples, Italy, it was the worst driving I've ever seen. It was like if you so much as made eye-contact with another driver, it was a sign of weakness and you were getting cut-off or not let in. Like, my sister was stopped at a stop light once. This got her rear ended. The other driver said he kept thinking she was going to accelerate any second now right up until the crash. It's like bumper cars except every hit costs you money so you try to avoid but, fundamentally, it's still bumper cars logic. It's just weaving in and out and around all the time, nothing else.

At 14:17, both drivers were probably thinking, "I don't stop. They stop," right up until the end.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AjGXn249Fc0

nong
Apr 20, 2016

Never Forget

Chomp8645 posted:

So not only was there not a food embargo, but China specifically rejected offers of food assistance while actively exported large amounts of food at the time they were starving.

That's so Mao.

The other guy gets it.
You lose face if you owe other people anything because it shows the other person is better than you and you dont want that. On the macro scale, you want to show that you are a strong country and have every other countries' respect at the bargaining table.

On a more local level, this also means you want to fight tooth and nail to pay for other people's meals when you guys go out to eat.

nong
Apr 20, 2016

Never Forget

McGavin posted:

I have had so many free meals because of this.
You have lost many faces and must be ashamed of yourself.

It's more like a pride thing which is actually one of the negative aspect in the western culture but doesn't really exist in China.

nong
Apr 20, 2016

Never Forget
Medicine with Chinese characteristics

http://www.rfa.org/english/news/china/clinical-fakes-09272016141438.html

China's food and drug regulator recently carried out a one-year review of clinical trials, concluding that more than 80 percent of clinical data is "fabricated," state media reported.

The scandal is the result of "breach of duty by supervision departments and malpractice by pharmaceutical companies, intermediary agents and medical staff," the State Food and Drug Administration (SFDA) said in its report.

The review looked at data from 1,622 clinical trial programs of new pharmaceutical drugs awaiting regulator approval for mass production, according to an expose in the Economic Information Daily newspaper.

More than 80 percent of applications for mass production of new drugs have been canceled in the light of the findings, with officials warning that further evidence malpractice could still emerge in the scandal.

According to the SFDA report, much of the data gathered during clinical trials were incomplete, failed to meet analysis requirements or were untraceable, the paper cited a source in the agency as saying.

nong
Apr 20, 2016

Never Forget
Also Coco is the name of a famous singer in the chinese province of taiwan back in the 90's.
She was born in the chinese region of hong kong, later expanded internationally and even performed at oscar.

nong
Apr 20, 2016

Never Forget

Sheep-Goats posted:

There was some food noise in Taiwan but in general they were considerate when they ate. Thai people have the best overall table manners of anyone on earth.

It's the goddamn mainlanders every time.

and when you put Chinese in a Thai buffet..

nong
Apr 20, 2016

Never Forget

The Great Autismo! posted:

like today I went to swim for working out and two...I would guess 10-12 year olds followed me into the locker room and one of them was like "the foreigner will shower maybe we can have a look" and they awkwardly stood at the shower while I changed and I just ignored them because why ever bother. I had an old man scream in my face when I was changing clothes HALLLOUUUU after I finished my work out. I had a girl in my apartment complex, after I held the elevator door for her, tell me she didn't want to take this elevator. And a grandma and her granddaughter got up and moved seats when I sat down next to them on the bus.

All of this happened to me...not in the past year, not in the past month...in the past 24 hours. Should I start a hash tag? No, I came home to my wife and kid and ignored it like an adult, tho I did mock it on WeChat in one group I'm a part of, and mock it here on somethingawful.

Welcome to a day in the life of TGA, the long blond hair, blue eyed foreigner who understands Chinese. Today was worse than most...but not by much
You seem to be pretty racist for even noticing these normal behaviors of human nature's curiosity, kindness in greeting you with their own way and the fact that you might be sexist in seeing woman as weak and need a man's help.

Just stay out of the country if you see all the above as a negative instead of a country that's changing and improving itself after so many foreign powers ravaged it in recent time.

But of course you are going to stay while taking advantage of the place and milking for all its worth like many others have done.

nong
Apr 20, 2016

Never Forget

ya you should be probated from the forums, i think is what we decided. mods?

it's great that using the word "nong" is apparently at the same punishment level as sexual harassment

It's actually fine if it's used topical and not used as a slur. Like how Xi Dada recently pronounced nong as the word for 'clothing' in his speech.

Also

School Nickname posted:

My first ever attempt at photoshopping something (using GIMP). Mods please don't ban me for using the n-word.

nong
Apr 20, 2016

Never Forget

posting on page 88 of the China thread

Just ya'll wait till page 888.

nong
Apr 20, 2016

Never Forget
This is few page back but lol @ all the people here complaining about the locals not understand or giving you guys a blank stare when you speak the local language.
Because, for some reason, the foreigners seem to unable to admit that maybe, just MAYBE that they suck at speaking the local language?

Especially with language using multiple tonal pronunciations that will end up being completely off and unintelligible if the speaker dont say it right. At best that it seems funny when they butcher the pronunciations, or it can be down right irritating and annoying.

Go home and practice more instead of complaining about it.

nong
Apr 20, 2016

Never Forget
Welp. There's your problem.
You are equating someone haven't zero problems understanding you to that your pronunciations can be understood by everyone.

Some people can be good at dealing butchered pronunciations. But some people just can't understand them at all. This happens in english too but it's much more severe when foreigners say a similar word but with broken tones that can mean completely different things.

My earlier point still stand, which is go home and practice more.
But I guess this is the mocking chinese thread so we should follow the racist joke of "it's easier to just blame it on others and save face" even thought you are literally doing this subconsciously at this very moment.

nong
Apr 20, 2016

Never Forget

Sheep-Goats posted:

The tones are not hard at all after like two weeks of being in China and native speakers flatten and often flat out fail to pronounce tones all the time. If anything speaking intelligible Chinese to a Chinese hick gets you stared at harder than speaking really lovely Chinese because that's fukken bizzaro eowowowoeowow
The joke is that when you say "intelligible Chinese" spoken by foreigners it's most likely to be unintelligible garbage.

It's quite funny to see great examples of Dunning-Kruger effect at full swing right here.

nong
Apr 20, 2016

Never Forget

it's not the dunning-kruger effect when you have taken an exam that says you have passed a certain level

course that was in 2013, i actually think my characters are worse now than they were then because i haven't studied at all since that summer
Now we are getting to the point where a poster is arguing how competent they are because they did this well on this test.

Wait where have we seen this before? And didn't we just ragged on asian countries for their exam based education system?

Also, it's hilariously that you are trying to point to a test that's "made up of listening comprehension, reading comprehension and writing and contains a total of 100 test items" to try and prove how well you can butcher the pronunciations :downsbravo:

I guess the upside is that you basically shows all the traits that we laughed at earlier so you might actually be a local after all.

nong
Apr 20, 2016

Never Forget

you can think whatever you want, lol

Yeah, like those people who couldn't understand you when you try to speak to them :v:

nong
Apr 20, 2016

Never Forget

Lazer Monkey posted:

Your username makes me suspicious of you using a alt specifically made to troll this thread..
Pointing out that it might be somewhat racist to think "lol those dumb asians and their cultural inability to understand my perfectly spoken local language due to my skin color" when in fact it might just be people are honestly having a hard time understanding them is trolling?

And the fact the person just can't admit that possibility and want to point to *~some tests~* that they took to prove how well they can speak just makes it funnier.
Especially since it's in the same country they derided for having lovely exam based education system.

nong fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Nov 5, 2016

nong
Apr 20, 2016

Never Forget

Third World Reggin posted:

Saying it happens is not racist. Saying it always happens is racist.

Pretending people in this thread have said it always happens is trolling.

My bad if I misunderstood them as most posters seems to be saying that it always happens.

nong
Apr 20, 2016

Never Forget

Falun Bong Refugee posted:

I'm a dick to you guys intentionally because you deserve it. I enjoy making you squrim in your safe space by merely pointing out the obvious.
Who is 'you guys'?

And I totally agree with you that most people here are loser expats (or sexpacts judging from the last few posts) who thinks they can speak perfect local language because some tests they took, when in fact they are spewing unintelligible garbage.

nong
Apr 20, 2016

Never Forget

big time bisexual posted:

attn: haier re: post 90s beauties

https://my.mixtape.moe/jyouoy.mp4

"seeking the most CAPABLE husband

wealth is not important, only your potential"

the joke is the phrase for "CAPABLE" is actually from two words that means "CAN DO" and the "DO" part can also be translated to 'gently caress'

essentially it jokes about "hiring: looking for husband that can gently caress the most, money isn't important, as long as you can gently caress"

nong
Apr 20, 2016

Never Forget

fish and chips and dip posted:

On the contrary, most people I know are all like "look how amazing China is, they get so much done, Chinese education is so good, we should emulate China", doesn't even seem to be limited to a specific political leaning.
But it is amazing.

People have to remember that China didn't try and build up with previous foundations as it was all raped and pillaged by the Japanese.
They had to make do with what's handed to them and they are actually doing really well.

With all the lawlessness of westernized 'democracy' they wouldn't be where they are today. Just look at how the USA is doing on a world level and what they did in Iraq.

nong
Apr 20, 2016

Never Forget

Coolguye posted:

let me just sit in awe of building a crony-capital military-industrial complex and billions upon billions of dollars of useless and literally empty construction undertaken for no other reason than some government dipshit's gordon gecko style real estate deal, culminating in an economic system so robust that the existence of loving bitcoin fills its owners with mortal fear of disenfranchisement
That sounds like the stuff the so called "Western Democracy" is promoting.
Not to make it into a political thread but you should look at how the recent tax bill in the United States of America was passed and re-read what you've wrote carefully.

fish and chips and dip posted:

Love it how she keeps reffering to Americans in the US a foreigners.
It's all perspective. The americans will always be "foreigners" from an outsider perspective. Like how "indians" and native indians are the same to some people.

nong
Apr 20, 2016

Never Forget

Devils Affricate posted:

The new tax bill is some bad poo poo, but it is nothing compared to the systematic, focused persecution that the Chinese government carries out daily on the country's poor/rural population. They literally don't allow you to move to higher tier cities based on your lower class background. If you tried to explain the problematic issue of gentrification to a Chinese person, they probably wouldn't be able to comprehend what you're talking about, because such a concept is so far removed from even being considered a problem as opposed to the natural order of things.
stdh.txt

eames posted:

pretty hillarious drama surrounding Zotac and one of their sponsored SC showmatch events, admittedly not very relevant to their GPUs but we have enough sad vega news in here. :v:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9fzfI_bOTqk&t=1025s

and explanation here

nong
Apr 20, 2016

Never Forget

Coolguye posted:

government-linked officials in China own over 80% of the economic activity in the country
it's still good to improve their living condition as they were literally living in rural villages made of bricks and mortar

also lol you want to talk about aids, the person who enabled an aids epidermic in the US are literally in your country as the vice president RIGHT NOW

it's pretty out of touch to criticize what other countries are doing is 'bad' when 'bad' is better than the 'worse' that came before

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nong
Apr 20, 2016

Never Forget

hakimashou posted:

One thing I do legit miss about China is hanging out at the tea shop with friends drinking gongfu cha prepared by the nice lady for an hour.

• Locked thread